Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Hdcp's

Opinions wanted.................Found a hdcp calculator web site. So instead of paying $80 for a GHIN from the local association, I went the free route. Now my playing group, who know my game and what I actually score every time we play is being dismissive about the choice. One in particular is most vocal on the subject and states that I should be playing scratch, if I don't have a registered GHIN hdcp, where everybody can look to verify. I don't play any tournament golf and as I stated, the group knows what I score every time we play.   

Total Callaway bag - except putter

18 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

Opinions wanted.................Found a hdcp calculator web site. So instead of paying $80 for a GHIN from the local association, I went the free route. Now my playing group, who know my game and what I actually score every time we play is being dismissive about the choice. One in particular is most vocal on the subject and states that I should be playing scratch, if I don't have a registered GHIN hdcp, where everybody can look to verify. I don't play any tournament golf and as I stated, the group knows what I score every time we play.   

Your playing group sets the rules for your playing group.  If the consensus is that an official USGA Handicap is required, then its required.  It seems like you have a choice, either shell out for an official handicap, or shell out every week when you lose money.  Or maybe you can convince the entire group to abandon their official handicaps, and use the free service that you use.  Or maybe you can find a new group to play with.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Adding one additional point, having a GHIN handicap doesn’t mean you post all your scores or follow the rules associated with posting scores.  This means your index could be just as wrong as what is calculated by your unofficial site.   
That said, your partners/group make the rules and if you want to play with them you need to comply with what is decided.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Appreciate the response, but here's the additional quandary. When ever someone brings a guest/friend/relative to play with the group, they readily accept whatever hdcp that player states without any verification, because it's vouched for by the inviting member and they did not have a GHIN hdcp. So the rules are not really set in stone are they?  

9 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

Appreciate the response, but here's the additional quandary. When ever someone brings a guest/friend/relative to play with the group, they readily accept whatever hdcp that player states without any verification, because it's vouched for by the inviting member and they did not have a GHIN hdcp. So the rules are not really set in stone are they?  

Again, this is what your group decides to do, best to talk with them.  Maybe figure out their concerns with the unofficial handicap 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

I'll pile on with @cnosil, its YOUR group of golfing friends.  We can't understand the history, or the current attitudes without being part of the group.  If you don't like the way things are done, its up to you to work through the issue(s) with the group.  It sounds like you made a personal choice, to save some money, and you don't like the way others have reacted to your choice.  I can understand both sides of this, but its a group decision kind of thing.  We don't know what kind of stakes you guys play for, nickels or hundreds.  We don't know what types of formats you use.  We don't know the range of skill levels.  We don't know if any of you actually check scoring records within GHIN, or whether they have access to YOUR scoring record in your free service.  I'm not going to say the group is wrong, and an individual is right.  Go talk to them, work it out.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Paying $80 seems a bit high for establishing a GHIN handicap.  I'm the administrator for our course's GHIN memberships and we charge $50 per year.  That includes reduced rates at our monthly golf tournaments, food at our annual meeting and funds that support junior golf and our high school golf team.  

There's an argument that integration of the World Handicap System and the enhanced GHIN phone app which makes it easier to input scores and access your handicap makes having a local GHIN number somewhat less important.  One could argue you could maintain your GHIN handicap anywhere.  Many of our members here are snowbirds and play half their rounds away from our course.  However, knowing your GHIN members and having an active Handicap Committee reviewing scores helps ensure the overall integrity of the system.  

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Our Saturday group is administered on golf genius software so we require a GHIN handicap.  If your group wants to use GHIN you're kind of stuck.  Doesn't seem like enough $$ to cause a stink over but that's just me.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

3 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

So over looking that others don't need a GHIN is of no consequence and has no influence in the discussion.........OK I stand corrected.........

Nobody has said that, only that its your job to work things out with your group of golfing friends.  If you want to use that argument with them, feel free to try.  The people in the MGS Forum aren't the folks you need to convince.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, ballhawk said:

If it makes that big of a difference and you want to use it as your excuse sounds like you’ll have to push back in the guests. Not my style to do that and rock the boat off the bat but if it helps your case have at it 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what answer you're looking for.  But I am curious about $80 fee for GHIN .... that's far more than I pay at my club currently or at my previous club.  Who is administering this fee?  The local golf course?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

48 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what answer you're looking for.  But I am curious about $80 fee for GHIN .... that's far more than I pay at my club currently or at my previous club.  Who is administering this fee?  The local golf course?

I just checked with my state association, the VSGA.  A 12-month membership costs $50.  My home club charges $40.  As I understand it from a Handicap seminar I attended a couple of years ago, most of the money stays with the state or regional association, only a few bucks go to the USGA.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I just checked with my state association, the VSGA.  A 12-month membership costs $50.  My home club charges $40.  As I understand it from a Handicap seminar I attended a couple of years ago, most of the money stays with the state or regional association, only a few bucks go to the USGA.

I haven’t renewed mine this year because I haven’t played any golf but it was $35 or $40 last year to renew my emembership with msga

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Have the guys in your group post scores in the free site and see how their HDCPS match up. Take the avg from the group of how far off their HDCP is from GHIN + - and make that your hdcp.

If they insist on a GHIN,  take your winnings from them and say thank you for paying my GHIN. Who knows maybe it helps you out in the long run and maybe get more than a dot or 3 a round. 

Like someone said, the $80 for GHIN seems incorrect. My state is $50 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

$80 seems high to me. I would contact your state golf association to inquire about getting a GHIN H/C directly through them. That may save you some money. Any golfers H/C is only as good as the information/scores that are put in the system.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

6 hours ago, ballhawk said:

Sounds to me you play with a bunch of 'up tight' guys!

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Can you share with the website is that gives you the free handicap? 

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

9 minutes ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Sounds to me you play with a bunch of 'up tight' guys!

I don't know, wanting to have every player calculating his handicap the same way, wanting to be able to review scores posted (peer review), seems to be pretty reasonable to me.  And if you do a web search for "free golf handicap" you'll find a bunch of options.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

In our men's league we have several golfers that do not have established handicaps or who demonstrated questionable score posting skills.    To deal them and to keep it fair as we can, we've migrated to a modified Stapleford points system.  You get 10 points for a hole in one on a par 3, 8 points for an eagle, 4 points for a birdie, 2 points for a par and 1 point for a bogey.  No points for a double or more.  Everyone has a point total they need to attain based on the average the actual points they scored on their last three rounds.  Averaging three rounds helps better deal with the normal ups and downs of peoples' games and doesn't overly penalize a golfer for a single good round for the next twenty scores.  The person and/or group with the most points over their target wins. 

When new people want in, we ask them for their handicap and/or what they typically shoot.  From there we can estimate their required points.  Then we add 2 to 4 points to their required total for being an unknown entity.  That "adjustment" will carry through until they have their three rounds in so their average can be calculated like every other golfer.  The administration of this system only takes is one person to collect the points scored after reach round, do some simple math and be prepared to assign each person's points at the next round.  I've taken over the administration for the Summer and it's not a big deal.  As a reality check I also look at those golfers with a GHIN handicap and compare how many points they would get with their handicap versus what they're assigned based on their last three rounds.  It's usually within 1-3 points.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Now I have shown the printout of scores and hdcp index that the free site delivers and they are free to use it themselves, but since most of them want to play in sanctioned events, the need for a GHIN is understandable. I've been playing with this group for well over 10 years and they know my game all to well. It's basically just one guy that takes exception on the matter and as of yet, it's just a grumble because he's not playing that well and venting at something that's different. The irony is that when ever I manage to win a particular hole, it's never one that would have a hdcp stroke applied. Our group goes from +2 to 16 hdcp. Playing at a 9 hdcp from the senior tees and being the oldest player, it's not very often that I win anything, but I enjoy the competition. 

As for all the suggestions about talking to the group, that's been done and the allowing of other none GHIN players has also been expressed. So until they either demand I get a GHIN, it's maintain the status quo and if they demand, then I'll find a new group. Just wanted to see what MSG folks had to say. Again, appreciate every ones responses.

Seems pretty simple.  Either pay to get a GHIN (there are lots of options less than $80) or find a new group.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos