Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you find your used gear?

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Some of the other threads have touched upon buying gear from non-golf shop sources. What are the resources that you regularly use to buy and sell your used gear? Or where do you find discounted new gear?

For me:

Buying Gear

eBay, OEM Preowned sites, craigslist, pawn shops, thrift stores, estate sales, message boards

Selling

For me it is only craigslist. I have only sold a few things via paypal from one of the boards. I really like the cash/in person/in public

online shops

rockbottomgolf.com

3balls

taylormadepreowned

callawaypreowned

ironfinders.com

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It used to be eBay exclusively, but recently the fees have increase so much selling on there is not really worth it, and from what I hear there are a lot of counterfeit clubs...

I've read about people getting great deals on Craigslist, but in my area there really aren't many deals... everything is WAY overpriced...

now I mostly look sat discount and used sites like the ones you posted... plus before I buy from ANY store online I search google for coupon codes... You can usually find free shipping or 10% off with coupon codes...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

It used to be eBay exclusively, but recently the fees have increase so much selling on there is not really worth it, and from what I hear there are a lot of counterfeit clubs...

I've read about people getting great deals on Craigslist, but in my area there really aren't many deals... everything is WAY overpriced...

now I mostly look sat discount and used sites like the ones you posted... plus before I buy from ANY store online I search google for coupon codes... You can usually find free shipping or 10% off with coupon codes...

Good point with the coupon codes. You reminded me of fatwallet.com. Good deal list boards for lots of stuff. I occasionally search "golf" in the Hot Deals and Free Stuff areas. Coupon codes are there too, especially for non-golf specific retailers like Dicks and Sports Authority.

There are other deal sites like fatwallet, using one makes excellent bargain sense.

Volvo Intorqueo

dealcoupon.com and slickdeals.net are 2 of my favorites... most chain store are there and a lot of smaller places as well...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

The original topic was used gear. I don't think you can buy used gear from some of the places mentioned.

I troll mostly Ebay although I will sometimes purchase from Big Box Retail if I had a gift card. My family rarely has a clue on what to buy me so I usually end up with a few gift cards for X-Mas and my birthday. But Golf Galaxy isn't carrying as much used gear anymore and Golfsmith charges a premium except for the times when they discount.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Marshall's and TJ Maxx have stuff from time to time -- it's new, but usually good prices.

For used, it's usually from the used bin at a local shop. Or, from someone I "know" from a golf forum.

I do all of my selling on internet forums. I did a couple sale on ebay, but I saw no reason to let them take a big bite out of my money. I will buy occasionally on ebay, but I do most of that on forums also. I've sold odds and ends on craigslist, but nothing golf related - the stuff I want to buy and sell is pretty specialized and I'd rather advertise it directly to people who I know are interested in equipment. Most of the craigslist postings I see are, "Golf clubs - $10".

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I buy all golf equipment at golf stores. I like being able to pick out the specific club I want. I don't mind spending a little extra money for an in person experience.

I used to think this, but many of the good "mom and pop" golf stores have been driven out of existence by the likes of Dicks, Sports Authority, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, and other large sports/golf retailers. And in the big boxes, in general, I find the in-person experience to be woefully lacking. Granted, I think I'm more knowledgeable than your average consumer but I'm appalled sometimes at the lack of expertise among the staff at these locations.

Note: Just one example. During my most recent visit to Golfsmith, nobody except the manager had heard about Srixon coming out with yellow Z-tours. I just shook my head.

So, I try to limit my visits to commodity purchases like balls, gloves, tees, etc. and leave the big ticket purchases for the internet. I'll take saving money over frustration any day of the week.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I used to think this, but many of the good "mom and pop" golf stores have been driven out of existence by the likes of Dicks, Sports Authority, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, and other large sports/golf retailers. And in the big boxes, in general, I find the in-person experience to be woefully lacking. Granted, I think I'm more knowledgeable than your average consumer but I'm appalled sometimes at the lack of expertise among the staff at these locations.

I don't mind the big stores, I like to be able to go in and hit balls and go out without really talking to anyone. When buy something I research it on my own so I don't really ask for their opinions. Not that I don't respect them, I just prefer going it alone.

Note: Just one example. During my most recent visit to Golfsmith, nobody except the manager had heard about Srixon coming out with yellow Z-tours. I just shook my head.

So, I try to limit my visits to commodity purchases like balls, gloves, tees, etc. and leave the big ticket purchases for the internet. I'll take saving money over frustration any day of the week.

I also get frustrated with the employees at big box stores, but more for lack of basic customer service skills than for lack of knowledge. I think that for it's unfair for us to expect that minimum wage employees in a golf store should know every bit of minutiae about equipment the way that we do. That said, I think many of them do fall way below the "minimum required knowledge" bar.

• SPY VIP

I don't mind the big stores, I like to be able to go in and hit balls and go out without really talking to anyone. When buy something I research it on my own so I don't really ask for their opinions. Not that I don't respect them, I just prefer going it alone.

Lack of customer service and employee knowledge about the product is a very dangerous situation for a business. Especially the golf business. Very few of our purchases are based upon true need. We are tinkers. We seek the new, but truly can keep the old gear. Although it seems like golf is a vital need for me, the money to funs it would be cut well before other things.

Because of the net, B&M shops will only stay open if they can offer something that can't be bought online, and that is customer service.

Volvo Intorqueo

Lack of customer service and employee knowledge about the product is a very dangerous situation for a business. Especially the golf business. Very few of our purchases are based upon true need. We are tinkers. We seek the new, but truly can keep the old gear. Although it seems like golf is a vital need for me, the money to funs it would be cut well before other things.

Because of the net, B&M shops will only stay open if they can offer something that can't be bought online, and that is customer service.

I just like doing it myself. I would rather go in, hit some balls, if I'm going to buy something, get fit, and check out. I don't need them to compare clubs or recommend, because I like doing that myself, and I generally look at everything available anyway. It isn't to be pompous or anything, I just prefer doing thing myself.

• SPY VIP

I just like doing it myself. I would rather go in, hit some balls, if I'm going to buy something, get fit, and check out. I don't need them to compare clubs or recommend, because I like doing that myself, and I generally look at everything available anyway. It isn't to be pompous or anything, I just prefer doing thing myself.

I did read that above. My point is that not everyone enters a store fully armed with all the knowledge about gear. IF the staff can't supply the knowledge to someone who does need it, then they won't be back. Good shops with good customer service have loyal followings bad shops close.

Volvo Intorqueo

I did read that above. My point is that not everyone enters a store fully armed with all the knowledge about gear. IF the staff can't supply the knowledge to someone who does need it, then they won't be back. Good shops with good customer service have loyal followings bad shops close.

I know. To each his own.

I've found the same as you....and it's one of my pet peeves.

I hate when you are in a store -- any kind -- and you ask the salesperson about an item...looking for information...and they immediately pick up the product or box and begin reading. :( :D I just want to look at them and say, "thanks Einstein...I can read the box".

I am a strict believer in the local stores for used golf gear. With all of them giving me a 30 trial period to return for store credit, I can't go anyway else.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I am a strict believer in the local stores for used golf gear. With all of them giving me a 30 trial period to return for store credit, I can't go anyway else.

How is the used supply in your area John? The B&M shops near me are not big on used gear with most of their trade-ins going right to eBay.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think it's definitely a buyer's market these days, and Ebay may still have the best deals for used clubs. And one can definitely be picky about making sure the seller's reputation is at least 99% positive, clear photos are being used, etc. I'll also occasionally sort through the used bin at my local shop. If I have to have something in "near mint" condition and am willing to spend the extra money, I'll check out such OEM sites like CallawayPreOwned.com or TaylormadePreOwned.net

How is the used supply in your area John? The B&M shops near me are not big on used gear with most of their trade-ins going right to eBay.

Right now it's just ok, but getting better as Spring has Sprung and folks are buying new clubs and trading in old ones.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Right now it's just ok, but getting better as Spring has Sprung and folks are buying new clubs and trading in old ones.

As the resident fashion expert, what about used golf clothing. Personally I have found amazing golf outerwear at thrift stores.

Gortex LS, SS wind jacket, lined wind vest all known golf brands, total of $10.

The only thing i have not found is rain pants in my size. I did find a $3 pair of small Sunice ones though. Only 1 dry leg there for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

As the resident fashion expert, what about used golf clothing. Personally I have found amazing golf outerwear at thrift stores.

Gortex LS, SS wind jacket, lined wind vest all known golf brands, total of $10.

The only thing i have not found is rain pants in my size. I did find a $3 pair of small Sunice ones though. Only 1 dry leg there for me.

I've never gone looking for used golf clothing, but I've never noticed any when I've been in thrift stores either. Perhaps there are too many golfers out here picking it all up. I tend to get my golf clothing in bunches when I can find good deals (like when I had a TMag membership...those were the days). 14 Stix usually has nice, reasonably priced stuff.

• SPY VIP

I've never gone looking for used golf clothing, but I've never noticed any when I've been in thrift stores either. Perhaps there are too many golfers out here picking it all up. I tend to get my golf clothing in bunches when I can find good deals (like when I had a TMag membership...those were the days). 14 Stix usually has nice, reasonably priced stuff.

Got some shirts from them and GPP when they had the 2 4 1 deal last summer.

Check the used clothes is the thrift store. I was shocked at the stuff and quality brands.

Volvo Intorqueo

I am super wary of used clubs on Ebay with all of the counterfeits out there. I have just seen too many really bad copies, poor reshafts, and other Ebay horror stories to buy anyplace other than my shop. (says the guy who works at a golf shop)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I am super wary of used clubs on Ebay with all of the counterfeits out there. I have just seen too many really bad copies, poor reshafts, and other Ebay horror stories to buy anyplace other than my shop. (says the guy who works at a golf shop)

How much used stuff do you have? Do you use PGA Value guide as a trade in guide?

Volvo Intorqueo

I tend to avoid ebay too, though other means of buying used clubs are not fool proof. Your comment about reshafts made me remember a funny story about a club I bought on another forum. 2 years ago I was getting ready for my spring golf trip with my dad and I had bought a new Adams tour issued 3W with an Ozik shaft. I was so proud of it. Dad and I went to the range to warm up and I pulled out that 3W. First swing, nice. Second swing, the head flew farther than the ball. Shaft snapped about an inch or two above the hosel and just went flying. Thankfully I was able to recover the head, got a refund, and all was well, but I was freaking out when it happened.

How much used stuff do you have? Do you use PGA Value guide as a trade in guide?

We do. We end up selling most of our stuff on the bay, but only if it has been authenticated, and not reshafted. I think we have like 40 iron sets and 300 single woods right now.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived