Golf index?

A J Ziggy

AMA

So if you've taken a 10-year hiatus. And you haven't played around in a decade. Just what USGA index are you supposed to put on your profile? Some of us old sandbaggers might say maximum handicap Plus. Then you Sub-Zero golfers might have to whip Us by a lot while we sit at the seniors tee. I think I can live with two strokes a hole from the seniors tee against you youngsters from the tournament tees. But to honestly answer the question without playing around for that long would simply be just lying. It's like not counting strokes and taking Mulligans, just something you don't do in a tournament.JMHO.

• Hmmm 1

11 questions for this AMA

Go play 10 rounds and let USGA figuring out for you. In our group we had some guys that didn't have handicaps and they would ask him what they scored and give them an estimated cap. It's usually a little low but not too low but it's not your opponent's problem and getting two strokes a hole is a little excessive. I play with the worst of golfers and they only get two strokes a hole on a few holes. Basically comes down to that you are a liability and without knowing what you shoot at all, it's no fun for someone to give you a bunch of strokes and have you beating him on every hole. Plus, you getting beat because of your inaccurate handicap gives you incentive to get some scores in and get an actual handicap that applies to your game.

Edited by Muckinfiddle
  • Like 3

I'm lazy at interneting...

10 hours ago, A Ziggy said:

But to honestly answer the question without playing around for that long would simply be just lying.

Use the "~" sign, which indicates "about".  But in MGS, you don't need an exact handicap, we're not playing each other for money.  A handicap in your profile really only serves to let others know the general state of your game.  I often forget to update my handicap for weeks at a time, it can be off by a full stroke, or even more.  I'm not lying, I'm just forgetful (or lazy, you pick).

• Like 6

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 hours ago, A Ziggy said:

Just what USGA index are you supposed to put on your profile?

Ah I missed this. Half asleep without glasses.  Not required to answer the question. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 8:58 AM, Muckinfiddle said:

Ah I missed this. Half asleep without glasses.  Not required to answer the question. 

So I played one round at fiddler's Green which used to be a Navy course at Cecil Field in florida. The course is wide open, and I won't comment on the Green condition. It's a par 72, with four par five, and I now play from the seniors tees. first round in 10 years, shot 89 attested. Only part the par fives. 40 putts, one thing about my game putting still hasn't changed it sucks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, A J Ziggy said:

So I played one round at fiddler's Green which used to be a Navy course at Cecil Field in florida. The course is wide open, and I won't comment on the Green condition. It's a par 72, with four par five, and I now play from the seniors tees. first round in 10 years, shot 89 attested. Only part the par fives. 40 putts, one thing about my game putting still hasn't changed it sucks.

Sounds like you are about a 15. Considering the reviews on how bad the course is, you may be better than that...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

Sounds like you are about a 15. Considering the reviews on how bad the course is, you may be better than that...

Lee T got in my wallet at Hyde Park and I needed to give him strokes with his USGA Index.O think he won that Tourney once upon a time? I could shoot 140 on a tight course,what about a simple 2 dollar Nassau scratch? I won't BS you, like Star wars I played with a couple of Pros a long, long, long time ago. Won a little, lost more. But from the Senior Tee, well what's your handicap and how thick is your wallet? Why is my reputation based on current opinion? Can't we just agree to a 2 dollar Nassue when meeting on first tee?

6 hours ago, A J Ziggy said:

Since I'm now my spouse's caregiver, I'll never be able to play weekly again or ever compete in a sanctioned tournament, so how relevant is my golf index actually going to be?

If you don't care, we don't care.  But in a discussion about golf among golfers who (mostly) have never met one another, understanding an individual's golfing history and general skill level can help the others to understand his viewpoints better.  

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Since I'm now my spouse's caregiver, I'll never be able to play weekly again or ever compete in a sanctioned tournament, so how relevant is my golf index actually going to be?

It's relevant to testing and reviewing equipment on here for ability comparison. Maybe some will have some opinions personally but who knows. It's no big deal, do whatever you want. No need to take offense.

• Like 4

It is just a number to give people and indicator of your skill level.  You can even leave it blank as the majority don’t really care and most know that just being a low or high handicapper doesn’t produce or limit the knowledge one possesses.   Most of us are just here to talk about all things golf related 

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/5/2022 at 2:06 AM, A J Ziggy said:

Way more important than a handicap will be that this is a place you can come from time to time to unwind.  Being a full time care giver is a difficult and fulfilling vocation (I have a disabled child).  You will need occasional breaks.  We're always here for that.  

As for your handicap, who cares really?  On MGS it only really matters if you are applying for a test that says - "must have under or above a certain index number."  Those opportunities are rare.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway.