Jump to content
Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

Ping ChipR


null

Recommended Posts

With chippers having such a stigma around them, it’s nice to see a company like Ping make a return to the market with such a polished product that looks great in any bag. 

As always, you can check on the fully write up over on the blog https://mygolfspy.com/ping-chipr-just-in-time-for-the-open/

This thread will serve as the unofficial feedback/review thread for those of us trying the Ping ChipR as well as for those interested to ask questions 

 

 

800C0D37-D816-4CB5-BC0D-17C46981FAF0.jpeg

B113863D-8272-4062-976A-E7F7247C2094.jpeg

13D40262-EA9D-4EFC-BB2F-60117587B26B.jpeg

99D75A19-E778-46B9-A581-D2AE083A20BB.jpeg

EA8F911B-5934-49AC-A52D-DEF3A3C4DC4C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The negative? I didn’t have to use it once during my actual round this morning! 
 

The positive? I chipped for about 15 minutes before my round and it was a joke. Just stupid east to use. My nemesis shot is when I’m just in the rough off the green with not a lot of green to work with.  First 3 chips i hit from this location all ended within 2 ft of the hole. Need to spend some more time on the longer chips to see where the top end of my range is with the putting grip/stroke and when in need to start using a more tradition chipping grip and motion. 
 

Early feedback is extremely promising and my big take away from my round was there was no performance drop of from going from 50/54/60 to 52/58

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this in another thread.
 

Anyone CAN learn to chip with a lower lofted club, but,,,,,,,

The new Ping ChipR is a putter with a 9iron’ish head thereby giving the opportunity to chip with the best success stance and action of a putter. At 6’ 3” and +1 irons my chipping stance is still no where near my putting stance due to club lie angle and length and makes chipping contact much more imperfect than a mishit with my putter.

Overall success of a better strike, and result is increased with the putter over a iron. Ah ha,,,, the ChipR!

The oldest gentleman in our group uses a chipper, something from years gone by, and it pisses me off. Not because he uses it but because he’s darn good with it! He struggles from high ruff with a wedge but everywhere else that chipper usually puts him in one putt, or pick up range.

 I can use a wedge, 6, 7 or 8 from anywhere around the green pretty well and usually get up and down but I have no ego and ordered the new Ping ChipR. Anything to help drop 2, 3 or more strokes a round is the difference between shooting mid 80’s into the high 70’s.

We’ll see how it works out. Or not.

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My "Mazel" chipper (Square Strike but with a different (more Jewish?) name - seriously, am I saying it wrong? Is there another way to pronounce "Mazel" except as part of "Tov"?) arrived yesterday - was going to do a mini-review, but then saw OG did an incredible thread a few years back, and figured it was overkill.  I got it in the black-version (not bright green - nasty, lol), and 45*, and was only able to use it around the back yard, but I will say that the design of it is pretty smart: weighted and upright like a putter, immediately gets me closer to the ball, ball flies legit dead straight for wherever I'm aiming.  So far, so good.

I've been chipping almost exclusively with my PW (44* set wedge), and have definitely seen an improvement from trying to use my 52*, but I'm still wildly inconsistent with the distance.  I'm curious to see if this helps my distance control - if not, I got it on sale on Prime Day for $60, so...easy enough to offload for a wash.

I'm also going to throw a midsize grip on it - the grip on this isn't CRAZY skinny or anything, but it stinks like a tire, and doesn't feel nearly as nice as my standard grips, so I'll see if that has any effect.

Loved seeing Ping come out with the ChipR (such a stupid name), but was pretty surprised at the near-$200 price, especially given the price of this (admittedly lower-quality, based on first impressions) thing.

L'Chaim. (now I'm just trying to make myself laugh)

 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does it come with a full set of iron covers!?!



now lets see people lose their minds...

 

  • Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 54* & 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PBH3 said:

Does it come with a full set of iron covers!?!



now lets see people lose their minds...

Lol - my Mazel (Square Strike Sibling) came with a cover, and it's hilarious. "Chipper" it says - as if I could be confused what it could be, lol.  I'm keeping it on, just to piss off anyone I play with 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, jlukes said:

With chippers having such a stigma around them, it’s nice to see a company like Ping make a return to the market with such a polished product that looks great in any bag. 

As always, you can check on the fully write up over on the blog https://mygolfspy.com/ping-chipr-just-in-time-for-the-open/

This thread will serve as the unofficial feedback/review thread for those of us trying the Ping ChipR as well as for those interested to ask questions 

 

 

800C0D37-D816-4CB5-BC0D-17C46981FAF0.jpeg

B113863D-8272-4062-976A-E7F7247C2094.jpeg

13D40262-EA9D-4EFC-BB2F-60117587B26B.jpeg

99D75A19-E778-46B9-A581-D2AE083A20BB.jpeg

EA8F911B-5934-49AC-A52D-DEF3A3C4DC4C.jpeg

Not what I envisioned, actually looks OK.  Looking forward to review.

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would bet my life’s savings that every golfer above scratch would benefit from a Chipr.  

Looking forward to following this one.

  • Ping G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei 1K white 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Olmsted421 said:

I’ll just stick with a 7 or 8 iron

Sure, I hear that, but...does your 7 or 8 iron COME WITH ITS OWN COVER WITH "CHIPPER" EMBROIDERED ON IT?  DOES IT?  HUH?????

😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shafts are too long and lie angles off when u try to use 7 iron, too many variables.  I luv my pre Prohibition (?) or Eisenhower era Don Martin, bronze, no groove, "Up-N-In".  And either re-gap your wedges, or drop a long iron or something between driver and five iron to make room for it.  But no, if you are hitting greens with most approach clubs, no, u don't need a chippie. Ebay usually has some Don Martins.  Save the extra $$$ for the premium draft beers.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't imagine how bad my chipping has to be to carry a dedicated club for it. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

5w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

7w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

60º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I can't imagine how bad my chipping has to be to carry a dedicated club for it. 

Come play a round with me and you can see why I got one...No imagination necessary

 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I can't imagine how bad my chipping has to be to carry a dedicated club for it. 

Bet you can say the same thing about your putter too!

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I can't imagine how bad my chipping has to be to carry a dedicated club for it. 

I've tried the one at MGS headquarters and it works for chipping and finesse shots so it is pretty versatile.    I'd be willing to drop a lob wedge to put it in the bag. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I've tried the one at MGS headquarters and it works for chipping and finesse shots so it is pretty versatile.    I'd be willing to drop a lob wedge to put it in the bag. 

That’s my concern. Don’t know what I would feel comfortable dropping from the bag….I still can’t decide if I prefer my 3/4 irons or the 4 hybrid and now I’d have to give up a wedge? 😳

Swing Thought: If you think, you stink

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MyCatsMom said:

That’s my concern. Don’t know what I would feel comfortable dropping from the bag….I still can’t decide if I prefer my 3/4 irons or the 4 hybrid and now I’d have to give up a wedge? 😳

  People have all different combinations of clubs....FW woods, hybrids, driving irons,  long irons,  lots of wedges,  high lofted wedges, chippers.    What works for one player may not work for another.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up a Cleveland Smart Sole 4 chipper after watching the Mark Crossfield Ping ChipR video. It just came in yesterday and initial testing on my practice green was very promising. I'm torn on which club I'll remove if I decide to bag it. I'm hoping to get some testing on a real green tonight if my Tuesday legue doesn't get rained out.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@cnosil 100 percent right on bag make up. I'd be willing with the shorter par 5's on my course to drop 3 wood for it. or get back to three wedges, 44, 50, and 56 with chipper in play as well.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

 :titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

 :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

 SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Samsonite said:

My "Mazel" chipper (Square Strike but with a different (more Jewish?) name - seriously, am I saying it wrong? Is there another way to pronounce "Mazel" except as part of "Tov"?) arrived yesterday - was going to do a mini-review, but then saw OG did an incredible thread a few years back, and figured it was overkill.  I got it in the black-version (not bright green - nasty, lol), and 45*, and was only able to use it around the back yard, but I will say that the design of it is pretty smart: weighted and upright like a putter, immediately gets me closer to the ball, ball flies legit dead straight for wherever I'm aiming.  So far, so good.

I've been chipping almost exclusively with my PW (44* set wedge), and have definitely seen an improvement from trying to use my 52*, but I'm still wildly inconsistent with the distance.  I'm curious to see if this helps my distance control - if not, I got it on sale on Prime Day for $60, so...easy enough to offload for a wash.

I'm also going to throw a midsize grip on it - the grip on this isn't CRAZY skinny or anything, but it stinks like a tire, and doesn't feel nearly as nice as my standard grips, so I'll see if that has any effect.

Loved seeing Ping come out with the ChipR (such a stupid name), but was pretty surprised at the near-$200 price, especially given the price of this (admittedly lower-quality, based on first impressions) thing.

L'Chaim. (now I'm just trying to make myself laugh)

 

I still have my Square Strike Wedge and I've picked a many of pocket with it too!  If you think you're too good of a golfer to use this type club then I feel sorry for ya. Looking forward to more posts on this new Ping 👍

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ole gray said:

I still have my Square Strike Wedge and I've picked a many of pocket with it too!  If you think you're too good of a golfer to use this type club then I feel sorry for ya. Looking forward to more posts on this new Ping 👍

I was wondering if you still had it! I read through the whole thread you posted - great stuff.  I'm excited to get out and get some reps in with it before I take it out to play for the first time.  So far, anecdotally in the back yard, I'm pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to handle and get the desired results.  I'll need to dial in the pace, as that's been my Achilles heel with my (not-square-strike) Wedge, so hopefully I can *pick the pockets* of my buddies soon 🙂

 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I was wondering if you still had it! I read through the whole thread you posted - great stuff.  I'm excited to get out and get some reps in with it before I take it out to play for the first time.  So far, anecdotally in the back yard, I'm pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to handle and get the desired results.  I'll need to dial in the pace, as that's been my Achilles heel with my (not-square-strike) Wedge, so hopefully I can *pick the pockets* of my buddies soon 🙂

 

There ya go, take em to the woodshed buddy! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Samsonite said:

I was wondering if you still had it! I read through the whole thread you posted - great stuff.  I'm excited to get out and get some reps in with it before I take it out to play for the first time.  So far, anecdotally in the back yard, I'm pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to handle and get the desired results.  I'll need to dial in the pace, as that's been my Achilles heel with my (not-square-strike) Wedge, so hopefully I can *pick the pockets* of my buddies soon 🙂

 

The extra swing weight is fantastic. I believe it’s D7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely intend to pick up a ChipR when they are available.  I chip ok, but not often close enough to one putt.  Without a doubt I have the most success with a 9 iron bump and run, but I don't ever feel comfortable hitting it with the sole flat on the ground, and any time I move closer and have a more upright club, I tend to blade it.  So I'll be giving the chipper a try and see if it can shave a few strokes off.  If it does, I could easily remove my 3 wood or possibly one of my higher lofted wedges.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, bens197 said:

I would bet my life’s savings that every golfer above scratch would benefit from a Chipr.  

Looking forward to following this one.

Can’t wait. It’s tough to use a 9 or PW and hit something within 10-ft. You want ti put enough velocity in it to pick the ball up, but not too much to let it run too far.

 “They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken.”

‒ Raymond Flyod

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...