Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putter

Hello all, 

I currently have the Odyssey tri ball putter The putter is ok but was wondering if its time for a new putter. Is it more beneficial to get more comfortable with it. Was wondering if I should look at a newer putter since the tri ball is much older? i ve had the 3 ball putter for about 6 months now. 

The putters I was looking at TM spider tour #3, DFX 2 ball, Cleveland HB #4 and #11, Odyssey O Works #7, Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Kombi.

Thanks In Advance

fews412:    Use what feels good to you.   Many things in golf involve want, and a desire to change, and to have something new, and a limited few maybe involve a need (  a certain degree lofted club to fill in a gap in your irons)  but almost nothing in the game of golf involves "SHOULD", in my opinion.  There is no club you should hit off a tee on any given hole, there is no one thing that the golf swing should be.

I have a circa 2011 Ping Scottsdale "Wolverine" that still feels great to me, and recently found that actually practicing putts less than 10 feet, has allowed me to make more putts less than 10 feet in length.

My concern is that you say "get more comfortable with it".  If this means that when you swing it you just don't like how it feels when you are stroking putts then yes you want to get one that feels good when you swing it.  If get comfortable with it implies a belief that you should be making more putts with it, and think that a different putter will help then the answer is NO.   I went to Dick's way back then and spent an hour swinging every putter they had under $150, I picked the one that just felt best when I stroked a ball with it, didn't seem to me I had to swing it too hard or too soft.  I believe it truly is just about what feels best to you.   Making putts comes down to one thing, and that is practicing putts less than 8 feet(Pros 50/50 make distance).  If you want to make more 4.5 footers, practice 4.5 footers with whatever putter feels good to you.

I would just say be careful, and clear on what results you are expecting, when you start asking yourself if you "should" do something, where the game of golf is concerned.  Now if you just "want" to buy a new putter, then that is something completely different.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, fews412 said:

Hello all, 

I currently have the Odyssey tri ball putter The putter is ok but was wondering if its time for a new putter. Is it more beneficial to get more comfortable with it. Was wondering if I should look at a newer putter since the tri ball is much older? i ve had the 3 ball putter for about 6 months now. 

The putters I was looking at TM spider tour #3, DFX 2 ball, Cleveland HB #4 and #11, Odyssey O Works #7, Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Kombi.

Thanks In Advance

Lots of possible perspectives on this topic.  

1.  Is an older putter bad?  No, it is just an older putter the hits the ball som distance.  People use putters that are 50+ years old.   

2. comfortable….lots of definitions for this word.   Does comfortable mean learn how to putt better?  Does it mean more comfortable with the looks or feel? Or that it doesn’t feel right when you swing it and you get poor results?   There are basically two ways to approach a putter,  pick any putter and change how you putt to figure out how to use it or pick a putter that works for stroke and putt the way you always have but it works better for you.   

3. The putters you listed are fine as are 100s of others in the market place.  

4. What are you trying to accomplish and what do you think switching will do?  How are you going to evaluate?  Do you practice or just expect that a new putter will make you better? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@fews412 feel free to come scrounge through my myriad of putters that I've obtained over the years.  While I've reduced the amount of putters I have on hand when we moved, I still kept the "better" putters.

A bullseye putter from 50 years ago can be just as deadly as Scotty's newest and best....in the right hands.  Finding a putter that suits your eye, your stroke, and your posture is far more important than what's the most popular choice.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Thanks all for the responses thus far. As far as comfortable i meant should i give it more time with the putter before I make a jum to another. Its not a bad putter. I dont hear much about it online. And was figuring since its older, newer putter tech would be better but maybe im wrong. Just trying to figure it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same thing. I changed my putter just to change, as I was updating my bag. I have a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c, as in center shafted. I like the omnidirectional knurled face. No insert on this face. Center shafting helps keep speed under control, being that I get instant feedback on my stroke. Squaring the face is not too big a problem. I have a 25g counter balanced shaft weight in a SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 grip. And, it's easy on the eyes. Will be in my bag for some time to come...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c