TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Forged TEC and TEC-X

chisag

Always good stuff @chisaggoing to give whomever gets these bad boys a run to express their thoughts as well as you have.

it’s amazing that the initially picture there of the back side you would never know the soul or anything about the club was bigger than the other.

Spot on with the players distance category. It’s a damn gold mine right now, no wonder every OEM is trying to get space in it

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

33 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

it’s amazing that the initially picture there of the back side you would never know the soul or anything about the club was bigger than the other.

... Certainly not a night and day difference but I think the thicker top line and slightly wider sole gives the X the appearance of a larger more forgiving head. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Nice write up! I think it was genius to split the model into two offerings to capture both the GI segment in one of the best looking GI offerings along with the more players iron offering. Does the FT have a progressive blade length from top to bottom, a la 223/i210? Also, what is the verdict for you...I know you love the MIMs, are you a) back into MIMs, b) kicking the MIMs to the garage, or c) going to blend in any FT irons at the top?

I didn't play the '20 FTs at all but had a forged tec black 4i in my previous set and my brother played a full set of the forged tec blacks that I got a fair amount of tinkering time with - I thought they were pretty awesome feel and performance wise for a players distance iron, albeit with a bit more offset and top line heft than I like to look down at in the short irons. Did you ever take the FTB for a spin way back in 2018-2020 to compare it against this model?

I am still really liking my P7 series combo after ~5 months and have avoided trying anything new since I got them because I am easily influenced by shiny objects and need to keep my spending in check at the moment... but if it offers improved performance/feel in what seems to be a sleeker, more player-centric package I am going to be very intrigued.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Nice review Chisag.   Should generate even more excitement for the contest we have running right now. 

Someone is going to be a vey happy winner. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

23 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Nice write up! I think it was genius to split the model into two offerings to capture both the GI segment in one of the best looking GI offerings along with the more players iron offering. Does the FT have a progressive blade length from top to bottom, a la 223/i210? Also, what is the verdict for you...I know you love the MIMs, are you a) back into MIMs, b) kicking the MIMs to the garage, or c) going to blend in any FT irons at the top?

Did you ever take the FTB for a spin way back in 2018-2020 to compare it against this model?

... but if it offers improved performance/feel in what seems to be a sleeker, more player-centric package I am going to be very intrigued.

... I only hit the last FT model 4 iron in a net at PGA SS to see what they felt like as they just didn't fit my eye at address. I have gone back to my MIM's because they missed me. 🥰  I am also happy with the MIM long irons so no need to combo them with FT's but maybe an experiment next winter. And I will probably pull the FT's out every month or so to see make up excuse here if I missed something. I think if they had 4* gaps instead of 5* it might be a tougher decision. 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, chisag said:

The hottest category for golf clubs in 2022 has to be Distance Irons and especially Players Distance Irons. Cobra is addressing both categories with their new Forged Tec and Forged Tec X irons. There has never been more choices when it comes to irons so let’s take a look at these two offerings from Cobra and see which one or maybe a combination of both, is a fit for your game.

465751904_FTcavity.jpg.552ecdd72aeca27abbeb68319df63256.jpg

The size of an iron head is pretty difficult to get juuuuust perfect for everyone as some prefer slightly smaller, some slightly larger, some a thin top line and others a more confidence inspiring thicker top line. I think Cobra has addressed this brilliantly with a slightly smaller head and thinner top line in the Forged Tec and slightly larger head with a little thicker top line in the Forged Tec X. Of course some like a little of both with a little more substance and forgiveness in their long irons and those players may find a Forged Tec and Tec X long iron combo might be worth looking into.

One thing that makes the Forged Tec unique when it comes to a hollow head Players Iron is a true 5 step forging process. Two rough forgings and three precision forgings using a soft 1025 carbon steel body, the FT’s are the softest feeling hollow headed, foam filled irons I have hit. In fact if I did not know they were hollow the first time I hit them, I would probably have thought they were a solid carbon steel CB head. That is saying something. The forged PWRSHELL face is constructed of a Maraging Steel that is thinner, lighter and with more flex it results in a slight speed increase over the previous version. The X model is constructed with 431 steel and utilizes ST-118 in it’s forged PWRSHELL face and while it is not as dense and soft feeling as the Forged Tec, the X still produces a very nice feel. The other big difference between these two irons is the FT has 20 gms of tungsten place low in the head and the X has 60gms of tungsten placed even lower. The difference produces a little higher ball flight and more forgiveness in the X model. My first shot with the Forged Tec X was 199yds to a par 5 with a front pin. For reference my MIM 4 iron is my 195 yd club and the FT-X 4 iron ended up on the back fringe. Longer? Check.

814897424_FTsole.jpg.1203dba88e1814f2fdece77139abcda0.jpg

I think Cobra’s Jessi Stone, Design Engineer Irons, sums up what we all look for in an iron: Performance, Feel, Shape and Cosmetics. Jessi went on to say “We realized in the Players Distance category there wasn’t really an iron that delivered that true better players shaping and feel”. Taking visual cues from Rickie Fowlers irons Coba incorporated a thinner top line desired by better players and reduced the offset for a cleaner look at address. One of the major differences from the last version, and any other competing iron I am aware of, the Forged Tecs utilize a thinner softer foam in the longer irons for distance and feel while the shorter irons use a heavier polymer material for a better sound, feel and accuracy utilizing the best of both worlds. 

I always find technology interesting but playability and forgiveness is where the FT and FT-X irons really got my attention. What most are looking for in a Players Distance and Distance iron is a little more distance without being silly long because that can create gaps in yardage. I find the FT’s a few yards longer than the MIM irons I have been playing, while the FT-X adds a few more yards compared to the FT’s. Did I mention these are forgiving? Shots hit a little off center do not have that melt in the face feel but still feel pretty darned good and produce shots that only loose a little in distance and direction. Many players prefer an iron that gives them that kind of feedback while still producing a good shot. More severe mishits suffer more but still produce reasonably playable shots, especially the FT-X that I would easily put in the Game Improvement category. And as mentioned earlier those looking for additional forgiveness in their long irons might be interested in a combo set of FT short/mid irons and FT-X long irons.

1034792803_FTbag.jpg.5468da23d1c9925a65041b47aaefaa5d.jpg

Lofts are about average for a Players Distance Iron with a 45* pw decreasing by 5* through the short irons and the 4.5*, 3.5*, 3* and finally 2* between the 5 and 4 irons. from the 6 to the 4 iron. With a 44* pitching wedge some may want to order the 49* gap wedge unless they already play a wedge in that slot. The irons come stock with KBS $-Taper Lite steel shafts in the Tec and KBS Tour Lite in the Tec X. You can also order either set with the excellent KBS TGi graphite shafts for a $100 up charge. Considering the TGi’s retail for $65 each that is a $355 savings. Recoil 95's are also available at the same price. As usual with Cobra, you can custom order the Forged Tec and Tec X irons with a myriad of available custom steel and graphite shafts.

1272776349_FTface.jpg.d9fea7ec1e9f01e1f2c0f22e8d8122b7.jpg

The Forged Tec’s and the additional distance with more forgiveness than my normal irons are just a joy to play. Originally I was a little worried about not creating enough spin, something I have experienced with other Players Distance irons but I had no problem holding the hard fast desert greens in Phoenix. I also played the FT-X 4 iron and found it very forging and long, a recipe for success from the fairway and off the tee it as close to a Driving Iron as I have played. Cobra has done an amazing job with these two irons and high, mid and low index player looking for a Players Distance or a Distance Iron that provides a little more forgiveness while also giving you consistent distance and trajectory, should put the Forged Tec and Forged Tec-X  at the top of their must demo list. More info and pictures of both irons are available on the Cobra website:

https://www.cobragolf.com/forged-tec-irons

https://www.cobragolf.com/forged-tec-x-irons

Great write up! Perfectly summarizes everything I’m looking for in a review … and most importantly, was looking for your feedback on the feel on these irons for I did read they’re forged 5 times over. Was happy to read your positive comments on that.

The one thing that keeps my eye on new irons is them being forged … for I truly do miss the feeling of forged irons. Have really enjoyed my G425 and my game has benefited from them, especially in the distance dept. But man how I ever so often I wish they were forged and just a smidge smaller in the scoring clubs. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

On 7/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, chisag said:

The hottest category for golf clubs in 2022 has to be Distance Irons and especially Players Distance Irons. Cobra is addressing both categories with their new Forged Tec and Forged Tec X irons. There has never been more choices when it comes to irons so let’s take a look at these two offerings from Cobra and see which one or maybe a combination of both, is a fit for your game.

The size of an iron head is pretty difficult to get juuuuust perfect for everyone as some prefer slightly smaller, some slightly larger, some a thin top line and others a more confidence inspiring thicker top line. I think Cobra has addressed this brilliantly with a slightly smaller head and thinner top line in the Forged Tec and slightly larger head with a little thicker top line in the Forged Tec X. Of course some like a little of both with a little more substance and forgiveness in their long irons and those players may find a Forged Tec and Tec X long iron combo might be worth looking into.

One thing that makes the Forged Tec unique when it comes to a hollow head Players Iron is a true 5 step forging process. Two rough forgings and three precision forgings using a soft 1025 carbon steel body, the FT’s are the softest feeling hollow headed, foam filled irons I have hit. In fact if I did not know they were hollow the first time I hit them, I would probably have thought they were a solid carbon steel CB head. That is saying something. The forged PWRSHELL face is constructed of a Maraging Steel that is thinner, lighter and with more flex it results in a slight speed increase over the previous version. The X model is constructed with 431 steel and utilizes ST-118 in it’s forged PWRSHELL face and while it is not as dense and soft feeling as the Forged Tec, the X still produces a very nice feel. The other big difference between these two irons is the FT has 20 gms of tungsten place low in the head and the X has 60gms of tungsten placed even lower. The difference produces a little higher ball flight and more forgiveness in the X model. My first shot with the Forged Tec X was 199yds to a par 5 with a front pin. For reference my MIM 4 iron is my 195 yd club and the FT-X 4 iron ended up on the back fringe. Longer? Check.

I think Cobra’s Jessi Stone, Design Engineer Irons, sums up what we all look for in an iron: Performance, Feel, Shape and Cosmetics. Jessi went on to say “We realized in the Players Distance category there wasn’t really an iron that delivered that true better players shaping and feel”. Taking visual cues from Rickie Fowlers irons Coba incorporated a thinner top line desired by better players and reduced the offset for a cleaner look at address. One of the major differences from the last version, and any other competing iron I am aware of, the Forged Tecs utilize a thinner softer foam in the longer irons for distance and feel while the shorter irons use a heavier polymer material for a better sound, feel and accuracy utilizing the best of both worlds. 

I always find technology interesting but playability and forgiveness is where the FT and FT-X irons really got my attention. What most are looking for in a Players Distance and Distance iron is a little more distance without being silly long because that can create gaps in yardage. I find the FT’s a few yards longer than the MIM irons I have been playing, while the FT-X adds a few more yards compared to the FT’s. Did I mention these are forgiving? Shots hit a little off center do not have that melt in the face feel but still feel pretty darned good and produce shots that only loose a little in distance and direction. Many players prefer an iron that gives them that kind of feedback while still producing a good shot. More severe mishits suffer more but still produce reasonably playable shots, especially the FT-X that I would easily put in the Game Improvement category. And as mentioned earlier those looking for additional forgiveness in their long irons might be interested in a combo set of FT short/mid irons and FT-X long irons.

Lofts are about average for a Players Distance Iron with a 45* pw decreasing by 5* through the short irons and the 4.5*, 3.5*, 3* and finally 2* between the 5 and 4 irons. from the 6 to the 4 iron. With a 44* pitching wedge some may want to order the 49* gap wedge unless they already play a wedge in that slot. The irons come stock with KBS $-Taper Lite steel shafts in the Tec and KBS Tour Lite in the Tec X. You can also order either set with the excellent KBS TGi graphite shafts for a $100 up charge. Considering the TGi’s retail for $65 each that is a $355 savings. Recoil 95's are also available at the same price. As usual with Cobra, you can custom order the Forged Tec and Tec X irons with a myriad of available custom steel and graphite shafts.

The Forged Tec’s and the additional distance with more forgiveness than my normal irons are just a joy to play. Originally I was a little worried about not creating enough spin, something I have experienced with other Players Distance irons but I had no problem holding the hard fast desert greens in Phoenix. I also played the FT-X 4 iron and found it very forging and long, a recipe for success from the fairway and off the tee it as close to a Driving Iron as I have played. Cobra has done an amazing job with these two irons and high, mid and low index player looking for a Players Distance or a Distance Iron that provides a little more forgiveness while also giving you consistent distance and trajectory, should put the Forged Tec and Forged Tec-X  at the top of their must demo list. More info and pictures of both irons are available on the Cobra website:

Awesome write up @chisag! Thanks for this review! 

The Forged Tec's are on my short list of clubs to consider this year. I've been itching to get a set of Cobras in the bag for a while now. 

One question that I have for reference is how these compare to the MIM's in profile? I've had a chance to look the MIM's over in the store and IMO they fit right in that sweet spot of player's profile without being overly intimidating. Is it safe to say that the Forged Tec's share a similar footprint with the MIM's? 

Thanks!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

The Forged Tec's are on my short list of clubs to consider this year. I've been itching to get a set of Cobras in the bag for a while now. 

One question that I have for reference is how these compare to the MIM's in profile? I've had a chance to look the MIM's over in the store and IMO they fit right in that sweet spot of player's profile without being overly intimidating. Is it safe to say that the Forged Tec's share a similar footprint with the MIM's? 

... Yup, the footprint is very similar. The FT's have a little thicker top line, more offset and the hosel grind isn't as smooth in transition as the MIM's but that is pretty true for all irons because the MIM's have the best hosel transition I have seen. The FT's defiantly have a little beefier look which for many will give them more confidence. For me, the 4* instead of 5* gapping, more spin and the extraordinary feel of the MIM's is why they are back in my bag. But I could play these FT's and be very happy. 

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup, the footprint is very similar. The FT's have a little thicker top line, more offset and the hosel grind isn't as smooth in transition as the MIM's but that is pretty true for all irons because the MIM's have the best hosel transition I have seen. The FT's defiantly have a little beefier look which for many will give them more confidence. For me, the 4* instead of 5* gapping, more spin and the extraordinary feel of the MIM's is why they are back in my bag. But I could play these FT's and be very happy. 

This is where I always have struggled mentally...I don't mind and in fact actually like a bit of heft in the long irons, but in the scoring irons it starts to bug me (even though I fully acknowledge that there is no technical/logical reason for a slightly chunkier club to impact my swing). That is why I have a blended set currently and was in love with my prior CB scoring irons; before that I had iE1s that were progressive and got much smaller in the short irons. Extra top line heft & blade length on the short irons is why I didn't get a full set of P770s for my current gamers, or Forged Tec Blacks with my previous set. That said I have never played extensively with a set like this; I would be curious how quickly the squirrels running around in my head would calm down after more reps because I have heard plenty of commentary about how you just get used to what you're looking down at after a little while; I am just not the type to take a chance on that happening when I am making a ~$1400 purchase every ~3 years.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Well I guess the next thing to do is go see/hit them for myself. I've gotten pretty used to a smaller visual profile with these Callaway RAZR X MB's (think Apex Pro's but maybe smaller?) so hopefully the FT's aren't substantially larger. I've formed tolerances for top line, sole, offset, and blade length parameters. Obviously what I'm playing now is on the low end of my tolerance range and if these squeak just under the the high end, I can deal with that. The MIM's are right in the middle with a profile pretty similar to the Maltby TS1s that I played for a while with the exception of a slightly longer blade in the Maltbys. 

Tanks again for the info! Definitely a push to give them a serious look

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I've formed tolerances for top line, sole, offset, and blade length parameters. Obviously what I'm playing now is on the low end of my tolerance range and if these squeak just under the the high end, I can deal with that.

... We all have our individual preferences don't we? When I bought a set of Mizuno MP33's I asked the Mizuno Rep if I could order them with a "thinner" top line and he said no. The only sets he was aware of that were offered to Pro's was Darren Clarke had his MP33's made with a thicker top line as he preferred a chunkier look, especially in his short irons. 🤪

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

This is where I always have struggled mentally...I don't mind and in fact actually like a bit of heft in the long irons, but in the scoring irons it starts to bug me (even though I fully acknowledge that there is no technical/logical reason for a slightly chunkier club to impact my swing).

That said I have never played extensively with a set like this; I would be curious how quickly the squirrels running around in my head would calm down after more reps because I have heard plenty of commentary about how you just get used to what you're looking down at after a little while; I am just not the type to take a chance on that happening when I am making a ~$1400 purchase every ~3 years.

... I think for many of us we can get used to things like a slightly thicker/thinner top line along with toe and heel height. But size and shape of the head is much harder to over come visually. I envy those that really don't care or have a preference and choose solely on performance. But if you are picky with squirrels running around in your head and it doesn't look at least in the ball park of what fits your eye, sooner or later you will lose confidence in those clubs. Thankfully there are enough choices out there so we can all find something that looks good and performs well for our individual tastes and games. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, chisag said:

HMMM Lead tape on the 7&9 irons---- LOL I am starting to rub off on you----- I have that effect😉

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 11 months later...

Bought the forged tec x irons about a month ago and really like the feel.  Does feel like a "true" forged club when hit properly.  The issue I have is that I cracked the face of the 7 iron already and had to take the entire set back to the PGA superstore to send to Cobra.  I was simply hitting balls on the range and heard the crack.  Anyone else have this kind of issue?  

I take really good care of my clubs so surprised this happened 😣