Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Favorite golf podcast?

WaffleHouseTour

Do you take a side in the great Shark vs Polar Bear debate on Chasing Scratch?

Shout “Brendan!” With Andy on the Shotgun Start?

Or dig the melodious intro of the Golfers Journal?

I average about six hours a week of interstate driving so listen to podcasts all the time and I think I’ve tried them all.  Was late to finding Mike and Eli so have been binging them all summer long trying to catch up. And of course when I got to the episode w John Sherman that sent me over to The Sweet Spot where I’ve been picking and choosing for a bit before I go thru an upcoming putter fitting to hear what they have to say about that. 

I got started w the Golfers Journal and No Laying Up (though NLU could limit their pods to something less than an hour. Tried the BarStool Boys for a while but got tired of the juvenile antics. (Some may enjoy, just not for me)  Enjoyed Max Homma and Shane Bacon’s Get A Grip - and while I miss Max’s participation it’s probably better for him to focus on golf so I just root for him. 

So what else is out there? What are you listening to?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

NLU and a lot of it. I'm on the opposite end tho i love the 1+ hour pods because i listen on my way to work and for my start of work which usually is about 2 hours then i have a break till another 2 or 3 hours. I also work alone so throw my headphones on and get to it. Typically i get through 1 nlu pod and a fantasy football pod each morning.

Don't listen to to many others. The golfers journal from time to time, but that's usually about it.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It’s funny Chasing Scratch was mentioned because I tried to get into them in Season 2 and just couldn’t do it. So today on my bike ride I queued up Season 3. Still can’t do it. I don’t find them likable or listenable at all. Their conversations remind me of the crap I get stuck listening to every time I chaperone a bunch of high schoolers stuck on a bus for hours. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, russtopherb said:

conversations remind me of the crap I get stuck listening to every time I chaperone a bunch of high schoolers stuck on a bus for hours

Having never seen Friday Night Lights I had to turn to Google to understand the Kilmer references, so I get that. And I silently yell at them all the time for not following the advice they’ve been given. And their lack of understanding math really astounded me.  But I find it a nice escape. My wife got in the car when I was listening and took her five minutes to say “wait, you’re listening to two average guys recount their round? What is wrong with you?”

Much, apparently. 

I also really like the Fried Egg and how Andy has let his team diversify into some good story telling. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

The Sweet Spot.......recent favorite

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

I have several of them in my library in my phone but, the only one that I listen to religiously is The Par Train. Their conversations and interviews are great IMO. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

2 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

I have several of them in my library in my phone but, the only one that I listen to religiously is The Par Train. Their conversations and interviews are great IMO. 

I’ll give that one a try today.  Follow him on twitter just never tried the pod. 

the problem w all these great pods, how do you find the time???

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I’ll give that one a try today.  Follow him on twitter just never tried the pod. 

the problem w all these great pods, how do you find the time???

I listen to podcasts mostly while driving back and forth to work. I’ve also listened to a few of them while at the driving range but sometimes that can be a not-so-helpful distraction depending on the podcast. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Started with NLU and then got into the Fried Egg podcast but find I enjoy Shotgun Start the most. The only critique I have of Shotgun Start is that it can be a tad negative and complainy but that is how I think Andy and Brendan are wired. Also, Andy will say a golf course "stinks" and then typically not take the time to explain why. I would prefer to know why it stinks! Also, Andy had a long jag about how Pinehurst is only an anchor site for the US Open because they want to advertise their resort and I couldn't disagree more. I feel like if Bandon were an anchor site Andy would love it but for some reason he dislikes the commericial nature of pinehurst. Also, would you rather all these championships be played at Oakmont and Winged Foot where a regular person like me can NEVER get on and play?

All that said, shotgun start is great. I have been listening so long I lead with complaints but really I look forward to it. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

Started with NLU and then got into the Fried Egg podcast but find I enjoy Shotgun Start the most. The only critique I have of Shotgun Start is that it can be a tad negative and complainy but that is how I think Andy and Brendan are wired. Also, Andy will say a golf course "stinks" and then typically not take the time to explain why. I would prefer to know why it stinks! Also, Andy had a long jag about how Pinehurst is only an anchor site for the US Open because they want to advertise their resort and I couldn't disagree more. I feel like if Bandon were an anchor site Andy would love it but for some reason he dislikes the commericial nature of pinehurst. Also, would you rather all these championships be played at Oakmont and Winged Foot where a regular person like me can NEVER get on and play?

All that said, shotgun start is great. I have been listening so long I lead with complaints but really I look forward to it. 

Yeah, he can be a little negative - and he is so good on what is great about various golf courses he does need to explain WHY he doesn't like something.  I've always enjoyed his Yolk w Doak and his YouTube are amazing.  They are often part of my Monday commute

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate this thread. Have been wanting to start listening to a podcast and this gives me some ideas. If you were to pick one for someone just starting to get into the game, what would you recommend?

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

On 7/31/2022 at 2:55 PM, russtopherb said:

It’s funny Chasing Scratch was mentioned because I tried to get into them in Season 2 and just couldn’t do it. So today on my bike ride I queued up Season 3. Still can’t do it. I don’t find them likable or listenable at all. Their conversations remind me of the crap I get stuck listening to every time I chaperone a bunch of high schoolers stuck on a bus for hours. 

