Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sub 70 799's, for my high HC wife?

Tess

Hello MGS Members,

Looking for any comments, advice and hopefully a review or two regarding these super game improvement irons from Sub 70. They have no reviews on their website so I'm reaching out to see what I can find.

My wife golfs infrequently and needs help getting the ball airborne with her irons. I've been looking at Cleveland Launcher Halo's, Cobra T-rails etc. but recently stumbled onto Sub 70 through MGS hi-lights and am intrigued with these 799 irons. Sub 70 has a Canadian office in BC so it would be nice to avoid the duty charges as well.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the 799's would hold up in comparison to the runner up in the Super Game Improvement category this year, Cleveland Launcher Halos. They are pricier than the 799's but I'm more interested in forgiveness at this point.

I look forward to all replies and I thank you in advance. If any MGS staff have inside info on these, it would be helpful. Maybe this is a good topic for future Most Wanted, "Womens SGI equipment?

Tess

1 hour ago, Tess said:

Hello MGS Members,

Looking for any comments, advice and hopefully a review or two regarding these super game improvement irons from Sub 70. They have no reviews on their website so I'm reaching out to see what I can find.

My wife golfs infrequently and needs help getting the ball airborne with her irons. I've been looking at Cleveland Launcher Halo's, Cobra T-rails etc. but recently stumbled onto Sub 70 through MGS hi-lights and am intrigued with these 799 irons. Sub 70 has a Canadian office in BC so it would be nice to avoid the duty charges as well.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the 799's would hold up in comparison to the runner up in the Super Game Improvement category this year, Cleveland Launcher Halos. They are pricier than the 799's but I'm more interested in forgiveness at this point.

I look forward to all replies and I thank you in advance. If any MGS staff have inside info on these, it would be helpful. Maybe this is a good topic for future Most Wanted, "Womens SGI equipment?

Tess

Sub70 makes great products and I would say they are basically at the same level as any major OEM.   The biggest drawback would be resale value if you decided to sell them.  I’d reach out to Sub70 directly, they should be able to answer any of your questions and based on forum feedback they have great customer service.  SGI clubs are all designe for forgiveness.   

you probably won’t get a response from the MGS HQ staff as they aren’t very active on the forum.   As for Women’s most wanted, it would probably be difficult to get enough women to participate in the testing.  They probably aren’t against it, but would need more than 2-3 testers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, Tess said:

Hello MGS Members,

Tess

I believe Sub-70 offers a demo program on most of their clubs - you could have them ship out a 7-iron (for instance) and then bring that into another store that has irons to hit and directly compare it against the Halos/T-Rails, etc.  I've not hit Sub-70s (in any iteration), but based upon the feedback here in the forum and the few folks I've met playing them (I can't help myself but to ask how they like them), it's straight-up raves, so might be worth the cost of the demo.  

Just a thought! Hope you both get out there and play together - my wife and I hit up a pitch-and-putt right after we found out we were going to have our first kid, and she's not been out since, lol.  She said she liked it, but we've just not found the time to get back out yet. I'm LONGING for the day she says she's ready to try again. 

Good luck, and let us know how your search goes!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I would order the demo and bring it to store like the previous poster said. I did that with my current irons. They weren’t thrilled at the store but they let me do. I would also talk to their customer service and let them know it’s for your wife so they can get you a good set up for her.  

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

I wouldn't shy away from the Sub70's.  My wife will be going there sometime this fall to get fit into some clubs. She currently games the Adams whatever golf Galaxy had on sale 10 years ago. She has a Sub70 7 & 5 woods and love them. She was fit at their facility in ILL. 

Good luck in your search. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

• 2 weeks later...

The TXG review that Sub70 has posted on their website is a very nice comparison with the Halos: 

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Quickly reading your thread title, I thought you were suggesting a trade.  Throw in a driver with the Sub 70 799's and I'll think about it!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4