Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your opinion - easiest hitting , most forgiving forged irons

Angry Birdies

Bridgestone J40's.  Feel great, nice natural soft-draw flight, good-confidence-inspiring forgiveness.  I'm a fan.

Edited by vamosjackets

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

I don't have a lot of exper but 4 years ago I got fitted for an 8 9 wedge in a forged.  I was hoping the fitter would put me into Mizuno with their GFF process but I got Ping I 500.  Now I know it is not a total forge, it is a forged face welded to a cast highly engineered body.  I love them, in between injuries.  I added a 6 iron a year later ( I have a Apex 7 iron that works)  and might add a 4 or 5 if I start playing more.  I am in S Diego, just a fw miles from the HQ of Callaway, Cobra, TM, Titleist, and Honma, and Torrey Pines, so my fitter location is au courant as they say in French.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled on this thread.

Some of the answers are, to be kind, puzzling. I don’t know if it’s an effort to impress people or not, but as often happens in these type of threads people answer based on the most forgiving club THEY like to play, instead of answering the question asked.

As far as the most forgiving irons out there now, it’s not a complicated question. You look at either Game Improvement or distance  models such as the Apex DCB, the PXG 0311 XP or a club like the Wilson D7 Forged.

Let’s get real here. Nobody looking for the most forgiving iron is playing a TC anything, nor a MB. 

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

Being a Titleist guy, and one who does not have the game for a forged iron.  I cannot go on experience.  But based on what I have read and heard from the experts, I would say that Mizuno makes a very very good iron.  I wish I had the game to hit them.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

would like to hear back now from the author   angry birdies   to find out what you've done so far.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

• 1 month later...

I have been a cast iron player for decades, always told myself I wanted to forgiveness over feel.  But I recently pulled the trigger and bought the TaylorMade P790s (2021 version) and took them out for the first time today.  Wow, what a different feel - I couldn't be happier with the performance and the feel was phenomenal.  So, in my limited experience with forged clubs (previously owned JPX900 Hot Metal, but I didn't consider having a forged face to be a forged club), the 2021 Taylormade P790's were amazing combination of feel, distance and forgiveness.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

On 9/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, revkev said:

Not quite sure why the question was being asked in the first place but I will put in my two cents.  I fall into that category of better player who is aging and has a moderate swing speed.  As I've lost speed I've found that I've needed a larger platform (sole) to get the ball airborne so that I went with a GI iron (PIng G30's) for a while.  They were great.  I was selected for the Wilson D7 forged test.  I was afraid that the narrower platform, less loft and offset might pose a problem with my swing but I was also in the target group for the D7 forged so I thought, why not?

They had lots of shaft options to go with their head and my teacher agreed that one would fit me best so that's what I selected.  I was honestly surprised at how well I hit them. I found them more forgiving than my G30's and also than a set of regular D7's (which are clearly in the GI category if not the SGI one) that I picked up along the way.  The D7 forged's are still in my bag with no thoughts that they will be coming out in the near future.  

I don't know what the Op's intent was in starting this thread but if it's to garner info about stuff to try, I would say don't sleep on Wilson.  They have quality offerings at a good price point.  Of course the D7 forged has been replaced with the D9 forged but they are sweet looking clubs.  I have a friend who is a 23 and games whatever Sub 70's forged CB is and those are sweet looking clubs.  They are forgiving enough for him - his issue is with his swing, not with his clubs.

That’s interesting.  I keep reading comments about Wilson and have really never considered them.  I’ve been playing G15s since 2009 and in the market, liking Miz and Titliest a lot.  In the last 4 years through a lot of reading and study of the golf swing, a few lessons, and countless hours on the range, I’ve improved from a mid 20ish hdcp to 11-12.  All with the G15s.   And all of the improvement post turning 65.  I Still get mis hits, sometimes more, sometimes less.   I think I will look at the Wilson line and give them consideration. 

While on the topic of GI and forgiveness, etc - as I was improving, I adopted another GI concept.   I used to get so frustrated with mishits, things would build up inside.  I now invoke a 15 second rule - mishits are going to happen, so after 15 seconds I forgive myself and just focus on the next shot. Now, I rarely get a triple, rarely hit 2 bad shots in a row, and accept a potential bogey. I also hit reset at each tee.  Sorry for digressing.  As Yogi once said something like this - its 75% physical, and the other half is mental.

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I play Callaway APEX and would rank these high in forgiveness for players distance/forged iron. Misses low on the face get good distance. They are more forgiving than the i500 and p790 when I tried those a few years back. Switched from Ping G410 and find no problem with the smaller club heads. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I'm playing the Sub70  TAIII forged raw irons.      The reason is for the consistent distance even with when I mishit the ball.   I know my distances and they inspire confidence at address.    An added plus with the raw finish is that my set is unique with its finish. 

If you shank a ball it doesn't matter what type of club you are playing.    

:Sub70:  849D 10.5* UST PROFORCE v2 Black, 939X Hybrid 3H Aerotech SteelFiber Hybrid HLS 780

:taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX USA EDITION for winning the 2021 Ryder Cup contest sponsored by Taylormade and MGS  

:Hogan:  GS53Max 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5 ,  GS53 Fairway 4W HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5,   VKTR+Hybrid 18* 

:titelist-small:  975D 9.5* ,  975F  3-w , 5-w 

:Sub70:   699 Pro Utility Black 19.5*

:Sub70:   TAIII  RAW 4-AW , True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R) 

:benhogan-small:  ICON Black  4- PW , with SteelFiber i80 (R) shafts

:benhogan-small:  Wedges Equalizer II  50*, 54*, 56*,  58*, 60*  , UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)

:Sub70:  005 Wide Blade putter - with :garsen: Max 17"

:Sub70:  002 Mid Mallet putter - with :garsen:  Max 17"

:Arccos: Smoke Sensors (GEN 3+) ,  Link (GEN 2) 

old clubs

:wilson_staff_small:   Wilson Dyna-Power II  3-PW,  R90 Sand iron