Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2 piece golfballs

10 hours ago, Ddpham said:

Have you play e12 soft? 

No. Really never tried any Bridgestone balls. Am I missing something??

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I almost started another thread about this because it might not fit into the scope the original poster had in mind, but it seems to fit with what others are taking about so I'm putting it here.

I have golfed most of my life with a 2 piece ball... or whatever I found on the course.  To be honest I was never that serious about golf. I played it and enjoyed it but never put the effort into getting any better at it.  I would play for a while then put it down for a few years then pick it back up again. The 2 piece ball was fine for me and to tell you the truth I never noticed much of a difference between any of them besides maybe a little softer feel of some of them. 

I picked golf back up this year, but this time I was serious about getting better and finally being able to play to my potential. I'm still only about a bogey player but feel like I am getting better now that I am learning the right way to do things. I hit the ball fairly far and fairly straight off the tee but have struggled to keep the ball on the green. That said I have been doing a lot of research on balls. More than I would like to admit. I realized that maybe a 2 piece ball is not for me. I wanted to be able to stop better on the green so I wanted to go for a 3 piece with a urethane cover and a soft layer underneath to get a little better spin on the greens.  After a lot of research I decided to try the Maxfli Tour.  Mostly because of the cost vs performance aspect and it got good reviews.  I can tell a difference on the greens. It is definitely better but I lost a little control with my drives. I hit it far and kind of straight but see more of a difference than I would like. Then I found a Divide someone lost and decided to give it a try. I think this is my Goldilocks ball at this point in my game. It is the Srixon Q-star Tour.  It has the 3 piece advantages that I want but with a little lower compression (72 vs 85) it seems straighter off the tee and still gets good distance with my swing speed. 

The bottom line is if you have a slow swing speed and not good control over your drives a 2 piece ball is absolutely the way to go but there will (hopefully) come a time as you progress and get better that you will need to upgrade your ball. I think most golfers are still at that 2 piece ball stage.  I can hit them long and straight, but at this point in my game the most important thing for me is stay on the green. Hopefully soon the Maxfli Tour will be my go to ball.

2 hours ago, Lynyrd said:

I almost started another thread about this because it might not fit into the scope the original poster had in mind, but it seems to fit with what others are taking about so I'm putting it here.

I have golfed most of my life with a 2 piece ball... or whatever I found on the course.  To be honest I was never that serious about golf. I played it and enjoyed it but never put the effort into getting any better at it.  I would play for a while then put it down for a few years then pick it back up again. The 2 piece ball was fine for me and to tell you the truth I never noticed much of a difference between any of them besides maybe a little softer feel of some of them. 

I picked golf back up this year, but this time I was serious about getting better and finally being able to play to my potential. I'm still only about a bogey player but feel like I am getting better now that I am learning the right way to do things. I hit the ball fairly far and fairly straight off the tee but have struggled to keep the ball on the green. That said I have been doing a lot of research on balls. More than I would like to admit. I realized that maybe a 2 piece ball is not for me. I wanted to be able to stop better on the green so I wanted to go for a 3 piece with a urethane cover and a soft layer underneath to get a little better spin on the greens.  After a lot of research I decided to try the Maxfli Tour.  Mostly because of the cost vs performance aspect and it got good reviews.  I can tell a difference on the greens. It is definitely better but I lost a little control with my drives. I hit it far and kind of straight but see more of a difference than I would like. Then I found a Divide someone lost and decided to give it a try. I think this is my Goldilocks ball at this point in my game. It is the Srixon Q-star Tour.  It has the 3 piece advantages that I want but with a little lower compression (72 vs 85) it seems straighter off the tee and still gets good distance with my swing speed. 

The bottom line is if you have a slow swing speed and not good control over your drives a 2 piece ball is absolutely the way to go but there will (hopefully) come a time as you progress and get better that you will need to upgrade your ball. I think most golfers are still at that 2 piece ball stage.  I can hit them long and straight, but at this point in my game the most important thing for me is stay on the green. Hopefully soon the Maxfli Tour will be my go to ball.

Good luck! I have been in 2 piece mode for a long time. I have tried 3 piece balls. Love them around the green, but they don't like me off the tee. So, I'm playing a 2 piece that has pretty good manners around the green, and stays in the fairway most of my round. Does what I need it to do for my game at this point. I try from time to time, but usually go back to my 2 piece. It is my gamer for this year..TopFlite Hammer Control yellow...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 8/9/2022 at 12:45 PM, drb1956 said:

Good luck! I have been in 2 piece mode for a long time. I have tried 3 piece balls. Love them around the green, but they don't like me off the tee. So, I'm playing a 2 piece that has pretty good manners around the green, and stays in the fairway most of my round. Does what I need it to do for my game at this point. I try from time to time, but usually go back to my 2 piece. It is my gamer for this year..TopFlite Hammer Control yellow...

I took these out today and they are performing exactly like I wanted. They are hitting the fairways nice and long and sticking.  No more issues with balls rolling off the back of the green. So far I am extremely happy. 

ball2.jpg

ball1.jpg

Found a box of these at Wally World for $16.00 a dozen and putting them into play next week.

https://saintnineamerica.com/

Usually play BS RX330 or Pro V1’s but actually looking for something with a bit less spin. My trajectory with a long iron the ball stops within a couple feet and wedges drop dead or back up.
I want something with less spin that has some run out for my chips and pitches, so trying  a new (to me) two piece ball.

I guess it’s all about your swing and the type of spin (or lack thereof) you put on the ball. My regular playing partner gets a lot of roll out no matter what club he uses, even his 64* wedge will roll out 6-8 feet.
And he calls that his dead stop flop shot! 🙂 

Edited by Motoboss

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft