TESTERS WANTED! ×

Poll: Driving Range Warmup Before Playing a Round?

Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?

• Yes.
    • No, I’m only on the driving range for practice.

I used to hit a small/medium bucket before every round, but I noticed some good players who don’t and I stopped - partly due to nagging injuries. I do chip, putt (my #1 priority) and loosen up with an Orange Whip before I play, but no driving range warmup any more. To be honest, it hasn’t made any difference in my scoring, I keep stats. No right or wrong, just wondering what the split is between the options. I’m only on the driving range now when I am working on something specific, not to warm up anymore.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I use the cart as an aid to do some back and hip stretching before I swing so that the body is loose for my swings.

Pre round range time for me is used to get as swing warmup and to see what my ball flight is for the day. Am I having a tendency to hook, pull, fade, block shots.

Practice green is to get a feel for what the course will be like. Not always 100% match but I have an idea before I get to the first tee then adjust along the way to the green speeds 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I almost always warm up, starting with a wedge, 7 iron, 5 wood and finally driver. Note I hit the most shots with a wedge and the fewest shots with the driver. Also one of our holes to on the way from the range to the pro shop. If no one is on the hole I'll sneak on the green and hit a few putts. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I need at least my first hole tee club on the range and just a small bucket to get warmed up

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Usually don’t get to warm up as I am registering the players for the game.  When I get the time, I start with a wedge, then 7-9 iron, then fairway followed by a few driver shots.  When finished I go to the practice green for a few rolls.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I would prefer to hit a few balls but usually due to time constraints I go right to the first tee or roll a few putts if I do have time.  

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

No range time before a round for me. Stretching in the parking lot, maybe a few rolls on the practice green, and a few practice swings to get a feel on the first tee. There are definitely days that I wish I could send a few down range first. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I almost always get to the course a half-hour before tee time, and warm up on the range.  I'm not really working on anything specific, just trying to get the joints and muscles adjusted to motion.  It helps that I'm at a club with unlimited range balls, I can hit as many or as few as I like.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I wish your poll had more options. I love to hit a few before a round if I have time, but I’m not doing any 40 min warmup like I’m on the Tour. (Which Tour? You pick…)

I like to hit maybe 10 wedges, six or so eight irons and 2-3 Drivers. If I can’t figure it out after that, find the beverage cart. 🛺

I typically spend more time chipping and putting.  I’m going to miss greens for sure. Short game is where the money is made. Ask Cam Smith. 🏆

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I pitch/chip and putt prior to a round and maybe hit 5 balls with a full swing but mostly no full swing warmup

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My normal warmup routine -  I drop my wife off at the pro shop door about 45 minutes before tee time; she gets the cart while I unload the clubs from my car and put on shoes in the parking lot.  She arrives with a small bucket of balls, and we go to the pitching area and putting green.  After some stretches and swinging my Skilz Gold Flex, I hit a few pitch shots, then head to the range with my 7i and driver.

I hit 5 shots with my 7i; maybe a few more if I hit a couple bad ones.  Then I hit 3-4 driver shots, and head to the putting green.  I make 5-6 putts one-handed putts with my trail hand from 5 feet to a bumper flag... not a hole to see if I'm pushing or pulling putts... fix.  Using two balls I then putt to random holes that are 10-25 feet to get speed correct; not important that I make any... just close.  Off to the 1st tee.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If the course I'm playing at has a range, I like to get out with a small bucket to loosen up and see what my ball flight is going to be like for the day. If I happen to be playing a course without a range, I like hitting up the putting green to chip and get an idea of how the greens are rolling. I like to feel impact before hitting one on the course, for me it builds confidence before actually playing. 

I'd rather putt.  Short game will bail me out more than the long game.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

50 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Let me just say I am weak!

I know I have the course to myself every Sunday morning from 8 am to about 10 :30. The range is wide open. But so is the first tee. You have to go right past the first tee to get to the range.  Looking down the fairway you can actually take 10 steps to your left from the first tee box and be on the range. Years of conditioning going to public courses has me in a certain mindset. When you see the tee box empty you go for it.

16 years later, I still can't walk past the first tee if it's empty. 🤣

Absolutely love how you wrote that. It’s like the beginning of an intense golf adventure book or something. 😂 

1 minute ago, ParFore74x said:

Absolutely love how you wrote that. It’s like the beginning of an intense golf adventure book or something. 😂 

Isn't every round of golf an adventure! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Isn't every round of golf an adventure! 🤣

Yes it is!!!!

I almost always spend time on the range prior to my round, not for practice, but to loosen the body.  I don't spend a lot of time hitting balls if I'm going to play (most of my range time is trash talk with other members).  After 10-15 minutes of hitting 7 iron and driver, I move to the chipping range for a bit, then over to the putting range to get a feel for green speeds.  I don't consider my warmup time prior to a round as any sort of practice.  I spend practice time entirely different.

Having said that, I do belong to a golf club and range balls and practice areas are always available as part of my monthly dues.  If I go to another course where I need to purchase a bucket of balls, I may or may not do so.  Generally, I don't.  This is not because I'm too cheap to pay the $2 or so for the token, but rather that I can loosen up without hitting balls just as easily with my orange whip and I'd rather spend any time prior to the round on the putting green and chipping areas, if available.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

For those who like to warm up on the range like I used to, I’ve found the Orange Whip is excellent to loosen me up at the first tee. I do 10-20 one handed tennis swings and then 10-20 full swings (forced to pause at the top) and I’m ready to play. Luckily it also reminds/forces me to slow down my transition at the top - highly beneficial for me, though not an affliction everyone suffers from.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I just putt for a few minutes.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

I know I play better if I warm up a bit on the range first. It’s 6:30 am and I like to shag a few balls back to the tee line w a sand wedge. Then hit them back out w a seven iron and driver. See what shot shape came to the course w me today.  Then chip and putt. My problem is that many days they are mowing the range at 6:30; so all I get to do is chip and putt. Such first world problems…. Either way, stretching is mandatory whether or not the range is open; and doing a two club drill doing some exaggerated feels. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I never used to warm up before a round.  However, I've had recurrent back injuries over the last few years, and if I don't warm up first now, I'm very stiff and tentative for the first few holes.  I always grab a small bucket of balls, and hit gap wedge (usually some pitches moving into full swing), mid iron, long iron, and a couple driver.  My striking doesn't improve any, and I'm not trying to work on anything in my swing, its just a progression that gradually lets me ramp my speed up to a point where my body feel comfortable at full speed going to the first tee.  Sometimes I don't even use the full bucket of balls, I just quit when my body feels loose.  Then I hit the putting green for whatever time I have left before tee off and try to get the speeds and my start line down.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

I only hit around 10-12 shots on the range for my warm-up.  Like Dave mentioned above, unlimited range balls are included in our membership.  I hit some putts on practice green and time permitting will hit a few chips there also.   Question for others, why do some people practice chipping and putting with range balls instead of with their typical gamer balls?  That I don't understand at all.    Anyways, back to the original question, if I'm playing, the range is a quick warm-up session, it's not a time to work on changes, etc.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

For me a warm up on the range is more mental than anything. I'll hit a wedge, 7 iron, 4 or 5 iron, and driver typically. I don't like heading to the first tee "cold." Does it actually make a difference in my round for the day? Who knows. But in my head it helps! haha

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I go to the range only if I haven't played in the last week. Not a big deal if I don't make it there. Takes me a few holes to warm up. I am in reasonably good shape for my age(65). I just try to keep it in the fairway. Short game takes a few holes too. Putting I figure out as I go...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c