Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The Club or Set of Clubs You Just Can't Part With

@A Ziggy's post earlier today it started me to think about clubs that I haven't used in years that I just can't and/or won't part with.  You know the one's I'm talking about!  That precious set of irons hidden safely in your basement or putter tucked away in a shed.  Maybe you feel they are (or will be) a collector's item?   Maybe they are so sentimental that you just can't get rid of them?  Whatever the reason, how about sharing that club or set of clubs that you just can't part with.

I'll start!  I have a full set of the original Ping Eye 2's with the initial "V" grooves that I've had since early to mid 1980's.  When I say full set, I mean have all the irons from 1 iron through lob wedge, including a matching Beryllium Copper sand wedge.  I remember actually getting fit for them:  green dot, 0.25" long.   I believe all but the 1 iron (and maybe the lob wedge) have matching serial numbers too.  It was my first set of "real" golf clubs that I ever bought after starting my engineering career in 1980.  Even though it's been over 25 years since I played with them, I just can't seem to let them go.  

Of course, like many of you I have a collection of drivers and putters squirreled away just in case in case my current gamers decide to not deliver.  I'd give (most) them up in a second.  But there's something special about those Ping Eye2's!

How about yours?

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Macgregor VFoil M765 irons. For some reason they have the best shape of any "blade" irons I've used and the tech was extremely advanced for the time. If you read how they were made it sounds like something that was released this year. 

"MacGregor uses two different types of forged steel in these irons. The 3-6 irons are crafted from forged 1045 Carbon Steel and the 7-PW are crafted from forged 1025 Carbon Steel. The 1045 steel is a harder metal, more suitable for low spin and more distance. The 1025 steel is a softer metal to give you more feel, spin and distance control on your shorter shots. Perhaps it is just me, but I like the feel of the long irons better than the shorter clubs in this set.

The faces of the irons are constructed with harder metal in the center and softer metal around the outside. They call this “V-Foil Speed” technology. The softer outside increases feel and power for off center shots. The off-center shots I hit didn’t feel terrible like a typical blade.

The set employs a variable muscle-back weighting technology. What that means is the muscle back progressively gets bigger the longer the iron. There are internal Tungsten weight cylinders positioned in the back toe and heel of the 3- and 4-iron.

The faces of the irons really caught my eye. They have your standard grooves, but when I first glanced at the clubs I thought I’d seen an optical illusion. For a second I swear I saw a rainbow on the club face. No, wait, I did see a rainbow! There is a very light series of arches in a rainbow shape literally milled right into the face of the club. You can really see it when the light is just at the right angle. I began to wonder if this was even legal but I suppose it is. MacGregor mills this rainbow into the face at 1/1000 of an inch. They call these lines “U-Groove Scoring Lines.”

image.png.b905a2644ca4e7a1b835245836c61cb6.png

My bag is a revolving door!

On 8/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, Golf2Much said:

@A Ziggy's post earlier today it started me to think about clubs that I haven't used in years that I just can't and/or won't part with.  You know the one's I'm talking about!  That precious set of irons hidden safely in your basement or putter tucked away in a shed.  Maybe you feel they are (or will be) a collector's item?   Maybe they are so sentimental that you just can't get rid of them?  Whatever the reason, how about sharing that club or set of clubs that you just can't part with.

I'll start!  I have a full set of the original Ping Eye 2's with the initial "V" grooves that I've had since early to mid 1980's.  When I say full set, I mean have all the irons from 1 iron through lob wedge, including a matching Beryllium Copper sand wedge.  I remember actually getting fit for them:  green dot, 0.25" long.   I believe all but the 1 iron (and maybe the lob wedge) have matching serial numbers too.  It was my first set of "real" golf clubs that I ever bought after starting my engineering career in 1980.  Even though it's been over 25 years since I played with them, I just can't seem to let them go.  

Of course, like many of you I have a collection of drivers and putters squirreled away just in case in case my current gamers decide to not deliver.  I'd give (most) them up in a second.  But there's something special about those Ping Eye2's!

How about yours?

I also have the Ping Eye2’s. They were my fathers I used them when I first started playing golf in 2007 and I have to say every once in awhile I look at them and want to hit em again. 

“If I had it to do all over again, I’d still hit that shot.” – Roy McAvoy

None for me, but I play with a guy who won't part with his beryllium Ping Eye 2's. His whole bag is Mavrik Max, but he still carriers/uses the beryllium wedge all the time - and he says he has the rest of the iron set at home in a closet.

I also know a few guys who still use ancient putters of various types. One has a very old heel weighted (I think it's an 8802) putter that he putts miserably with - why he doesn't drop that putter is beyond me as the entire rest of his game is much better than most. He replaces other clubs almost annually, yet holds on to an old putter he knows he's no good with. I guess he's firmly convinced it's not "the arrow"...🙄

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

None. If need be for any reason any club I have can be sold or traded in easily. That goes for my super rat or my custom Ping pld 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My Nike Sasquatch 3w. I can't seem to get rid of it. Bought it used for $15 and I've never found a better fairway wood for me. Even got a fitting and nothing performed better than my old faithful. 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST ♢♢♢ LS 9º, CK Pro White X-stiff

:nike-small: SasQuatch 3w, Diamana X-stiff

:titleist-small: U-505 2I, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:mizuno-small: Pro 221 4i-PW, PX LS 6.5 

:taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 50-54-60, S400

:bettinardi-small: Queen B 6

:callaway-small:Chrome Soft X LS 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of my dad’s old irons. Nothing big name. they’re Cleveland Quad Pros. Not the longest but they sure do get the ball up in the air easily. I try to play them once or twice a year.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft