2 piece golfballs

I'm a high handicap golfer and lose 1-2 balls a round on average and I play tour balls pretty much exclusively.  The performance benefits on distance and spin are well documented and if you plan in advance there really isn't a reason why anyone can't afford tour balls.  I always buy them on sale and I'm willing to stock up when needed.  Currently I'm playing the maxfli tour x and was playing z-star xv before that and I paid under $30 a dozen on average.  

While I admit that's more than the $15 you pay for 15 rocks at Walmart,  it's worth the $2-3 a round extra to me.  I've got a couple grand tied up in clubs, $45-65 a round each weekend and beers at $6 each after tip so for me the extra $70 per season for a higher performing ball is a no brainer.

• Like 1

I like the Titleist Trufeel. I like that it feels a little firmer than most of the softer balls I’ve tried but still has a nice feel off the driver. I really love how it feels off the putter. I usually have proVs in my bag that I’ve gotten as presents and I will say they do stop better on chips and pitches but I’ve never liked putting them for some reason. I’m not quite sure for my game I’m ready to pay the more for something like a Pro V when I’m pretty happy with the Trufeel. 

• Like 1

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Oh why not... 

The best 2 piece golf ball, Titleist Velocity. Are there others are are also about as good? Yes. But if you are going to play a 2 piece ball, that is the one I would recommend.

And I'll tell you why! but first, I want to address a few myths on the Ionomer(2 piece) vs Urethane(3 piece +) that I have had the time to test.

Myth #1: Urethane balls spin more with driver. 

Reality #1: False. There are some very high spinning urethane balls(kirkland) but also some very low spinning ones(pro v1). Ionomer balls tend to fall right in the fat part of the ball spin bell curve, and for good reason. The OEMs are trying to get a ball that fits the most people. If you slice a Urethane ball off into the woods... you would have sliced an ionomer ball into the woods. 

Myth #2: Ionomer balls don't stop on the green

Reality #2: Mostly false. With full a swing using an 8i or longer club , there isn't much difference. Testing a Velocity vs a Pro V1 the Velocity launches  slightly higher, with less spin, but it lands coming down steeper. The end results are more or less the same.  With shots less then that... the lower spin on a ionomer ball becomes more noticeable. Mostly because the slightly higher launch doesn't make up for the difference when the shot doesn't go that high to start with. This is where people are very correct is saying that the roll out on short shots around the greens can play out differently. If you are lofting a 56° wedge in from 15y, they will behave pretty differently. You need to plan accordingly. 

I joked with @fixyurdivotduring our annual meetup. He was cleaning his wedges after using the range. I know he often puts an ionomer ball into play and I was remarking that there was no reason for him to clean his wedge to get that extra 1k backspin, if he just used a urethane ball he would get an extra 3k.... Joking, but not joking 😃

The other really big not discussed difference is performance in the wet. Ionomer covers do not like being wet, at all. A Pro V1 handles being wet shockingly well, without too much change in launch and spin from driver through wedge. But ionomer balls will launch SIGNIFICANTLY higher and with about half the spin. You basically hit a flyer on every shot. The Pro V does better then most other Urethane balls, but every Ionomer I have tested does the same. They become moon rockets. Again, some thing you need to be aware of and play accordingly. 

As others have mentioned, the $$$ difference is generally pretty minimal. Some of the Vice urethane balls are like $15/dz, Maxfli's are often 26/dz. And others are in that range. 

All that said, the Velocity is my pick because with driver and with an iron, it performs as good as any good 3 piece (or more) urethane ball out there. It is higher on compression for the 2 piece ionomer ball market, but still on the softer side of the "Tour" balls. You aren't losing distance do to it being soft.

The other reason I'd game the Velocity, its a Titleist. No other OEM makes balls as consistently as they do. The same level of QC that goes into the Pro V1 goes into their Ionomer offerings. 

Nice choice! I probably will never play Velocity. And yes, there are a lot of good deals on balls. I have played the Maxfli Softfli. Right now  I'm liking the Hammer Control in yellow. Seems to fit the bill right now. Been fooling around looking for a ball to play this season. Seems like I have found it. And yes, Titleist QC is over the top.

• Like 1

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

5 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

While I admit that's more than the $15 you pay for 15 rocks at Walmart,  it's worth the $2-3 a round extra to me.  I've got a couple grand tied up in clubs, $45-65 a round each weekend and beers at $6 each after tip so for me the extra $70 per season for a higher performing ball is a no brainer.

For me it was more than $70 a season. I would lose a box in 4 rounds on average. Everytime I buy a box of my next gamer, I send them into ball purgatory..I have given up on anything that costs north of $25 a box. I say a box, because some boxes have 15 balls in them. So, I like the value that some offer on that level. My experience with 2 piece balls is they are not cookie cutter. They all have some attribute built in that makes it different from another ball. Yes, even 2 piece balls! So, I have $400 driver, a fairway @$150, 2 hybrids that were $65 to build, hybrid irons that cost $400 custom, $500 in wedges, and a $130 putter. So, lets see, that makes about $1550. You would think I would play a better ball. Well, been there, done that! I am a high hdcp. golfer, lose more than 1-2 a round sometimes. So, I choose to play a value ball. That $40 a box can get a little pricey after the 3rd box! I also enjoy my game, not stressing about lost balls. 

• Like 2

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Depends on what I am doing. Our course has a strong Srixon presence so I have a lot of various Srixon balls. In fact won another dozen Q Star Tours on a door prize drawing. When it is cooler weather I play the Soft Feels right now it is Q Stars or Z Stars. Now in a little while I am planning to do a dew sweeper round there I will more than likely play some Q or Z Stars from the shag bag or I may play some of the 2 piece Srixon Marathons which I like for a 2 piece ball. 

A lot of the whole ball of wax has to do with ones swing and AOA and the type of clubs one plays no joke. The Soft feels I like in cooler weather but I have to watch them in the wind some. I hit a trap cut by design with blade irons and get a lot of spin off of any ball. In the wind I can get those spinning and can float spin them in the wind especailly with a 7 & 9 woods. Me I have played long enough I can adapt to just about any ball. I am not a Srixon fan boy per say but I have won so many over the last 3 years I basically play them for free. Before joining my current club some 3 years ago now I was playing Vice , Snell or Master Grip C-4 balls. In fact I found 9 brand new C-4s the other day and put them in the vintage bag. Certain holes I do not risk losing some of my prized balata or wound balls. 

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

7 hours ago, drb1956 said:

For me it was more than $70 a season. I would lose a box in 4 rounds on average. Everytime I buy a box of my next gamer, I send them into ball purgatory..I have given up on anything that costs north of $25 a box. I say a box, because some boxes have 15 balls in them. So, I like the value that some offer on that level. My experience with 2 piece balls is they are not cookie cutter. They all have some attribute built in that makes it different from another ball. Yes, even 2 piece balls! So, I have $400 driver, a fairway @$150, 2 hybrids that were $65 to build, hybrid irons that cost $400 custom, $500 in wedges, and a $130 putter. So, lets see, that makes about $1550. You would think I would play a better ball. Well, been there, done that! I am a high hdcp. golfer, lose more than 1-2 a round sometimes. So, I choose to play a value ball. That $40 a box can get a little pricey after the 3rd box! I also enjoy my game, not stressing about lost balls. 

Exactly--- Sometimes on disposable things it pays to be thrifty---- Yes I say on your part that is a smart move

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Exactly--- Sometimes on disposable things it pays to be thrifty---- Yes I say on your part that is a smart move

Ok, so I can't back it up, or it doesn't exactly check, and stop on a dime. That's ok! But, I can get it to check, with rollout. It's playable on that level for me. I am getting good feedback with this ball(Hammer Control), and distance control has been good as late. If I need to stop hard, I try to flight it coming in higher than a normal pitch. Have done a couple of times this year  Had one shot that I needed 68 yards(GPS) to the front. Pin sat back about 3 yards on right side, just off the front, guarded by a bunker. Sand wedge 54*, full swing, came in really high, landed in front of pin maybe 4 feet, bounced forward about 6-7 foot from its pitch mark, putted for par. The guys talked about that shot the rest if the round..So, yeah, I am liking this ball, and the price is easy to take, especially with the 2fer deals...

15 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I'm a high handicap golfer and lose 1-2 balls a round on average and I play tour balls pretty much exclusively.  The performance benefits on distance and spin are well documented and if you plan in advance there really isn't a reason why anyone can't afford tour balls.  I always buy them on sale and I'm willing to stock up when needed.  Currently I'm playing the maxfli tour x and was playing z-star xv before that and I paid under $30 a dozen on average.  

I agree 100%.  Golfers have a bad tendency to look at the cost of the ball they use in a vacum, like it is the only thing which adds to the cost of a round of golf every week. It is not the only thing.  I have done a very long explanation of the math of this, and I will spare everyone the long version.  My point is this  my $1800 Callaway Mavrik Irons (purchased 2019), 4 years and roughly 152 rounds later are still adding $11.84 to every round I play.  To only look at the cost of the ball as the only thing which adds to the $30 a round cost of golf is in error.  If you figure in the cost of everything associated with the cost of a round of golf the actual cost to use a premium ball is negligible.

I will say this.  If you are playing less than 20 rounds of golf in a year, and are going to lose 5 dozen balls in the $15/20, then you can save about $5 a round.  $20 balls save you $2.17 a round on 30 rounds, $25 balls/ $1.34 a round,  $30 balls/ .50 cents a round.   I guess my point is this.  What ball you use is entirely up to you.  The only thing I question is when people point to cost, as a primary reason.  If you like inexpensive great, if you prefer some other ball, and with evaluation as to how you play you determine that another more inexpensive  ball plays better for you given your swing etc, great again. But over 30-40 rounds the actual cost of premium balls losing 5 dozen is not actaully very much, when to take into account everything which adds to the cost of a round. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

Can't argue with the math!! With all that being said, value is good. But, then again, like I have said over so many threads on here, I was not staying in the fairway playing those "better" balls. So, I'm playing what works. Gotta get down the fairway to get to the green...

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:07 PM, drb1956 said:

5 hours ago, drb1956 said:

Can't argue with the math!! With all that being said, value is good. But, then again, like I have said over so many threads on here, I was not staying in the fairway playing those "better" balls. So, I'm playing what works. Gotta get down the fairway to get to the green...

I get what you're saying, but like I mentioned before, with a little planning and a willingness to stock up when they are on sale could have you playing a better ball for $0.75 more a round.  I paid $28 a dozen for the Maxfli tours and bought enough to last me the entire season, possibly longer since I seem to be losing less on average this season than last.

• Like 1

I get it, too! The main reason I don't play a "better"ball, is because I can't keep it in the fairway. I am now playing what is "working" at this time. It just happens to be a 2 piece value ball. I will play this ball for as long as it is working for me. I have had the most enjoyable last 4 rounds of golf I have played in quite a while. This will be "status quo" until I feel it is necessary to make a move to a "better" ball. Been playing since 1998, and I have a good sense of my game. I don't aspire to be a low hdcp. player, I just want it to be enjoyable. I appreciate all the advice, but I am comfortable with my decision. When learning the game in the first few years, I put in a lot of time at the range, and then tried to play every weekend. By my 5th year, I was scoring in the upper 80's-lower 90's, all by playing 2 piece balls. A lot of them, harder than I am playing now. I made them work then. I lost my game along the way, and not playing regularly did not help. Changed equipment, trying different balls, 3 piece included. 110 got to be a regular number for me. Had Golftec look at my swing, and found a fault nobody that I play with saw. I was swaying off the ball. Fixed that, and my game was coming back. All new clubs in the bag in the last 3 years, and now this ball, that is really helping me play better. So, my game is looking up. I am trying to play more, but family stuff comes first. Have tried a handful of "better" balls, old favorites, and now the TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. Sticking with what works, until I think I need to change. Not about money totally, but not going to throw it away either. I'm in the fairway more with this ball than any other as of late. Tour Response was the last 3 piece I tried, and loved it around the green, not so much off the tee. To much spin off the driver, was losing distance, losing balls. So, for now, this is it. TopFlite Hammer Control is my ball!

So, now where were we? 2 piece balls-who is playing them? Why? What do you like about the ball? What don't you like? Not about the deals on better balls! We are talking 2 piece orbs! Gotta be a bunch of us on this site! If you play it, own it! 

... Fun topic! Obviously there is no right or wrong answers BUT if you are looking to get better at this game and are willing to put in the time to improve, you really should be playing a urethane covered tour ball. You can hit every kind of shot with one. Learn to play different trajectories, different spin around the green and make a ball stop on a dime when you need it to and most importantly learn how to completely control your shots. That said, there are plenty of golfers that just want to play golf and enjoy the day.

