Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Simulator/Projector to pair with my SPG-8

Hi All,

Recently purchased a SPG-8 XL net with a projector screen, and was wondering by if anyone had any simulator and projector refs. I’ve heard Garmin R10 is good, but am open to suggestions.

I'm lost on projectors, would prefer cordless as it’s going no in my backyard, and one that won’t break bank.

You are going to try and project on a screen in your back yard? Sounds ambitious.  Before you spend a nickel you may want to think about how bright the throw from that projector will have to be to be seen - assuming you want to do this during day light hours.  Take an iPad out there and take a look….  When I have mine set up in my little backyard practice area I have to put it in a “shade box” to see the screen.  I think it will take a lot of lumens to get what you want. There is a reason most hitting bays and simulators are dark.  You might be better off w an iPad mounted to a stand you can see. 

But ask a pro.  Call someone like Indoor Golf Shop or Benq.com   Good luck. I’ll be watching this space to see what you find out because I have to be outside - my ceilings are too low

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

So it looks don’t need the projector per say. 

I have an IPad I could use to replace the TV as I won’t have one in the middle of the yard. You think this would work well? And/or would just viewing solely on my phone work?

The goal with this is more for the golf course simulator aspect, the feeling of actually playing a course.  I’m wondering if this would be worth it?

What else are you using?

I’ve got a Mevo+ that I connect to an iPad / and some times the iPad and iPhone. I use for practice range - either FSGolf, skills or the E6 range. 

I have an Irange sports stick - has a pointed end to push in the ground as well as flat base. A strong magnet that the iPad sticks to. Got the one w the adjustable top so I can put it on tilt. 

the sun can still be a challenge but anything outside will be challenging. I’ve got a big cantilevered sun umbrella that I use to try and keep my practice area cool and shade the iPad…. I’ve got a plastic base w artificial turf that just bakes all day and reflects the heat. 

good luck. Share what you put together 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Outdoors light levels might wash out the projector screen, unless you have lots of shade over it. Projectors are better indoors, where the light can be kept off the screen, and only have a light source on the hitting area. Use your iPad/iPhone outdoors, maybe with a television hooked up via HDMI. I’ve been hitting in my sunroom, using “Almost Golfballs”. Occasionally, I’ll hit a real golf ball, but my sunroom is mostly glass on the right hand wall. 

FB2A6E35-3DEB-45CB-9D78-455D677DAA29.jpeg

Edited by Duffertrent

• 3 months later...

I’m curious, now that you’ve had the SPG-8 for a few months now, is it durable and holding up well? Was it worth the high price?  I’m looking to pull the trigger on a new net soon and it’s my front runner.

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag