Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Loft and Lie Checks

If you're lucky enough to live near a Golf Town, they have a deal during the month of February. For $30, they check and fix all loft/lie and will determine if you need your lie adjusted (plus tell you if you need new grips, different size grips, and inspect your shafts).

Since I built my clubs last year, I figured I'd get this done. Here're the results (Dynacraft Prophet Forged Irons, 5-PW):

5: 27* loft, 60* lie (measured to spec)

6: 31* loft, 60.5* lie (measured to spec)

7: 35* loft, 61* lie (measured to spec)

8: 39* loft, 60.5* lie (bent to 61.5* lie)

9: 43* loft, 60.5* lie (bent to 62* lie)

PW: 47* loft, 62.5* lie (measured to spec)

So while the lofts were spot on, the lie angles were up to 1.5* off. The normal tolerance for lie angles is 0.5*, but I doubt I caused that bend on my own, especially since I tend to practice with my 5 iron and PW more than the others.

I'm not sure if this is a byproduct of buying less expensive clubs (though $30 to fix this issue is fairly trivial) or if it's not uncommon for all clubs. I hate to ding Hireko again, but if you're hitting one or two particular clubs differently from the rest, it may be worth getting the loft/lies checked.

Glad to "help." Worst experience yet (this will make you feel even better): I took a set of major OEM irons and was asked to bend them all 2* upright. I only had to bend 2 irons because the other 6 were already 2* up. Pathetic quality control.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I can tell you with 100% certainty that loft and lies being off is not a byproduct of buying less expensive clubs. I've seen more "top shelf" irons come in WAY off spec than you would believe.

You are absolutely 110% correct on that statement!! I have seen it quite a lot myself over the years especially recently

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Loft and lie checking that here would have been 24 dollar. at $4 a club.

Matt is dead on, There as not been a set made or spec'd that didnt need adjustment. either to a new lie from custom fit or to place a club back into spec with a set. Its just a thing to do.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that loft and lies being off is not a byproduct of buying less expensive clubs. I've seen more "top shelf" irons come in WAY off spec than you would believe.

Absolutely, 110% agree with!

I cannot tell you how many OEM products we check and are completely off stated spec....whereas many of the smaller companies (components) have had great accuracy.

Many of the OEM companies spend the bulk of their expense on advertising and less on QC.

Archived