Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your opinion - easiest hitting , most forgiving forged irons

Angry Birdies

As the title says - what are the easiest hitting most forgiving forged irons you’ve ever hit? in your experience, what is your opinion? - I know this is a very subjective question - but I’m just looking for your opinion. It can either be a completely forged iron or a hybrid forged iron where the face is forged and the body is another metal. 

Edited by Angry Birdies

Back in the game after a 15 year hiatus and loving every minute of it. 

Mizuno JPX900 Forged IME, but I haven’t hit every forged iron ever made…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Hard becuase it truly is so subjective. Added in to what type of forging and if it is a pieced forging like the i500 the feel isn't that of a forged iron so begs the question why forging matters? Mizuno Hot Metal is likely going to be up there as the most forged, but many found the boron to not feel super forged. Cobra and their Forged Tec would be another one, but again that is piece forged not full body and typically has a "clicky" feeling. Those are the top couple that come to mind, but with companies like Sub70 having new forged options and more there are bound to be others that are "more forgiving" in the end very person dependent. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Hard becuase it truly is so subjective. Added in to what type of forging and if it is a pieced forging like the i500 the feel isn't that of a forged iron so begs the question why forging matters? Mizuno Hot Metal is likely going to be up there as the most forged, but many found the boron to not feel super forged. Cobra and their Forged Tec would be another one, but again that is piece forged not full body and typically has a "clicky" feeling. Those are the top couple that come to mind, but with companies like Sub70 having new forged options and more there are bound to be others that are "more forgiving" in the end very person dependent. 

Forged?

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

Forged?

Yeah I think they still classified the Chromoly as a forging. That is what I mean though you can take about half the irons in the market and they have some sort of "forged" part. A true forged full iron head will always "feel" better then one with just a forged face, but I guess on a technical level they are still both forged clubs. 

Forgiveness again can be so subjective. Forgiveness left to right or front to back or even different flight windows or consistency in spin... or simply overall? Most immediately think left to right, but for me I would be more concerned with front to back and spin. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The JPX921 HM and HMP's are not forged, the other 2 versions are.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Right now I am saying these…

They came in second to my 223’s and were the first iron I’ve ever swung in over 30 years of playing to make me say holy wow, what I just (not) feel…they were so soft. 

1810EADE-87CA-4954-AC0A-207699D17373.webp

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Yeah I think they still classified the Chromoly as a forging. That is what I mean though you can take about half the irons in the market and they have some sort of "forged" part. A true forged full iron head will always "feel" better then one with just a forged face, but I guess on a technical level they are still both forged clubs. 

Forgiveness again can be so subjective. Forgiveness left to right or front to back or even different flight windows or consistency in spin... or simply overall? Most immediately think left to right, but for me I would be more concerned with front to back and spin. 

The JPX900 and JPX921 Forged are both HD grain flow forged. The 900's were boron infused 1025E, the 921's are Chromoly to the 7i, 1025E from 8i thru GW.

8 hours ago, MattF said:

The JPX921 HM and HMP's are not forged, the other 2 versions are.

MattF is correct. Hot Metals are not forged, they are cast - ask Tony. There are several sources online to confirm - though it appears Mizuno is more than happy to let people wonder whether they are forged or cast. Here's what MGS reported...

Here is, to me, the wildest Mizuno sales stat. Despite being known and loved for its forged player’s irons, Mizuno’s two cast models (JPX Hot Metal and JPX Hot Metal Pro) outsell all of its other models combined. 

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-jpx921-irons-and-jpx-fli-hi-hybrids/

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

The ones paired with the right shaft that give you the best overall ball flight.

The weighting, cg placement will play a role and for some certain irons will be more forgiving than others. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A cast on a good match graphite shaft can feel better than any of the scores of Mizu forge on a True Temp gold.  For a while.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

9 hours ago, Survivor740 said:

I am LOVING my Srixon ZX5 set! Not classified as fully forgiving, buuut they run super straight. A miss hit will generate a ~15 yard loss, but always in line. It’s nuts!

They are more in the GI category than players, how are they not classified as fully forgiving?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are more in the GI category than players, how are they not classified as fully forgiving?

The "forgiving" trait is, like so many other aspects of heads and shafts, quite subjective. We've seen lots of discussions about Maltby's "Playability Factor" and clubs with low values playing like those with high values and vice-versa.  I play the ZX5's and place them squarely in the "Player Improvement" category.  Yes, I know, there is no such category... but there should be, and these should be there.  They are, IMO, not as forgiving as the G410's I was playing.

In answer to the OP's question, I would say PING G425 and G700, and the Mizuno JPX HM series.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

29 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In my research they’re kind of in the middle. Small enough to be able to shape the shot, but forgiving enough to lean into the GI category. Of the 10,000 Youtube videos and online reviews I perused before purchasing, they lean more towards a players iron than an GI iron. This is also evidenced in the 15-20 yard drop on mis-hits. Although straight, a GI iron would sit around a 10 yard loss.

“They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken.”

‒ Raymond Flyod

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The "forgiving" trait is, like so many other aspects of heads and shafts, quite subjective. We've seen lots of discussions about Maltby's "Playability Factor" and clubs with low values playing like those with high values and vice-versa.  I play the ZX5's and place them squarely in the "Player Improvement" category.  Yes, I know, there is no such category... but there should be, and these should be there.  They are, IMO, not as forgiving as the G410's I was playing.

In answer to the OP's question, I would say PING G425 and G700, and the Mizuno JPX HM series.  

Explained it much better that I could. Gracias!

‒ Raymond Flyod

For me, the most forgiving easiest to hit forged irons have to be my Titleist 690MBs... 

I have to say that because they are the only forged irons I have hit 😂

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Forgiveness is very subjective and each person determines what forgiveness means to them. Some it’s the ball still goes in the direction as a good shot. Some it’s keeping as much speed as good shots. Some it’s not losing the ball as much offline and keeping distance close.

30 minutes ago, Survivor740 said:

In my research they’re kind of in the middle. Small enough to be able to shape the shot, but forgiving enough to lean into the GI category. Of the 10,000 Youtube videos and online reviews I perused before purchasing, they lean more towards a players iron than an GI iron. This is also evidenced in the 15-20 yard drop on mis-hits. Although straight, a GI iron would sit around a 10 yard loss.

One has to look at what causes the drop off in distance. It’s going to be a large drop on spin and/or launch based on contact point on the face, dynamic loft and to an extent the ball used. These are lower spinning beads that from a design standpoint will spin less than a true players club and more than a gi. 

Having hit the zx5 I can tell you it’s not ~15 yards loss for everyone and I only saw a 5 yard loss for low toe strokes compared to low center or well struck shots.

@fixyurdivottrust me I know where you are coming from and a few others on here also do too. 

We all wanted that extra yardage, more speed, etc. We thought it’s the shaft and I need to find the right shaft. Or the new and shiny driver with shaft X that everyone is raving about and I have similar swing speed to this person so it’s gotta give me that reduced spin and increase my distance.

Once we realized that it’s not the shaft but the swing and how we react to the club that matters more. For me it helped spending time with design teams from cobra, px and UST also helped me realize all that too

2014 TP MCs

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

In my experience, the most forgiving of toe hits is the Callaway Apex DCB.  Of course, it's designed as a large GI iron.  The body is forged.  I don't know if the face is.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Over the years I have hit many forged irons, some felt good but I was never consistent enough to warrant playing them.  The Mizuno MP20 HMB come really close, and if I spend more time with them, I might put them into my bag.  However...

The larger head of the MP20 HMB reminded me of a set of MacGregor Tourney VIP 1025M forged irons I bought used in 2003.  They were a year old at the time and the DG S300 shaft was OK, but marginal for my swing at the time.  I retrieved them from the garage and reshafted them with Nippon Zelos 8 regular flex steel shafts, and I love the way they feel now.  

These Macs are the easiest forged irons to hit IMHO, and they are in my bag now.  The iron is slightly larger than Macs of old; MacGregor moved added weight low and back to make them very forgiving.  I am still adjusting to the weaker lofts; PW is 48º and the 9i is 43º.   I really wish these clubs were still made.

IMG_0577.jpeg.b2ac46e7a193f9e091a4f7aa9c8bb281.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Forgiveness is very subjective and each person determines what forgiveness means to them. Some it’s the ball still goes in the direction as a good shot. Some it’s keeping as much speed as good shots. Some it’s not losing the ball as much offline and keeping distance close.

One has to look at what causes the drop off in distance. It’s going to be a large drop on spin and/or launch based on contact point on the face, dynamic loft and to an extent the ball used. These are lower spinning beads that from a design standpoint will spin less than a true players club and more than a gi. 

Having hit the zx5 I can tell you it’s not ~15 yards loss for everyone and I only saw a 5 yard loss for low toe strokes compared to low center or well struck shots.

Well formulated points. I am a higher handicap player and my personal priority for what is interpreted as forgiveness favors accuracy over distance. You may very well have much less of a pronounced distance drop. Your handicap is lower than mine. But keep in mind that the discussion is geared upon speaking about GI irons. Which, fundamentally, we’re designed for player in my handicap range. Hence, my opinion on the matter also has merit because of my perspective. Ultimately, as @fixyurdivot exclaimed before everything is highly subjective. Your input is well received and appreciated. Mine makes sense too. I certainly hope to get my game to a point where A mid-hit can yield only a ~5 yard drop!

Edited by Survivor740

‒ Raymond Flyod

7 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

In my experience, the most forgiving of toe hits is the Callaway Apex DCB.  Of course, it's designed as a large GI iron.  The body is forged.  I don't know if the face is.

These are the only forged irons I have ever hit as well. Felt amazing though for the 10 minutes or so that I hit them in Golf Galaxy. I just couldn’t justify the price over the Sub70 699/699 Pro combo set.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

5 minutes ago, Survivor740 said:

But keep in mind that the discussion is geared upon speaking about GI irons. Which, fundamentally, we’re designed for player in my handicap range. Hence, my opinion on the matter also has merit because of my perspective.

This is mostly marketing by the manufacturers that imo hurts golfers, so I slightly disagree on what/who the design of GI clubs are for. Let’s start with driver as an example. The g425 max is the most forgiving driver on the market based on moi. But yet guys like Finau and some of the other Ping staffers use it. It’s not designed for them based on the notion it’s a very forgiving driver.

Nelly Korda plays the Titleist TSI1 driver also the most forgiving in Titleist TSI lineup. Designed for the slower speed and higher handicap golfer of which she is neither.

GI irons are designed to help those who have trouble getting the ball in the air. This is typically those who have slower swing speeds. I know several older golfers who are single digit to 12ish handicap that play these types of clubs for this reason. They hit driver between 180-210yards total.

GI irons have a wider sole this is bad for some golfers including high handicaps because of how they deliver the club, just like thin sole clubs can be bad for some golfers including low handicaps because of how they deliver the clubs. 

GI clubs spin less which is bad for golfers who dont generate enough spin. They launch high, bad for golfers of all handicaps that hit a high ball.

Forgivness ultimately comes down to how well the ball stays online and maintains speed and launch conditions on less than good struck shots.

• 1 month later...

Played a lot of sets.  10 HC at the moment. Love my most recent set of Mizzy MX-23s.  

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Not quite sure why the question was being asked in the first place but I will put in my two cents.  I fall into that category of better player who is aging and has a moderate swing speed.  As I've lost speed I've found that I've needed a larger platform (sole) to get the ball airborne so that I went with a GI iron (PIng G30's) for a while.  They were great.  I was selected for the Wilson D7 forged test.  I was afraid that the narrower platform, less loft and offset might pose a problem with my swing but I was also in the target group for the D7 forged so I thought, why not?

They had lots of shaft options to go with their head and my teacher agreed that one would fit me best so that's what I selected.  I was honestly surprised at how well I hit them. I found them more forgiving than my G30's and also than a set of regular D7's (which are clearly in the GI category if not the SGI one) that I picked up along the way.  The D7 forged's are still in my bag with no thoughts that they will be coming out in the near future.  

I don't know what the Op's intent was in starting this thread but if it's to garner info about stuff to try, I would say don't sleep on Wilson.  They have quality offerings at a good price point.  Of course the D7 forged has been replaced with the D9 forged but they are sweet looking clubs.  I have a friend who is a 23 and games whatever Sub 70's forged CB is and those are sweet looking clubs.  They are forgiving enough for him - his issue is with his swing, not with his clubs.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 7/25/2022 at 5:58 AM, Angry Birdies said:

As the title says - what are the easiest hitting most forgiving forged irons you’ve ever hit? in your experience, what is your opinion? - I know this is a very subjective question - but I’m just looking for your opinion. It can either be a completely forged iron or a hybrid forged iron where the face is forged and the body is another metal. 

There are a lot of great forged irons out there, and it really depends on what you're looking for in terms of forgiveness and ease of hitting. For me, some of the best forged irons I've hit are the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged and the Callaway Apex 19. Both of these clubs offer great forgiveness and are very easy to hit. If you're looking for a hybrid forged iron, the TaylorMade P790 is a great option. It has a forged face and a steel body, and it's extremely forgiving and easy to hit. Whichever club you choose, make sure you get fitted by a professional so you can get the best possible experience.

Edited by Buraqoo21

Jim

I won't bore you with the deets but my vote is the ZX5. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

No Mizuno Hot Metal or Hot Metal Pro irons have ever been forged.  They have cast clubheads.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!