Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Poll: Driving Range Warmup Before Playing a Round?

Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?

• Yes.
    • No, I’m only on the driving range for practice.

I try to hit ~20 balls before each round. That plus stretching out the back before heading out to the course has shaved a couple strokes off per round. Especially in the first few holes. 

-Patrick

#GirlDad, Hack 'n Scratch

Maybe I should reconsider the driving range before I play. Was 6 over thru #5 today, 2 under for #6 thru #18 --- stupid game.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I almost always hit half a bucket which is roughly 40 balls, however I first stop and hit balls that are left at the chipping and pitching area to establish a good tempo and distance control for a positive mindset on the course although it sometimes backfires. We have an awesome practice area. Then go to the full swing area and hit a wedge, short iron and long iron. Then a few fairway woods and maybe a handful of driver shots. I have been practicing putting at home before I go if I am coming from the house. I could pitch balls at 30 - 60 yards for hours down there and have. 

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I definitely used to hit at at least a small bucket before every round, but rarely do so anymore.  With my old man hip, knee and back issues, I'm afraid that I'll use up too many of my allotted pain-free swings for that day, so I hoard them like a miser. 😆  I do putt religiously before rounds.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

As I have said I usually hit before a round but sometimes doing this can have adverse affects on my swing thoughts when I play a course that doesn't have a range. Relying on a warm up to play a decent round and not being able to warm up can leave me doubting my readiness for a round, often taking me a few holes to get a good tempo. Possibly it is better to keep practice as practice and warm up just with my orange whip.... Not sure I will try it though...

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

• 8 months later...

Stole this from instagram but I really like the idea behind it.

Get a good variety without too much focus on one thing.

TW_warmup.PNG

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

48 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Stole this from instagram but I really like the idea behind it.

Get a good variety without too much focus on one thing.

TW_warmup.PNG

Wow, that's a full round. By the time I'm finished with that I'm warmed up, fatigued out, cooled down, and ready for the bar!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

3 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

Wow, that's a full round. By the time I'm finished with that I'm warmed up, fatigued out, cooled down, and ready for the bar!

Yeah - it's 71 balls. That's a lot - too much really.

But I think the point for me is that out of those 71 balls, 4 of them were driver and 3 wood. 
41 of them were 8i, 56 and 60 degree wedge. 

I might hit a few more drivers but that concentration on the short game is key to scoring.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

The three courses I frequent the most do not have range facilities. If they did I prefer to hit no more than 30 balls. 15 for wedges the other 15 on clubs I had issues with the last time I played. No more than 5 each and only to see if I was making consistent contact.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I have been trying to get into a better practice routine prior, but I keep booking early morning rounds and the range is closed until after I tee off 😞

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I never use the driving range. If I had a pro watching and helping me for a lesson, I would. But I think most amateurs go out there and use the same imperfect swing they have on the course and gain very little or anything from it (except to loosen up). And if this is their main purpose, that's fine. To loosen up before I play, I just go through a series of stretching exercises to loosen my back (I'm old) and shoulders and I'm ready to go. It's much faster (and cheaper) than using the range. But, whatever works for you is generally what you do.

As many have said already, it's more to get things warmed up and get the body moving. Full rotation in the backswing, make sure my swing thoughts are good for the day. After that I am able to play my best golf.

:callaway-small: Paradym X Driver 12* Project X HZRDUS GEN 4 Silver 50 

:callaway-small: Paradym X 3W HL 16.5* Project X HZRDUS GEN 4 Silver 60 Graphite

:callaway-small: Paradym X 4 Hybrid 21* Project X HZRDUS GEN 4 Silver 65 

:mizuno-small: Mx17 3i - PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S 300

NEXTT CX3 60* Steel Shaft

Basic :wilson-small: Blade style putter 

🪩 Vice Tour

Often I don't have time to hit balls, but I answered yes because I like to hit 15-20 just to loosen up when I do have the time.

