TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf ball are you using these days?

Been playing the Bridgestone e12 Contact all season, it's been a real performer for me. Solid off the tee and decent feel & spin around the greens. Not tour level mind you, but it won't roll out when I make a good shot. I'll swap it out with a Q Star Tour on a course with firmer/drier greens just for a little more stopping power.

I do want to try the Maxfli Tour though after all the rave reviews it's received. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 7/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, brogies said:

Interesting. Never heard of the Seed brand before!

One of the discount golf outlet sells them downunder. 

https://seedgolf.com/products/seed-sd-01-the-pro-one

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

My #1 choice = OnCore Vero X1 (soon to be playing their Vero X2 when it becomes available next month).

#2 ball choice + Maxfli TourX (2021-22 model).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Srixon Z Star XV has checked all the boxes for me this season.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Srixon Z Star XV has checked all the boxes for me this season.  

... Great ball for your game and ss. Just curious, have you tried the Maxfli Tour? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Great ball for your game and ss. Just curious, have you tried the Maxfli Tour? 

Not yet…despite all the positives I’ve read on here…

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

12 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Not yet…despite all the positives I’ve read on here…

... Yea Adam just posted a video and Maxfli Tour was the longest ball for the 90-105 ss players. That's probably 75% of MGS members. Of course at $105 for 4 dozen it does everything well so longest is just icing on the cake. Interestingly though, it didn't show up in the top 5 for over 105 ss players. 

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yea Adam just posted a video and Maxfli Tour was the longest ball for the 90-105 ss players. That's probably 75% of MGS members. Of course at $105 for 4 dozen it does everything well so longest is just icing on the cake. Interestingly though, it didn't show up in the top 5 for over 105 ss players. 

Here I go on my soap box again....  boy do I long for that ball test using an 85-95 SS range.  I would venture to guess that of the 75% of MGS members in the 90-105 ss range, 75% or higher of those MGS members are in the 85-95 range.   On the course, my driving distance doesn't compare to the 105'ers being a 89-93'er...  I am suspecting balls reacting are different too, just as you noted about the Maxfli falling down the results for the 105+'ers.   That said... I have nothing but good things to say about the MTCG...  that ball performs at a $50/box equivalent IMO.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
7 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I would venture to guess that of the 75% of MGS members in the 90-105 ss range, 75% or higher of those MGS members are in the 85-95 range. 

... Sounds about right to me too. And that doesn't count those that think they swing 85 but are actually slower. Like my high index snowbird playing pard that swings much "harder" than I do but usually hits his drives in the 190-210 range. And that is with roll on hard fast fairways. He isn't one of those guys that thinks he hits it farther but took a wild guess that he swings around 90 before his first ever fitting and he was around 78-82. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

I just watched the ball video this am and truly enjoy their new format. 

Srixon Z star (not XV) did well and found the top 5 which was fine for me. Good news is, on course it’s been a beauty. 

Presumably you’ve found success with the Maxfli?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

16 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I just watched the ball video this am and truly enjoy their new format. 

Srixon Z star (not XV) did well and found the top 5 which was fine for me. Good news is, on course it’s been a beauty. 

Presumably you’ve found success with the Maxfli?

... Other than really firm balls meant for higher swing speeds like BX and XV and balls that spin more like the B XS, TP5 and current Kirkland I don't find much (any?) difference between say a Z Star, Prov1, Snell Black and Maxfli Tour. Since I like to start every round with a new ball and play up to 20 times a month or more, it adds up quickly and the Maxfli Tour $105 for 4 dozen is perfect for me. 

I love the Maxfli Tour. Played a few rounds with it exclusively and it does everything I need out of it. Really happy with it plus I like the mid flight characteristic. Think I’ve lost distance in the past with the ball just flying way too high and then falling short.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: Ping Anser (2023)

Ball: ProV1x

3 hours ago, chisag said:

Since I like to start every round with a new ball and play up to 20 times a month or more, it adds up quickly and the Maxfli Tour $105 for 4 dozen is perfect for me. 

I play the same Maxfli Tour balls round after round if I still have them. No noticeable loss in performance. 

