TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bigger news ... Phil's 64 or Tiger's 75?

Moecat

Phil's game was absolutely top form and was a ton of fun to watch, especially his 25+ foot putts that he made look like they were tap ins. I quickly wrote off Tiger once he started missing short putts.

I don't particularly think Tiger's performance was a big deal, he's not a god. Everyone has good and bad days. The fact that he's been in pretty strong contention in every one of his tournaments since he came back from injury in Australia is a far more relevant data point.

If I were to guess of a repeat performance between the two, I doubt either will do that again.

Tiger and Romo finished 23 under. Tiger was -8. Romo was -15. That means Romo would have finished T2 if he were a pro. That is huge. Probably not as huge of Tiger falling apart.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Tiger and Romo finished 23 under. Tiger was -8. Romo was -15. That means Romo would have finished T2 if he were a pro. That is huge. Probably not as huge of Tiger falling apart.

-15 NET from forward tees

Tiger's a choker now and Phil just took him to the wood shed! Nobody would've beat Phil yesterday, nobody...

Isn't that with Romo's handicap?

Tiger losing it on Sundays, a ig story, but I prefer to focus on the good.

Phil was on fire, those two monster par putts, just when it looked like he was coming back to the field! Wi refocuses and finishes strong, good for him. Phil's game was great to watch, man was he striking the ball well! Good for Phil, and good for golf!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Phil's 64 was the biggest news and proves he is still one of the best players in the world. And I'm very pleased he did it with his standard length putter. Tiger could have shot another 67 like he did on Saturday and that wouldn't have been good enough to beat Phil. (And don't forget that Romo was playing from the amateur tees. His play was impressive but don't assume that would translate to a T2 finish.)

• SPY VIP

I definitely think that Tigers 75 is the bigger story. He has been in contention going into Sunday a lot lately and then completely collapsing. I have never counted Phil out, no matter how far back he is, he's ballsy enough to attempt any shot at any time.

It definitely proves the point that Tiger has yet to truly turn the proverbial corner. Right now he's one of the best 3 day golfers in the world. While that would be a nice to win at most club championships in the country, on the PGA tour, 75 on a Sunday is never going to get it done.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

It's a best ball format, not a congregate score. On Thursday they put up a 65 together and Tiger shot a 68 alone. I know Romo said he played "horrible" Thursday, but threw in a few pars and birdies when Tiger didn't.

Isn't that with Romo's handicap?

Romo is a scratch golfer.

Yeah, I know that is not T2 but it was still impressive. I have yet to find out what Romo actually shot. I see that he had 11 birdies but accounted for 15 strokes. Since he was not getting any than he must have had two eagles, but I have not found anywhere that publishes his score card. But no matter what, it is impressive. So what if he played from the forward tees. They were not that much shorter. But I concede that Romo's pressure was probably infinately great on Thursday thru Saturday. Sunday he never had a chance. Tiger's pressure was greater on Sunday.

I hope the bigger story is Phil. He is a very likeable guy and I have no problems cheering for him. I am not a fan of his clothes style. He looks like he just left his day job driving a delivery truck and came out to the course.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I certainly didn't expect such performance from Phil. Who would have thought that guy was tinkering with a broomstick a few tournaments ago???

I'm not a Phil fan, but the way he was playing yesterday, nobody could have beaten him.

Tiger... maybe he should change his shirt on Sundays? Red is not working anymore :lol: But come on! I want to see this guy dominating again!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yeah, I know that is not T2 but it was still impressive. I have yet to find out what Romo actually shot. I see that he had 11 birdies but accounted for 15 strokes. Since he was not getting any than he must have had two eagles, but I have not found anywhere that publishes his score card. But no matter what, it is impressive. So what if he played from the forward tees.

He himself said that he had a lot of birdies, but he also had a lot of "others". I haven't seen a scorecard for the team, but I did seen Romo in an interview talking about how he played.

Saw an interesting tweet this morning. Paraphrasing: "Tiger is tipping his cap to the galleries after BOGEY. He is trying to be someone that other people want him to be instead of being himself. He won't win this way."

I tend to agree. I know it turns a lot of people off, but he needs to go back to being how he was before. The world does not want a kinder, gentler Tiger Woods if that version doesn't win.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Saw an interesting tweet this morning. Paraphrasing: "Tiger is tipping his cap to the galleries after BOGEY. He is trying to be someone that other people want him to be instead of being himself. He won't win this way."

I tend to agree. I know it turns a lot of people off, but he needs to go back to being how he was before. The world does not want a kinder, gentler Tiger Woods if that version doesn't win.

I think I agree with you on this one. I've never had a problem with how Tiger has conducted himself on the course. He's never been fan-friendly, but he's focus was unmatched.

My issue has always been what happens after the round is over. Evasive (and/or douchy) press conference...goes out of his way to avoid fans, etc. There was no need to change who he was on the course...he'll never be like Phil, and trying only makes it worse.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived