TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course suggestion for middle tennrsse

Mr_Theoo

I’ll be in Tennessee next week and wondered if any one has any suggestions on where to play at? Thanks

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

6 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I’ll be in Tennessee next week and wondered if any one has any suggestions on where to play at? Thanks

I will give you a short answer and a long answer. Short answer is Hermitage Golf Course (President's Reserve or Generals Retreat). Feel free to ask more questions, I have a LOT of thoughts. 

Long answer is that we have some good options in varying price ranges. Just know that on the weekends all of the below mentioned golf courses are slammed and very difficult to find tee times. 

Less than $50
The best municipal course ($34 to walk on the weekend) is Harpeth Hills. It is in good condition for a city course, has elevation change and can be a bit tight in places but overall is an excellent layout. Greystone in Dickson is great but is about 40 minutes from Nashville. Tons of elevation change, some wild hole designs and good conditions. Henry Horton in Chapel Hill, TN (50 minutes from Nashville) is a phenomenal walk in the woods and is cut right into a state park. Some of the best public greens we can offer and a nice piece of property. Legacy north of Nashville has some really diabolical greens. It is a bit of a hike from Nashville so I don't play there often but always have a good time out there. Finally, Montgomery Bell is a nice state park course as well but has a few blind shots that may be frustrating the first time through. Very cool piece of property though but you would probably find Greystone more enjoyable as it is only 10 minutes away from Montgomery Bell. 

Higher end ($70-$100)
Hermitage (as mentioned above) has two 18 holes courses and I tend to think it is the best public option in Nashville, General's is a back and forth layout where the holes are all next to each other in some fashion but has a lot of different challenges throughout. President's feels more secluded and you can rarely see multiple holes at a time. Also President's fairways are Zoysia so the ball sits up quite well. Gaylord is a decent option in that the conditions are always top notch. It is a resort course that has almost no trees on the entire interior of the property. The guys that run it are jerks so I don't play there. Towhee Club is coming along nicely and they just built a new clubhouse (if that matters). The greens are VERY fast and the layout is a bit different in that it has 5 par 3s. Conditions are good but pace can be very slow due to the numerous par 3s and a driveable par 4.

Probably Pass on
Franklin Bridge
12 Stones
Ted Rhodes, McCabe, Two Rivers (munis)
Smyrna
Old Fort
Percy Warner/Vinny Links/Harpeth Valley (executive courses)

Avoid at all costs
Nashville National
Champions Run
Country Hills
Pine Creek
Shelby Golf Course (downtown Nashville)

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

7 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

What part of Tennessee? It's 8 hours across from east to west? @vandyland got you covered above if you will be in and around the Nashville area. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What part of Tennessee? It's 8 hours across from east to west? @vandyland got you covered above if you will be in and around the Nashville area. 

Middle Tennessee. So think Clarksville down to Shelbyville basically. Thanks @vandylandill look into those

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

4 hours ago, vandyland said:

I will give you a short answer and a long answer. Short answer is Hermitage Golf Course (President's Reserve or Generals Retreat). Feel free to ask more questions, I have a LOT of thoughts. 

Long answer is that we have some good options in varying price ranges. Just know that on the weekends all of the below mentioned golf courses are slammed and very difficult to find tee times. 

Less than $50
The best municipal course ($34 to walk on the weekend) is Harpeth Hills. It is in good condition for a city course, has elevation change and can be a bit tight in places but overall is an excellent layout. Greystone in Dickson is great but is about 40 minutes from Nashville. Tons of elevation change, some wild hole designs and good conditions. Henry Horton in Chapel Hill, TN (50 minutes from Nashville) is a phenomenal walk in the woods and is cut right into a state park. Some of the best public greens we can offer and a nice piece of property. Legacy north of Nashville has some really diabolical greens. It is a bit of a hike from Nashville so I don't play there often but always have a good time out there. Finally, Montgomery Bell is a nice state park course as well but has a few blind shots that may be frustrating the first time through. Very cool piece of property though but you would probably find Greystone more enjoyable as it is only 10 minutes away from Montgomery Bell. 

Higher end ($70-$100)
Hermitage (as mentioned above) has two 18 holes courses and I tend to think it is the best public option in Nashville, General's is a back and forth layout where the holes are all next to each other in some fashion but has a lot of different challenges throughout. President's feels more secluded and you can rarely see multiple holes at a time. Also President's fairways are Zoysia so the ball sits up quite well. Gaylord is a decent option in that the conditions are always top notch. It is a resort course that has almost no trees on the entire interior of the property. The guys that run it are jerks so I don't play there. Towhee Club is coming along nicely and they just built a new clubhouse (if that matters). The greens are VERY fast and the layout is a bit different in that it has 5 par 3s. Conditions are good but pace can be very slow due to the numerous par 3s and a driveable par 4.

Probably Pass on
Franklin Bridge
12 Stones
Smyrna
Old Fort

Avoid at all costs
Nashville National
Champions Run
Country Hills
Pine Creek

+1 on both courses at Hermitage.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played Gaylord Springs this spring and the course was nice. Links-ish style with not many trees as mentioned, but decent amount of fescue and water. It poured heavy for 2 days before I played there, so was pretty impressed we could even play.  Also had a buddy highly recommend Hermitage, but haven't played myself.

PXG 0811 X Driver
PXG 4th gen 2i
Callaway big bertha 3h
PXG 2nd gen 4i-GW
Vokey sm6 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

14 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Middle Tennessee. So think Clarksville down to Shelbyville basically. Thanks @vandylandill look into those

@vandyland got it spot on. 

34 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

@vandyland got it spot on.

Thanks, Tom. I have (potentially too many) thoughts on the golf courses in and around Nashville. The overwhelming sentiment with other golfers my age is that Nashville has crappy public golf and I totally disagree with that. I think we have courses that are acceptable and fun in almost every price tier and I love to debate the different layouts. If someone goes out and plays Hermitage or Greystone or Henry Horton and doesn't have a good time they might just not like golf, haha. 

In Nashville (and probably everywhere) pace of play has been exceptionally slow since COVID because more and more people are playing golf. It's just the state of the game. I can say that during the week if you head out to Henry Horton or Montgomery Bell you will likely zip around no problem. As for me, I prefer to play with other people so I like getting paired up BUT then I also complain when it is slow....seems like I want to have it both ways. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

59 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Thanks, Tom. I have (potentially too many) thoughts on the golf courses in and around Nashville. The overwhelming sentiment with other golfers my age is that Nashville has crappy public golf and I totally disagree with that. I think we have courses that are acceptable and fun in almost every price tier and I love to debate the different layouts. If someone goes out and plays Hermitage or Greystone or Henry Horton and doesn't have a good time they might just not like golf, haha. 

In Nashville (and probably everywhere) pace of play has been exceptionally slow since COVID because more and more people are playing golf. It's just the state of the game. I can say that during the week if you head out to Henry Horton or Montgomery Bell you will likely zip around no problem. As for me, I prefer to play with other people so I like getting paired up BUT then I also complain when it is slow....seems like I want to have it both ways. 

There is good and bad in every area.  My side of the state is no exception. I can rattle off some good ones and some stay away from courses. But it's all relative to what someone is willing to pay as well. Your not going to get a four star course for $28.00. I have seen a decrease in play now that a lot of restrictions have been lifted form the COVID world. But in saying that, my side of the state isn't as populated as middle TN. I typically only get as far West as Crossville to play golf. Too many good courses in that area. It would be hard to justify driving past there. 

I wish I would have thought of you. I had four week long passes for the Simmons Bank Open (Korn Ferry tour) when they were at "The Grove" in Franklin TN in May.  It was a six hour drive for me so I didn't go. I hear that's a pretty nice course but as usual the nice ones are private. 

I did get to play in Memphis at TPC Southwind. For all the hype, I found it just ok. I played another out there but I forgot the name. I would have to look it up. I keep a spreadsheet (golf geek), I know! 

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I wish I would have thought of you. I had four week long passes for the Simmons Bank Open (Korn Ferry tour) when they were at "The Grove" in Franklin TN in May.  It was a six hour drive for me so I didn't go. I hear that's a pretty nice course but as usual the nice ones are private. 

I appreciate that. I have two very small kids so unlikely I could have gotten out there so no real opportunity missed there, haha. I played the Grove once at a corporate event and it is very private. It is a club where you have to own property in the residential development to belong and it is quite pricey (easily $2M+). Very good conditioning but kind of a forgettable course. The course is relatively flat because they saved all the elevation for housing, which is a shame but understandable. That said I would gladly accept a membership there and delete this post entirely! I will likely mosey out there once my kids get older and wow them with tales of the 83 I shot out there, ha. 

So I ended up playing champions run yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I played really well for it being my first time out all season. I wonder if I’m just playing golf in the wrong state with how well I played lol

3 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

So I ended up playing champions run yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I played really well for it being my first time out all season. I wonder if I’m just playing golf in the wrong state with how well I played lol

A little late to the party on this thread.....but I am glad that you gave Champion's Run a chance despite some earlier negative comments.  I have played Champion's Run since it was built in 2002 and have seen the course mature.  It's a public golf course...but...in my opinion...it is one of the best public courses that I have ever played.  Approaching the end of a 30 year Army career...I have played public golf all over this country...and I have never come across a public course that caters to its patrons like Champions Run.  They do their best to remember your name.  In my opinion...they are more than just a business.

I hope that you had a good experience and I would ask what bad experiences some have had in order to garner negative comments.  I will be glad to let the Champions Run Director of Golf and/or the Head Golf Pro know.  I am sure that, if there is any validity to the complaints, they will fix it.

Driver - Sub 70 849D - Fujikura Pro 62 Tour Spec

4 Wood - Sub 70 949X - Sub 70 Project X

7 Wood - Sub 70 949X - Sub 70 Project X

5 iron - Sub 70 699 Pro U V2 23*

6-AW - Sub 70 699 Pro V2

SW - Sub 70 TAIII 2023 Limited Edition Forged 54*

LW - Sub 70 TAIII 2023 Limited  Forged 58*

Putter - PXG Bat Attack

The Nashville area courses have been covered pretty well, so I'm thinking about those on the fringes of Middle Tennessee.  If you can get on, Sweetens Cove is one to play - interesting layout and a unique challenge.  A little closer, try the University of the South course at Sewanee - consistently ranked as one of the best in the state.  Both of these are 9-hole courses that play differently based on tees and pins.  An hour north of Nashville is Kenny Perry's course at Franklin, KY.  I haven't played it since Covid, but it was an enjoyable course to play.

Edited by No3Putts

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

On 7/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, hawkdriver said:

A little late to the party on this thread.....but I am glad that you gave Champion's Run a chance despite some earlier negative comments.  I have played Champion's Run since it was built in 2002 and have seen the course mature.  It's a public golf course...but...in my opinion...it is one of the best public courses that I have ever played.  Approaching the end of a 30 year Army career...I have played public golf all over this country...and I have never come across a public course that caters to its patrons like Champions Run.  They do their best to remember your name.  In my opinion...they are more than just a business.

I hope that you had a good experience and I would ask what bad experiences some have had in order to garner negative comments.  I will be glad to let the Champions Run Director of Golf and/or the Head Golf Pro know.  I am sure that, if there is any validity to the complaints, they will fix it.

I was shocked to hear them call my name over the loud speaker that I was on the tee lol  I thought the layout is really nice and challenging without being unfair

On 7/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, hawkdriver said:

I hope that you had a good experience and I would ask what bad experiences some have had in order to garner negative comments.

@hawkdriverI'll bite. I thought it was fine but waaay too far to justify driving out there from Nashville. If I lived in Rockvale I would be fine playing there. My main complaint, since you asked, is how small/narrow the greens are in many places. Hole #6 is a long par 4 with a green that is elevated and 15 yds wide which seems too narrow for a mid-long iron approach. Hole 8 is even sillier in that it is another 400+ yd hole with a green that is 12 yds (yes TWELVE) wide. See below:

image.png.32b24106d744bb8c214b4d949064aeaa.png

Hole 14 has a green that is 10 yds wide. Hole 15 has a green that is 11 yds deep. Etc. Also the first par 3 (hole #3) is a bit ridiculous in the slope of the green. I made a par but everyone else in my group got completely ejected. Overall, I think Champions Run is probably a great test for a golfer who is a very strong iron player with great distance control. But for us mortals, personally, I don't think it is fun to play into greens that small and have to try to get up and down all day. Back to hole 14, which I will do a brief breakdown of: 

image.png.4f5275eabd5440e52c0b05f41b35f8bf.png

So from the one ups (not the tips) this is a 442 yd par 4 which is....stout. The landing area at 260 just past that blue dot above is 49 yds wide. If you manage to land on the left center of the fairway with a 260 yd drive, you have about 180 yds in. For me, that is a solid 5 iron, the green dimensions are 10 yds wide by 23 yd deep. Now there isn't a ton of trouble around this green but that is still a tiny target from that distance. I had that feeling on repeat throughout my round. Hitting mid/long irons into tiny greens. Maybe that makes me sound like a baby or I don't want to be challenged but, again, for me, that is not fun golf. And I'm not driving an hour+ for average conditions and tiny greens. I mean no ill will towards Champions Run. 

Edited by vandyland

• 1 month later...

I used to live in Nashville, and @vandyland is spot on. Personally, I find Greystone way more enjoyable than Hermitage, but it’s a hike to get there. Just far more unique. Also a big fan of Harpeth Hills.

When I was in school (and in my early working years before having kids), I liked McCabe not for the quality, but because it is convenient, cheap, and you can play nine holes pretty quickly. After playing, it’s a walk across the street to the McCabe Pub for some suds and burgers.

@Mr_Theoo hope you had a good time. 

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, vandyland said:

Less than $50

Higher end ($70-$100)

Probably Pass on
Franklin Bridge
12 Stones
Smyrna
Old Fort

Avoid at all costs
Nashville National
Champions Run
Country Hills
Pine Creek

This is good stuff...My buddies trip this year we are coming down in May and we are looking at playing Hermitage, Greystone, and Towhee. Obviously I was glad to hear what you said. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on these courses, and what your next 2 would be to play given all the options!

Oh man, I LOVE to talk golf courses but I am not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. 

Towhee - Interesting layout (6 par 3s) but they have really greatly improved this course. They built a new clubhouse in the last few years and overall have great conditions out there (I haven't been in 6 months but in the summer the greens were quite pure). They also have a fairly unique hole at number 9 which is a driveable BUT blind par 4 (the green is hidden behind a large mound). If it was closer I would play it more often. Fairly open course outside of a few holes and overall you get some elevation change, water, can be a bit exposed to wind, all that. Good choice.

Hermitage - Echo what I said above, still probably the best full facility in Nashville. President's is more dramatic and General's is much easier to walk. 

Greystone - Should be in good shape in the spring, they have bent grass greens which can get a little sparse in the summer. Generally hosts a lot of opens, qualifiers, etc. but is quite wide open after the first hole. Has some big elevation changes and is a rather bold design in some places. 

Next 2:

Gaylord - I used to be pretty down on Gaylord Opryland but I have changed my mind a bit since then, especially for out of town visitors. Great conditions, very open golf course with a lot of man-made "mounding" if you are into that (they are going for a "links" feel in landlocked Nashville). Mostly hosts out of town players because it is fairly expensive but delivers on a good experience. 

Legacy - Now, I have only played this golf course once but I found it to be really fun. The clubhouse and range aren't particularly impressive but the course is in good shape and is a varied and fair test. Also, I think the pricing is pretty good for what you get. It is a bit of hike but not much farther than Towhee (opposite direction) depending on where you are staying. 

5 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Oh man, I LOVE to talk golf courses but I am not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. 

Towhee - Interesting layout (6 par 3s) but they have really greatly improved this course. They built a new clubhouse in the last few years and overall have great conditions out there (I haven't been in 6 months but in the summer the greens were quite pure). They also have a fairly unique hole at number 9 which is a driveable BUT blind par 4 (the green is hidden behind a large mound). If it was closer I would play it more often. Fairly open course outside of a few holes and overall you get some elevation change, water, can be a bit exposed to wind, all that. Good choice.

Hermitage - Echo what I said above, still probably the best full facility in Nashville. President's is more dramatic and General's is much easier to walk. 

Greystone - Should be in good shape in the spring, they have bent grass greens which can get a little sparse in the summer. Generally hosts a lot of opens, qualifiers, etc. but is quite wide open after the first hole. Has some big elevation changes and is a rather bold design in some places. 

Next 2:

Gaylord - I used to be pretty down on Gaylord Opryland but I have changed my mind a bit since then, especially for out of town visitors. Great conditions, very open golf course with a lot of man-made "mounding" if you are into that (they are going for a "links" feel in landlocked Nashville). Mostly hosts out of town players because it is fairly expensive but delivers on a good experience. 

Legacy - Now, I have only played this golf course once but I found it to be really fun. The clubhouse and range aren't particularly impressive but the course is in good shape and is a varied and fair test. Also, I think the pricing is pretty good for what you get. It is a bit of hike but not much farther than Towhee (opposite direction) depending on where you are staying. 

Where is Legacy? That may be on our way home which we usually stop somewhere and play. 

It is north of Nashville, probably *kind of* on the way back to Ohio...

image.png.ce13d63c63bd93d79abe7b0dcf3b88d9.png

You might want to replace the Legacy with Park Mammoth Golf course in Kentucky. I haven't played there yet but I am dying to. It should be right on the way home. 

One last thing as I walk down memory lane here @jdischy...

Favorite Hole at Hermitage - #18, par 5 at President's Reserve, basically how much do you want to take on off the tee over the water...

image.png.3f1337c5f6a4697682e58efd61647ad9.png

Favorite Hole at Towhee: #12, par 4. An uncomfortable tee shot for me but when I par or birdie this hole I feel like I really executed a few shots. The green is situated in a really cool spot and the whole "look" of this hole is great.

image.png.641b6febbcb17bb0a86436fe36a7bc29.png

Greystone: Hard to choose a favorite hole here but #17 the par 5 is pretty cool. Another "how much risk do you want to take on" hole that has a tee shot from an elevated tee tucked in the woods out over water and the green almost extends into the water. #10 is also amazing (drops about 100 feet tee to green) but doesn't look that great on google earth pro. 

image.png.0e21c7970b57cf139f91becf7bb162b5.png

Gaylord: #4, the springhouse hole. Easy tee shot but quite challenging second shot. 

image.png.dc5ddd730768584776eee7911af5b17c.png

Legacy: #10, par 4. Tee shot is 40 feet downhill and semi blind. Green tilts about 10 feet left to right so you can land a ball on the left fringe and have it roll to almost the center of the green. Fun little hole if you know what you are doing. 

image.png.f8ca75a99ca33f1aa5cb11a6d25f5307.png