TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fiiting: indoor vs outdoor

So after a month eating like a pig and drinking like an alcoholic, it's time to prepare for the new golf season.

I'm getting a new set of Mizuno irons and have to schedule a fitting with 2 options:

1. I could do the fitting indoors right away with Flightscope and wouldn't have to wait for the weather to warm up to order my new clubs (2 weeks waiting time)

or

2. I could wait for spring to come (right now it's 0F outside) and do the fitting outdoors with Flightscope as well. The downside is I would waste 2 weeks of precious golfing time while I wait for my clubs to assemble and ship.

You have one extra piece of info outdoors by looking at the ball flight, but is it strictly necessary for a good fitting?

What is your take on the subject? Indoor/outdoor just as good? Indoor good enough? Always outdoors?

Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

You have one extra piece of info outdoors by looking at the ball flight, but is it strictly necessary for a good fitting?

What is your take on the subject? Indoor/outdoor just as good? Indoor good enough? Always outdoors?

Thanks!

I will ALWAYS get fit outside. You can show me the launch numbers all you want, but if I can't see that trajectory with my own eyes, then it's a deal breaker. I've hit tons of clubs that give great numbers inside, but don't perform how I want them to outside. I think a lot of it has to do with where/what you are hitting from. Getting fit inside, you are going to be hitting off of a mat, which they have got closer to being like grass, but there is still a huge difference. If it was me, I'd wait for the better weather or at least get fit inside, then take a club and hit it a few times outside, before making a final decision.

• SPY VIP

I know far too many very good fitters who don't do any fittings outdoors to believe a proper fitting can't be done indoors. That said, I do think it depends on the launch monitor being used.

aboutGolf and HD golf both do an excellent job rendering ball flight. What you see on the screen is what you get outdoors. Based on what I saw at the show, I'd trust ForeSight both indoors and out.

The radar based systems (Trackman and Flightscope) , in my opinion, don't perform near as well indoors, they have to calculate far too many details, and we're seeing more indoor fitters move away from them.

Indoors you can control all the variables...outdoors, weather will always be a concern (for radar based systems anyway).

JBones point about the mat itself is legitimate. I've hit off HDGolf's product, aboutGolf's, and most recently ForeSight. Of the 3, only aboutGolf's product comes close to replicating the feel of turf interaction. The others just feel like fancy mats.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

We do both indoor and outdoor fittings…but if I had my way, we'd only do outdoor fittings. Not because you can see the ball flight, but because most customers fall into one of two categories.

Type l

Is the person who tends to hit harder than usual because since they cannot see the ball flight, they equate the loudness of the ball against the screen with distance. So these players tend to “Muscle Up” which in reality SLOWS their swing down.

Type ll

These are people who in the booth feel (intentionally or unintentionally) that they are “boxed in” and don't loosen up properly. They don't follow thru properly.

• SPY VIP

We do both indoor and outdoor fittings…but if I had my way, we'd only do outdoor fittings. Not because you can see the ball flight, but because most customers fall into one of two categories.

Type l

Is the person who tends to hit harder than usual because since they cannot see the ball flight, they equate the loudness of the ball against the screen with distance. So these players tend to “Muscle Up” which in reality SLOWS their swing down.

Type ll

These are people who in the booth feel (intentionally or unintentionally) that they are “boxed in” and don't loosen up properly. They don't follow thru properly.

Excellent points. We don't see Type I as much, but we've definitely had guys who whether coming in to play on the simulators or for testing, comment how they feel like they're going to hit the walls, and so yeah...we see some short-arming.

The guys who actually do hit the walls are generally the ones with very wide, ugly swings.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I've done both indoor and outdoor fittings.

I prefer outdoor myself simply for the fact that hitting off of mats indoors really messes with me.

My miss is always a push and/or slice, suddenly I move to an indoor fitting and every miss for me was left - this did affect the fitting, and my confidence in the fit clubs.

Nothing wrong with an indoor fitting, especially if you're comfortable with that situation, but I really just prefer hitting balls outdoors.

That all said, using an AboutGolf simulator recently indoors, I felt that everything but my wedge shots were extremely accurate to my typical game.

Excellent points. We don't see Type I as much, but we've definitely had guys who whether coming in to play on the simulators or for testing, comment how they feel like they're going to hit the walls, and so yeah...we see some short-arming.

The guys who actually do hit the walls are generally the ones with very wide, ugly swings.

Actually, the Type l person I attribute partially due to the screens.

About 2-3 seasons ago I replaced all our screens with a new style that had rubber filiment weaved into the screens to minimize sound...I think many people remember the older screens and now trying to duplicate the ols sound? Maybe?

• SPY VIP

My miss is always a push and/or slice, suddenly I move to an indoor fitting and every miss for me was left - this did affect the fitting, and my confidence in the fit clubs.

I'd love to track down the reason for this. I can't say it's with everyone, but we definitely find that people pull the ball more than they might normally do outdoors. It's not a case of the cameras misreading anything, there's something psychological that happens. Most guys, given enough swings, adjust, but certainly not everyone.

I'd love to track down the reason for this. I can't say it's with everyone, but we definitely find that people pull the ball more than they might normally do outdoors. It's not a case of the cameras misreading anything, there's something psychological that happens. Most guys, given enough swings, adjust, but certainly not everyone.

I have a guess as to why. When you can't see the ball flight you go more on feel, so when indoors you swing harder, perhaps cast earlier, and pull. When outside you see the ball flight and rely on that more than feel. You then leave the face open a bit more and slice the ball. Hitting indoors is a numbers game and hitting outdoors is a target game.

For years the walls at indoor fitting places drove me nuts. I swung too hard and held off big slices. I think it has to do with parallax visual problems of the walls cramping me.

I spy with my little eye something...

I like getting the numbers indoors so the "science of the swing" as it were is worked out. Then I want the clubs outside so I know they're still working for me. I'm guilty of having a weird since so special attention to how the sole is outdoors is quite important and I entirely fall into Type 2 of Indacup's post. Even with my normal swing there's no way I'd hit the wall but that doesn't mean I don't feel like I'm about to crack it at anytime which makes me really hesistant with a rather expensive club in my hands to do things properly.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I have a guess as to why. When you can't see the ball flight you go more on feel, so when indoors you swing harder, perhaps cast earlier, and pull. When outside you see the ball flight and rely on that more than feel. You then leave the face open a bit more and slice the ball.

I like getting the numbers indoors so the "science of the swing" as it were is worked out.

Interesting, the fitting I did indoors didn't have a "screen" you were hitting into, just a net, so i couldn't "see" my ball flight.

But... on AboutGolf - I was able to see a visual of my ball flight, even if only projected, and I had my normal misses there.

And I agree with Super Tuna, the indoor numbers I was getting from AboutGolf were AWESOME!!! Immediate feedback, a beautiful thing.

If the difference is only a couple weeks, I'd wait and do it outside. While I have a lot of faith in launch monitors (good ones, anyway), there's a lot to be said for having your eye validate what the launch monitor says. There's also the benefit, as others have mentioned, of hitting off real turf instead of mats. I've heard a number of people suggest that hitting off mats reduces the spin substantially, though I can't verify that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I guess it's unanimous! Outside it is! :lol:

Just looked outside the window... car is covered in snow again... sigh...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I may be getting into this thread late, but my vote is also for outside. When outside, you can pick a target and get into your setup position based on that target. The resulting swing will be the same swing you would normally make when playing. Inside, hitting into a net, there is no target in the distance to aim at. You have to get set and swing without any target focus. I just don't make the same swing when I don't have a target. Outside, you can see the flight of the ball and make adjustments to hit your best shot. Inside you don't have that feedback. It's a little better if you have a simulator with a screen projecting a golf hole that traces the ball flight. But you still have other factors like the mat and height of the rubber tee that may not match how you normally tee the ball. I've been to a couple of inside fittings and I won't waste my time going to another one. I've never had an outside fitting, but I would have a lot more confidence in getting a good fitting if it was outside.

If the fitter is any good and is using the flight scope you will get the data you want. Not to turn this into amy LM is better than your issue but all the LMs are calculating indoors.

If you are comfortable hitting indoors then do the fitting indoors. the big things that might change are easily fixed i.e. loft/ lie. Your swing speed is not goin to double or even reduce to a factor that will dramatically impact the flex choice. Particularly if factory built chance are they wont match anyway. Contrary to popular belief you can pick a spot on the net.

Hitting off a mat is an issue. If the mat is just a mat then false positives (a draw) will be found. Using hitting area that allow for a deep divot such as fiberbuilt is a better alernative.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Fit for lie angle? Sure, indoors is fine. Fit for ball flight (far more important), outdoors is the way to go. Where do the world's best get fit and with what equipment? Outdoors on a FlightScope or Trackman.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 weeks later...

Fit for lie angle? Sure, indoors is fine. Fit for ball flight (far more important), outdoors is the way to go. Where do the world's best get fit and with what equipment? Outdoors on a FlightScope or Trackman.

Bingo. The indoor monitors are nice for the colder-climate places because it allows them to do stuff year-round. But that's pretty much its only advantage.

Archived