TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf ball are you using these days?

I'm trying two different ones. Avx and tour response. Both have been similar so far in play. Not sure which one will win out in the end.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

After picking up a brick of Maxfli Tours during a sale early in the year, I am still playing those and happy I am. TYhey work really well for me.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Been playing mainly Titleist Velocity and most recently Kirkland Performance+ 2.0. Spin around the greens with wedges I’ve really liked with the Kirklands, but feel like they kill distance off the tee

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

On 8/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, tony@CIC said:

Did you see this recent ball test - it covers the range you're looking for. 

Thanks Tony, yep... I watched it.  Interesting and good information... unfortunately, I am still sitting on the fence between slow and mid ranges (90 and below vs. 90-105)... which give two different selections of top performing balls for distance.  Which is why I have a case of maxfli tours, and a couple boxes of left dashes.  Based on the data in the ball test data last year... the results between the ranges are not statistically linear... so there are some performance differences which each ball depending on the swing speed.  Beleive me, I'm not expecting MGS to cater to my specific swing... and while these testing ranges get me in the ball park... I feel like my seats are currently on the 400 level. I see the players running around on the field... but can't read the names on the back of the jerseys 😉  More personal testing for me :).  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I'm in the srixon z star ◇ camp.  I was able to watch most of the LPGA British open coverage on Sunday. They were doing a over the ball close up shot to show the lie that I thought was cool.  But I also noticed a trend with what ball was showing up...Screenshot_20220808-122942_Firefox.jpg.cde94329a57a345c0750fd4013082c30.jpg

Like 5 of the top 8 at the event were srixon staffers. I was noticing a lot of Z Stars being shown on TV. Strong showing for Srixon,  maybe it does good in the wind?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I picked up 6 dozen Q Star Tours during the B2G1 sale in June, so I will be playing those for the foreseeable future.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

As I get ready for (I hope) the '22 Ball Test... I have been digging into the '21 data to prepare to analyze the data... making some assumptions which are most certainly flawed, but in absence of the facts... assumption is my only alternative. 

Assumptions:

• Low swing speed - 90 and under.  I used 90 mph.
  • Mid swing speed - 90-105. I used 105. 
  • for each ball, the trend line between the two swing speeds is linear
  • all three of these assumptions are flawed to a certain extent... two of three can be updated with the metrics used by the PXG swing machine for each swing speed (Hint: MGS if you are listening).  

I then took the total distance for low, and total distance for mid - on each ball, to get a total yards delta.  The difference between the two swing speeds is 15 mph, so I separated the swing speeds by ten 1.5mph increments.  I then took each ball's delta yards calculated above, and divided it by 10.  Taking the low swing speed total distance for each ball, for every 1.5mph increase in clubhead speed, I added the 1/10 delta yards figure.  Once all the fields were populated, I sorted on each swing speed between 90 and 105, and below I'm showing the top 5 in total distance for each.

image.png.e2ff11a9303370adc909073d21230354.png

You can see that some balls perform better at lower speeds, and some at higher speeds.  What this tells me (at least using last year's ball selection and data) is that my 93 mph swing speed may not be fit best for the Maxfli Tour I'm playing... and I may should try the AVX as an option.  Of course, I'm most likely splitting hairs as the difference between the AVX and Maxfli Tour at 93 MPH is a whopping 4 yards... so it isn't like I'm giving up two clubs or anything - but a half club is a half club.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
9 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

You can see that some balls perform better at lower speeds, and some at higher speeds.  What this tells me (at least using last year's ball selection and data) is that my 93 mph swing speed may not be fit best for the Maxfli Tour I'm playing... and I may should try the AVX as an option.  Of course, I'm most likely splitting hairs as the difference between the AVX and Maxfli Tour at 93 MPH is a whopping 4 yards... so it isn't like I'm giving up two clubs or anything - but a half club is a half club.  

... Looks like you are having fun with numbers. 🤗  But keep in mind these were hit by a robot and not a human, so results can vary quite a bit. Other factors like AOA, spin and trajectory will play a role. I do think these tests are a great place to start, but narrowing down to several balls and doing your own on course testing will yield the best results imo. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Looks like you are having fun with numbers. 🤗  But keep in mind these were hit by a robot and not a human, so results can vary quite a bit. Other factors like AOA, spin and trajectory will play a role. I do think these tests are a great place to start, but narrowing down to several balls and doing your own on course testing will yield the best results imo. 

Completely agree Chisag.  If I could only swing as consistently as the robot... 😉

As Mark Twain said... Facts are stubborn, but statistics are pliable.  🙂

The trick is determining which balls to narrow down to... and to me... the only way to fully utilize the ball test data, is to better understand the effect of more granular swing speed data... even if that data is somewhat pliable.  

While my stats above are based on total driving distance and seem to point me elsewhere on that singular metric... the Maxfli will stay in my bag for a myriad of other reasons... such as iron play, feel, spin, putting etc.  There isn't a ball that out-performs all other balls in every category (at least I don't think there is)... but settling on the one that performs all around...  Maxfli is that for me currently.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
9 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Completely agree Chisag.  If I could only swing as consistently as the robot... 😉

... Well I do swing like a robot. One day it is R2D2 and the next day it's C3PO. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm a tweener as well on the low side of high SS in the 105-110 range. I have a naturally high ball flight so I always tried to steer towards the low/mid launch and spin balls. For a while I was playing the Bridgestone B X which I loved off the tee but not pleased with the rollout I'd get on the greens so then I switched to the CS X LS last year. Gave up a little off the tee but better control but still wanted more out of short game spin. Based on MGS reviews, went to check out the Maxfli. Started with the Tour X as I was a little skeptical of the lower compression of the standard Tour. The Tour X had too high trajectory and spin for me and I actually lost about 10-15 yards off the tee. Short game was nice but still just really firm feeling. Finally gave in and gave the standard Tour CG a shot and played them the last 4 rounds. LOVE this ball. Brought trajectory down more in line what I was looking for off the tee and really nice feel off irons and short game. Dropped some 290-300 yd bombs and was able to drop and stop in the short game. Tour CG is my new gamer moving forward.

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

Like many of you, I was illuminated by the performance of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X.  I tried both and settled on the Maxfli Tour.  I used to game Pro V1s and find them comparable.  Bought the 48 pack of Maxfli Tour's at Dick's for about $100 recently.  Best deal in golf balls for sure.

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0°, Mitsubishi TENSEI 70

:callaway-small:  Mavrick 3 Wood, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 80 Graphite

:titleist-small: TSi3, 19°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV RAW WHITE S

:titleist-small: T100s 4-G, Project X LZ 6.0

:titleist-small: SM6 52°

:callaway-small: Jaws Forged 56°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser

Maxfli Tour

Talk about a hole in one.  - Happy Gilmore (1996)

On 7/23/2022 at 7:43 AM, russtopherb said:

Been playing the Bridgestone e12 Contact all season, it's been a real performer for me. Solid off the tee and decent feel & spin around the greens. Not tour level mind you, but it won't roll out when I make a good shot. I'll swap it out with a Q Star Tour on a course with firmer/drier greens just for a little more stopping power.

I do want to try the Maxfli Tour though after all the rave reviews it's received. 

I was alternating between the e12 and Q Star Tour.  Both feel/play well off the tee, and have the same feel on approach shots.  Saw a comparison review between the 2 (don’t recall where) but for an X distance approach shot (I think a mid iron), the e12 rolled out something like 12’ could compared to 6’ for the Q (my memory could be off but it was a significant diff).  I had noticed days when the greens didn’t hold as well and blamed the greens even when they were soft, and never considered it was the ball.  In the test, the extra roll was attributed to Bridgestone non-urethane, more durable cover. Strictly use the Q now.  

Am going to try the TM Tour Response and Oncore Elixr and eventually Maxfli Tour, but I rarely lose balls so will be awhile. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

I had noticed days when the greens didn’t hold as well and blamed the greens even when they were soft, and never considered it was the ball.  In the test, the extra roll was attributed to Bridgestone non-urethane, more durable cover. Strictly use the Q now.  

I am not the best ball striker, nor do I impart enough short game spin to suck balls back or anything like that. But I can definitely see the difference in behavior around the greens when pitching/chipping/putting with the Q Star Tour (or another urethane ball) vs the e12 Contact.

I was just gifted a dozen of the AVX, a ball I've never tried. I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend so I can try them out. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm about to take a dive with Sugar and see how they are. Can't quite beat the cost here so whats the worst that can happen?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 8/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, Tiftaaft said:

What this tells me (at least using last year's ball selection and data) is that my 93 mph swing speed may not be fit best for the Maxfli Tour I'm playing... and I may should try the AVX as an option.  Of course, I'm most likely splitting hairs as the difference between the AVX and Maxfli Tour at 93 MPH is a whopping 4 yards... so it isn't like I'm giving up two clubs or anything - but a half club is a half club.  

For what it's worth I play both balls (Maxfli Tour and Titleist AVX). For normal conditions I play the Maxfli Tour but on Windy days I switch to the AVX. The AVX has a slightly lower ball flight and seems to be a little more predictable in the wind. But playing side by side in normal conditions I can't say that one is longer than the other. They both perform and feel very similar for me. Nobody's swing is perfect every time so a difference of a couple yards plus or minus between the two means nothing to me. I played them side by side and the distance between the two was like a game of leap frog. This one was slightly longer this time but next time the other was longer but not by much. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 7/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, brogies said:

Curious to hear what golf balls people are playing these days. I'm a notorious practice ball player, so I tend to use 2019 TP5/TP5x practice balls I get on either GolfDiscount or Amazon. But I've used a lot this year trying to find one I consistently like.

My notes so far this year: 

• Chromesofts are too, um, soft
  • Chromesoft X LS are a bit too hard and I don't notice any real difference in spin off the driver vs. Chromesoft X. 
  • TP5/TP5x are my favorite, as discussed above, but I'd like to try some newer generations and can't bring myself to pay $50 for a dozen.
  • Vice Pro Plus were ok. Didn't notice any big differences vs. TP5s but they're not as durable in my experience
  • Always have like ProV1s but I can't find practice/X-out versions anymore and i'm not paying $50 for a dozen. 

I'm planning on trying Maxfli Tour's next and hoping those can be my ball moving forward because the performance and quality seem right in line with other premium tour balls, but at a much better price point. And they're on sale all the time. 

What do you guys play consistently?

Hello Brogies

I find the TP5 very good ball along with the Chrome soft and Prov1. Of the less expensive balls the AD333.

Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

This year I decided to take the plunge and use ProV1’s exclusively on my Thursday league.  On Tuesday’s, I’m in a scramble league with my wife, and I’ve been using the Maxfli Straightfli balls.  Yes, it’s one end of the spectrum to the other.  My experiment was to discover how much the ball really matters for a high handicap player like myself.  My observations from throughout the season are that on many shots, there is not a noticeable difference, but on some, there is a big difference.  The Straightfli’s are great for the price, but the ProV1 stops within a step or two of the pitch mark.  The Straightfli will often be ten paces or more past my ball marks.  Next year, I want to try the Maxfli Tour balls.  There seems to be a lot of love for them here!

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag
41 minutes ago, Shankdog said:

There seems to be a lot of love for them here!

A lot of love for Maxfli Tour and Tour X because they are in the upper echelon of performance at the lower echelon of price for all urethane balls... at least that is what I have found.   Best Performance to Value ratio on the market IMHO. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
30 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

A lot of love for Maxfli Tour and Tour X because they are in the upper echelon of performance at the lower echelon of price for all urethane balls... at least that is what I have found.   Best Performance to Value ratio on the market IMHO. 

Agreed!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: Ping Anser (2023)

Ball: ProV1x

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I am not the best ball striker, nor do I impart enough short game spin to suck balls back or anything like that. But I can definitely see the difference in behavior around the greens when pitching/chipping/putting with the Q Star Tour (or another urethane ball) vs the e12 Contact.

I was just gifted a dozen of the AVX, a ball I've never tried. I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend so I can try them out. 

Haven’t played it but have heard the AVX is a very good ball.  Would be interested to hear what your experience is with it.  

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

1 hour ago, brogies said:

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Tiftaaft said:

If you are looking for a low driver spin urethane ball, this Vice Pro and Srixon Z-Star( buy 2 get 1 sale twice yearly) are the best values out there.

If you are looking for more driver spin, the Kirkland price point is crazy. The Srixon Z Star Diamond is also great when on sale.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Want to try a really nice ball,,,,cheap? Saintnine U-pro.

Try ‘em, you’ll like ‘em.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/balls/new-golf-balls/saintnine-u-pro-golf-balls/?sku=15ST9UPRO111111111YLW112&msclkid=1574f48af4c214e891ac978c264471d3

Edited by Motoboss

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

Here's my new golf ball stash!

2135640852_BallStash.jpg.b467f7d3702db9ecbd8e5756fb02b332.jpg

I have been playing Srixon QStar Tour (white, yellow and Divide) for the last couple of years.  With SS in the mid to low 70's I found it a good overall performance ball. 

Based on the feedback from others on this forum (plus being from Western NY and a Buffalo Bills fan), I wanted to give OnCore a try.  I did their ball fitting routine and contacted their customer support for their recommendations.  I ended up with the 2022 version of the Elixr and picked up 3 dozen with a recent promotion.  When it got into play, I found I lost about 10 yards on my drive. I sent in a review and within a few days OnCore customer support sent me samples of all their balls to try to see which ball worked the best for me.  Great customer service!  The 2020 version of Elixr proved to be better fitted for my game.   

I have a dozen ProV1's I got in a trade that I keep for tournaments where we have an alternate shot format as my playing partner uses that ball.   Take one for the team!

For now, I will go back and forth with the Srixon QStar Tour and OnCore 2020 Elixr.

Since I loosed a ball every three of four rounds (one nice thing of hitting the ball short), I should be good for balls for some time!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
2 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I have been playing Srixon QStar Tour (white, yellow and Divide) for the last couple of years.  With SS in the mid to low 70's I found it a good overall performance ball. 

Based on the feedback from others on this forum (plus being from Western NY and a Buffalo Bills fan), I wanted to give OnCore a try.  I did their ball fitting routine and contacted their customer support for their recommendations.  I ended up with the 2022 version of the Elixr and picked up 3 dozen with a recent promotion.  When it got into play, I found I lost about 10 yards on my drive. I sent in a review and within a few days OnCore customer support sent me samples of all their balls to try to see which ball worked the best for me.  Great customer service!  The 2020 version of Elixr proved to be better fitted for my game.   

I have a dozen ProV1's I got in a trade that I keep for tournaments where we have an alternate shot format as my playing partner uses that ball.   Take one for the team!

For now, I will go back and forth with the Srixon QStar Tour and OnCore 2020 Elixr.

Since I loosed a ball every three of four rounds (one nice thing of hitting the ball short), I should be good for balls for some time!

Similar to you, I've been playing the ELIXR and Q-Star Tour Divide quite a bit this year.  I think I prefer the original ELIXR, but maybe it's all about the matte green I have the original one's in?!?  For whatever reason, I prefer to play colored balls these days - lime green and the yellow/orange Divide are my favorites.  Not many people I play with have those colors, so it's always easy to know which ball is mine from a long ways out.

Great customer service from OnCore - impressive!!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

Being a walker, I find very good golf balls that I play with.  Of course my favorites are high-end Titleist, Callaway, or Taylormade.  I have also found and played Vice Pro, which performed well.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

12 hours ago, Peejer said:

Similar to you, I've been playing the ELIXR and Q-Star Tour Divide quite a bit this year.  I think I prefer the original ELIXR, but maybe it's all about the matte green I have the original one's in?!?  For whatever reason, I prefer to play colored balls these days - lime green and the yellow/orange Divide are my favorites.  Not many people I play with have those colors, so it's always easy to know which ball is mine from a long ways out.

Great customer service from OnCore - impressive!!

-- Peejer

One upside of playing the Srixon Divide is that if other golfers know you play them, if they find one they will give it to you.  I've probably gotten over a dozen Divide golf balls over the last year just by people saying "you play these right?"  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
  • 3 weeks later...

For about the last 3-4 years I've played the Pro v1x exclusively. This year I started adding the Pro V1 to my inventory. I acquired a couple sample packs from a Titleist ball fitting display to my home course this year. I hit a couple drives to areas of the fairway I've never played from before. It was hot and humid that day, and the ball flew. I liked the feel of it as well. I don't consider the Pro V1x to be too hard, like some golfers; but the pro V1 was distinctly softer. I'll keep a mix of both and see how I play with each version.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:38 PM, Golf2Much said:

That’s good info.  I’ve been playing the Q-Star Tour the last few years with good success and distance.  My SS is in the 88-92 range.  The Elixr caught my eye and I want to give them a try but may talk to their customer service before I buy. In the past have tried the Bridgestone e12.  Has a very similar feel off the tee and fairway as the Q ball, seems about the same distance but doesn’t hold greens as well.  It’s a 3 piece but not urethane cover.  I may also try the TM TourResponse as it got very good reviews by MGS. Seems trying these other balls just confirms and increases my confidence in Q-Star.