Edited by brogies

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

I start with a sleeve in the ball holder. I could lose a few of them! Or none. I hold on to the sleeve, so I can put them back in, when done. If I lose some, the loose balls go in my golf bag when done, to be USED the next time I play. As long as there are no pieces missing, or heavy scuffing, I will play that ball next time out. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

50 minutes ago, drb1956 said:

I start with a sleeve in the ball holder. I could lose a few of them! Or none. I hold on to the sleeve, so I can put them back in, when done. If I lose some, the loose balls go in my golf bag when done, to be USED the next time I play. As long as there are no pieces missing, or heavy scuffing, I will play that ball next time out. 

... I did play balls for several rounds back in the Midwest where everything is lush and especially with rounds where I never found a bunker, the ball could look almost new after 18. But the desert really beats balls up because there is sand everywhere and a ball looks pretty used after 18 holes. Could I play them another round? Sure but I like starting every round with a new ball. I figure since I don't drink, that pays for several new balls right there! 🤪

Here is the ball I played today next to a new ball. It was only hit 72 times and it was only in one bunker:

723660657_UsedMaxfli.JPG.d6c2e4dabfbd22483ab864e477504235.JPG

You don't drink? No wonder you can afford to play a new ball every round. No, really, just kidding! I would imagine the desert can be pretty rough on all the equipment, not just the balls. If that is your golf mojo, more power to you! Yeah, one of these days, I might try a "tour" like ball again. But, I am playing well for using a 2 piece ball. And the short game is not suffering for it! You gotta take it as it comes, and go with it...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

1 minute ago, drb1956 said:

You don't drink? No wonder you can afford to play a new ball every round.

... I wish it was a good story or a moral decision but I haven't had a drink since my jr year in college when I had alcohol poisoning twice. Young and really dumb. Decided to take a break after being sick for a few days and just never started again. 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... I wish it was a good story or a moral decision but I haven't had a drink since my jr year in college when I had alcohol poisoning twice. Young and really dumb. Decided to take a break after being sick for a few days and just never started again. 

I’ve been sober for almost three years now! My game has gotten much better in that time. Wonder if there’s a correlation. 🤔🤣

15 hours ago, chisag said:

Good for you, man! Some people can't recognize when they have a problem with alcohol. Your situation could have resulted in your death. Nothing to sneeze at. Been around alcoholics all my life(65), and you just can't talk any sense to a drunk. I wish you all the luck in your future!! I still tilt a few now and then. I don't think I have a problem with it. I can' t handle as much as I used to. So, I don't try to get there, I like to have fun when I drink. Usually save the beer for after the round...

23 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Here I go on my soap box again....  boy do I long for that ball test using an 85-95 SS range.  I would venture to guess that of the 75% of MGS members in the 90-105 ss range, 75% or higher of those MGS members are in the 85-95 range.   On the course, my driving distance doesn't compare to the 105'ers being a 89-93'er...  I am suspecting balls reacting are different too, just as you noted about the Maxfli falling down the results for the 105+'ers.   That said... I have nothing but good things to say about the MTCG...  that ball performs at a $50/box equivalent IMO.  

The data for both those groups will give you an idea of what will happen for the swing speed group you want. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The data for both those groups will give you an idea of what will happen for the swing speed group you want. 

Or I could continue asking/wishing for an MGS test that is more relevant to a significant number of members with swing speeds in the exact "in-between" of the two speed ranges. 😉

To your point RB, I have analyzed the data using as many statistical tools I can think of.  And am using those results for my own education on which balls to go out and play (as that is where the Urethane meets the fairway, if you get my drift).  

And I would be less concerned if the performance was similar between the swing speed ranges... but there is deviation there.  I also understand that the ball data is averaged withing the speed ranges... so now I'm using an average of an average... Is there value in that... sure... some.  

All I'm saying is... the ball test for slow speed uses 85.  The ball test for mid speed uses 100.   I am exactly in the middle... I swing 93 if I had my Wheaties for breakfast.   The results from the low and mid swing speeds for the top 5 balls:

image.png.01ad71444532e663b0d09b13553f88f7.png

and the top 5 for low swing speed:

image.png.09bad2dbb913ffb8dc8c83053f4d1f5e.png

There isn't a common ball between them...