So I’ve been listening to more of season 3 and it’s grown on me. I still can’t stand the “Lenny queue the blank music” every other minute but it’s gotten better. Still have a few seasons to catch up on so we’ll see. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Appreciate this thread. Have been wanting to start listening to a podcast and this gives me some ideas. If you were to pick one for someone just starting to get into the game, what would you recommend?

It all depends on what you want out of it… what are you looking for?

Improve your own game?  I’ve recently gotten into The Sweet Spot w Jon Sherman and Adam Young - especially for the mental side of the game.  I also recently got turned onto The Par Train which is pretty good for the toughest four inches…

Like tour coverage? Shotgun Start or No Laying Up

Architecture and history? The Fried Egg

Just good stories - try The Golfers Journal

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Improve your own game?  I’ve recently gotten into The Sweet Spot w Jon Sherman and Adam Young - especially for the mental side of the game.  I also recently got turned onto The Par Train which is pretty good for the toughest four inches…

I'm going to +1 The Sweet Spot, I think Jon and Adam do an excellent job helping golfers with the game without getting them lost on numerous swing thoughts. I also recently bought Jon's book  The Four Foundations of Golf

Thanks for recommending The Par Train, I've never listened to it, but I'll give it a go. I've recently been listening to Golf Science Lab, but mostly they play episodes of the Tour Coach. Not a bad podcast, but I'm pretty disappointed they do that rather than their own content. 

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Thanks for recommending The Par Train, I've never listened to it, but I'll give it a go.

They’ve been around since 2016, but I just discovered them thanks to @parfore74x I’ve been picking and choosing looking for the mental game and smart strategy.  Looks like they have some good interviews too.

15 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I think I’ll check out the Sweet Spot and just started No Laying Up. 

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

The Fried Egg just had an anti-trust lawyer on to discuss the TRO and anti-trust suit.  Interesting.  Better to have an expert on then just listen to the podcasters opine on what they think or what someone told them. 

Now is a great time to try (get on) the Par Train. Their 200th episode is a “best of” with excerpts from the previous 100 episodes. Once you get past the ad reads and self congratulations it’s pretty good and you can decide if you want to go back and listen to the ones they highlight. 

• 2 weeks later...

The only one I listen to regularly is No Laying Up.  I am subscribed to Rick Shiels, Shotgun Start, and Erik Anders Lang as well, but don't always get a chance to listen to them.  I'll have to add a few of the others commented to my list 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• 4 months later...

Quite enjoyed the newer Peter Finch Rough Cut podcast. I am a Finch fan, but he has a good crew with him and sounds good. The video with it is nice as well for those who want to enhance the experience. They go over a ton of topics and yeah props to them good listen!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan of The Golfers Journal podcasts, it may not be everyones speed, but has a lot of good guests, stories and more. Really enjoyed this one as a basketball fan and someone who always like have JJ on my 2K squad. 

image.png

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Big fan of TGJ. 

Just discovered Hack It Out Golf w Lou Stagner Mark Crossfield and Greg Chalmers. Heavy on stats and expectations...  Unlike some podcasts that can run almost two hours and go down some non-golf rabbit holes (I'm looking at you NLU & SGS) these guys keep them to about 45 minutes.   I am always interested in Lou Stagners data he puts on twitter so I thought I'd give it a go. 

4 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Big fan of TGJ. 

Just discovered Hack It Out Golf w Lou Stagner Mark Crossfield and Greg Chalmers. Heavy on stats and expectations...  Unlike some podcasts that can run almost two hours and go down some non-golf rabbit holes (I'm looking at you NLU & SGS) these guys keep them to about 45 minutes.   I am always interested in Lou Stagners data he puts on twitter so I thought I'd give it a go. 

I know length can be a topic which some are on both sides. I love the long ones, but I can listen to them while I work so it is great to help pass time and more. 

Looking forward to what they can do with NPG this year and hopefully spice it up a bit and bring some exciting forum content to the podcast again!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I really enjoy the “Hack it out” podcast. Some great topics and data points. 

Callaway epic max driver

cobra rad speed fairway woods

Mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pro

Cleveland CBX wedges

Cleveland Huntington Beach putter

Been on Chasing Scratch since the beginning and cant stop now.  It is pretty remarkable the tools and equipment they have gotten access to during their journey.  I really hope they can begin to see some results soon, not only for the sake of the show but for the sake of myself.

I've always thought with a true commitment to practice and preparation I could be scratch or near scratch one day, and they are proving me wrong in that assumption.

But I do find them way more relatable than some of the other podcasts that are more or less "tour focused"

Edited by DeBartola_B

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

Hack it out ,Sub par , No putts given and No laying up . As an aside my second favourite sport is hockey and Spitting Chiclets is a good one as they associate themselves with golf . Whitney and Bisonette video golf matches they have against a lot of current and retired nhl players . Alcohol and strong language are involved, so if you don’t like that stay away .

I drive around 2 hours per day round trip and listen to a ton.  NLU is great but very long format.  Hack it Out Golf is great for a much shorter listen but would suggest you start with season two when they dumped Scott Fawcett and added Greg Chalmers.  Another enjoyable but long format is Sky Sports Golf.

Callaway Big Bertha irons, 20ish years old

Rogue driver, used

Vockey 56

Oddyesy putter

not in any particular order...

Son of A Butch.

Tour Coach.

Hack it Out.

The Sweet Spot.

Kostic and Mccord.

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*