Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ventus shaft with or without Velcore ?

I'll just say that a Ventus without Velocore isn't a Ventus.

It's kind of like a Lamborghini with a lawn mower engine in that it looks the same on the outside but is missing what makes it special on the inside. 

I'm not saying a Ventus without Velocore won't work for some people but there's a reason these shafts are as popular now as they were 3 years ago when they came out. 

My bag is a revolving door!

11 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

It's kind of like a Lamborghini with a lawn mower engine in that it looks the same on the outside but is missing what makes it special on the inside. 

I'm not saying a Ventus without Velocore won't work for some people but there's a reason these shafts are as popular now as they were 3 years ago when they came out. 

Appreciate the response!

Its kind of what I expected to hear and wanted to hear.

I dont have the luxury of easily getting fitted and getting to try this shaft or that out. Thus my question....I am looking for answers such as yours without the "only you will know, go get fitted response". I am big into Archery/compound bows and its the same thing. Answers saying "go shoot all the bows and only you can decide". I get that, and if we all had the oppurtunity then yes. But sometimes just having some good candid replys is helpful. 

Thanks!

Just now, MarkH said:

Appreciate the response!

I dont have the luxury of easily getting fitted and getting to try this shaft or that out. Thus my question....I am looking for answers such as yours without the "only you will know, go get fitted response". I am big into Archery/compound bows and its the same thing. Answers saying "go shoot all the bows and only you can decide". I get that, and if we all had the oppurtunity then yes. But sometimes just having some good candid replys is helpful. 

Thanks!

I have a 2022 Callaway Rouge ST Max. I went with the Ventus shaft rather than the Tensei Blue 5 shaft.

Like the driver, but as with Archery I am always lookng for better than "factory".

15 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

... While I understand your response, they are both still Ventus shafts. Obviously the guys on tour place a much stronger load on a shaft than most Am's. And as you stated some will hit the non velocore better than the "real deal". In fact at my last Stealth fitting at 97mph with a smooth swing, I had better success with the non velocore Ventus. Granted there are plenty of shafts that fit me better than either but with a smooth transition and sub 100mph swing the velocore was just too tip stiff for my swing. Obviously someone with an aggressive transition and above 100 might find the exact opposite to be true. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... While I understand your response, they are both still Ventus shafts. Obviously the guys on tour place a much stronger load on a shaft than most Am's. And as you stated some will hit the non velocore better than the "real deal". In fact at my last Stealth fitting at 97mph with a smooth swing, I had better success with the non velocore Ventus. Granted there are plenty of shafts that fit me better than either but with a smooth transition and sub 100mph swing the velocore was just too tip stiff for my swing. Obviously someone with an aggressive transition and above 100 might find the exact opposite to be true. 

Appreciate that info.....with that being said...truthfully I am not above 100mph. Like it or not at 60 years old I dont swing as fast as I once did.

Will take that into acocunt as well......

This will help answer your question. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

13 minutes ago, MarkH said:

Appreciate that info.....with that being said...truthfully I am not above 100mph. Like it or not at 60 years old I dont swing as fast as I once did.

Will take that into acocunt as well......

... Aside from Bens excellent video above, keep in mind it isn't as much of how fast you swing but how you swing fast. The more aggressive your transition the more "robust" you need you shaft to perform. I can get any shaft to work for me with a smooth swing, I just lose distance with more tip stiff shafts and sooner or later I start to swing harder to get the feel I want of the shaft unloading. 

1 hour ago, MarkH said:

Appreciate the response!

Thanks!

There are lots of dynamics to a golf swing that determine what shaft plus head work. At the end of the day all shafts are good but that doesn’t mean they are good for everyone. Some shafts are going to work better for some golfers and not for others. There are members here who did a demo day and hit not the ventus with velocore and without and they without version worked better for them. There are golfers with high swing speeds and good games on another forum and as much as they wanted the ventus wasn’t a good fit and they moved on.

Whether one doesn’t like to hear it, doesn’t want to hear it or whatever there are only two ways to find a shaft and head combo that works for the golfer. That’s to buy a shaft and hit it and see if it works. The other is get fit to find the best combo 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

This will help answer your question. 

Immediately thought of this video.  Glad you shared it already!  I strongly dislike that Fuji green-lit a shaft to be produced with the Ventus name without the VeloCore tech… because I think it cheapens the name.  But that’s not really what the OP was talking about.

This video shows it best…. And I believe that more of the general off-the-rack golfing population will fit into the non-VeloCore profile, but it still stinks they went that route.  

Also… I miss Matty and Ian’s work together.  That’s all.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Immediately thought of this video.  Glad you shared it already!  I strongly dislike that Fuji green-lit a shaft to be produced with the Ventus name without the VeloCore tech… because I think it cheapens the name.  But that’s not really what the OP was talking about.

This video shows it best…. And I believe that more of the general off-the-rack golfing population will fit into the non-VeloCore profile, but it still stinks they went that route.  

Those two were like peas & carrots...or lamb and tunafish! (I hope someone gets this reference...)

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Also… I miss Matty and Ian’s work together.

... I think most all of us do too. 😕

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I haven’t seen it confirmed but rumor is TaylorMade paid for the name when they got the first ventus made for shafts.

But it’s also not the first made for shaft that looked like the “real deal” one and it probably won’t be the last.

Unfortunately people get too hung up on the terms made for and real deal, aftermarket or premium. 

It’s amazing what shaft manufacturers can do with shaft designs from lightweight and play as stiff and stable as a heavier weight to the extremely stiff shafts used by the long driver guys and everything in between. Changing the orientation of a flag on a shaft will change the torque and feel without making any changes to the material. like ventus they could keep a “premium” piece of material in place of the 70t which is all velocore is with something like 40t and still have a great shaft. It will just change weight and some of the other characteristics of the shaft

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try the Ventus Blue with VelCore. Was on the Callaway used site this morning and they had a Ventus Blue 5 for $319 and through the end of today 25% off. So I thought no better time than now and save some $$$. Will be intersting to compare to my OEM Ventus Blue on my Rogue ST Max.

Edited by MarkH
spelling