Taking the average total distance from the low and mid driver data I get this list:

image.png.fc8e363bd2554616f45a75ccd3dfaa5a.png

But this is just that... an average of two non intersecting list of top performers using swing speeds that aren't mine.  And don't even get me started on my analysis using combo distances from the 8 iron and the driver (carry/carry, carry/total, total/total)... or the increased deviation between the swing speed RANGES of the driver test categories (At least the ball test has a static SS). 

I have played most of the balls on the list above, and have settled on the Maxfli Tour as my competition ball.  I just think there is a unicorn ball out there for me (maybe I'm already playing it).  

Looking forward to the '22 Ball Test so I can beat my head against the wall on that one too. 🙂

Not arguing with you RB, so don't put me on your "prove a point" list... just offering the context for my soap box.  

All that said, there is no way MGS could accommodate every golfer nuance and I am not being critical of the testing they do, it is phenomenal and very much appreciated by me.  I love every ounce of detail they provide.... but a boy can dream 😉

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
11 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Or I could continue asking/wishing for an MGS test that is more relevant to a significant number of members with swing speeds in the exact "in-between" of the two speed ranges. 😉

I get what you are saying and it would be ideal if they could test every swingspeed because someone will also desire something different.   I believe what MGS has stated in the past is that it is a linear type relationship and if your speed is between the two ranges, performance would fall between the two speeds. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Strictly just use ProV1x. I don't know if it's the best ball for me but I think since it's the ball that I have played since I started I know how the ball will react around the greens and one certain shots. TP5 golf balls I will say last longer for some reason but I think the logo on them is to big. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

On 7/26/2022 at 2:36 PM, drb1956 said:

Good for you, man! Some people can't recognize when they have a problem with alcohol. Your situation could have resulted in your death. Nothing to sneeze at. Been around alcoholics all my life(65), and you just can't talk any sense to a drunk. I wish you all the luck in your future!! I still tilt a few now and then. I don't think I have a problem with it. I can' t handle as much as I used to. So, I don't try to get there, I like to have fun when I drink. Usually save the beer for after the round...

I grew up with an alcoholic family on my dad's side. It eventually got my dad too. He beat it with our help (mom, brother, me). I do drink, but since I lived with it my whole life, I know not to abuse it. Even so, I still put it aside at times because I feel it could get out of hand and bite me too.

53 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I grew up with an alcoholic family on my dad's side. It eventually got my dad too. He beat it with our help (mom, brother, me). I do drink, but since I lived with it my whole life, I know not to abuse it. Even so, I still put it aside at times because I feel it could get out of hand and bite me too.

My parents were drinkers. The bar was a main focal point for my dad. Hung out with him from time to time growing up, and learned a lot about life, and people. I like my beer, but it is not my main focus. My parents never owned anything, house, new cars, new furniture  Everything we had was second hand, or given to us. Not saying my parents did a bad job of raising us, as I have a sense of responsibility that they instilled in me. I have worked hard, have a great family, house, new cars, good friends. I guess I knew how I didn't want it to be for my kids. I did not want the same for them as I had it growing up. Food stamps, behind on rent, low on food, even had electricity shut off one summer for lack of money to pay the bill. Made sure my children did NOT have to experience any of that. Nice to hear that your dad beat it. Good luck to him! Many never do. Beer is for my enjoyment, after the round.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, Bitonomics said:

Kirkland 3 piece - lose too many 😆

But in the market for a replacement when the last two dozen are gone. 

Picked up a dozen ProV1 and no surprise, the increased driver distance was expected, but the increase in the irons was a welcomed surprise. 

-Patrick

#GirlDad, Hack 'n Scratch

On 7/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Srixon Z-Star and Maxfli Tour. None of the X balls work for me in the short game and both these balls give me more distance than ProV1. And cheaper.

I also did Ping Ballnamic 4 times, I let a buddy use the 5th, and each time I changed the parameters and still got the Z-Star Diamond as my #1 ball. So I picked up a dozen to try.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 7/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Did you see this recent ball test - it covers the range you're looking for. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was using Snell MTB blacks, til my son got me a doz Vice Pro Plus. I recently ordered a 5 doz pak of the Pro Plus - can't beat the price at $29./doz 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart