TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS Golf Watches ?

Thinking I will pick up a GPS golf watch this week. Been trying to use one of those free phone APPS and find it to be cumbersome and to much of a pain. Was thinking of getting the basic Garmin S10 as its cheap and looks to do the basic task of letting me know accurate yardages to the green and hazards, doglegs etc. But after more time watching/reading reviews maybe the Garmin S12 would be a good upgrade for minimal increase in cost? Or am I best to take the next jump up to the Garmini S42 ? Anyone with opinion on these models or for that matter any other make/model in which you found to be nice?

The Main Site recently reviewed a bunch of GPS devices, so might be a good place to start. 

You can also check out a few of the sub-forums for tech and real user feedback. 

fwiw, I went with ShotScope v3 w/ club tags and have loved it. It has really opened my eyes to my game and where my strengths and weaknesses lie, especially with the Strokes Gained feature. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

19 minutes ago, MarkH said:

Thinking I will pick up a GPS golf watch this week. Been trying to use one of those free phone APPS and find it to be cumbersome and to much of a pain. Was thinking of getting the basic Garmin S10 as its cheap and looks to do the basic task of letting me know accurate yardages to the green and hazards, doglegs etc. But after more time watching/reading reviews maybe the Garmin S12 would be a good upgrade for minimal increase in cost? Or am I best to take the next jump up to the Garmini S42 ? Anyone with opinion on these models or for that matter any other make/model in which you found to be nice?

I use GoldPad on my phone and it displays on my Apple Watch. That can cover both bases for you. Plus Golfpad is free

Over the last several years I had a Bushnell Neo Ion and most recently a Garmin S40.  The Bushnell was pretty basic and less expensive.  I liked the Garmin S40.  It picks up the GPS signals and loads the course that I'm playing quickly.  The S40 is light weight and not obtrusive.  The display was good size and I had no problem seeing the distances in the sunlight.  The S40 does have some basic shot tracking capability (even without using the optional tags you can purchase).   Unfortunately, I found it took too much time and effort to edit missed or inaccurate shots after the round.  So, I stopped using the S40 to track my statistics.  

I'm currently one of the site's testers of the Shot Scope LX+ which includes the above mentioned H3 GPS and tracking device.  So far, I like it.  The addition of the club tags not only reduces the post round editing, but it gives me a greater insight into my game (good and bad).

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I have the S10. I just want distances to the greens. It has a feature for bunkers, but I rarely use it. I want it simple! I was using a phone app, but every shot I had to pull out the phone. Hassle! I love it! Tee off, get to the ball, look at the watch, distance to the middle is shown on top slightly larger, than to the back, on the bottom is distance to the front. Easy to read, quick! Once I turn it on, I get it to locate the course, which can take a few minutes. After that I never have to touch the watch. It knows what hole I am on. At the end of the round, I end round. Done! It can be worn as a watch when not playing. Comes with a charger, and special charging cord. Does what I want it to do...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 7/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Golf2Much said:

Over the last several years I had a Bushnell Neo Ion and most recently a Garmin S40.  The Bushnell was pretty basic and less expensive.  I liked the Garmin S40.  It picks up the GPS signals and loads the course that I'm playing quickly.  The S40 is light weight and not obtrusive.  The display was good size and I had no problem seeing the distances in the sunlight.  The S40 does have some basic shot tracking capability (even without using the optional tags you can purchase).   Unfortunately, I found it took too much time and effort to edit missed or inaccurate shots after the round.  So, I stopped using the S40 to track my statistics.  

I'm currently one of the site's testers of the Shot Scope LX+ which includes the above mentioned H3 GPS and tracking device.  So far, I like it.  The addition of the club tags not only reduces the post round editing, but it gives me a greater insight into my game (good and bad).

Cannot say enough about club tags! One of the main reasons I went with the V3 - that and no yearly subscription fee - are what sold me on the Shotscope. Instantly recognizes my club and then tracks performance for each seemlessly. Only editing I have had to do post round is when I forget to collect pin - user error, not device - or I take a practice shot with one club, don't like it, and then switch to a different one. Even then it's only like twice I have had to make edits in that situation, so still super easy. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, tommc23 said:

I use GoldPad on my phone and it displays on my Apple Watch. That can cover both bases for you. Plus Golfpad is free

I just tried to download golfpad on my iPhone but couldn't setup my password, is it for USA only use as I'm in NZ?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I don’t think it’s US only.  Pulled this off their support site: We have over 40,000 world-wide courses included with our app. Most likely, your home course is one of them!
https://support.golfpadgps.com/support/solutions/articles/6000133708-why-should-i-create-an-account-in-golf-pad-

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

15 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

I don’t think it’s US only.  Pulled this off their support site: We have over 40,000 world-wide courses included with our app. Most likely, your home course is one of them!
https://support.golfpadgps.com/support/solutions/articles/6000133708-why-should-i-create-an-account-in-golf-pad-

Thanks yeah I didn’t believe that but? Will try again, cheers 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 3:47 PM, MarkH said:

So, did you get a Garmin? I love mine. So simple to use. A little pricey, but with out the hassle of pulling out your phone on the fairway. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I had a G10, now I use an S20 - and it does everything I want. The GPS distances aren't always accurate (depends on the course file), the golf carts at my home course are more accurate, and I use my Precision Pro NX7 Pro when I really want more precise distances. The S20 keeps all my stats, including shot distances using Automatic Shot (distance) detection - that was fun to see my driver distances and dispersion, but after a while it's of little interest to me. Too bad the S20 is no longer available as the S12 has fewer capabilities at a higher price but that's what I'd buy today. I have no interest in the higher up Garmin models, S42 or S62, the screen is too small to look at detail and they're just too bulky on the wrist. YMMV

Some of my friends use their Apple Watch/iPhone golf apps and they provide a lot of detail, but I don't want to use my phone on the course, so I am sticking with dedicated Garmin golf watches. And I’m not sure if the Apple golf apps keep scores and playing stats that I use? Though I will admit when we travel to a new course, I might sneak a peak at their phones for hole layouts...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

For sure, I love the simplicity of my Garmin S10. My phone stays in my golf bag, or in the cart. So far it has been pretty accurate. Playing partners use their phone apps, and we are no more than a yard apart sometimes. Yeah, they are a little pricey, but figure out what you would spend if you paid for apps over a period of time. I got tired of the "FREE" apps, because after a while, the pester you to subscibe, or bomb you with ads, so much, I could not use the app! I had tried 3 different apps over 5 years-same thing every time.

Edited by drb1956
spelling

5 hours ago, drb1956 said:

For sure, I love the simplicity of my Garmin S10. My phone stays in my golf bag, or in the cart. So far it has been pretty accurate. Playing partners use their phone apps, and we are no more than a yard apart sometimes. Yeah, they are a little pricey, but figure out what you would spend if you paid for apps over a period of time. I got tired of the "FREE" apps, because after a while, the pester you to subscibe, or bomb you with ads, so much, I could not use the app! I had tried 3 different apps over 5 years-same thing every time.

Yeah free apps bomb you with millions of ads, I'm using an handheld device I bought from another golfer for $50 that works perfectly..