TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ben Hogan Closes its doors

MattF

12 hours ago, rd1959 said:

Do they all have Australian accents?

They wouldn't because that gecko has an English one.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Depends on how you look at it---- If you hit the Titleist of or Cally better then go for it--- If you hit the Wilsons better then go for it and save $50-- And yes I guess even though I am brand agnostic I do prefer my old blades and I will admit that is a desirability bias with me

I suspect even "brand agnostic's" have bias... and that's okay.  I looked at some make/model cars that were better on paper than our Expedition Max but they just did not fit my eye.  I know some on here thought for certain I'd choose the G425's over the ZX5's, and probably would have lost money on that bet.  Must say that I'm kind of proud of myself on that one 😊 

Then there is the nostalgia side for some of us.  I like and fish more vintage (at least by today's standards) fly rods and reels simply because they are simple in design, built like proverbial you-know-what's, and I connect with them having grown up with them.  Might a decision cost me a couple mpg, or strokes, of even a fish (oh the horror of it 😱)... maybe, but I like what I like.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I suspect even "brand agnostic's" have bias... and that's okay.  I looked at some make/model cars that were better on paper than our Expedition Max but they just did not fit my eye.  I know some on here thought for certain I'd choose the G425's over the ZX5's, and probably would have lost money on that bet.  Must say that I'm kind of proud of myself on that one 😊 

Then there is the nostalgia side for some of us.  I like and fish more vintage (at least by today's standards) fly rods and reels simply because they are simple in design, built like proverbial you-know-what's, and I connect with them having grown up with them.  Might a decision cost me a couple mpg, or strokes, of even a fish (oh the horror of it 😱)... maybe, but I like what I like.

Yep we understand each other perfectly you on the fishing and me on the golf end. I do not know much on fishing even though my neighbor owns a local bait and tackle store. But I do see a lot of nice fishing equipment out here. I kinda compair it to you catching the biggest fish on a 60s Zebco 202 reel and a K-Mart rod to me kicking butt with 40 and 50 year old clubs. As you do I like doing things my way. Life is too short not to do as one pleases. I will say on the fishing end I like looking at older rods and reels and love looking at old hand tied fishing flies. Just like I can peck on a guitar some but can not read a note of music. I like looking at old guitars at the real wood etc sorta like looking at a Persimmon driver

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, edingc said:

If true, that's a bummer considering the PTx Pros are really, really good. I don't see them leaving my bag anytime soon. Easiest to hit long irons I've ever had.

That being said, sure, I can see why they didn't make it. Very few options available and nearly impossible to be fit for or customize without spending Club Champion-level money.

I still have my set of PTx Pros. Loved the feel of them, then I just couldn't swing the shafts any more with consistency. Maybe I'll get them re-shafted and see what I get.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I'm not shocked a DTC company went down but I didn't expect this company to be the first. I find it interesting Perry Ellis owns the Ben Hogan brand as I always thought it was owned by Callaway but that might explain why it seems there has always been a Ben Hogan clothing line. 

If the company that made Ben Hogan clubs couldn't find new investors, I suspect there are maybe a few other DTC brands that are shaking a little. DTC margins are thin and building market share in golf is exceedingly expensive. As much as everyone on the forums love DTC companies, it wouldn't surprise me if we are met with news of any one of them closing down shop. 

I always kind of use Maltby and the Hireko Golf brands as a measuring stick for DTC companies. I would say that companies like Sub70 and even Ben Hogan (or whatever the actual company was) put more effort into designing a better looking club. They charged more than Maltby and Hireko, so I've always assumed they had a decent margin above manufacturing costs but I was never sure if there was enough margin to cover SG&A expenses. It sounds like the Ben Hogan company maybe made enough to break-even or be close but I don't know. It's probably tough to find new investors when most of your product line is getting a little old by golf industry standards. Ultimately, I've always imagined that only one, maybe two, DTC companies would survive. If the Ben Hogan company couldn't make it after the strongest resurgence in golf in over two decades, I'm not as convinced of the health of other DTC companies. 

I was demoing some Ben Hogans and sent them back with the included return shipping label just before the news hit.  Was a shame, because I was close to pulling the trigger on a blended PTxPro/Icon set.  Even with my high handicap, I hit them incredibly well.  

Low and behold, the FedEx guy brought the package back to me today - returned, undeliverable.  

So I guess I bought a UiHi 4 Iron, an Edge Ex 7 iron, a PTx Pro 7 iron, and a 56 degree wedge for the $25 trial fee?

Driver:ping-small: G410 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 55 R
Wood:ping-small: G425 Max 5W - Alta CB R
Irons:taylormade-small: 4-AW - VeloxT 65 R
Wedges:  image.png.e43cb1d782ed388d90a6cdfd7e55cb7c.png Equalizer II 56, :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 60-11
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Crimson Series 550
Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1x

@Will AIf you don't like that UiHi 4 iron and it is in a stiff shaft...we should talk

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

6 minutes ago, vandyland said:

@Will AIf you don't like that UiHi 4 iron and it is in a stiff shaft...we should talk

It's got a Recoil 780 ES F4 (S) on it.  I'm thinking I'm going to seek out a PTx Pro (possibly Icon scoring irons) set on the secondary market.  But if what I find already has a 4-iron, I'll reach back out to you.

Driver:ping-small: G410 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 55 R
Wood:ping-small: G425 Max 5W - Alta CB R
Irons:taylormade-small: 4-AW - VeloxT 65 R
Wedges:  image.png.e43cb1d782ed388d90a6cdfd7e55cb7c.png Equalizer II 56, :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 60-11
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Crimson Series 550
Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Yeh this sux!  Been a Hogan iron player nearly my whole life.  58 yrs old, bought the FT.Worth black irons three years ago and still love them!  I like the feel better than the ICON I tested last year.  I have had Hogan Red Line, Mizunos, Cleveland TA, Titleist MB….. Hogans my fave feel, although I must say the Titleist is a close second.  

I’m still gaming the Ptx because I love the feel, and the 4* loft difference between irons is terrific.

That said, the Titleist T300 irons I won in the US Open Pool will be at my doorstep by the end of day.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I’m curious, what happens to the IP and dyes? Do the designs just get tossed, or is someone likely to buy them up and put them out there under a different name?

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

Sad that Hogan brand closed.  Callaway bot the Sure-Out sand wedge many years ago and has modified it a bit.  Compare the company history to Karsten Solheim, an engineer genius without even an actual engineering degree. The book "Karsten's Way" is a great history of how he built up a business and designed new clubs.  He was rare, he had a rare match of design smarts and business smarts.

Maybe one of the biggies will buy the rights and put Hogan's name on a premium model line. Maybe Bob Parsons might do it.  Hogan was a flight instructor in the army during WW2.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 8/2/2022 at 2:56 PM, Will A said:

It's got a Recoil 780 ES F4 (S) on it.  I'm thinking I'm going to seek out a PTx Pro (possibly Icon scoring irons) set on the secondary market.  But if what I find already has a 4-iron, I'll reach back out to you.

I may have a Ptx set 4-PW with Recoil 660 F3 available. My new T300’s are at my house waiting for me…..

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 7/26/2022 at 2:43 AM, BIG STU said:

Yes and this is harsh here so forgive me--- It turns my stomach everytime I hear " Apex" mentioned when associated with Callaway-

Not quite a voodoo doll, but maybe dart board material, call it therapy.

nh.jpg.72371f569a0dd2cfc445e21692331aa4.jpg 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 11:51 PM, BIG STU said:

Ohh please the humanity Callaway had their chance with Hogan one time and messed that up. Stripped the company but kept the Iconic Apex name. Turns my stomach every time I see a Callaway shovel marked "Apex". .......

Sorry got up on the soapbox this morning but Callaway Apex affects me like that

Amen.  And nothing to be sorry about.  Had that same feeling when Callaway first did that.  To this day I have never owned a Callaway club.  I have only ever even played their golf balls when they were free. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed