Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist TSR

20 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

REALLY looking forward to my turn in the fitting bay for these.  Love my TSi3... if what you say is true... TSr may be the only thing capable of knocking it out of my bag.

Don’t shy away from the TSR2. It’s headshape is much improved from the TSi2 in my opinion. It was a beast. 

34 minutes ago, bens197 said:

A few years ago when Titleist the TS woods were released, the buzz was all players were finding 5-10 more MPH in ball speed.  Whether that was from the 917 line or another driver we don't know...it's not very scientific and certainly gets the golfers excited and feeding on hype.

I trust new technology but following my most recent fitting, I can't imagine I am leaving 6mph ball speed on the table.

I am just interested in hitting it to see if that ball speed increase is there.    A local head pro posted on his social that he got fit from his TSi version to the TSR and gained 3-5 MPH.   These were the numbers he posted:

TSi3 Top Ball Speed: 162 mph
TSi3 Avg. Carry Distance: 266 yds
TSi3 Avg. Total Distance: 293 yds

NEW TSR3 Top Ball Speed: 168 mph
NEW TSR3 Avg. Carry Distance: 275 yards
NEW TSR3 Avg. Total Distance: 303 yards

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am just interested in hitting it to see if that ball speed increase is there.    A local head pro posted on his social that he got fit from his TSi version to the TSR and gained 3-5 MPH.   These were the numbers he posted:

TSi3 Top Ball Speed: 162 mph
TSi3 Avg. Carry Distance: 266 yds
TSi3 Avg. Total Distance: 293 yds

NEW TSR3 Top Ball Speed: 168 mph
NEW TSR3 Avg. Carry Distance: 275 yards
NEW TSR3 Avg. Total Distance: 303 yards

It's certainly possible...Let us know how it goes for you...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

21 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I probably won't hit them until most wanted testing at the end of the year unless I can find a fitting event somewhere or they have some at HQ when I go visit. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

A few years ago when Titleist the TS woods were released, the buzz was all players were finding 5-10 more MPH in ball speed.  Whether that was from the 917 line or another driver we don't know...it's not very scientific and certainly gets the golfers excited and feeding on hype.

I trust new technology but following my most recent fitting, I can't imagine I am leaving 6mph ball speed on the table.

The difference between my 5 year old G400 LST with a HZRDUS Yellow and my current gamer was negligible. I found 2MPH more in ball speed and conceded with this...

I hit bad shots better and got away with a lot more...I wasn't hitting it much further than the PING on perfect center strikes.

The forgivable area for hitting bad shots and still finding the fairway was significantly better with the TSI3.  So I suppose I could find more ball speed on my misses but I have a hard time thinking I would see an extra 8-15 yards by swapping to the TSR line.

I didn’t think so either, but the numbers were there. Hit outside with PROV1 left dash head to head with the TSi3.  The same consistent story from both reps, they are seeing 5-6 mph better ball speeds over the TSi. If you are a titleist gamer, worth the effort.

9 minutes ago, djahubes said:

I didn’t think so either, but the numbers were there. Hit outside with PROV1 left dash head to head with the TSi3.  The same consistent story from both reps, they are seeing 5-6 mph better ball speeds over the TSi. If you are a titleist gamer, worth the effort.

I suppose now I'll spend this evening on YouTube watching demos...C'mon TXG, do your thing...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

There ain't no way one of these will perform better for me than my Callaway Epic Max LS.... AIN'T. NO. WAY.

...Ok there I said it.  Time to go find a fitting.  🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

51 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I suppose now I'll spend this evening on YouTube watching demos...C'mon TXG, do your thing...

... Of course you will just be looking. Just Looking. 🤣

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course you will just be looking. Just Looking. 🤣

A few weeks ago I would have just looked...

...I am so happy with this TSI3 that I oddly enough, do not have the itch...

...The only club I am thinking of trying is a 18/19 Hybrid...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

... I know more than a few love to say drivers are maxed out and to be fair, they pretty much are so more distance is probably not happening with a robot. But if you have not been fit, doing so and gaining 25 yds or more is possible. If you have been fit in the past and things in your swing have changed there can be more yards there too. Switching shafts can also be a huge factor, not so much from the shafts ability to lower/add spin or more distance but just a better fit that produces more confidence which produces better (faster) swings. 

... There really is a fine line between it ain't the arrow it's the archer and finding something that is a better fit. 

52 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I know more than a few love to say drivers are maxed out and to be fair they pretty much are so more distance is probably not happening with a robot. But if you have not been fit, doing so and gaining 25 yds or more is possible. If you have been fit in the past and things in your swing have changed there can be more yards there too. Switching shafts can also be a huge factor, not so much from the shafts ability to lower/add spin or more distance but just a better fit that produces more confidence which produces better (faster) swings. 

... There really is a fine line between it ain't the arrow it's the archer and finding something that is a better fit. 

Is there anything better in golf (as a fitter) than watching someone hit a bomb and realize they've been deprived of a better game simply because they neglected the need for a proper fitting?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Is there anything better in golf (as a fitter) than watching someone hit a bomb and realize they've been deprived of a better game simply because they neglected the need for a proper fitting?

... Crazy cool right? 2 of my last 3 fittings were very good and the guys enjoyed dialing me in. But the last one scheduled for 1/2hr kept me there a little over 1 hour because I was swinging very well that day and he wanted to experiment. I hit most every shaft he had because he was very interested in how a smooth swinger about right in the middle of most men at around 96mph would perform with shafts a little too stiff and a little too soft as well as softer and stiffer tips. When he found a shaft that worked well for my swing, he set it aside and after we hit everything, we went back and hit all the shafts that fit me initially and narrowed them down to 3. I was shocked one of them was the RCH 65 but my fitter was not. He has put quite a few good players into that shaft. All interesting is some would not entertain a "stock proprietary" Callaway shaft and wanted something more exotic. The Tensei Blue AV was virtually identical to the RCH and the AD-IZ produced several drives that were longest by a few yards. Fitter chalked that up to just putting a better swing on those drives because the feel was so perfect for me and produced such a consistent flight I was able to go after it with more confidence.

... He was all smiles and gave me 4 sleeves of 2 ball packs for staying longer and letting him experiment. LOL, I would have given him a dozen new Maxfli Tours if he told me up front he wanted me to spend twice my allotted time and hit everything he had as an experiment until I was too tired to swing effectively. 

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I know more than a few love to say drivers are maxed out and to be fair they pretty much are so more distance is probably not happening with a robot. But if you have not been fit, doing so and gaining 25 yds or more is possible. If you have been fit in the past and things in your swing have changed there can be more yards there too. Switching shafts can also be a huge factor, not so much from the shafts ability to lower/add spin or more distance but just a better fit that produces more confidence which produces better (faster) swings. 

That's so true.  And for the longest time I've been a 10.5* driver user.  Didn't matter the model.  If you gave me the 9* head, it wasn't getting off the ground.  Now I'm half curious if the 9* would allow me to squeeze a bit more ball speed out of the Epic Max LS.  I have it in it's lowest loft setting in the 10.5* and have no reservations about being able to get the ball up enough anymore.  It's one of the biggest differences I noticed immediately coming from the M5 and Speedzone drivers.  

I have been working on better delivery.  It's the only real way I have a chance to keep up since I have little T-Rex arms.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... Crazy cool right? 2 of my last 3 fittings were very good and the guys enjoyed dialing me in. But the last one scheduled for 1/2hr kept me there a little over 1 hour because I was swinging very well that day and he wanted to experiment. I hit most every shaft he had because he was very interested in how a smooth swinger about right in the middle of most men at around 96mph would perform with shafts a little too stiff and a little too soft as well as softer and stiffer tips. When he found a shaft that worked well for my swing, he set it aside and after we hit everything, we went back and hit all the shafts that fit me initially and narrowed them down to 3. I was shocked one of them was the RCH 65 but my fitter was not. He has put quite a few good players into that shaft. All interesting is some would not entertain a "stock proprietary" Callaway shaft and wanted something more exotic. The Tensei Blue AV was virtually identical to the RCH and the AD-IZ produced several drives that were longest by a few yards. Fitter chalked that up to just putting a better swing on those drives because the feel was so perfect for me and produced such a consistent flight I was able to go after it with more confidence.

... He was all smiles and gave me 4 sleeves of 2 ball packs for staying longer and letting him experiment. LOL, I would have given him a dozen new Maxfli Tours if he told me up front he wanted me to spend twice my allotted time and hit everything he had as an experiment until I was too tired to swing effectively. 

That RCH 96 was one of the best OEM shafts ever made. The BB and GBB were great on their own but that definitely gave it a nice gentle push in the right direction.

Sounds like a mutually beneficial day if you ask me.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I'm excited to try these out in a couple months at my club champion fitting.  The only thing I'm nervous about is that I get so honed in on "Trackman Swings" that it doesn't tell me the whole story about a fitting.   On course I am much more neutral club path delivery, but on trackman, I adjust too much usually to get a few degrees up on path and that takes my spin way down as well.

That is why I actually have my driver set to 11* for the launch, but I also still have issue of heavy spin - usually mid 3000's.  I have a fairly low spinning shaft in the Ventus Blue TR.  I'm there there are some better set ups for me so I just need to be as mindful as possible to make my golf course swings.  

I actually played in an outing recently and they also had a trackman to the hole for long and straightest drive.   This really helped as it was the last hole for me that we came to this and I was hitting driver well all day.  I used the same swings and saw similar flights to what I had done all day.  Verdict was about as expected.  305 total with 3400 spin on the first, 312 total with 3250 spin on the second. Did not win, as the winner was 328, but was much better on a golf hole and trying to hit a fairway.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

20 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I'm excited to try these out in a couple months at my club champion fitting.  The only thing I'm nervous about is that I get so honed in on "Trackman Swings" that it doesn't tell me the whole story about a fitting.   On course I am much more neutral club path delivery, but on trackman, I adjust too much usually to get a few degrees up on path and that takes my spin way down as well.

Not adjusting is a very difficult thing to do especially as you see numbers pop up on a screen or a series of ball flight traces.  Something about just standing there makes you want to hit perfect shots even though you know that isn’t a realistic expectation.   

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

That is why I actually have my driver set to 11* for the launch, but I also still have issue of heavy spin - usually mid 3000's.  I have a fairly low spinning shaft in the Ventus Blue TR.  I'm there there are some better set ups for me so I just need to be as mindful as possible to make my golf course swings.  

Shafts don’t spin. Your high spin is more than likely caused by low contact on the face especially if you have a neutral swing path and face to path.

Improving face contact will go a longer way to improving numbers than some setup unless the setup itself changes how you swing 

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

The only thing I'm nervous about is that I get so honed in on "Trackman Swings" that it doesn't tell me the whole story about a fitting.   On course I am much more neutral club path delivery, but on trackman, I adjust too much usually to get a few degrees up on path and that takes my spin way down as well.

More than likely this is because you are hitting higher on the face, but to far up in a swing can cause the issue above of low face contact and high spin.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, juspoole said:

I actually played in an outing recently and they also had a trackman to the hole for long and straightest drive.   This really helped as it was the last hole for me that we came to this and I was hitting driver well all day.  I used the same swings and saw similar flights to what I had done all day.  Verdict was about as expected.  305 total with 3400 spin on the first, 312 total with 3250 spin on the second. Did not win, as the winner was 328, but was much better on a golf hole and trying to hit a fairway.

... I played with a Satellite Tour guy in Orlando that was playing a practice round and hit 2 drivers off every tee box. Titleist and Callaway and can't remember which ones but Titleist was the most forgiving ing the line up and the Callaway a low spin model. The Titleist produced about 3,000 rpms and was a real fairway finder as he only missed a couple and only by a few yards averaging about 290-300 off the tee. The Callaway produced around 2300 rpms and averaged about 310-330 off the tee but hit 2 shots in the woods and a few more way right but findable. He was content to give up the 20-30 yds off the tee to find the fairway. He had the ultimate confidence in his Titleist and just didn't trust the Callaway. Said he would keep experimenting and if he ever found a driver that was both long and accurate he would switch, but his job depended on hitting fairways and he would keep playing the Titleist as long as it accomplished the goal. Most golfers would pay a years salary for 312 yds with 3250 spin. 😜

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Most golfers would pay a years salary for 312 yds with 3250 spin.

You are absolutely right.  With Taylormade I am usually that way. I can get my spin down and hit some huge numbers on distance, but have no clue where it's going.

Truthfully, I'm still that way depending on the round.  Usually it's the foul balls off the tee that cost me strokes, everything else is usually fairly solid.  I am the same way.  I would quickly average 280 off the tee if I knew if was a shot I could rely on and keep in play.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shafts don’t spin. Your high spin is more than likely caused by low contact on the face especially if you have a neutral swing path and face to path.

Improving face contact will go a longer way to improving numbers than some setup unless the setup itself changes how you swing 

Good point - my miss does tend to be low or a bit off heel which is a big spin machine when that happens.  

Got my order in for a TSR2 and TSR2 16.5 FW #cantwait

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 8/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And got this update a day later.  Already in production.  

C69FE84F-8DB8-437F-B678-5B3CB257D831.jpeg

On 8/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

How was your ball spoed compared to your current setup?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

59 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

How was your ball spoed compared to your current setup?

Honestly can’t say as I’m on the shelf and not able to hit balls yet. So it was pretty much just a “phone fitting” with the rep.  The head is pretty much a given and if I need to switch shafts after getting it. I have several Titleist shafts on hand.