Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour Irons Quick Review/Questions for New Irons

Tommy30

Hi all, had the opportunity to try these out for two rounds. For some context, I currently use cavity backed irons so this was a big change going to these much more menacing looking irons! Results were mixed at first, but I love these clubs. The look at address was beautiful and even with the 6 iron (highest iron in the bag) I felt comfortable. I usually push my irons, but I was getting a tight draw with these. I hit the 6 iron over 200 yards consistently which I can't even get with my cavity backed 4 iron. Misses, especially fat, hurt distance, but it took a very off center strike to get the stinging in the hands. Overall I really enjoyed these clubs and now looking for well needed upgrade to my irons. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of similar irons and how would people recommend purchasing clubs (new, fitting, eBay, etc.) There are pros and cons for each; just haven't purchased a set of clubs before so looking for some advice! Thank you!

Thomas Harr

I would strongly suggest to go to a place in your location which offers fittings. Mizuno has updated the 919's to the latest 921 models, in both Tour and Forged models.

The Forged models are slightly stronger lofted, and slightly more forgiving. With the abundance of shafts that Mizuno offers as no charge for these irons, it would give you the best results that fit you.

Once you have an idea of what set-up suits you, you could then look around various websites or stores to finalize the purchase.

Best of luck in your search for the right irons for you!

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Getting fit is going to take the guess work out of it. You will get into a shaft, head and grip combo that work for your swing.

Not all fittings are equal and even paying more money doesn’t guarantee a good fitting experience.

Unless dead set on a specific brand find a fitter that offers multiple brands, look for one that also has a wide array of shafts. Indoor vs outdoor, mats vs grass are personal preferences, good fittings can be had on either.

Do research on the fitter, their process, and all other feedback. If choosing a place like Club Champion, cool clubs, TruSpec, txg also research their business model.

Also remember that firings are about getting equipment that work with you swing and not cause you to fight it to make things work and it’s still on the golfer to get the ball in the hole. The fitting gives you equipment that will allow you to have the chance to play better you still need to make golf shots and putt 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Tommy30 said:

Hi all, had the opportunity to try these out for two rounds. For some context, I currently use cavity backed irons so this was a big change going to these much more menacing looking irons! Results were mixed at first, but I love these clubs. The look at address was beautiful and even with the 6 iron (highest iron in the bag) I felt comfortable. I usually push my irons, but I was getting a tight draw with these. I hit the 6 iron over 200 yards consistently which I can't even get with my cavity backed 4 iron. Misses, especially fat, hurt distance, but it took a very off center strike to get the stinging in the hands. Overall I really enjoyed these clubs and now looking for well needed upgrade to my irons. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of similar irons and how would people recommend purchasing clubs (new, fitting, eBay, etc.) There are pros and cons for each; just haven't purchased a set of clubs before so looking for some advice! Thank you!

If you struggle with fatter shots, I’d stay away. They have a very thin sole and are great for pickers/sweepers like me. 

If you are steeper, something like the Srixon zx7 would give you similar look and general performance, but with a sole design that fits you better

How do I know? I had the Srixon 765 irons and got fitted into Jpx Tour 919s because of there narrower sole. Can read more about my fitting here 

But as mentioned above, before spending $1k or so on irons that you’ll hopefully have for 5 years+, it’s worth spending the $100 to get the right set through a fitting

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, Tommy30 said:

I got fit for the 921 Hot Metal Pro model.  My typical miss is a thin shot and these are very forgiving on thin shots.  Heavy shots still come off pretty well, too.  The biggest complaint is that sometimes they go too far! 
The shaft fitting tool is amazing.  It recommended two shafts that were in stock at the time.  One gave an immediate 5 yard improvement from my fitting!  The shaft selector tool recommended traditional irons from 6 iron on down and Fli-Hi for the 4 and 5 irons.  As a 4 handicap player I wanted to keep a 5 iron in the bag so I ordered both clubs.  I play the Fli-Hi now because it is much better for my swing profile.  TRUST the fitter!!!

I’m still trying to improve my iron play but these clubs are worth 2 or 3 additional GIR each round.

Ping G430 Max Driver

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue 7 wood

:mizuno-small: Irons Hot Metal Pro 4 - G

:titleist-small: Wedges 52 and 56

:ping-small: Putter Fetch