3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

If true, that is truly a shame. I had Edge irons back in the early 2000s and I now have PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges. If they have some massive sale I might buy the icons as well...

I guess this means I will have to switch my DTC allegiance over to Sub 70 (which is also a great company). 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

If not for forum posts, I wouldn't have known they were still around. I've seen no messaging or marketing from them in ages.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

No surprise. They have been a small dtc brand with very little eyeballs on them outside of golf forums.

They did the samething a handful of years back then changed their business model a bit.

Just shows how hard it is for small businesses running a somewhat niche business with little to no marketing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

37 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

If not for forum posts, I wouldn't have known they were still around. I've seen no messaging or marketing from them in ages.

Now I swear I saw some advertising on the GC this weekend for them. In fact I get a chuckle of the picture they showed of Mr Hogan cleaned up for todays PC world. The original had him with a cigarette in his hand. I told my wife and then showed her the original in one of my books. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

If true, that is truly a shame. I had Edge irons back in the early 2000s and I now have PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges. If they have some massive sale I might buy the icons as well...

I guess this means I will have to switch my DTC allegiance over to Sub 70 (which is also a great company). 

My bud up in Charlotte who is a Pro at a course is on the SUB 70 bandwagon. He has some kind of deal going with them but he is like our esteemed fellow MGSer Tom The Golf Nut he loves them. He was under the impression I was still playing comp and wanted to see about me hooking up with them. I told him that ship had sailed that now days I do good to just play. Like I told Tom when he was here and we played if I were going the modern route those would be ones I would strongly consider.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

21 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Now I swear I saw some advertising on the GC this weekend for them. In fact I get a chuckle of the picture they showed of Mr Hogan cleaned up for todays PC world. The original had him with a cigarette in his hand. I told my wife and then showed her the original in one of my books. 

Cigarettes have not been able to be shown in TV ads since the Nixon administration. Yeah, cleaned up for the PC world indeed. If only they had shown him smoking maybe they'd still be in business 🙄

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

37 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

No surprise. They have been a small dtc brand with very little eyeballs on them outside of golf forums.

They did the samething a handful of years back then changed their business model a bit.

Just shows how hard it is for small businesses running a somewhat niche business with little to no marketing 

Yeah now days you got to have massive exposure on marketing sorta like PXG. Saw their new aggressive marketing on their new forged wedges. To me it is a hoot funny as heck. But you gotta admit his commercials bring attention.

Noticed something else this weekend. Wilson Staff does not have a lot of players on the PGAT but they darn sure have presence on the other side of the pond. They have several DP Tour players besides Padrig and quite a few lady players on the LET too.

But as you mentioned Hogan has some stiff competition even among us folks on golf sites with companies like Sub 70 , Edel and a lot of JDM stuff. I doubt in todays market even with a remake of the iconic Endo forged 99 Apex they could do any better without aggressive promotion. 

G

3 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Cigarettes have not been able to be shown in TV ads since the Nixon administration. Yeah, cleaned up for the PC world indeed. If only they had shown him smoking maybe they'd still be in business 🙄

Do not get me started they still show beer and liquor ads and that has killed more people from disease and auto accidents than cigarettes ever did. LOL the other day in the Senior Open they showed Jimenz taking a big puff off a stogie while he was on a tee. I laughed and told my wife that was from more than likely a Sky Sports or BBC feed. I laughed at the thought of the NBC/GC lawyers circling the wagons on that one. I can see some of the PC snowflakes now "OMG did you see that?" and calling in to the GC or the FCC to complain

G

28 minutes ago, jlukes said:

They make good irons, but the Ben Hogan name doesn’t really carry any weight with the younger generations and their marketing or lack thereof has been questionable at best. 

Brands like Sub70 seem to have a much better approach in the DTC space

Pretty much the same issue Wilson Staff has.  Even thought it's part of a Mega Sports company, anything releated to Wilson and golf, just doesn't resonate with golfers below the age of say 50 or 60.   

Probably the reason I can't seem to even get a bite on a brand new set of D9 Forged listed for sale.  As good of looking iron as just about any other in the players distance category.  But zero street cred with todays golfers.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pretty much the same issue Wilson Staff has.  Even thought it's part of a Mega Sports company, anything releated to Wilson and golf, just doesn't resonate with golfers below the age of say 50 or 60.   

Probably the reason I can't seem to even get a bite on a brand new set of D9 Forged listed for sale.  As good of looking iron as just about any other in the players distance category.  But zero street cred with todays golfers.

And if you ask some people what brand over the years has won more majors they would say Callaway or TM etc. Even a confirmed etched Macgregor man knows and admits the answer is Wilson🙄

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

And if you ask some people what brand over the years has won more majors they would say Callaway or TM etc. Even a confirmed etched Macgregor man knows and admits the answer is Wilson🙄

As usual, you are 100% spot on sir! 

21 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yeah now days you got to have massive exposure on marketing sorta like PXG. Saw their new aggressive marketing on their new forged wedges. To me it is a hoot funny as heck. But you gotta admit his commercials bring attention.

Noticed something else this weekend. Wilson Staff does not have a lot of players on the PGAT but they darn sure have presence on the other side of the pond. They have several DP Tour players besides Padrig and quite a few lady players on the LET too.

But as you mentioned Hogan has some stiff competition even among us folks on golf sites with companies like Sub 70 , Edel and a lot of JDM stuff. I doubt in todays market even with a remake of the iconic Endo forged 99 Apex they could do any better without aggressive promotion. 

Yeah they have spent more overseas where their brand has more recognition and not associated with the box sets you get in Walmart or other places.

Their biggest names on the PGA just don’t have any type of success to have their bags shown on tv on the weekend. 

They got some good coverage this weekend with Paddy and Schubert

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

If true, that's a bummer considering the PTx Pros are really, really good. I don't see them leaving my bag anytime soon. Easiest to hit long irons I've ever had.

That being said, sure, I can see why they didn't make it. Very few options available and nearly impossible to be fit for or customize without spending Club Champion-level money.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I hope it isn't a death knell for other similar companies (smaller DTCs) like Haywood and New Level (though New Level has some exposure through Stephen Alker, if that is worth much). It seems like someone needs to be into golf enough to know about these companies but then also trust their build quality and, in many cases, not be able to be fit into these clubs (though they do offer demo programs). I, personally, will continue to look at DTCs for irons but I can't say I am all the way there for things like Drivers, for whatever reason. Maybe it is the marketing hype. In any event, this makes my Hogans a bit more valuable to me and hopefully I can keep them for a long time (i.e. keeping the urge to buy new clubs at bay). 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Not much else to say, the golf equipment business is ruthless.  

When Nike cannot compete you have to look deeper and understand most golfers suffer from a strong desirability bias when selecting brands.

Why play the Wilson clubs when I can have a Titleist or Callaway for just $50 more.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Not much else to say, the golf equipment business is ruthless.  

When Nike cannot compete you have to look deeper and understand most golfers suffer from a strong desirability bias when selecting brands.

Why play the Wilson clubs when I can have a Titleist or Callaway for just $50 more.

Nike is an interesting story. They were doing fine. They had roughly 4% of the market share when they dropped out of the business. But like with pretty much everything they do they marketed athletes and not equipment. It shows that just using an athlete can only net you so much as well as seeing the equipment on tv which thur got lots of exposure with due to Rory, Tiger, Wie, Koepka.

Iirc part of their reasoning for getting out was following the rest of the company and getting out of the hard good business. They dumped hockey, baseball/softball, whatever other equipment they had and were focused on shoes and apparel. Golf was the last piece or one of the last pieces to go.

27 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Also an interesting topic. Brands like Wilson, cobra (because of their acushnet days) and Cleveland all have some association with being cheap. Or for Cleveland mode so known for their wedges.

Brand perception is huge. Another forum always has their “one word” to describe a brand threads. The biases for brands are easy to see in those threads. As an example Titleist has the snobby and good player perception. Callaway has a rep for innovation, tm for marketing. 

This has an impact on what people play. Even today you may go places and people never heard of pxg. Some have never hit one of their clubs in their lives but based purely off their feelings about the owner whether it’s his voice, his attitude or whatever they label the brand in various negative ways.

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Cigarettes have not been able to be shown in TV ads since the Nixon administration.

... Soap Box Warning! What really pi$$es me off is the tobacco industry pays a fortune for actors to smoke in films. Is a teenager going to be more influenced by a TV/Print AD or a cool character smoking in a film? For transparency I have never taken a single puff in my life and when I was 10 my Mom started smoking. I refused to talk to her and after a week she quit but was pretty mad at me. She is in her mid 90's and just yesterday she thanked me again for stopping her before she could get started. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I currently game the Ben Hogan Icon blades (4-PW) and these are terrific irons.  Great feel when struck on the sweetspot.  Great feedback but not as good as the 1998 Apex Blades or previous generations.  I am not looking to replace these anytime soon.  Too bad the Ben Hogan brand isn't more prominent in the golfing world today.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Hmm.  Where is your D9 listing?  

Many thanks,

BackNine29

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Linksoul The Hawk Midnight Navy | TRENDYGOLFUSA.COM

Had to have this shirt a couple years ago.  You're never as cool as Hogan, lighting one smoke off another...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

13 minutes ago, BackNine29 said:

Hmm.  Where is your D9 listing?  

Where in the original post does it note the company is going or is out of business? 
What I did see was an issue - technical difficulties - engineers working on the site and to check back.

Where in that does it state the Ben Hogan Company has closed? 

It would however be a fitting day as this is the anniversary of Mr. Hogans death. 

I was so proud of my Hogan Directors irons with Equalizer wedge with the black Speed Slot woods mid-80’s after playing with knock offs when I first started to love golf. (Still have the set)

We all know nothing is forever in the golf business so very sorry if they shut down.  

Damn, Love my Fort Worth Blacks and PTx Pros. 

Outperformed my original p770s handily. Made the switch from the p770s to Fort Worths in 2019 and haven't gone back. 

Wanted to get my hands on the Icons also but they don't look as good as the fort Worths to me and the 4iron was chunky vs the Fort Worth 4iron

I still got the first gen equalizer wedges and was gonna try the equalizer II but guess I'll give Edison a try now 

Edited by Jaygord