TESTERS WANTED! ×

New PXG 0211 XCOR2 Irons

GolfSpy SAM

So, announced today (MGS Article Link Here) are the new iteration of the 0211s, and it's definitely got my attention.

Question for those of you who've played both/either:  The gains seem small over the original 0211s (now priced at $79/club).  Would you go original 0211, Sub-70 Pro 699 (which have ALSO got to be due for a refresh), or try out these new 0211s for a nearly-$50/club upcharge (but man that all-black one looks goooood, albeit for even more $$ per club)?

I know, I know, this is probably an impossible question, but...I'm asking it anyway.

I'm currently playing a 2020 set of Sim Max Irons, and as my game progresses (went from 20+ handicap to currently sitting at 12.4), newer/nicer clubs constantly have my attention. 

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Disgust at my abject magpie-self? 😉

-Samsonite.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

26 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

You'd have to hit them both to compare, but from the article this morning it sounds like the new version is lower spinning which might not be ideal for a lot of players.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

3 minutes ago, PBH3 said:

You'd have to hit them both to compare, but from the article this morning it sounds like the new version is lower spinning which might not be ideal for a lot of players.

Yeah, I didn't love that aspect.  I'm tempted to set up a fitting and try the new/old 0211, and have a Demo set of the 699 Pro on-hand as well to see how they feel (especially as the 6-iron 699 is 27* vs. 7-iron of the PXG at 28*.  I imagine that would be a pretty clear indicator of which is preferred.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be curious what a shaft fitting would gain you in spin. From the specs/details I saw, I believe there's a spinnier shaft available when fitted which would not involve an upcharge. Definitely liking what I saw from the simulator video and the on-course videos I saw on YouTube from the Let's Play Thru guy. He's an above average golfer with a moderate swing speed, but is a very good communicator about equipment and makes entertaining, informative videos.

I don't have any info to help your decision @Samsoniteexcept to say that generally there is little performance difference in most subsequent model year designs. Definitely hitting them side by side would be best. I will also add that since joining MGS, my impression of PXG has completely changed.  I originally viewed them as an expensive, snobbish, bling-focused, who's who and wants to be seen playing them product.  I now see them as a very competitive product both in price and performance.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I don't have any info to help your decision @Samsoniteexcept to say that generally there is little performance difference in most subsequent model year designs. Definitely hitting them side by side would be best. I will also add that since joining MGS, my impression of PXG has completely changed.  I originally viewed them as an expensive, snobbish, bling-focused, who's who and wants to be seen playing them product.  I now see them as a very competitive product both in price and performance.  

Ditto - it honestly was the 0211 that turned my head.  I'm just NOT in the market for multi-hundred-per-iron sets, and the idea that they'd created something AS GOOD OR BETTER and were selling it at significantly cheaper...not to mention the sales they seem to always be having (brand new Gen 5 driver for 299???)...I think they've figured out their model.

And for sure, year over year is hardly ever worth it, but I'll say having hit (for fun, as I have the original 2020s) the 2021 Sim Max 2 irons, and then the Stealth irons - TaylorMade really did make some significant improvements year over year.  

I feel like it'd be hard to go wrong with the original 0211s at this point, but hitting them side-by-side with the new ones would at least quench that nagging brain-fire-thought. 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Can’t comment on the 0211’s but I’ll give another option. 

Takomo Iron 101. You can get 4-PW heads only for $300 plus $30 shipping to the US.  That’s sub $50 a head. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Can’t comment on the 0211’s but I’ll give another option. 

Takomo Iron 101. You can get 4-PW heads only for $300 plus $30 shipping to the US.  That’s sub $50 a head. 

Oh, I’m VERY aware of the Takomos. I’ve been eyeing the 101/101-Ts for a while - I think they’re spectacular looking, and everyone who’s hit them on YouTube has said they’re pretty fantastic. 

My only pause is the lack of being able to hit them prior, and ordering in customized specs (2° flat, for instance) makes them ineligible for returns. I could always try to re-sell, but…

The price is SO good, it might be worth a flyer. 

Have you played them? 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

7 hours ago, Samsonite said:

Oh, I’m VERY aware of the Takomos. I’ve been eyeing the 101/101-Ts for a while - I think they’re spectacular looking, and everyone who’s hit them on YouTube has said they’re pretty fantastic. 

My only pause is the lack of being able to hit them prior, and ordering in customized specs (2° flat, for instance) makes them ineligible for returns. I could always try to re-sell, but…

The price is SO good, it might be worth a flyer. 

Have you played them? 

I have not played them but they are on my very short list for my next irons. I’m probably either going cheap with Takomo or expensive with PXG Gen5 Xtreme Dark. 

The P790’s currently in the bag have a fairly wide front to back dispersion for me. For example I usually hit my 7-iron 160ish give or take a couple yards and I managed to nuke one the other day 30 yards over the par 3 and ob. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have two seasons on the 0211 driver and irons.  I first bought the driver and liked it so much I bought the irons.  For me, they have been nothing short of excellent.  I came from Srixon 565 to the 0211.  In terms of accuracy and consistency the 0211 win and by a large margin.  From what I have read the new version is a bit longer.  Honestly the bigger draw to me is the black head, that paired with the MMT shaft would look killer.  Before dropping the coin for that I would schedule and pay for a fitting with PXG and do the comparison.  I really have no plans to do so because I like the current 0211 irons so much.

I did do that when I considered the Gen 4 driver and trackman told us the 0211 was better, at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with customer service (re-routing my driver to a local FedEx spot for easier pick-up in case I'm not home to sign for it), and was informed that there's a new deal, live as of last night:

0211 XCOR2 are now $119/club if you buy 5 or more clubs (and ... how would you not?).  So that makes a 5-GW set starting at $714 (and free shipping).  That's...a crazy good deal.  

Considering they're brand new (effectively), they're on sale way faster than I would have expected.  May need to schedule a fitting soon to see if those could be an improvement over what I'm currently gaming. 

Fascinating.

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 8/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, Duffer Steve said:

I'd be curious what a shaft fitting would gain you in spin. From the specs/details I saw, I believe there's a spinnier shaft available when fitted which would not involve an upcharge. Definitely liking what I saw from the simulator video and the on-course videos I saw on YouTube from the Let's Play Thru guy. He's an above average golfer with a moderate swing speed, but is a very good communicator about equipment and makes entertaining, informative videos.

Unless someone is in an ill fitted shaft a change in shaft doesn’t produce much change for people.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

After I saw they were offering full refund returns, I ordered a 7 iron to try.  The good is it looks good, isn't big by GI standards and sounds and feels good.  For me, the 7 iron flight was too low.  Not surprising considering the 28 degree loft.  That's a 6 iron in 7 iron clothing.  I'm sticking with my 0311 P's.  If you are a high ball hitter the new XCor2 might be just the ticket, but as an old fart, I need help elevating the ball.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I can answer having played a variety of the 311s as well as the new 211s. I am currently gaming the 311P Gen 5s. I play to a 6. I love my current set particularly the “feel” benefits of a forged iron. However, I recently played out of town and tried the new 211s. While they did not have the maneuverability of soft feel of my 5s, the played great. I probably gained 5 yards and the drop in feel was not nearly as great as I feared. In short, the new 211s rock at a reasonable price. And, I love the black finish too….

• 3 months later...