Choosing Irons - Brand X vs Brand Y

Tried out new irons today, took 10 shots with each, alternating irons after a few shots.

No brand preference, different heads, different shafts (but same weight, length, and flex), same grips, very similar feel and launch data, very similar, so how would you choose?

Ball Speed Launch Spin Carry Total
Brand X 111.2 20.9 5006.0 159.0 170.0
Std Dev 2.4 0.9 554.0 4.0 4.0
Brand Y 113.2 19.2 5138.0 162.0 173.0
Std Dev 2.9 1.0 179.0 5.0 3.0

What are you looking for? When I buy new irons this Fall, dispersion, feel and forgiveness will be at the top of my list - so your data wouldn’t tell me anything. And if your goal is distance, without knowing what X and Y are, not sure how others here could recommend. SDs are similar other than spin, and that could be due to an outlier vs statistical significance.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

Brand Y. Nearly just as consistent as X with higher spin and longer distance. Seemingly looks like a no brainer.

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 7, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

On 7/15/2022 at 7:16 PM, Middler said:

What are you looking for? When I buy new irons this Fall, dispersion, feel and forgiveness will be at the top of my list - so your data wouldn’t tell me anything. And if your goal is distance, without knowing what X and Y are, not sure how others here could recommend. SDs are similar other than spin, and that could be due to an outlier vs statistical significance.

With numbers are close as they are in provided table, the above bold items are what I would be looking at as well. Might even consider how the clubs look at address assuming that everything else stays close. 

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:titleist-small: TS2 3W w/ Project HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:mizuno-small: T22 54° SW w/ TT DG S400

:callaway-small:  MD3 60° LW 

:ping-small: Anser 2

12 hours ago, MacTourney said:

I would buy the set looking like golf clubs,   if they look like garden tools they wouldn't make the final cut.

Unless I take on Roy McAvoy in the Tin Cup Garden Tools Challenge

On 7/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, Everardo said:

Tried out new irons today, took 10 shots with each, alternating irons after a few shots.

No brand preference, different heads, different shafts (but same weight, length, and flex), same grips, very similar feel and launch data, very similar, so how would you choose?

Offset, toplines, dispersion patterns were also nearly identical with these two. 

So I was a little vague with this not wanting any brand bias and just to see where people would go with this.  I really wasn't in the market to buy new irons since I'm pretty happy with what I have (New Level 623-CB) but was totally curious to try these two models out. Also to note, I used to be a fitter and fit my current irons, but I am refreshing some training for my own experience, it's more that just numbers, or looks but also important to consider it's how the club works with my angle of attach, club path, and delivery of the head and shaft combination. Some can say that it wasn't apples-to-apples because of the shafts, possibly. Though the heavier shaft which produced ever so slightly slower ball speed also had the lower loft and my current irons that have a little more ball speed had the highest loft. So it was a pretty fair fight. 

Head Shaft Loft Ball Speed Launch Spin Peak Descend Carry Total
Cobra King Tour MIM KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff 33 111.2 20.9 5006 32 46.7 159 170
Srixon ZX-7 Modus 114g Stiff 32 113.2 19.2 5138 31 45.6 162 173
New Level 623-CB Aerotech Steelfiber 110g X-Stiff 34 115.8 19.6 5925 33 48.1 168 174
  • Like 1

3 different shaft profiles so it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.

The new level give them best overall results with the least amount of runout from an iron shot 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Its a small sample size but the std deviation on spin from Brand X is kinda high.  If you were to make a decision based on those 10 shots I'd lean toward Brand Y.  

But looking at the NL data.... why change at all!?!?!?!  @Golfspy_CG2  might give us a clue as to why there is an itch to change!! 😁

• Haha 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Well, now that you have outed the details, this is a no brainer 🙂.  Pretty big shift in spin numbers with the SF shafts.  It would interesting to see how the other heads compare with that shaft.

image.png.39255d4805cfead1ea98b32d47f8a5e1.png

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Its a small sample size but the std deviation on spin from Brand X is kinda high.  If you were to make a decision based on those 10 shots I'd lean toward Brand Y.  

But looking at the NL data.... why change at all!?!?!?!  @Golfspy_CG2  might give us a clue as to why there is an itch to change!! 😁

Because if they New Level are more than a month or two old, then it by all means is time to buy both X and Y....Why would you only choose one when tere are two great sets like that to be had 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, now that you have outed the details, this is a no brainer 🙂.  Pretty big shift in spin numbers with the SF shafts.  It would interesting to see how the other heads compare with that shaft.

I assume this is a 6 iron. If that is the case. The New Level far exceeded the other clubs. I prefer a six iron that is able to stop on the green in a couple yards rather than rolling out 10 yards. It all depends on what you want out of your irons. Also what do you want in swingweight, steel or graphite l, hit higher or hit lower. 

it all comes down to what your like best and what feels best for your game! Good luck mate!

• Like 2

Stan

Assuming that the landing angle is very similar, then Brand Y is my choice; more ball speed, spin and carry.

Mavrik 10.5 w TT Evenflow Riptide CB 50

Mavrik 5 metal w TT Evenflow Riptide 60

Rogue 4 hybrid

Titleist T200 5 - G

Vokey SM8 54 and 60

What feels better? Besides dispersion, after another 50 shots you would likely overcome any of the other issues. I just bought a new wedge that felt so much better at the shop and 100 shots later I can hit it much further and with more confidence than my old one due to improved feel. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yeah that's my next approach try the same shaft in all the heads.

1 hour ago, SoonerBoomer1189 said:

I assume this is a 6 iron. If that is the case. The New Level far exceeded the other clubs. I prefer a six iron that is able to stop on the green in a couple yards rather than rolling out 10 yards. It all depends on what you want out of your irons. Also what do you want in swingweight, steel or graphite l, hit higher or hit lower. 

it all comes down to what your like best and what feels best for your game! Good luck mate!

7 irons and swings weights were all close D2-D4

36 minutes ago, MyCatsMom said:

What feels better? Besides dispersion, after another 50 shots you would likely overcome any of the other issues. I just bought a new wedge that felt so much better at the shop and 100 shots later I can hit it much further and with more confidence than my old one due to improved feel. 

All felt great although I'm more used to the New Level's and they are the only ones with the graphite. I've tried that head with steel shafts and they still felt great.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:09 PM, Everardo said:

That std dev on spin is likely bad data.

I doubt the statistical significance between items is meaningfull.  That is a VERY technical math term not an opinion. 

Lack of significance means no REAL difference. The results have enough overlap in range of values the two data sets are SIMILAR. NOT significantly different.

Humans want to see differences that are NOT real.  Avg is MEANINGLESS.

They are SAME club effect result...especially with only 10. Give  me 200 or 300 data points and take another look.

Just because average is different doesn't mean difference is REAL. std dev is a major major influence on differences. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoonerBoomer1189 said:

I assume this is a 6 iron. If that is the case. The New Level far exceeded the other clubs.

Correct, but it's not a Srixon ZX... not that I have any prejudice in this discussion 🤣.  One of these days I'm hoping to get a chance to test some New Level irons.  Up until recently, I hadn't even heard of them but they get great reviews.

1 hour ago, TitleistMike said:

Humans want to see differences that are NOT real.  Avg is MEANINGLESS.

They are SAME club effect result...especially with only 10. Give  me 200 or 300 data points and take another look.

I'm going to make this same statement the next time I'm having a club fitting - just to see the expression and hear the response 😊

• Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)