TESTERS WANTED! ×

Recorded: Talk with the Testers - MW Hybrid

Tarheelvolvo

Here is the recording from our call w/ HQ Staff and Testers. Great content and fun atmosphere, so I hope more of you can join next time!

--------

Hey Guys, 

This coming Friday, 7/22 @ 12-12:30pm EST we're debuting a new feature - Talk with the Testers! You are all invited to join a zoom link, which will be sent the morning of 7/22, and have a live chat with some HQ staff and testers about the recent 2022 Most Wanted Hybrid test that debuted today on the main site. 

We want to answer as many questions as possible, so please post your questions or thoughts here and the mods will select a few to get the conversation started. 

Hope to see you all this Friday!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Hello Testers!

I appreciate this opportunity to get first hand opinions from you, as I'm looking to upgrade my hybrids asap. These clubs are a new consideration for me.

I'm surprised and intrigued that Sub70 did so well against the big boys in this Most Wanted category and look forward to your answers:

1 -  do the 949X 3 and 4 hybrids an have an average footprint and face size?

2 - how do they perform from the rough?

3 - how many testers have actually put the 949X's in your bag?

Thanks in advance!

Tess

Florida courses, winter time, very tight lies.  I went with 3,4, 5 hybrids a few years ago and find then much easier to play.  Now carry the Big Bertha's, adjustable.

Dave Mueller

Maybe a refresher question, but there are more hybrids available “off the rack” than what we’re tested.  Am I correct in assuming this is a test of this year’s releases only?  (Why Callaway Apex or Titleist hybrids were not included for instance.)

Am I also correct in assuming Stealth DHY was released too late to be included in this?

Thanks for doing this; great idea in my opinion.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

46 minutes ago, JR14 said:

I seem to remember the Srixon hybrids and fairway woods scored very well in 2021, but I didn't see them on the list of reviewed clubs this year.  Were they excluded from the test?

Typically it is only new models which have come out and not been tested which are done for Most Wanted Testing. That or there are times where OEM's won't send the hybrid or club to MGS for testing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I want to know why my beloved TSi3 was not the winner!  As it must be the best ever since it's in my bag! 🤣

Na, feels like there weren't as many this go around, but with a lot of Hybrids on the 2 year cycle it makes sense.  Always interesting to see how the more iron-like vs fairway-like models compare!

Hopefully this goes well and can be a regular occurring program for the forums.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I want to know why my beloved TSi3 was not the winner!  As it must be the best ever since it's in my bag! 🤣

Na, feels like there weren't as many this go around, but with a lot of Hybrids on the 2 year cycle it makes sense.  Always interesting to see how the more iron-like vs fairway-like models compare!

Hopefully this goes well and can be a regular occurring program for the forums.

2 hours ago, JR14 said:

I seem to remember the Srixon hybrids and fairway woods scored very well in 2021, but I didn't see them on the list of reviewed clubs this year.  Were they excluded from the test?

Good questions and maybe given the longer dev cycles for FW & Hybrids they should include more models in future tests. Definitely something to bring up in the chat and hope both of you can join. If not, we will record it and host it on the site to watch/listen to later.

What is most significant technological leap forward that hybrids have seen in the last few years? Is it the moveable weights that Cobra introduced with their latest hybrid? It seems like tech jumps are slower to impact hybrids vs drivers. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Curious how many testers would buy the Sub-70 after testing all available hybrids?  Was it a no-brainer, or is it just a cumulative score that makes it the winner?  It seems like every time anyone on YouTube reviews a new hybrid, it's "the best" (I know, I know, click-bait), but I'd love to hear which hybrid the testers would actually spend their money on and why. 

This is such a cool idea! 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

That was cool; hope it continues.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

24 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

That was cool; hope it continues.

Agree, it is nice to provide access to the guys at headquarters to get some of their perspectives.  Even though I am there all the time as a tester, I always learn something new on how/why they do things the way they do.

and for those who didn’t join (or did join) and still have tester related questions,  I’m happy to give my perspective on the testing, the clubs, and what goes into being a tester. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

37 minutes ago, cnosil said:

and for those who didn’t join (or did join) and still have tester related questions,  I’m happy to give my perspective on the testing, the clubs, and what goes into being a tester. 

Darn also missed it but, yeah question -- I know you guys have a great indoor testing facility, but has there been any talk about / attempt at complimenting that with some outdoor range and/or on-course testing..??
(eg. same set of testers hitting same set of clubs in other conditions)

Also curious, as someone else asked above, what the testers' impressions might be on hitting different hybrids out of lighter or heavier rough....

Thx

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

19 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Darn also missed it but, yeah question -- I know you guys have a great indoor testing facility, but has there been any talk about / attempt at complimenting that with some outdoor range and/or on-course testing..??

Also curious, as someone else asked above, what the testers' impressions might be on hitting different hybrids out of lighter or heavier rough....

Thx

The questions were addressed during the webinar.   I’ll let you watch to get the answer on outdoor testing.  😁

I am personally fine with testing whatever and wherever.   The problem becomes time, control, and objective measurement 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

52 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Thx

Working on posting the recorded zoom call as I type this. It’s a big file, so trying to find some workarounds, haha! 

• Tarheelvolvo changed the title to Recorded: Talk with the Testers - MW Hybrid