Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Gripping the club

I noticed something while watching the Open this morning.  Every piece of advice that I see regarding gripping the golf club states to grip the club with your left (lead) hand first, then your right.  However, just about everyone I've seen today grips the club with their right (trail) hand first, then their left.

With the obvious caveat that I'm a beginner and they are professionals, what is the difference between gripping with lead hand first versus trail hand, and what do you all do?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I grip lead hand first and then trail hand. 

Granted I haven’t watched any of the coverage from The Open and when I watch golf I’m not fully paying attention to what they do, but my guess is they are using the trail hand to set the face for their shot then they use their lead had to grip the club and finally place the trial hand in position.

I grip mine with lead hand first because that’s have I’ve learned from watching top level golf instructors and because I take my full grip before addressing the ball

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with @RickyBobby_PR.  I think they are setting the face angle.  I set the face angle with my lead hand to ensure that I have the back of my hand matching the face.  I have always done that since I took Single Plane Swing lessons.  Trail hand comes on to the club after taking my stance and setting my tilt away from target.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I believe some go with the lead hand first.  Going by memory Adam Scott and Fowler on the tee grip with left hand while facing the target to set the grip position and then move to address and place trail hand on the club.   

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I believe some go with the lead hand first.  Going by memory Adam Scott and Fowler on the tee grip with left hand while facing the target to set the grip position and then move to address and place trail hand on the club.   

Both do use lead hand. Both used to also grab the club with it sitting behind their lead leg. It set the grip and wrist angle.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I grip lead hand first and then trail hand. 

Granted I haven’t watched any of the coverage from The Open and when I watch golf I’m not fully paying attention to what they do, but my guess is they are using the trail hand to set the face for their shot then they use their lead had to grip the club and finally place the trial hand in position.

I grip mine with lead hand first because that’s have I’ve learned from watching top level golf instructors and because I take my full grip before addressing the ball

Same for me - lead hand first. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Lead hand first for me. I use it to set my distance from feet to ball and I press my wedding ring into the back of grip as I close my fingers to ensure that my lead hand and wrist are where I want them. Trail hand just slides right in after that. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I actually setup with my trail hand first with club face on target line. If you look at any pro regardless of swing style (single or two plane) on plane impact occurs when the shaft is in line with the trail arm at least up to the elbow. I’m a single plane swinger so that’s where I want to feel like I’m setup on my impact plane shaft in line with trail forearm.

If I were to setup with lead hand first I feel like (1) it’s easy for me to come in too underneath with my trail hand which can lead to a tendency of over rotation of the trail hand and over closing the club face at impact. And (2), with lead hand first I get the feeling it opens my shoulders too much since you’re technically reaching further down the club with your trail hand.

Who knows, maybe that’s why I’m still at at 16hdcp (even though I have improved a few strokes this year). Just have to find what is comfortable at setup for a consistent swing and do it the same way every time. Start overthinking it and trying to tweak with setup as you play leads to catastrophe. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG