TESTERS WANTED! ×

The build begins, component club.

A J Ziggy

The time has come to leave steel shafts in the big stick behind. I have never been happy with graphite in the past, but with a long hiatus the swing speed has dropped to 97 to 101 or let's just call it 99 mph. I've left the 9° driver head behind. I picked up one of each 10 degree head from golf works and enough shafts to build them several ways. 75 NV, 75  HZRDUS, and leftover VS Proto. Don't hear much about Maltby components so I'm looking forward to Y alls Input. 

So now for the build parameters. Cut length 43.25. overall length 43.5. swing weight D2 to D4. So with the graphite shaft that's going to take a lot of added weight. With maltby components I can add 6 G to the Head and let's see 6 G to the shaft with a lead 6 G weight, so with the starting weight of at least 200 g of head I can get to the desired parameters. When was the last time you built a 43.5 overall driver for a customer?

So now that I've got a couple built. I may ruffle a few feathers. Before I start whacking the ball into the big screen that tells me everything I need to know, I take them out to the driving range. At my trivial 99 mph club head speed I require at least a 230 yard carry. Now many may say that you need to have a lot of roll to make 260 yards with that carry and I agree. But on the screen you can dial up the smash factor to whatever you want, and then the rollout comes as it comes. But if you have wet fairways or hard dry Florida fairways roll is inconsistent at best. At Royal dornik I had to use a 3 iron cuz my trivial 2 wood could not stay on the Green at the first hole. So while I agree that the electronic magic is wonderful, like Hogan you got to hit it out of the dirt to find out what's really happening.YMMV.

So now for the big screen folks. Once again I spent a little time with Jon on at masterfit golf. Sorry if I'm not supposed to name names or drop names. My angle of attack varies from plus one if I tee it forward of my left heel or level if I play it dead on my heel. So perhaps it's time that I took a little input from the big screen folks to see which way I should go? The 10.5 isot driver head with the vs Proto 60 R flex is just knocking the ball way too high and can barely keep 220 yards Worth to carry at the range. Yet I put a 75 HZRDUS 6.0 with the 6 G shaft weight and didn't tip trim it into the 11.5 ISO-T driver head and it's easily carrying 230 yd. It's not a normal combination, so I love some introspective from folks that live on the big screen. I'll be awaiting y'all's response, thank you very much in advance.

So now I need some help from the real experts. I've played 120 to 90 G steel shafts most of my life, perhaps that is why the 70 plus gram sub 3 torque shafts in the driver feel better to me? But if I use 70 G shaft in my Driver, are 70 G shafts going to feel heavy enough in my fairway woods?

6 hours ago, A J Ziggy said:

So now I need some help from the real experts. I've played 120 to 90 G steel shafts most of my life, perhaps that is why the 70 plus gram sub 3 torque shafts in the driver feel better to me? But if I use 70 G shaft in my Driver, are 70 G shafts going to feel heavy enough in my fairway woods?

Those are the tough questions that usually result in your going to have to try it and see kind of answer.   I believe it will come down to how sensitive you are to weight.  My shaft weighting is all over the  place and I don’t follow the normal get heavier as you progress through the set and I don’t believe I have issues based on the club weight.  If I want to a professionals fitter and we really dig into the numbers we might see something that matters.  If your asking for common convention you should probably be 80gr range in the fairways with a 70gr driver.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, A J Ziggy said:

Maybe, maybe not. Some people can play same weight in woods as driver. I have done it twice once was with the ust helium prototype when it first came out. Only change made to either club was Danny le at UST added some hot melt to driver to add weight after cutting shaft down a bit.

Other time was with Bridgestone woods in 2015 when I was using my buddies 5w in a softer flex but same weight as driver. Surprisingly that combo worked out ok.

Some people are more sensitive to other to weight changes and how shaft and head feel than others.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, A Ziggy said:

So perhaps it's time that I took a little input from the big screen folks to see which way I should go? The 10.5 isot driver head with the vs Proto 60 R flex is just knocking the ball way too high and can barely keep 220 yards Worth to carry at the range. Yet I put a 75 HZRDUS 6.0 with the 6 G shaft weight and didn't tip trim it into the 11.5 ISO-T driver head and it's easily carrying 230 yd. It's not a normal combination, so I love some introspective from folks that live on the big screen. I'll be awaiting y'all's response, thank you very much in advance.

Without actual numbers from a launch monitor really can’t say what’s happening. Way to high tells me nothing. Most ams think they hit the ball to high and really don’t hit it high enough. So does the ball reach its apex and then balloon up and fall out of the sky? Or is it the ball reaches its apex and rides it? If it’s ballooning then that’s too much spin. This could be the shaft is causing you to make a swing that causes low strikes or that your adding loft. With other numbers hard to say.

For the hzrdus setup it could be the right fit or possibly you are just hitting more low bullets and could actually get a little more out of it what a slightly softer feeling shaft. Again without numbers can’t say what’s happening or why

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I took My Old Drivers when I went to Masterfit so that I could determine what Father Time had done to my full swing. For some reason there ain't allot of 43.5 OAL Drivers in the demo bag. YMMV. So I do my testing on the range, it fits my schedule better. The vs Proto with the 10.5 head has a higher flight than the HZRDUS with an 11.5 head. I carry the 230 yd with the hazardous setup but I cannot carry  230 yards with the 10.5 and VS Proto setup. The vs has 3.2 torque while the black has 2.9 torque. The black is low launch, while the vs is more mid launch. I have found in the past that low to mid launch shafts work well on my fairway woods while low launching shafts better fit my driver. It will take more testing and building, once I find something that's close to working then I'll take it back to master fit for fine-tuning. Not sure if that's the best way, but with my schedule it's the easiest way for me. Once again thank you folks for the input. More mines make for better problem solving. JMHO.

26 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

The vs has 3.2 torque while the black has 2.9 torque. The black is low launch, while the vs is more mid launch. I have found in the past that low to mid launch shafts work well on my fairway woods while low launching shafts better fit my driver.

Most brands don’t sell drivers under 45” so finding one that is 43.5 length with shaft installed is going to be hard unless you find one that somebody has made to that length.

Torque values are irrelevant because like flex there is no standard in the industry and each company measured differently and with different machines. So unless you know for sure the two brands use the exact same machine and measure the exact same way they are apples to oranges comparison and also not even a remotely good way to pick a shaft.

The launch labels on a shaft also are pretty irrelevant because there’s no data to say what the launch and spin of each are, it’s just the marketing label a company uses and what may be low for one company isn’t low for another. Also shafts themselves don’t launch or spin. The way a person swing the club will determine how the club is delivered and that will determine launch and spin. 

The important things to look at are shaft weight and find a weight that feels good. Then within that find a profile and flex profile that feels good. 

It’s possible the hzrdus shaft weigh and profile works better with your swing. Not sure what hzrdus shaft you because you haven’t stated the model, but here’s and example of why low/low isn’t a great way to determine what shaft to use. 

Typically this refers to stiffer tipped shafts and unless comparing the stiffness on a chart between them that still doesn’t tell you much. 

Hzrdus black lineup, hzrdus green and hzrdus yellow/rdx blue are all low/low.  The profile of each line is completely different from the other. The yellow/blue is counterbalanced and the green is slightly counterbalanced. How these shafts feel could impact how the golfer swings. I know for me I swing the black the worst, despite the green being lower launch and spin compared to black by design I hit the green beater.

Just one point that may be overlooked. 

An advantage to graphite in driver is that you can often control a longer shaft. You might consider 44.5 if you were gaming 43.5 in steel.

Had to throw that out for your consideration. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

Just one point that may be overlooked. 

An advantage to graphite in driver is that you can often control a longer shaft. You might consider 44.5 if you were gaming 43.5 in steel.

Had to throw that out for your consideration. 

Tried that at Masterfit, with my Old flat in to out swing, I got nothing but heel hits.

58 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

Tried that at Masterfit, with my Old flat in to out swing, I got nothing but heel hits.

Cool 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Once upon a time I was 5'8 and 165 lb naval Air crewman. Nowadays I'm a lot closer to 5'7 and 140 lb of old man. At least the Doc's are 😁. Gone are the days when I swing my Tony Pina persimmon woods at 106 to 113 miles per hour. Today 97 to 101 and 99 is my consistent swing speed. I guess I just can't control the shaft it's longer than 43 and a half inches very well, over 50 years with this length club has kind of grooved my swing a little.LOL.

1 hour ago, A J Ziggy said:

HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 flex not tipped but with the 6G shaft weight 1/4 inch less hosel, it plays a little bit softer.

What does 1/4” less hosel mean.

Also very interesting you are in a hzrdus black 75 6.0 with 99mph swing speed. I know guys who have 110+ swing that this shaft and the 60g version don’t fit because their launch and spin are way too low. But most people who typically play this shaft have 110+ swing speed.

I would love to see launch monitor numbers with this combo.

Is this the original hzrdus black, the smoke black or the smoke black rdx?

Do you have a quick transition.

Also c

On 8/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, A J Ziggy said:

So now for the big screen folks. Once again I spent a little time with Jon on at masterfit golf. Sorry if I'm not supposed to name names or drop names. My angle of attack varies from plus one if I tee it forward of my left heel or level if I play it dead on my heel. So perhaps it's time that I took a little input from the big screen folks to see which way I should go? The 10.5 isot driver head with the vs Proto 60 R flex is just knocking the ball way too high and can barely keep 220 yards Worth to carry at the range. Yet I put a 75 HZRDUS 6.0 with the 6 G shaft weight and didn't tip trim it into the 11.5 ISO-T driver head and it's easily carrying 230 yd. It's not a normal combination, so I love some introspective from folks that live on the big screen. I'll be awaiting y'all's response, thank you very much in advance.

what are you using to measure carry at the range?

A 6 G shaft weight usually has one quarter of an inch worth of head, when installing this you would normally trim one quarter of an inch off the tip to maintain the exact same shaft profile. I'm sure you've heard of tipping shafts to make them firmer, which is cutting more often is recommended. Well by not cutting the quarter inch off for the shaft weight it effectively softens the flex.I have a long tempo swing with an abrupt start to the downswing

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Also c

what are you using to measure carry at the range?

It depends on which range I'm at. At the naval base the boxes are fixed and there is a chain link fence at 230 yards if you hit the fence on the fly you've carried 230 yards if it bounces to the fence you haven't. At Bent Creek they have simulated greens with yardage flag sticks, carry the ball past the flag stick you've made 230 if it bounces in front of the flag stick you haven't. I tend to error on the simple side. LOL.

49 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

It depends on which range I'm at. At the naval base the boxes are fixed and there is a chain link fence at 230 yards if you hit the fence on the fly you've carried 230 yards if it bounces to the fence you haven't. At Bent Creek they have simulated greens with yardage flag sticks, carry the ball past the flag stick you've made 230 if it bounces in front of the flag stick you haven't. I tend to error on the simple side. LOL.

Depending on where you hit the fence you could be carrying more than 230 but I get what you are saying.

55 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

A 6 G shaft weight usually has one quarter of an inch worth of head, when installing this you would normally trim one quarter of an inch off the tip to maintain the exact same shaft profile. I'm sure you've heard of tipping shafts to make them firmer, which is cutting more often is recommended. Well by not cutting the quarter inch off for the shaft weight it effectively softens the flex.I have a long tempo swing with an abrupt start to the downswing

So a quick transition, which is usually who a black will fit but at 75g and 6.0 typical isn’t an effective shaft for a 99mph swing speed but then again swing speed isn’t one of the factors in determine shaft. I’m still curious about numbers. 1/4” on driver shafts really isn’t going to have much effect on shaft flex in a driver.

Iirc it takes 1” to reduce cpm by 5 and it takes 10-15 com reduction to equal a full flex change.

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Depending on where you hit the fence you could be carrying more than 230 but I get what you are saying.

I wonder what kind of smash Factor you have to put into the machines in order to carry the ball 230 yards with a 99 mph swing?

13 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

I wonder what kind of smash Factor you have to put into the machines in order to carry the ball 230 yards with a 99 mph swing?

It’s more than smash. Launch angle and spin play a roll too. 

Per trackman, if you can generate 140 mph ball speed (which you can do with 95mph club head speed and a great strike), have the right spin and launch, you can carry it 230

image.png.1e182cc1709c8a44c42face7e0179865.png

36 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

I’m not looking for computer generated numbers. I’m curious about the numbers you are actually generating when you make contact with the ball with both setups.

I want to see your launch, spin, peak height, land angle, dynamic loft, aoa. These tell the story of what the ball is doing 

I can answer some of that with the info I got using my Old 9 degree metal shafted Drivers from Masterfit. AOA was level to 1 degree up swing with either driver. Dynamic Loft was about 13. Aren't all those numbers computer generated when your swinging into a big screen? 

8 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

I can answer some of that with the info I got using my Old 9 degree metal shafted Drivers from Masterfit. AOA was level to 1 degree up swing with either driver. Dynamic Loft was about 13. Aren't all those numbers computer generated when your swinging into a big screen? 

What type of launch monitor were you hitting on

what was your ball speed

Don’t need dynamic loft, need launch angle

and spin

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

What type of launch monitor were you hitting on

what was your ball speed

Don’t need dynamic loft, need launch angle

and spin

I don't know. What I did learn was that with the VP82 9 Degree & DG-S300 .335 I was only carrying 224 yards on the big screen. While the CT 250 8.5 & TX-90 .350 was 227. Neither of which are currently well matched to my lower swing speed.

44 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

They are computer generated by what the monitor captures from your swing.

you can’t assume that your driver swing with either of the combos you have are the same and produce the same results, that’s why you can’t just plug in a smash factor to get a carry distance and use your old steel shafted driver numbers.

Yet, since I no longer hit the fence on the fly with either of the Old steel shafted Drivers, or the 10.5 VS Proto shafted Driver, is it safe to assume that they are not the one? Masterfit suggested 9.5-10.5 Head at current 99 mph club head speed. The ISO-T head is advertised as Low Launch Low Spin. So far the 11.5 with the HZRDUS 75 6.0 soft stepped outperforms all the other options. While the 75 NV's all have higher deviation specs after puring than those already assembled, I shall endeavor to press on in the dirt to discover if they perform better in my hands than the HZRDUS 75 with an 11.5 head. Once I've done the experimentation in the dirt, then I can take it to the Big Screen to be fine tuned. Which is really more relevant, whacking the Big Screen or hitting it out of the dirt?