Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Set

Jgolf

Okay Spies, I need your help to pick out a new set of clubs!

In recent years, my swing speed and consistency has grown to such a point that it's time for a new set. Not to mention that I just loaned my old set to a friend who is starting up - so in other words, acquiring clubs has become a very pressing priority for me right now. My coach agreed to do a static fitting on friday, so I will know all the proper specs, but there will still be a few gaps left open...

Swing info: With a 6 iron, my swing speed is 85 mph +- 1 which translates to a 180 yard shot. According to the latest range session, I've been coming into the ball at 4 degrees in to out with a 2 degree open club face, accordingly my shot shape is normally a fade.

I prefer a low ball flight, and love the look of players irons (mp-52 for ex.)

What kind of shafts would you guy's suggest? and in terms of woods and wedges, what should I be looking at?

Let me get the ball rolling and say this so that no one else has to:

"No one else can tell you what you will like or what will fit you. Go get fit for everything."

Now that that's out of the way: the best wedges I've played have been Scratch, so that's my recommendation there. I really like the different sole grinds, love the feel, and they offer a few nice customization options at no upcharge.

For fairway woods or hybrids, I think you must look at the RBZ stuff. I hit the hybrid today and it is stupid long and easy to hit.

I'm guessing based on an in-to-out swing path and your clubhead speed that you don't have major spin issues with the driver, so the world is your oyster there. I like the Ping G20 a lot, the i20 is a BEAUTY but I've heard it can be unforgiving (can't say myself yet).

If you want a low ballflight with your irons, you're probably going to want Dynamic Gold or Project X iron shafts. People seem to love the Mizuno MP-59, so that might be a head to look at.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Oh you lucky dog. New golf clubs. :P That is better than car shopping because you do not have to deal with car dealers. :D

But like car shopping there are some things to take into account. Are you going to keep it these clubs and drive them until the wheels fall off or are you going to trade them in a year or so when the new wears off. (much less time if you are like me. :rolleyes:) (I actually put more miles on my golf cart every week than on my car and the only shoes I "wear out" are golf shoes, the joys of working at home.) I am going golf shoe shopping today.

Just like Cadillac is no longer an old man car, Adams is a brand that bears some looking at. I did not even think of them the last time I went iron shopping. But they may not have the resell value of Mizuno. They also come with the KBS shafts. Since I have never played, swung, or even seen the Adams and KBS in person, I am just going by what I read here. But they do not have a low ball flight. The set I have now are my first Dynamic Gold shafts since the 2002 or so, other than wedges, and they are much lower that Project X and I like them a lot.

I am planning on looking at the Ping I or S series (not G) next time I get in the market. I like forged irons but if you play everyday, forged irons just do not last. On the flip side of that, I have some Ping Eye 2 that have been hit a million times and still do not have any wear on them.

So like a car shopper, you have a wide range of choices. And you need to go test drive them all.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I agree with GS_Matt, Scratch has probably the best wedges I've ever played, but they are also pricey. The closest I've come to them in feel is the Maltby Tricept.

So lets assume money isn't an object, this is where I'd go.

Driver - Ping i20, TM RBZ, or Adams Fast 12

Woods - TM RBZ, Adams Fast 12, or Tour Edge Exotics

Hybrid - TM RBZ, Adams, or Tour Edge Exotics

Irons - Ping S56, Adams CB1/2, Mizuno, or Muira

Wedges - Scratch

Putter - No prefernce here, whatever feels right

On a budget, this is where I'd go.

Driver - Same as above

Woods - TM RBZ or Adams Fast 12

Hybrid - TM RBZ

Irons - Maltby KE4 Tour or Swing Science S800---Have these, Love them

Wedges - Maltby Tricept or SnakeEyes 685Bx or 695LZ

Putter - Again, whatever feels right

• SPY VIP

Ok...I'll bite.

1st. Go get fit. Period. But in the spirit of the thread:

Drivers: TM (RBZ or R11S...I prefer the R11s), Nike VR_S. If you want a slightly smaller head: Bridgestone J40, Nike VR Pro Limited

Fairway Wood: RocketBallz (that is all...I have nothing more to add)

Hybrid: TM RBZ, Adams

Irons: (based on your example), Wilson FG Tour V2, Mizuno MP-53...and if you want to spend the cash, Miura CB-501 or Passing Points.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 or for more $$$ Miura Series 57.

Even if you don't do a full fitting, find somebody who has got a Mizuno fitting cart with the shaft optimizer. In 3 swings it will give you very solid shaft recommendation.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The 8620's are only $99, and that's what I've used for a couple of years now. Cheaper than Vokey, Cleveland, Mizuno...

Thats not bad at all. I guess the only ones I've seen the price on are the 1018 and I think they run about $160 plus, if I remember right.

For the money though, I still don't think that the Maltby Tricepts can be beat; I build them for about $45/each with the DG Spinners. They are 1025C and feel very comparable to the 8620 I have.

For the money though, I still don't think that the Maltby Tricepts can be beat; I build them for about $45/each with the DG Spinners. They are 1025C and feel very comparable to the 8620 I have.

How did you install the spinners? The maltby wedges are .370 hosels and the spinners are taper tip. I know there are shims out there, but I was always advised against this.

..back to the topic though:

It's too early for me to talk about my wedges because I haven't been to a range since I built them, but there are a lot of great options for a lot less than the big name OEMs. Plus I just like the feeling of having clubs no one else has :D. The brands I look at are Dynacraft, Maltby, Swing Science, and Wishon, though based on the hype, I would definitely give the RBZ a try and I probably will once I get a few range sessions in.

To update: I ordered the mp-53's standard length 1 degree upright with the S300 shafts (they felt the best in my swing...) Odds are I'll go with the 8620 scratch wedges. In terms of woods, however, I'm still undecided. I'll go demo tomorrow and see if I can come up with a favorite...

Thanks for all your help! Please keep it coming (with a focus on woods and shafts)

Best,

JG

How did you install the spinners? The maltby wedges are .370 hosels and the spinners are taper tip. I know there are shims out there, but I was always advised against this.

..back to the topic though:

It's too early for me to talk about my wedges because I haven't been to a range since I built them, but there are a lot of great options for a lot less than the big name OEMs. Plus I just like the feeling of having clubs no one else has :D. The brands I look at are Dynacraft, Maltby, Swing Science, and Wishon, though based on the hype, I would definitely give the RBZ a try and I probably will once I get a few range sessions in.

I actually have the Maltbys on Project X shafts right now; I got the Spinners a couple months after I got the heads. I'm going to use shims though. They are only .355 at the tip and come to .370 a little over half way up the hosel. I've never had a problem shimming before.

Archived