... Ionomer covers used to be a good tweener bargain with DTC urethane balls costing the same, although the Ionomer is more durable than urethane so there is that to consider.  If you tend to hit trees and cart paths and prefer the durability of a surlyn ball there is certainly nothing wrong with that. If you tend to lose a lot of balls and want the cheapest ones you can lose, nothing wrong with that either. In the end it is your game and your choice. But the one universal piece of advice I would give is play the same ball so you know how your short game will perform. Sure some of you may blade, chunk or have no idea where your chip/pitch is going much of the time but when you do hit one well, you will know you hit a good shot with a lot of roll using a Velocity or a more controlled roll with spin using a Urethane ball. Whether it is a Bridgestone e12, Srixon Q Star or a ProV1 pick one ball and stick with it. 

• Like 3

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

When I used to live in a part of the country where winters are very wet and there are basically no roll in fairways and any ball sit on the soft greens, my preferred winter ball was a Pinnacle Soft Feel.  Back then I used to play of a 4 handicap, but the courses were definitely more forgiving on stray shots than the courses I currently play on. When course conditions are better with firmer greens and fairways I prefer a premium ball.  I do think my friends who always used to play Pro V balls no matter the course conditions of much higher handicaps (14-24) could have done just as well playing 2 piece balls in those super wet conditions. 

• Like 2

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

image.png.5c3f9754d5cea2ff38a7c4b2764675c0.png Apex Edge 2 Iron

default_mizuno-small.jpg.69e225713404a3293d291ed51b42b2ec.jpg MP32 Irons 3 - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:07 PM, drb1956 said:

For me it was more than $70 a season. I would lose a box in 4 rounds on average. 

You must be playing a ton of golf then.  If you play 32 rounds of golf a year and lose a sleeve every round, you need 8 dozen a season.  8 dozen x $5 ea is $40 a year.  Meanwhile you will have spent $1200+ minimum on green fees alone.  

Again, if you're shopping around and buy in bulk when they are on sale, you can find high quality urethane balls for $30/dozen.  

I think the biannual ball test and the ball lab days show pretty clearly that you don't need to drop $50/dozen of ProV1 balls to get a high performing quality tour ball.

And honestly, if you're playing more than 30 rounds a year, it's probably a good idea to cut back and invest more time in lessons and at the range to improve your scores which will in turn drop your ball usage.  Personally, I only have ~5 hours a week to dedicate to golf so I choose to spend those on the course knowing full well that is the reason I've been stuck at a 20 cap forever.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

You must be playing a ton of golf then.  Personally, I only have ~5 hours a week to dedicate to golf so I choose to spend those on the course knowing full well that is the reason I've been stuck at a 20 cap forever.  

Not playing a ton, but have about 8-9 rounds in since early May. More than in prior years. Not going to be doing lessons at this late date in my life(65). I'm a 25+cap and falling...will level out at 20 or so~. So, just going to enjoy what I am doing now. Play when I can...

48 minutes ago, drb1956 said:

Not playing a ton, but have about 8-9 rounds in since early May. More than in prior years. Not going to be doing lessons at this late date in my life(65). I'm a 25+cap and falling...will level out at 20 or so~. So, just going to enjoy what I am doing now. Play when I can...

Never too late to take a couple of lessons.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, drb1956 said:

So, just going to enjoy what I am doing now. Play when I can...

That is all you should do then.  Play the equipment and in the case of this thread the balls that you want to play.  as long as you enjoy playing the game it really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Never too late to take a couple of lessons.

Maybe when I retire, and have more me time. Right now, not so much. I would not have time to dedicate to learning whatever new swing thought, or whatever mechanics I need to change. Right now, I just keep it simple. Have fun! Advance the ball!!

• Like 1

Just now, drb1956 said:

Maybe when I retire, and have more me time. Right now, not so much. I would not have time to dedicate to learning whatever new swing thought, or whatever mechanics I need to change. Right now, I just keep it simple. Have fun! Advance the ball!!

... Well, I'll just throw this out there. You should be able to find an instructor that may be able to show you some bad habits you don't want to engrain. Just be up front first lesson and tell him you aren't interested in dedicating yourself to a new swing and just want to make sure you aren't doing anything detrimental to your future golf. Or of course not and Just Have Fun and Advance the Ball.  😇

• Like 4

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21