TESTERS WANTED! ×

9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence - virtually certain that an outside influence lifted or moved a player’s ball

benb1989

Would just like some clarification on this as it is annoying me.

Playing in a club comp I took a T shot which went a long way left. The T box is raised and as a result you can see the fairway for 2 holes which run along side each other. My T shot went over the trees left and I saw it land on the next fairway, roll along it and come to a stop. When you walk down off the T you can no longer see the adjacent fairway. My playing partners Teed off, then played their second shots, we walked through the trees to the next fairway and my ball was not there, I looked back and a group had just left the green. In my opinion only one thing could have happened, someone in that group picked up my ball. My playing partners, who were friends and the first time I had played with either, both agreed with each other that we can not be certain my ball had been picked up as we didn't see anything and I would need to declare the ball lost. 

In my interpretation of the rule, I was certain they picked my ball up as it was stationary in the middle of a fairway then 5 minutes later it was gone, there could be no other explanation. 

Who's interpretation is correct?

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

3 hours ago, benb1989 said:

Would just like some clarification on this as it is annoying me.

Playing in a club comp I took a T shot which went a long way left. The T box is raised and as a result you can see the fairway for 2 holes which run along side each other. My T shot went over the trees left and I saw it land on the next fairway, roll along it and come to a stop. When you walk down off the T you can no longer see the adjacent fairway. My playing partners Teed off, then played their second shots, we walked through the trees to the next fairway and my ball was not there, I looked back and a group had just left the green. In my opinion only one thing could have happened, someone in that group picked up my ball. My playing partners, who were friends and the first time I had played with either, both agreed with each other that we can not be certain my ball had been picked up as we didn't see anything and I would need to declare the ball lost. 

In my interpretation of the rule, I was certain they picked my ball up as it was stationary in the middle of a fairway then 5 minutes later it was gone, there could be no other explanation. 

Who's interpretation is correct?

In my opinion, if you could clearly see the ball come to rest, and can identify its location with reasonable accuracy, and it could not have subsequently been moved by natural forces, you can be virtually certain that it was moved by an outside influence.  You should read the definition of Known or Virtually Certain, along with the Interpretations on the Definition.  You should probably also review the Definition of Outside Influence.  You quoted the correct Rule, I presume from some electronic source.  Both the website and the app have hyperlinks from the Rule directly to those applicable Definitions.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia