TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tiger's real reason for oppossing the long putters.

RoverRick

I am a Tiger fan but last night I watched his press conference at the National Pro Am where he weighed in on the long putter issue and it sort of irritated me. I already knew he did not like them. Heck, Tiger may be a great golfer but it is not like he is an golf technology buff. His contribution to technology is he tells Nike he wants this, then trys it, and tells them to keep it or try again. Oh yeah, and that he wants the colors red and black. He played a steel shafted driver until 2005. Complained that we went to metal woods. Still plays a 2 iron blade. And if it did not leave him at a disadvantage, he would probably play persimmon woods.

It was the way he said, "I talked to Pete at the R&A several times over the past couple of years and even offered a solution." that really ticked me off. I thought, did you not have anything better to do the last couple of years than worry about other peoples equipment? Maybe you should get off the phonoe with Pete, and get a swing you can re-Pete. Or maybe you should try one of these long putters.

Obviously, I am not only a fan of the long putters, but against more rules in general, and against limiting equipment in particular. I know that Tiger was all for the limits on equipment. I recall him leading the charge that it was ruining our great courses. "We can't play Marion any more without shooting 20 under." he has said. I say great, so you shoot 20 under. Or let the grass grow up and see what the scores are.

I was looking on the internet, because I seem to recall Tiger making comments about hybrids when they first started to hit the PGA Tour. I did not find this but I did find the reason he is for all of this. He was talking about putting a speed limit on the balls and he said,

"Hey, I am one of the guys that if they did roll the ball back, it would help me out a little bit. I would have an advantage. Any long guy who hits the ball long and high would have more of an advantage because now we're having to hit longer irons in the greens, other guys are having to hit hybrids and woods, so you have an advantage.

From a personal standpoint and competitive standpoint, I won't mind them rolling the ball back because I would have an advantage."

Just like he preceives that putting a speed limit on the ball helps him, he sees that doing away with long putters helps him. He claims he is a traditionalist, and I am sure he is, but he is also not above doing anything within the rules that will give him an advantage. And if he can get the rules changed to something that gives him an advantage he is certainly for that also.

Opinions wanted.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I wouldn't be so mad at him.

Let's face it, a dozen of other guys probably agree with Tiger, but they just don't express it with the same kind of "freedom".

I hate long putters too... not because they give an unfair advantage... they just look ugly to me and not traditional.

If a hybrid or long putter was standing between you and a $2 million check every tournament... wouldn't it bother you just a little?

I know I would :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If anyone didn't know this already: Big Tiger fan right here. Just so you know.

I can certainly understand why his comment could be irritating to some people, particularly those that like the longer putters. Personally, I appreciate the honesty. If you think that there's a player out there who wouldn't want to change the rules to his own personal advantage, I think you're crazy.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I am not that mad at Tiger. I already knew he was oppossed to the long putters. But I do not like the hypocracy of these players, and people in general, who embrace technology when it gives them an advantage, but will turn right around on something that they preceive gives others an advantage but not them and cry that it is going against the tradtions of the game.

In most of these cases, if someone came out with an 8 foot driver shaft that you held across your shoulders and could bomb the ball and it would end up in the fairway, some people would like it and some would hate it. Some people would think it looked stupid. But if were legal, and it helped some people yet was availible for every one. Then I am for it. I am not against it just because it helps you and not me.

I still want him to win the tournament this week. And every week. In the same interview I got the quote from he talked about metal spikes vs soft spikes and why he will never go to soft spikes. That has now changed. He also said that he probably never change putters. But I would bet anything that if Tiger putted better with a long putter, we would see one in his hands.

• SPY VIP

I am not that mad at Tiger. I already knew he was oppossed to the long putters. But I do not like the hypocracy of these players, and people in general, who embrace technology when it gives them an advantage, but will turn right around on something that they preceive gives others an advantage but not them and cry that it is going against the tradtions of the game.

In most of these cases, if someone came out with an 8 foot driver shaft that you held across your shoulders and could bomb the ball and it would end up in the fairway, some people would like it and some would hate it. Some people would think it looked stupid. But if were legal, and it helped some people yet was availible for every one. Then I am for it. I am not against it just because it helps you and not me.

I still want him to win the tournament this week. And every week. In the same interview I got the quote from he talked about metal spikes vs soft spikes and why he will never go to soft spikes. That has now changed. He also said that he probably never change putters. But I would bet anything that if Tiger putted better with a long putter, we would see one in his hands.

+1...except for the part about wanting Tiger to win. Hard for me to pull for generally miserable people no matter their talents.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Tiger is trying to recapture his position as the number one golfer in the world rankings. Just a few years ago none of the top players were using long putters. Tiger's long putter competition was limited to Carl Pettersson, Tim Clark, Rocco, and maybe a few others. None were a real threat to his dominance. The long putter, even then, was still considered an inferior way to putt.

Today, Tiger is seeing lots of young, really talented players using long putters. Keegan Bradley wins the PGA Championship using one. Adam Scott finishes 2nd, ahead of Tiger, in the Masters using one. Webb Simpson and others are winning on tour using long putters. I'm sure Tiger is wondering--like all of us-- how well these guys would be putting if they had to use standard putters. Every time he loses to someone using a long putter, he is going to be asking that question.

The long putter has evolved from an inferior way to putt with no one caring who uses them, to a potentially better way to putt because young talented players are winning with them. That's the only reason their legality is now under scrutiny. That scrutiny will only intensify with each Tour victory by a player using a long putter. And if Tiger finishes 2nd in a Major to a long putter... well we can only speculate about what may happen.

+1...except for the part about wanting Tiger to win. Hard for me to pull for generally miserable people no matter their talents.

I am beginning to think that the main reason I want him to win is so the Golf Channel can move on to something else. I am so sick of hearing about Tiger-who has not won a tournament in 2 years since he ran his SUV into a tree and disclosed numerous affairs-Woods I want to scream. Now they have added a full field to the mix. Tiger-who has not won a full field tournament in 2 years since he ran his SUV into a tree and disclosed numerous affairs-Woods.

I do like to watch him play golf but I find myself increasingly getting irritated by his comments. Passing judgements on Hank Haney's book without reading it, etc.... Once you lose the moral high ground it is difficult for people to give your opinion the same merit as before.

• SPY VIP

I am beginning to think that the main reason I want him to win is so the Golf Channel can move on to something else. I am so sick of hearing about Tiger-who has not won a tournament in 2 years since he ran his SUV into a tree and disclosed numerous affairs-Woods I want to scream. Now they have added a full field to the mix. Tiger-who has not won a full field tournament in 2 years since he ran his SUV into a tree and disclosed numerous affairs-Woods.

I do like to watch him play golf but I find myself increasingly getting irritated by his comments. Passing judgements on Hank Haney's book without reading it, etc.... Once you lose the moral high ground it is difficult for people to give your opinion the same merit as before.

Haney's book is a perfect example of the hypocracy of Tiger Woods. Haney writing a book about his experience with Tiger is unprofessional. Using your agent and other professional staff as travel agents for your bevy of whores...

You get my point.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Haney's book is a perfect example of the hypocracy of Tiger Woods. Haney writing a book about his experience with Tiger is unprofessional. Using your agent and other professional staff as travel agents for your bevy of whores...

You get my point.

I not only get it, it is the point of this thread. He is really only for or against something on how he preceives it helps him. Not that that is so different than anyone elses opinion. Most of us are biased towards how things effect us.

I saw yesterday that Tiger Woods is the second most hated athlete. I heard last month that the Dallas Cowboys were now the least favorite team in the NFL. That would make Tony Romo the most hated quarterback if it were not for the fact that Micheal Vick is the most hated athelete. However, I still want them to win this weekend because I do like Tony Romo. And Tiger winning and getting passed this is good for golf. I wish Tiger would develop a likable personality though.

Tiger doesn't play a 2 iron blade, he's been playing a 2 iron cavity backed prototype for a while. He also switched to graphite in his driver and fairways in 2004, about the time lots of the guys on tour were actually going mainstream with graphite, at least the higher ranked players. As far as being a technology buff, Tiger does know a ton about equipment and gives his input on lots of things that Nike does. He helped them find the first foundry they used, as they used the same one Titleist was using at the time when they put him under contract. It wasn't Miura as some eBay sellers lead people to believe from selling the original forged blades and split cavity protos. No, Miura never forged an iron for Nike (both he and Nike's founder have said as much). He designed the 2 iron prototype he has in his bag now. He helped design some of the fairways they have, the Method was based on his personal tastes, etc. The prototype 2 iron was so pupular that both Anthony Kim and Stuart Cink have one they put in play when conditions dictate that. And as far as rolling back golf balls, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. When courses are having to completely retool themselves just so they're tour ready, it's time to take a look at what the reasoning for that is. It's the golf balls more than anything, IMO.

As far as him commenting in a public setting. Well, Tiger has never been one that didn't give his opinion on certain subjects pertaining to golf. He's also brutally honest and shares his opinions on things they ask like this freely because he knows that because he's Tiger Woods, he can do so. There are a lot more that are in the same boat feelings wise that won't say a word because they aren't Tiger Woods. Doesn't mean they believe it less, just that they know he can speak up without anyone saying anything to him. That's what comes with superstardom.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Tiger doesn't play a 2 iron blade, he's been playing a 2 iron cavity backed prototype for a while. He also switched to graphite in his driver and fairways in 2004, about the time lots of the guys on tour were actually going mainstream with graphite, at least the higher ranked players. As far as being a technology buff, Tiger does know a ton about equipment and gives his input on lots of things that Nike does. He helped them find the first foundry they used, as they used the same one Titleist was using at the time when they put him under contract. It wasn't Miura as some eBay sellers lead people to believe from selling the original forged blades and split cavity protos. No, Miura never forged an iron for Nike (both he and Nike's founder have said as much). He designed the 2 iron prototype he has in his bag now. He helped design some of the fairways they have, the Method was based on his personal tastes, etc. The prototype 2 iron was so pupular that both Anthony Kim and Stuart Cink have one they put in play when conditions dictate that. And as far as rolling back golf balls, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. When courses are having to completely retool themselves just so they're tour ready, it's time to take a look at what the reasoning for that is. It's the golf balls more than anything, IMO.

As far as him commenting in a public setting. Well, Tiger has never been one that didn't give his opinion on certain subjects pertaining to golf. He's also brutally honest and shares his opinions on things they ask like this freely because he knows that because he's Tiger Woods, he can do so. There are a lot more that are in the same boat feelings wise that won't say a word because they aren't Tiger Woods. Doesn't mean they believe it less, just that they know he can speak up without anyone saying anything to him. That's what comes with superstardom.

Tiger did not change to a graphite shaft and 460 club head until the Tour Championship in 2004, but after everyone else. He stated that he did not like it but had to change when everyone else had passed him by.

And you are right that I did not give Tiger credit for knowing about golf technology. Knowing about it and embrassing it are two different things. In the interview from which I took the original quote, it is talking about what has happened at Nike golf and where they were in 2004. Compared to 7 years before they did great things and Tiger was a huge part of it. Tiger talked there about all the things he had done for and with Nike and they for him. And I was wrong if I made it sound like he is an blithering idiot. A spoiled, domineering, controlling, superior golfer athelete who has done more for golf than any one person. But certainly not an idiot. Most of the time.

My point is not that he is not entitled to his opinion, but that his opinion does not carry the same weight, at least with me, now that hia hypocracy has been exposed.

I watched the press conference with Tiger and I still don't get it. Belly putters have been legal for many years and now that someone has won a major with one it is going to be the death of the game. This is something that is legal and anyone in the game can use if they so choose. It is not like only half of the field is allowed to use one technology and the other half of the field has to use something else. This is the same think that Els and Goosen both spoke out against several years back when belly putters started to gain some popularity and now that they both got the jitters they are both using belly putters. I wonder what will happen if either of them happen to win again using a belly putter if they will even acknowledge their past statements? Just like the last time this was in the forefront it will go away and get tabled for another five years.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

If memory serves, Tiger in his hey days used to be the only one playing a shorter ball, one that spun less and did not go as far. In his case the ball worked better because he had a very high swing speed that caused normal balls to balloon. They tried marketing that ball and found it unpopular. Of course, back then a lot of hype about Tiger was being bruited about so I really don't know the truth of the matter. For all I know, if that story was true he might still be playing that ball or might have already gone to normal because he can no longer swing like before. People use what works for them be they professional or amateur.

The long putter does not make sense to me if it cannot be anchored to some part of the upper body. I also doubt that anchoring helps all that much, if at all. I just happen to be of the school that goes for the even shorter putter regardless that I carry a normal length putter. I choke about half the grip as I find that a better way to putt but I don't cut the shaft because the putter would disappear in the bag and be hard to find. I'm ambivalent about the long putter. I might try it someday but am satisfied with what I have right now. In any case, on the green, the problem isn't putting, it's reading the green correctly. We are all equally in trouble with regards to that problem.

Shambles

I watched the press conference with Tiger and I still don't get it. Belly putters have been legal for many years and now that someone has won a major with one it is going to be the death of the game. This is something that is legal and anyone in the game can use if they so choose. It is not like only half of the field is allowed to use one technology and the other half of the field has to use something else. This is the same think that Els and Goosen both spoke out against several years back when belly putters started to gain some popularity and now that they both got the jitters they are both using belly putters. I wonder what will happen if either of them happen to win again using a belly putter if they will even acknowledge their past statements? Just like the last time this was in the forefront it will go away and get tabled for another five years.

+1. This stampede to ban the belly putter just doesn't make sense to me because the evidence doesn't support it. One guy won a major with a belly putter...and? Did they rush to ban non-tradtional putters when people started winning with them?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

+1. This stampede to ban the belly putter just doesn't make sense to me because the evidence doesn't support it. One guy won a major with a belly putter...and? Did they rush to ban non-tradtional putters when people started winning with them?

As a matter of fact I think the R&A banned the mallet putter as non conforming and forbid it's use because some American player was putting too well with it. The ban was lifted shortly thereafter.

Shambles

As a matter of fact I think the R&A banned the mallet putter as non conforming and forbid it's use because some American player was putting too well with it. The ban was lifted shortly thereafter.

Shambles

In 1904 an American named Walter Travis won the British Amateur with a mallet putter. This so enraged the power-that-be at the R&A banned the mallet putter until 1952.

If a belly putter guy wins the Open Championship it is all over. :D

Tiger will have to talk to Pete again.

Articles & Laws in Playing at Golf.

1. You must Tee your Ball within a Club's length of the Hole.

2. Your Tee must be upon the Ground.

3. You are not to change the Ball which you Strike off the Tee.

4. You are not to remove Stones, Bones or any Break Club, for the sake of playing your Ball, Except upon the fair Green and that only / within a Club's length of your Ball.

5. If your Ball comes among watter, or any wattery filth, you are at liberty to take out your Ball & bringing it behind the hazard and Teeing it, you may play it with any Club and allow your Adversary a Stroke for so getting out your Ball.

6. If your Balls be found any where touching one another, You are to lift the first Ball, till you play the last.

7. At Holling, you are to play your Ball honestly for the Hole, and not to play upon your Adversary's Ball, not lying in your way to the Hole.

8. If you should lose your Ball, by it's being taken up, or any other way, you are to go back to the Spot, where you struck last, & drop another Ball, And allow your adversary a Stroke for the misfortune.

9. No man at Holling his Ball, is to be allowed, to mark his way to the Hole with his Club, or anything else.

10. If a Ball be stopp'd by any Person, Horse, Dog or anything else, The Ball so stop'd must be play'd where it lyes.

11. If you draw your Club in Order to Strike, & proceed so far in the Stroke as to be bringing down your Club; If then, your Club shall break, in any way, it is to be Accounted a Stroke.

12. He whose Ball lyes farthest from the Hole is obliged to play first.

13. Neither Trench, Ditch or Dyke, made for the preservation of the Links, nor the Scholar's Holes, or the Soldier's Lines, Shall be accounted a Hazard; But the Ball is to be taken out teed /and play'd with any Iron Club.

John Rattray, Capt

These are the original rules of golf. They were in effect from 1744 to 1899. No where in them does it discuss how one is to swing the club. Nor does it tell how the club is made. It was not until 1897 when they gave the rules and golf over to the R&A. Interestingly enough, the USGA is three years older than the Royal and Ancient Golf Association.

All these rules they come up with to "preserve the game as it was originally intended" are for the most part B.S. The above are the rules that lasted 150 years. Now there is a book and they think they need to meet to see if there are any new rules to establish.

I wouldn't be so mad at him.

Let's face it, a dozen of other guys probably agree with Tiger, but they just don't express it with the same kind of "freedom".

I hate long putters too... not because they give an unfair advantage... they just look ugly to me and not traditional.

If a hybrid or long putter was standing between you and a $2 million check every tournament... wouldn't it bother you just a little?

I know I would :lol:

As the old saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans" As long as it is "legal" I dnt see any problem with the long putters. I actually used a broomhandle for 2 years and went back to a conventinal length. As far as everyday recreational players goes I say if it helps them enjoy the game let them play it no matter what Tiger,The USGA or the Golf Channel thinks!! I have heard several retirees down here say if they ban the long putters they will quit playing the game because they cant put with a conventional putter

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have not even brought up this point on the merits of his solution. It is my understanding, according to the internet, that 80% of all putters sold are 35-36". Since the 60 and 64 degree wedges are 34 1/2" this would render almost all the putters illegal. So his simple solution he proposed does not affect just the people who use long putters, it affects darn near everyone.

Since the "short" putters are affected also, imagine the impact on all the PGA Pros who play a putter longer than their 60* wedge. I bet Tiger's putter is less than 34 1/4".

Wonder if Tiger is sharing his thoughts on the belly putter with Tony Romo?

WITB 2024

Romo is 6 under after three rounds, that is pretty impressive, back to back lip out chips kept him from being -8 and tied with Tiger for a while. For a bit there it looked like Romo should let Tiger use his putter. But Tiger is playing well. We will see tomorrow. But since they do not get any strokes they will have to play extremely well to win as a team. Romo made a lot of pro looking shots.

Romo is 6 under after three rounds, that is pretty impressive, back to back lip out chips kept him from being -8 and tied with Tiger for a while. For a bit there it looked like Romo should let Tiger use his putter. But Tiger is playing well. We will see tomorrow. But since they do not get any strokes they will have to play extremely well to win as a team. Romo made a lot of pro looking shots.

Insane that they are making Romo play at +3.

WITB 2024

Archived