Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Zebra Putters are back?

MyWifesSwingCoach

I posted this in "What equipment are you thinking about" but I figured starting a whole new thread in "Putter Buzz" would be appropriate for more discussion.

As stated in the title, Zebra Putters are back lol According to the article I read (Link below) it looks like zebra was purchased by "Golf Brands Inc." and is currently only available in the U.K. but they are working on International shipping.

image.png.3db1864f91735e6fd21688f54d89438c.png

https://www.zebragolf.co.uk/

https://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/start-striping-your-putts-all-new-zebra-range

So, what do you guys think? I have never played the original zebra putters but I have seen many of them. For the guys that have played them, what do you think about this new line?

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

3 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I posted this in "What equipment are you thinking about" but I figured starting a whole new thread in "Putter Buzz" would be appropriate for more discussion.

As stated in the title, Zebra Putters are back lol According to the article I read (Link below) it looks like zebra was purchased by "Golf Brands Inc." and is currently only available in the U.K. but they are working on International shipping.

image.png.3db1864f91735e6fd21688f54d89438c.png

https://www.zebragolf.co.uk/

https://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/start-striping-your-putts-all-new-zebra-range

So, what do you guys think? I have never played the original zebra putters but I have seen many of them. For the guys that have played them, what do you think about this new line?

Always interesting when I see old brands emerge again.  In my opinion these are zebra in name only.  When I think of zebra this is what comes to my mind and always will  

image.jpeg.f8eb2f3485998fd0ab6f7e0517aeeac2.jpeg

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is interesting......I was just thinking about Zebra putters this past week as I played in New Albany, IN with my extended family.  There was a Zebra putter in the group.  Good to here they are coming back.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

This is interesting......I was just thinking about Zebra putters this past week as I played in New Albany, IN with my extended family.  There was a Zebra putter in the group.  Good to here they are coming back.

While it does look like they are using the name recognition, I would consider it a decent sign that they are also trying to put out a good product by having Odysseys Austie Rollinson as the designer.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

I received an orginal Zebra for Christmas (by request) back when it was released... man I loved that putter.  I remember going to my course and shoveling a path through the snow on Christmas Day to test it out.  I have since evolved to a blade style putter but this brings back some good memories.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Those actually look kind of...great? Lol. I have no experience with the originals (though that picture @cnosilposted genuinely made me laugh - that thing was well. loved. (or hated...geez that's a lot of dings)), but the price-point is pretty great for what looks like an above-average putter (design, insert, etc.).  Hard to judge entirely from a picture, but it could be worth a shot for someone looking for a new putter.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 8/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I tell you the putter line that I miss the most is Yes! Golf.  They were money.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie). Callaway Apex Smoke 4-AW 1" long 3* upright Regular graphite shafts

b. Driver specs (loft/flex). Titleist TiS1 Senior Flex

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed). Right handed

d. Where You Live Jefferson, GA

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score. 18.6 index

f. Putter - Too many to list! But all are fitted with FlatCat grip.

12 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I have since evolved to a blade style putter but this brings back some good memories.  

I spy with my little eye something named  Zebra AIT4 😉 😉

10 hours ago, Samsonite said:

Those actually look kind of...great? Lol. I have no experience with the originals (though that picture @cnosilposted genuinely made me laugh - that thing was well. loved. (or hated...geez that's a lot of dings)), but the price-point is pretty great for what looks like an above-average putter (design, insert, etc.).  Hard to judge entirely from a picture, but it could be worth a shot for someone looking for a new putter.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, no experience with the originals and like the design. If the putters perform as well as they look, then I would definitely consider giving them a shot

4 hours ago, bobl99 said:

Have a restored original putter in the closet. Ineed to get it out and see how it compares to Odyssey 2 Ball.

Unofficial review?

On 8/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, cnosil said:

Always interesting when I see old brands emerge again.  In my opinion these are zebra in name only.  When I think of zebra this is what comes to my mind and always will  

image.jpeg.f8eb2f3485998fd0ab6f7e0517aeeac2.jpeg

Ah, my first "real" putter was a Zebra that looked pretty much just like that. I got it back in 1992. 

Mine had that cool Zebra sole plate. Remember those? 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

• 5 months later...

I got my first Zebra for test driving a 1991 Cadillac Seville. Actually, I didn't even have to drive it, the dealer just signed a voucher and I mailed it in! lol

I played it for a few years then sold it. Now i have a black deep face as one of my fall back putters. I've though about sending it out to have the face scored.

Got a chance to roll these at the PGA Show - they did a really nice job with them.  The Zebra name, along with the MacGregor, Ram and Teardrop names were purchased by Golf Brands, Inc from DICK's between 2019 and 2020. It's taken a while to get to market, thanks to the pandemic, but they're available now at Zebragolf.com.

They did a really nice job with these putters - nothing fancy or groundbreaking, but nice putters at a pretty decent, but no bargain basement price. They were designed by Austie Rollinson - if you don't know who Austie is, you should. He worked on these putters and the new MacGregor irons (blog post coming next week - do NOT miss it!) from mid-2020 thru the end of 2021 on an 18-month contract. Prior to working with Golf Brands, Inc - Austie was head of design for Odyssey - you've heard of the 2-Ball, White Hot, Triple Track and others?  Those are Austie's designs.  He also worked on a variety of Callaway and Callaway-era Hogan irons during his time there. His name is on over 300 golf club patents and his designs have sold over $5billion worth of clubs. 

And he's currently director of putter R&D with Acushnet/Titleist.

So no, these are not off-the-shelf open models. Zebra did it right. 

They're in house for Most Wanted testing - we'll see how they do. 

IMG_6013.JPEG

IMG_6021.JPEG

IMG_6020.JPEG

IMG_6015.JPEG

IMG_6014.JPEG

IMG_6019.JPEG

IMG_6016.JPEG

IMG_6018.JPEG

IMG_6022.JPEG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The one with the hole in the back is eerily similar to an Odyssey 10 shape

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

28 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

The one with the hole in the back is eerily similar to an Odyssey 10 shape

There are shapes that are in everyone's offering simply because they're expected. The Anser style, for instance, is standard for every putter company, along with the Spider style and the Fang style - those are pretty much required, and any OEMs version will be eerily similar to someone else's.  The AIT 1 is the most unique shape in the bunch - and most like the original Zebra. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

6 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Cool to see a name I haven't seen awhile, but man that paintfill is sloppy as hell.  Really not a good look

I was going to say the same thing, I noticed the paintfill looked like something I'd do. Not to be all negative here, I will say I love the Zebra logo on the bottom along with the pattern on the weights. 

I hit the blade Zebra (AIT 4) yesterday and I was impressed.   I think it ranks right up there with every other putter in the market.  Feel is pretty soft off the face and it felt good as it moved through the stroke.  While it won’t win any medals for looks, it does seem to work well.  I think it is a solid offering.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The paint fill in the pictures provided is poor. 

I did get a chance to see them at the PGA show and putted with them.

As one can imagine the LH models were not as many and is a good business decision. 

However the models appear to be more modern with an update to the darker color AND weights on the bottom. 

The cost here in the US will be something in the range of $250 -$280 ish.

from the feel perspective they were on par with the big boys making it a matter of find the proper length lie, model and grip.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:08 AM, McGolf said:

The paint fill in the pictures provided is poor. 

I did get a chance to see them at the PGA show and putted with them.

As one can imagine the LH models were not as many and is a good business decision. 

However the models appear to be more modern with an update to the darker color AND weights on the bottom. 

The cost here in the US will be something in the range of $250 -$280 ish.

from the feel perspective they were on par with the big boys making it a matter of find the proper length lie, model and grip.

Good call on the paint job. If it looked like that, I wouldn't be dropping those kind of prices.

@GolfSpy Barbajovery cool tidbit of info on Austie! Never heard of him, but it's nice to know that Zebra are going about this in the right way!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 2/3/2023 at 9:16 AM, cnosil said:

I hit the blade Zebra (AIT 4) yesterday and I was impressed.   I think it ranks right up there with every other putter in the market.  Feel is pretty soft off the face and it felt good as it moved through the stroke.  While it won’t win any medals for looks, it does seem to work well.  I think it is a solid offering.  

Would you consider it a wide blade?

1 hour ago, Deepred said:

Would you consider it a wide blade?

Personally no.  It is a little chunkier than a traditional blade but no where near the double wide style that is so popular now.