TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Thrift Store/Yard Sale Finds

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

You're welcome!

I agree with @BIG STU, I would try Bar Keepers friend and 0000 steel wool. I would just make sure you get the BKF that comes premixed in the squeeze bottle and gently rub with the grain of the steel. You'll also want to use a soft cloth after it dries for a couple of minutes to buff it off. 

I've also heard white vinegar will work. They say you spray it on and let it set for around 5 minutes then clean it off. I've never tried this and don't have a club to experiment on. 

On real rusty clubs I have my own mix---- Real Coca Cola with white vinegar-- Depending on how rusty they are. I let them soak maybe 12 hrs or so pull them out and hit with a green scotchbrite pad rinse off with either PB Blaster or WD 40 and then dry and check. If it needs more then it goes back into soak for whatever time. I brought a set of raw Mack Daddy wedges back from the dead that way. It took like 48 hours and 3 of my cycles but they turned out fine

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

You have a great vintage set there!!!   🤩

Bar Keepers Friend for the irons, hot water and cleanser with a scrub brush for the grips.  Although I think you'll need some luck that the grips haven't got too hard to be recovered.  It is fantastic that the shafts aren't showing rust down by the ferrule.

The woods wouldn't be too difficult to restore if you want to get a nice even black finish.  If you don't care about the color and just want to protect the bare wood you could dip them and the re-whip the neck.

I agree with Stu...those Apex shafts were da bomb back in the day.  As far as I know Hogan wouldn't sell just the shafts.  I knew guys that bought a set of Apex irons just to get the shafts to put in other heads.

That last part is true. My old man did not like Ben Hogan for some reason but never said why. So he never sold Hogan Clubs. Now in our area Macgregor and Spalding clubs with Apex shafts were the Holy Grail. My old man was ordering shafts from a pro friend of his in eastern NC who was a Hogan dealer and having a club shop he knew do the retrofits. Now his opinion was that he did not understand anyone messing up a perfectly good Macgregor club with an inferior shaft. Now the Hogan dealers all got a letter from Mr Hogan himself prohibiting Hogan dealers buying and installing Hogan Shafts in non Hogan clubs. He threatened to pull their franchise. My old mans bud mailed him a copy of the letter and the old man got a chuckle out of it. It did not deter anyone. My old mans friend got cold feet so the guys ordered full sets of irons for the shafts and had a local shop do the conversions. The guy who owned the shop was named Harold Dale and he closed up around the late 90s and passed away. I do not know what ever happended to the shop. I do imagine it was a Hoganista dream no telling how many sets of un hit Hogan irons from all years the heads were there.

I started back doing some MacHogan conversions some time ago and have 2 sets for me done up. I laugh and I am laughing now imagining my old man rolling in his grave at the fact I am doing Mac Hogan conversions

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 9/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Also, is there a way to try to save the original grips? They are pretty slick and I would hate to have to remove them but I also really want to put them in play lol

I've never tried this before, but it's a work-around from a former Canadian tour pro.  Can't imagine it would be harmful and would try it personally if needed.    Hard time linking directly to site so here's the message. 

There are products on the market but I don't bother. Simply, rehydration is restoring lost moisture from natural materials. My method is to do a series of soaks in luke warm water and VERY mild detergent…this removes old oils and damaging salts. (dish soap…not dishwasher detergent).(1) Over the course of 10 days or so put the clubs upside down in a bucket of warm mix and allow to soak for 1/2 hr. Be sure to open the top hole on the grip with a tee or something.(2) Next I soak to rinse in warm water for another 1/2 hr. (3) I will then put the clubs(again upside down) in a corner somewhere and allow to dry for the next 12 to 18 hrs. again be sure that the top hole in the grip is open to allow any water that got in the shaft to drain out.  THIS IS CRITICAL! (4) Repeat for the next week or so and they will absorb most of the lost moisture.  Best with rubber and cords…I don’t do leather wraps this way…to much shrinkage.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

20 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

I've never tried this before, but it's a work-around from a former Canadian tour pro.  Can't imagine it would be harmful and would try it personally if needed.    Hard time linking directly to site so here's the message. 

There are products on the market but I don't bother. Simply, rehydration is restoring lost moisture from natural materials. My method is to do a series of soaks in luke warm water and VERY mild detergent…this removes old oils and damaging salts. (dish soap…not dishwasher detergent).(1) Over the course of 10 days or so put the clubs upside down in a bucket of warm mix and allow to soak for 1/2 hr. Be sure to open the top hole on the grip with a tee or something.(2) Next I soak to rinse in warm water for another 1/2 hr. (3) I will then put the clubs(again upside down) in a corner somewhere and allow to dry for the next 12 to 18 hrs. again be sure that the top hole in the grip is open to allow any water that got in the shaft to drain out.  THIS IS CRITICAL! (4) Repeat for the next week or so and they will absorb most of the lost moisture.  Best with rubber and cords…I don’t do leather wraps this way…to much shrinkage.

Thanks Mac, I have a set of full cords on my old Mizuno MP68's that need this treatment... I'll give it a try.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

My wife just picked up a set of used Callaway junior clubs in like new shape with a bag. My 6 year old daughter was so excited! I bring my two oldest with me often, and now she has her own clubs.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x