TESTERS WANTED! ×

5 wood or 3 wood?

Just now, Middler said:

The story of my (golf) life. I’ve learned and unlearned that lesson at least a thousand times. 🤨

Many of us have. I still fight it every so often, mostly when I’m ticked off

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Find what works for you as @RickyBobby_PR says. I’ve always been solid with fairway woods, back to the days when they were actually made of wood😅. Course conditions should also come into it, and how you will be playing it, of a tee or off the deck?

I find that for me committing to a solid swing is the key. Trying to hit it hard doesn’t work, equally, trying to guide it is equally as bad.

I went 5 wood over 3 iron, similar distance but more height and consistency with the 5 wood. Now carry a 7 wood which has replaced 4 iron/hybrid.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s no different than their normal swing. Many of those same people swing 100% with all clubs including wedges. They just try to swing harder with the longer club instead of either swinging faster or in control.

This is so true. I suspect we all become guilty of it from time to time. I also suspect that it gets worse if ever a player is I’ll suited to the equipment that he’s using. 

I’m stunned at how much easier a new set of grips is making it for me to swing the club. It’s not as if my old grips were worn, it’s that these have less taper.

I well remember that my pro in Wisconsin regularly fit members to 4 wood/7 wood, extra wedge rather than 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 iron (this was 20 years ago). Not everyone mind you but many.

3wood isn’t the right club for a lot of people. Hard for me to know if anyone is a part of the few that should game one. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Lots of great golf in Wisconsin for sure. The season was too short for my taste but I played some great courses whilst I lived there including the Koehler ones. 🙂

In-laws lived in Wisconsin before they passed. Played some fairly nice local courses, like Mound View, outside of Friendship-Adams area. And one of my favorites is Holiday Lodge, which is a "resort" style place, with motel rooms, A-frames you can rent, and camping and RV area. Reasonable pricing on golf w/cart, at least years ago. Have not been in a while. Never played Koehler. Have not been up to play since the brother in law moved to another state, namely South Carolina, which has some really nice local tracks, and very reasonably priced. Not like here in the Chicago area, where everywhere you go now, is over $50 a round. Everyone is playing twilight to get a better rate. The Forest Preseve District of my county is over $60 for prime time weekends. Sorry if this is off topic. Anyway, was thinking of replacing my aging 3 wood(Cally Diablo Octane), with something with tech adjustability. As I said in an earlier blog, it was working for me really well last Saturday, so I will play a few more rounds to see if I need to make that move. My bag is pretty much set, with new driver, irons, wedges, and putter, that I have upgraded over the last 2 seasons. I see a lot of you guys dropping the 3 wood for a 5 wood. I have 18, 21 degree Snake Eyes Viper hybrids to replace 5w, and 3 iron. I built these with components that could be had from Golfsmith. Put them together myself. They have weighted tech on them. First clubs I ever owned to have this tech. Set up for slight draw. Launch nice with a medium-low piercing flight. Not planning on replace these anytime soon. Lets see how my 3 wood does if I play this weekend...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

3wood isn’t the right club for a lot of people. Hard for me to know if anyone is a part of the few that should game one. 

Off the tee, most folks can hit a 3 wood, but off the deck, not so much. Took me awhile, but I figured out you can't play it off the deck like it's on the tee. I see guys topping off the deck all the time! Then they complain they "can't hit it off the deck", and next time they need distance on a par 5, they play a long iron. You MUST play it like a long/middle iron, and back it up in your stance, and don't try to kill it. The ball needs to be near the bottom of your swing arc. Take a controlled swing toward your target, and you might find you will be in a good place for your next shot. my .02...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

23 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is so true. I suspect we all become guilty of it from time to time. I also suspect that it gets worse if ever a player is I’ll suited to the equipment that he’s using. 

I’m stunned at how much easier a new set of grips is making it for me to swing the club. It’s not as if my old grips were worn, it’s that these have less taper.

I well remember that my pro in Wisconsin regularly fit members to 4 wood/7 wood, extra wedge rather than 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 iron (this was 20 years ago). Not everyone mind you but many.

For sure. Distance, ego, hero shots. We all suffer from those. But many of us learned to let those go and play golf. Learning to not go 100% on scoring clubs was one of the things that helped my game the most. The other was letting the club do the work. And the hard one sometimes to let go is swinging harder isn’t swing faster. I see this a lot with those of us who played baseball 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, drb1956 said:

Off the tee, most folks can hit a 3 wood, but off the deck, not so much. Took me awhile, but I figured out you can't play it off the deck like it's on the tee. I see guys topping off the deck all the time! Then they complain they "can't hit it off the deck", and next time they need distance on a par 5, they play a long iron. You MUST play it like a long/middle iron, and back it up in your stance, and don't try to kill it. The ball needs to be near the bottom of your swing arc. Take a controlled swing toward your target, and you might find you will be in a good place for your next shot. my .02...

I'm wondering if we have the same birth year.

At any rate while your suggestion is sound general advice - hitting the ball off the turf is a bit different from hitting it off a tee there is the reality that there are different swing types.  I have a very shallow Angle of Attack.  That's good for most shots, its why I have a lower handicap.  It is not good for hitting driver or 3 wood off the deck.

Even when I hit three wood well, I can do that most of the time BTW, I still hit 5 wood as far or father, unless the conditions are extremely dry.  The same holds true for 5 iron or 9 wood BTW.  It's not that I can't hit a 5 iron solidly, I can and do, its that my particular swing launches a 9 wood far better - easier to hit, better dispersion, better consistency.

That's me, but I suspect its true of many, if not most that there comes a point of diminishing returns for a player - off the turf with a wood is it 9.5, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18 degrees?  None of us can answer that question without seeing a person swing and watching or getting numbers for the subsequent ball flight.  I firmly believe that the best starting point for many is 17 degrees, get numbers with that club and if they are good, try 15 and compare.  If those aren't good, try adding 1/2 inch to the shaft of the 17 degree club and see what happens or else go for a gapping fitting - again the easiest way to solve all of this.  Someone earlier wrote about this perhaps being a matter of managing expectations.  How far should the longest fairway club in the bag go?  If your average drive is 230 (carry) is it reasonable to expect to have a club that carries 220 next?  Not likely.  

At our level of play the ones who do best are the ones who hit it most consistently, avoid three putts, make their short ones and stay within themselves as much as possible.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For sure. Distance, ego, hero shots. We all suffer from those. But many of us learned to let those go and play golf. Learning to not go 100% on scoring clubs was one of the things that helped my game the most. The other was letting the club do the work. And the hard one sometimes to let go is swinging harder isn’t swing faster. I see this a lot with those of us who played baseball 

I am a former college baseball player, and the "swing hard and hope you hit it" mantra from baseball days still comes through, unintended, when golfing on occasion. I have been playing very casual over the last 8 years, and don't practice nearly enough to get as consistent as I'd like (full time job and two kids under 5), but I try to focus on repeating solid contact when practicing on the range. Repeating a good swing, and overthinking, are by far my biggest obstacles. Too much noise in my head which I am trying to quiet down, and not thinking so much I know will help in the long run. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm wondering if we have the same birth year.

At any rate while your suggestion is sound general advice - hitting the ball off the turf is a bit different from hitting it off a tee there is the reality that there are different swing types.  I have a very shallow Angle of Attack.  That's good for most shots, its why I have a lower handicap.  It is not good for hitting driver or 3 wood off the deck.

Even when I hit three wood well, I can do that most of the time BTW, I still hit 5 wood as far or father, unless the conditions are extremely dry.  The same holds true for 5 iron or 9 wood BTW.  It's not that I can't hit a 5 iron solidly, I can and do, its that my particular swing launches a 9 wood far better - easier to hit, better dispersion, better consistency.

That's me, but I suspect its true of many, if not most that there comes a point of diminishing returns for a player - off the turf with a wood. If your average drive is 230 (carry) is it reasonable to expect to have a club that carries 220 next?  Not likely.  

At our level of play the ones who do best are the ones who hit it most consistently, avoid three putts, make their short ones and stay within themselves as much as possible.  

That is what I think! If I carry my driver 230, I could reasonably expect my 3 wood to carry 195-200 yards. Ok, with that being said, you DO want "gapping" in your set. I might have some overlap in my irons, but the rest of my bag should have real distance gaps, that I can rely on. Like I said, if you can hit your 3 wood as far as your driver, why have a driver? A 3 wood is a much more versatile club! And I totally agree with your last paragraph! Advance the ball, and "stay within yourself". Well said!!  And my birth year is in my screen name....

Edited by drb1956
add content

I could never hit a 3 wood off the deck, but I have had success with a 4 wood. So instead of 3w-5w I go 4w-7w.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

12 hours ago, tehuti said:

I could never hit a 3 wood off the deck, but I have had success with a 4 wood. So instead of 3w-5w I go 4w-7w.

Definetly a learning curve to get the 3 wood to work off the turf. Figured out just hit it like an iron, center stance. Works well 95 % of the time.  That 5% is what hurts my game. Shows up when I least likely need it to..BUT, I have made great strides with this club! It's getting to be a pretty natural swing to advance the ball, especially on par 5's. If I make a bad tee shot, I need my 3 to come thru for me, BIGTIME! Don't force it, just make good contact, stay within yourself. Lay-up if need be, don't go go for it if there is trouble downrange. Play smart, have fun!⁶

Back in my younger days and I wasn’t fitted for anything - cause i had no real money and everything was a hand-me-down - i used to tee off with a 3w and could crush that thing. 

now i have a fitted driver, but a huge gap from 285 (driver) to 220/225 (4i) so probably going to pickup a 3w or 5w soon…after a fitting, of course! 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

On 7/23/2022 at 6:36 PM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Back in my younger days and I wasn’t fitted for anything - cause i had no real money and everything was a hand-me-down - i used to tee off with a 3w and could crush that thing. 

now i have a fitted driver, but a huge gap from 285 (driver) to 220/225 (4i) so probably going to pickup a 3w or 5w soon…after a fitting, of course! 

Nice you can hit it 285!! Me, not so much. 250 was my big number, with driver, regular flex shafts, hitting it pure..Now, 230-235, if it is pure. Have a hole on my home course that has a short par 4, 240 to the front, and I have put it more than a few times on first cut, or just off about 5 yards to the left. So, on average, most of my drives are probably 220-225, but I am in the fairway most of the time. I am 65, my swing is shorter than it used to be. So. my 3 wood, on average, is probably 195~200. At the range, that is where I can carry it. I basically use that number on the course. Anything 180 or more..Good luck in your search. There are plenty of good clubs to choose from. And numbers aren't always the end all. To me, it must feel good in my hands, especially on contact. I've tried clubs that were good on distance, felt like I was swinging a 2x4. Bought something with a little more feel, less maybe 20 yards, and I know where the club head is. That's just me..

On 7/23/2022 at 6:36 PM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Back in 98', when I started playing, could not hit a wood to save my life. Actually, I had bought a driving iron, and it wasn't much better. Worked on using woods, driver, at the range. Found a Cleveland 2 iron, and it was pretty good! I could hit that club 180~200 yards off the tee. Now, I love my 3 wood. It's a Callaway Diablo Octane 15*, non-tour, with reg. flex shaft. If I have bad drive, I can make up a lot of distance with this club. Thought about replacing my current 3 wood, with something that has tech(adjustable hosel, replaceable shaft),but it plays so good for me lately, maybe not! A lot of the newer 3's do not have a "tall" face, and that is forgivness in off-center strikes. I will go try a few choices, taking my old 3 for comparison, baseline..Any thoughts on 3 woods that I should try??

2 hours ago, drb1956 said:

Back in 98', when I started playing, could not hit a wood to save my life. Actually, I had bought a driving iron, and it wasn't much better. Worked on using woods, driver, at the range. Found a Cleveland 2 iron, and it was pretty good! I could hit that club 180~200 yards off the tee. Now, I love my 3 wood. It's a Callaway Diablo Octane 15*, non-tour, with reg. flex shaft. If I have bad drive, I can make up a lot of distance with this club. Thought about replacing my current 3 wood, with something that has tech(adjustable hosel, replaceable shaft),but it plays so good for me lately, maybe not! A lot of the newer 3's do not have a "tall" face, and that is forgivness in off-center strikes. I will go try a few choices, taking my old 3 for comparison, baseline..Any thoughts on 3 woods that I should try??

Good starting point would be any of the ones the blog tested last year: https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-fairway-wood/

Also, keep hearing great things about Sub 70 and the new Cobra LTDx FW's. Would be worth making a trip to a qualified fitter and see what works best for your game. 

Let us know what you end up picking!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Good starting point would be any of the ones the blog tested last year: https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-fairway-wood/

Also, keep hearing great things about Sub 70 and the new Cobra LTDx FW's. Would be worth making a trip to a qualified fitter and see what works best for your game. 

Keep an eye out 2022 should be released in a couple of weeks.   I just wrapped up testing on Tuesday and others should be this week or early next week.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

I bought the Srixon ZX unhit because of the test and I am loving the hot face. Unexpected distance resulting in an eagle putt from a, thought was out of range shot.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

1 minute ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I bought the Srixon ZX unhit because of the test and I am loving the hot face. Unexpected distance resulting in an eagle putt from a, thought was out of range shot.

The Srixon fairways are one of my favorites

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/29/2022 at 8:52 AM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Gotta tell you, my current 3 wood is playing like a rock star lately!! Don't know what, or why, but it is doing exactly what I need it to do. Been thinking of upgrading, but now, not so sure. Getting down the fairway on a par 5 has become a lot easier as of late, and longer par 3's(185-200), are reachable with this club. A lot of it was me, as I often would struggle with this club, but now, plays like a new club in the bag. Going to hang on to it for the season, and will be reevaluating my bag at the end of the year. Playing a new ball last 5 rounds, and scores have been dropping. Might just be a combination of me, the club, and the ball, all FIT in the puzzle! Just ridin'  it out...

I was struggling with my 3 wood over the last year or so.  I hit my five wood (really a 2 degree delofted Callaway Heavenwood) well, but there's times I just need that 10 extra yards (typically two- or three-times a round).  This week I adjusted the Callaway three wood loft +1 degree to 16 degrees and it made all the difference!  Since the change I hit the 3 wood more consistently with a lower trajectory than my adjusted Heavenwood which gives me the 10 yards or so I was looking for.   

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I play a Ping G410 3 wood with a stiff Tour shaft and a Titleist TS2 5 wood with a regular flex Tensei shaft.  The 3 wood is low launch and the 5 wood is high launch.  This setup gives me more options in the top end of my bag, where I typically need it on long par 3's, long par 4's, and par 5's.    

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

I get similar carry distance between my 3w and 5w off the fairway... the distance is in the roll out.  3 wood has a flatter trajectory and is a perfect solution for me off the tee on short tight par 4's, or approach shots... If I am hitting to a target, or needing to cover a carry distance... the 5w all day long.  I get more consistent carry distances from the 5w than the 3w... If I need more than the 5w can give me... it is a lay up.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
On 7/19/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jnoble89 said:

I struggle to hit my 3 wood consistently off the deck ( raise your hand if you're with me!). I am wondering if a 5 wood would be easier to hit and get similar distance, or if I would still have the same issues? I've been working on correcting swing faults this year and it could be that more than anything else, but just thought I'd reach out for some opinions and what has/hasn't worked for others.

Currently gaming both a 3w and a 5w but VERY different clubs for very different reasons. The 5w hits high, soft, floaty shots that will hold even the firmest greens. The 3w hits bullets meant to chase out as far as possible.

My club has some holes that take driver out of your hands, so a 3w that I can reliably chase down the fairway about 90% as far as my driver is a money-maker. But there are also plenty of holes with ~220 yard approaches and I need to be able to throw something way up in the air and have it actually stop where it hits. When I play other courses, however, I'll often swap out one of the woods for a 2i, depending on the course needs.

All of that being said? I don't think most amateurs need a 3w at all. It's really not more accurate than your driver, the smaller head is harder to hit, and if you're in a scenario where you need fw wood off the deck, the statistical difference between 3w and 5w favors the loft of the 5w, which will impart less side spin, flying straighter, higher, and stopping quicker on the green. And if you get something with an adjustable hosel, hit it as a 5w and if you just neeeeeeed a few more yards, loft it down to ~4w loft. (For example, my Cobra 5w is 18.5 stock and I usually play it at 17.5 but can go down to 17 if needed. 4w is usually ~16.5...)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review