Driver- TM Sim 2- Speeder 757 X

3W- Ping G430 LST- Fujikura Ventus TR Black 8 X

Hybrid- TM M1- Tensei Orange X

Irons- Srixon ZX7 MK II (4-PW)- TT DG X100

Wedges- Cleveland RTX-4 (58, 54, 50)- KBS Wedge

Putter- TM Spider GT

• Guests
Guest Archie Shipp

As I’ve aged, now 49, I rarely hit the range at all. I’m a 9 handicap, average about 235 off the tee box and hit over 75% of my fairways. I don’t worry too much about that part of my game as it is what it is at this point in my life.  I do, however, chip and putt when I’m at an Away course, because I want to know how fast the greens are and what the green-side rough is like. When I’m at Home, I just stretch a little as I reach the 1st tee. 

My scores if I hit before I play are so much lower than if I go out after a few putts and practice swings. My best rounds last year I didn’t intend to play at all. I hit the range then the short game areas and was like “dude, you need to go and play” because I was hitting everything so nicely. I have an understanding wife! 

Sometimes I know I’m hitting it garbage and no amount of warm up will fix it. If anything it’ll kill my confidence a little. I just take out what I’ve got and work on it between rounds.  

MW

Driver: Ping G425 Max - Kai'li 60

Fairways: Ping G425 Max - Aldila Rogue White MSI 80

Irons: Taylormade P790 - Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: PM Grind 54, 60 - KBS Tour S

I don't warm-up on the range very often before a round.  I do some stretches, swing two clubs, chip and putt.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

8 to 10 balls just to loosen up then I putt for ten minutes or so, the range is for practice when you are working on something in your game. I watch people on the range and most spend most of the time with a driver in their hand when they only hit it 12 times or so on the course. Players need to be practicing with the 8,9 and wedge a little more!

I am neither of the options. The majority of courses around me do not have a range, so I really can't warm up most of the time. Though, when I do play a course with a range I plan on arriving early enough to hit about 15-20 balls without being rushed. 

I hate the driving range for practice. I'm there until I figure out what I'm working on, or finding the center of the club face, and then I mentally check out and want to leave.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I always chip and putt to get feel down for the day.  Treat balls on range not as a practice but a warm up.  Few wedges get loose and tempo down.  Do few half iron shots to get feel and transition into full irons.  Really just want to get loose and comfortable not beat balls trying to find or fix something.

WITB

-Driver Rouge ST Max

-3W Taylormade M2 HL

-Irons Titleist T100 3-PW

-52, 56 and 60 Vokey SM8

-Putter Odyssee Series I Black number 9

-Ball Titleist Pro V1

For golf league tournaments I'll hit a small bucket but my regular rounds with golf buddies I go out cold.  Always, hit the practice putting green before though.... 

WITB (at the moment...):

Driver:  TaylorMade SIM Max2

Fairway Wood:  Callaway Rogue 3-Wood

Hybrid:  Callaway Rogue 3-Hybrid

Irons:  Callaway Apex21

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey Spin Milled & Cleveland CG14

Putter:  EVNROLL ER8

Golf Ball:  Titleist Tour Soft

It really depends on how I am feeling for the day and how much time before the No1 Tee Box is ready.  I have found it does not make a difference in my game either way.  If I do warm up its a small bucket I might get half way through it.  Only take 3 clubs with me (Wedge, 7I, and 3wood).  Start off with half wedge shots to work on getting muscles loosened up although I stretch before.  Then is full wedge, full iron and full 3wood shots about 5 each.  Follow this by hitting one of each club as if playing a par 4 on the course a few round of that.  After that I have got to get to the putting green.  If no warm up then it putting green and practice air swings before the round.

GrizGolf

Parker, CO

Chipping and lots of putting before a round. Ok sometimes a small bucket. Don’t really use the range much anymore as have home sim setup 

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I don't normally go to the range before a round, but I will do some chipping and putting to get an idea on the speed of the greens. As for warming up, I'll stretch and then I take my PW and my 9i and hold them together while I swing like 5/6 times. The added weight makes my practice swings very deliberate and controlled. Reminds me to not try and crush the ball and keep my tempo.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim Max D

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim Max D

5 Wood: Slazenger Wrath

3 Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Mid

4-GW: Tommy Armour TA1

Wedge: Cleveland RTX 588 54°

Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Anser Stealth

Ball: Maxfli StraightFli

I hit the range with a plan-not to warm up. I carry stretch bands in my bag and ALWAYS do my stretches before a round...I also use an orange whipt to loosen up. And if time, I will chip and putt a bit....I live in MI so getting the muscles awakened before a chilly tee time is critical.

Golf Gear Head