TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which country will Rory play for?

JBones

On the Morning Drive this morning, Erik Kuselias and Frank Nobilo were having a heated debate about Rorys Olympic situation. Being from Northern Ireland, he has the choice to either play for Ireland of Great Britain. I'm not too knowledgeable with my European history and I didn't realize that Northern Ireland has been fighting for a hundred or so years, to become part of Great Britain. This is a pretty tough situation for Rory to be in; whatever side he chooses, the other is going to be offended. I wouldn't be surprised to see this affect his game in a negative way. This is a tough decision for a young man; hopefully he can come to one soon and be at peace with it.

Discuss.

When I read this I was shocked about what you said about the Irish fighting to become part of Great Britain. I had alway thought of it as them fighting NOT to become part of Great Britain. I guess it is just perspective. Since there are Irish on one side, and Irish and English on the other, you can say it either way, but my first reaction was how can the Golf Channel get it that wrong.

That is why there is an Irish saying, "The winners write the history books and the losers write the songs." Actually, that might be an Irish song.

The difference in a Patriot and a Rebel is which team wins.

I am of German heritage and we are all glad my ancestors did not win. Well, half the family was already over here fighting for the US side.

On a funny note my grandfather hated Europe, it was dirty, cold, everything was falling down, and people were shooting at him. He hated it. Of course, touring Europe in 1944 on the governments dime was not a vaccation, but it was funny the way he would talk about it.

As far as Rory, he will play for NIR. They have McDowell, Rory, and Harrington playing for NIR. Westwood, Donald, Rock for GB. The situation in Ireland is not near as bad as it was in the 80's. They play on the European Tour with the NIR flag, so what is the debate. If NIR has an Olympic team that is where they will go.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

As far as Rory, he will play for NIR. They have McDowell, Rory, and Harrington playing for NIR. Westwood, Donald, Rock for GB. The situation in Ireland is not near as bad as it was in the 80's. They play on the European Tour with the NIR flag, so what is the debate. If NIR has an Olympic team that is where they will go.

From what I understand, NIR doesn't have their own team and that is where the problem lies. And to add more fuel to the fire, Paddy has been quoted as saying "he should play for GB, to give an Irishman a chance". The conflict is within NIR itself, the northern part wants to be GB and the southern part wants to be in the Irish Republic. It's definitely a tough situation for Rory to be in.

From what I understand, NIR doesn't have their own team and that is where the problem lies. And to add more fuel to the fire, Paddy has been quoted as saying "he should play for GB, to give an Irishman a chance". The conflict is within NIR itself, the northern part wants to be GB and the southern part wants to be in the Irish Republic. It's definitely a tough situation for Rory to be in.

My mistake, Padraig Harrington is from Ireland. Graeme McDowell and Rory Mcilroy are from Northern Ireland. This debate is like some one from New Mexico wanting to play golf on the Mexican Olympic team instead of the US. Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain and has been for a hundred years. Northern Ireland does not have their own Olympic committee and therefore do not have their own team. Instead of competing in the 300+ events with a population base of 1.6 million as the Northern Irish Republic. They participate as Great Britain, along with Wales, Scotland, etc... and have a 60 million population base. The countries full name is after all The Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In order to participate in the Olympics for a country you have to be a citizen. Rory Mcilroy can not compete for Ireland any more than he can compete for Chile. He is currently a citizen so he plays for Great Britain. On the European Tour, he is listed as NIR because Great Britain does not compete there as an entity. Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are listed seperately.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

OK guys this is the deal.

N Ireland is part of the UK has been since 1921 when there was a split and will continue to be until the majority of the population says different. McIlroy, Clarke and McDowell were born in NI and choose a British passport, hence the NI flag but because of dual nationality status they can also have an Irish passport and therefore a choice of Country for the Olympics.

P Harrington is from Dublin and can only have an Irish passport.

Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales although atm the Scots want out of the Union and independance.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Archived