TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ben Hogan Closes its doors

MattF

Perry Ellis owns Ben Hogan Golf Company and they are closing the golf club division from what I have read.  The company has been sold many times since Mr Hogan's death and it could happen again.  It seems that is just not a demand any longer for direct sales of their clubs.   It has been a good run for them.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Truly a shame.  The quality of the product was excellent, pricing and delivery were also exceptional.  Their financials were strong and the  company was definitely growing.  Disappointing to see no one come in at the 11th hour and scoop them up.  Perry Ellis makes of bargain basement cheap clothing should be barred from using the legendary Ben Hogan name!!

14 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Hey Tucker, I don't want to hijack the thread too much but I would love to hear more about your experience with the TAIIIs. You should do an unofficial review or even just a thread about them.

They are on my short list for my next set, along with the Maltby TS3s or TS4s that are due to come out in the next year

@MyWifesSwingCoachI was planning on doing a how did I get here thread as both Ben Hogan and Sub 70 are part of the story as I used their demo clubs to select my final sets.   I have a thread over in the Tour Talk - Golf Spies in Competition My senior amateur tour journey

I'll see if I can find time to write up my club selection journey 

:Sub70:  849D 10.5* UST PROFORCE v2 Black, 939X Hybrid 3H Aerotech SteelFiber Hybrid HLS 780

:taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX USA EDITION for winning the 2021 Ryder Cup contest sponsored by Taylormade and MGS  

:Hogan:  GS53Max 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5 ,  GS53 Fairway 4W HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5,   VKTR+Hybrid 18* 

:titelist-small:  975D 9.5* ,  975F  3-w , 5-w 

:Sub70:   699 Pro Utility Black 19.5*

:Sub70:   TAIII  RAW 4-AW , True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R) 

:benhogan-small:  ICON Black  4- PW , with SteelFiber i80 (R) shafts

:benhogan-small:  Wedges Equalizer II  50*, 54*, 56*,  58*, 60*  , UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)

:Sub70:  005 Wide Blade putter - with :garsen: Max 17"

:Sub70:  002 Mid Mallet putter - with :garsen:  Max 17"

:Arccos: Smoke Sensors (GEN 3+) ,  Link (GEN 2) 

old clubs

:wilson_staff_small:   Wilson Dyna-Power II  3-PW,  R90 Sand iron

12 hours ago, chisag said:

... It is amazing how inept TV is when it comes to ads. These ads are already paid for and in the que to run, so they run them. Also a chance it was a mistake. There just isn't any checks and balances to see if ads are still relevant. 

I figured you would know since you were in the acting and commercial trades. Thanks makes perfectly good sense to me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

18 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

You might need that money to fill up your gas tank haha

But GolfWorks offers an iron set in a DBM finish just an fyi

image.png.00356b3564e420c93fa9bbaf948082af.png

From what I have read and seen those are great heads nothing but positive reviews on  them. Maltby does make quality stuff. Actually if I did not have so much stuff I would have pulled the trigger on them a while back

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/26/2022 at 2:10 PM, hartrick11 said:

When I hit the $800mm mega millions jackpot I will go ahead and buy the company. After all, someone needs to carry the torch offering the beautiful and indestructible DBM finish 😆

I volunteer for the design team, we'll put all the pretenders out of business once and for all.  Our Hogan clubs will be perfect just like Ben wanted.  Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

2 hours ago, MacTourney said:

I volunteer for the design team, we'll put all the pretenders out of business once and for all.  Our Hogan clubs will be perfect just like Ben wanted.  Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

As long as we can make some quality forged Macgregor blades too

G

21 hours ago, chisag said:

... It is amazing how inept TV is when it comes to ads. These ads are already paid for and in the que to run, so they run them. Also a chance it was a mistake. There just isn't any checks and balances to see if ads are still relevant. 

There aren't any checks and balances to see if ads are not annoying, irritating, or downright obnoxious either... or maybe... just maybe I'm not the target audience anymore.  🥴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

32 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

There aren't any checks and balances to see if ads are not annoying, irritating, or downright obnoxious either... or maybe... just maybe I'm not the target audience anymore.  🥴

... I know you joke but the amount of research and focus groups used to decide what and where ads are most effective is pretty mind boggling. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Oh for sure, sweet blades along with the iconic dark green and white staff bag.  Been looking for that bag in good condition for a while now.   Ad poster:  Winged T v. PXG......lol!

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Let’s put the 1025M back on the market…so so nice…

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 7/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pretty much the same issue Wilson Staff has.  Even thought it's part of a Mega Sports company, anything releated to Wilson and golf, just doesn't resonate with golfers below the age of say 50 or 60.   

Probably the reason I can't seem to even get a bite on a brand new set of D9 Forged listed for sale.  As good of looking iron as just about any other in the players distance category.  But zero street cred with todays golfers.

Well if you were so inclined and needed space in your home, I can think of a friend who might have room to store those D9 forged irons for a while. 🙂

It is funny that you would bring this up.  All I could think of when I saw the Hogan article was, "Will Wilson be next?"  Three of my last four iron sets have been Wilsons.  Great value each one of them.  I will be very sad if they bite the bullet but it is really hard to compete.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Perry Ellis owns Ben Hogan Golf Company and they are closing the golf club division from what I have read.  The company has been sold many times since Mr Hogan's death and it could happen again.  It seems that is just not a demand any longer for direct sales of their clubs.   It has been a good run for them.    

I get that business is business.. but isn't that like Nike closing their shoe division? I mean when I think of the Ben Hogan company, I only really think of the clubs. 

The Walmart shorts are more something I remember seeing in passing and said to myself "hm.. who knew? 🤔

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

26 minutes ago, revkev said:

Well if you were so inclined and needed space in your home, I can think of a friend who might have room to store those D9 forged irons for a while. 🙂

It is funny that you would bring this up.  All I could think of when I saw the Hogan article was, "Will Wilson be next?"  Three of my last four iron sets have been Wilsons.  Great value each one of them.  I will be very sad if they bite the bullet but it is really hard to compete.

The larger business is definitely a help for the golf division. I could see at some point the golf division either closing or being sold. Outside of the irons which I hardly ever see in the wild their clubs haven’t been good. I’ve seen more pxg clubs in the wild than Wilson 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

32 minutes ago, revkev said:

All I could think of when I saw the Hogan article was, "Will Wilson be next?"  Three of my last four iron sets have been Wilsons.  Great value each one of them.  I will be very sad if they bite the bullet but it is really hard to compete.

... When I was on staff with Wilson and did several video's for them I got to meet the CEO and we talked quite a bit. While things change, especially when it comes to business decisions, I can tell you Wilson felt like golf was a cornerstone of their brand. Companies hold on to branding even when that part might lose money. Again this is quite a few years ago but they were really struggling back then after going Fat Shaft and the discount route but they said they would never give up golf equipment because it is part of the Wilson DNA. Fingers crossed they still feel the same.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I wonder what they do for customers whose sticks were in-process of being built?  Did they finish or refund all pre-paid orders then close the doors?  Imagine your coveted set of Hogan's sitting in the now silent shop 😢.  The aforementioned idea of Callaway buying Hogan (the rest of it) and releasing a model or two, or three every few years would be great.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Do like my buddy Earl The Pearl does with Eye2s buy every one he sees even individual clubs. His club room looks like a 80s Ping warehouse---- Of course I can not lie to a "man of the cloth" I basically do the same thing on Macgregor blades. I am 65 now and if the Lord blesses me to 85 and still be able to play I have enough stuff to last me

G

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I wonder what they do for customers whose sticks were in-process of being built?  Did they finish or refund all pre-paid orders then close the doors?  Imagine your coveted set of Hogan's sitting in the now silent shop 😢.  The aforementioned idea of Callaway buying Hogan (the rest of it) and releasing a model or two, or three every few years would be great.  

Ohh please the humanity Callaway had their chance with Hogan one time and messed that up. Stripped the company but kept the Iconic Apex name. Turns my stomach every time I see a Callaway shovel marked "Apex". I had a set of Callaway "Apex" shovels in the shop courtesy of my late friend Bear. We traded or something do not know exactly how I got them. A guy I know plays those things. He was wanting a set for his son and called me. I told him I have a set kinda rough as a night in the county jail but he could get them for the right price as in free. Come get them out of my way. He felt bad about that and did give me $50. IMHO they were junk with the XP-95 shafts. Bear as SOP for him had put on a brand new set of Tour Wraps and had that guy not been looking for a set I was going to pull the grips and scrap the irons

Sorry got up on the soapbox this morning but Callaway Apex affects me like that

Edited by BIG STU

G

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... I know you joke but the amount of research and focus groups used to decide what and where ads are most effective is pretty mind boggling. 

Insurance commercials are amusing to me these days mainly between Liberty Mutual . Progressive and Geico. The latest Liberty Mutual ones with the Minions cracks me up. Flo and the Progressive bunch does not do anything but make me wonder about the future of mankind. Now the little Geico lizard I like him have several dozen of his brothers and sisters in and around the property including the shop. The one in the shop is darn near tame sits on the top shelf and watches me work. Of course I am sure he knows I would not do anything to hurt him

G

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:
15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The larger business is definitely a help for the golf division. I could see at some point the golf division either closing or being sold. Outside of the irons which I hardly ever see in the wild their clubs haven’t been good. I’ve seen more pxg clubs in the wild than Wilson 

Beyond a doubt this is true.  I don’t recall the last time that I saw a Wilson club in a bag other than when playing with a MGSper 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 7/25/2022 at 7:12 PM, STACKS said:

Just tried the website https://benhogangolf.com/ and everything is working 

Do they have more than one location?

An ad showed up on golf channel Thursday night....I guess it was prepaid...

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

9 hours ago, TitleistMike said:

An ad showed up on golf channel Thursday night....I guess it was prepaid...

According to some on here in the know they more than likely pre paid the ads and they are on the stream so they are running still

G

On 7/29/2022 at 12:08 AM, BIG STU said:

Insurance commercials are amusing to me these days mainly between Liberty Mutual . Progressive and Geico. The latest Liberty Mutual ones with the Minions cracks me up. Flo and the Progressive bunch does not do anything but make me wonder about the future of mankind. Now the little Geico lizard I like him have several dozen of his brothers and sisters in and around the property including the shop. The one in the shop is darn near tame sits on the top shelf and watches me work. Of course I am sure he knows I would not do anything to hurt him

Do they all have Australian accents?

On 7/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, bens197 said:

Not much else to say, the golf equipment business is ruthless.  

When Nike cannot compete you have to look deeper and understand most golfers suffer from a strong desirability bias when selecting brands.

Why play the Wilson clubs when I can have a Titleist or Callaway for just $50 more.

Depends on how you look at it---- If you hit the Titleist of or Cally better then go for it--- If you hit the Wilsons better then go for it and save $50-- And yes I guess even though I am brand agnostic I do prefer my old blades and I will admit that is a desirability bias with me

G

43 minutes ago, rd1959 said:

After reading the article, IMO, the first kiss of death came when they sold out to AMF. That company seems to have a knack for ruining or almost ruining storied names from the past. They almost completely killed Harley Davidson.

You know that is funny and you know about the AMF Harleys and I presume you know what AMF in the biker world stands for------- What is funny 3 of my best Harleys were AMF---- 75 Sportster---- 76 FLH and a 81 FLHS----- Those were my best 3 but then again I know guys who had lots of trouble with the AMF era Harleys--- And yes you are correct though they darn near killed HD if not for Willie G and the investors buying it when they did it would have went down the tubes

G

43 minutes ago, rd1959 said:

Do they all have Australian accents?

Naaw nice pets stay out of the way and stay silent

G

On 7/29/2022 at 7:28 AM, revkev said:

I have one guy at my club who plays WS cavity backs and he is a pretty good stick from the super senior green tees. Another member who works for PGASS and is also a good stick plays one of the newer milled 8802s and weilds it pretty good if you ask me. And MGSer John Smalls plays them I think he tested them for MGS

G