TESTERS WANTED! ×

I Dumped My Driver (at least for now)!

Like many, I struggle with consistency hitting my driver (Titleist TSi2 (2019??)).  At 76, I hit it around 200-230 when I catch it just right. I play at least twice a week; problem is, I never know who’s going to show up each round - the ball striker or the slicer!

So this week I retired my driver and used only my Cleveland Launcher 5-wood off the tee. I’ll admit, I hit it only around 180-200 yards, BUT, it was on a rope right down the middle! Every time!  On many holes I had to use it again for my 2nd shot but I was either on the green or very close.  It was one of my best rounds ever!

Now I’m wondering if I’ll ever go back to a driver. I’ve been very pig-headed about this for decades so it was a big deal for me!  It was an eye-opening experience.  Of the courses I play, I might consider the big D occasionally for the carry, but it could be a 3-wood instead!

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks - if you kick him hard enough! 🤣

I'm 71 and beginning the exact same "experiment" you just described.  Odd thing for me is I hit a 3 wood off the deck pretty well; off even a low tee not so much.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I recently shelved my drivers and started playing my UDI 2 iron. However this time of the year rain makes the course soft and fast rolling shots are not really viable….. with that said neither are towering driver shots lol !

Ever evolving WITB ~currently~

-Cobra ltdx-ls driver 9 degree / Hazardous smoke blue rdx 7.0                 -Cobra ltdx-ls fairway 13 degree / Hazardous smoke black rdx 7.0
-Callaway Apex utility wood 17 degree/ Hazardous smoke black rdx 6.5 tipped 1/2”                                                            - Taylor Made p790 UDI / Graphite Design Ud Iz 90-X tipped 1/2”                - Titlest ts3 hybrid 21 degree / Tensei AV raw blue X tipped 1”                           -Cobra tour MIM 4 iron / kbs C-taper 120 6.0                                                       -Cobra RF forged 5-Pw/ kbs C-taper 120 6.0
-Mizuno t20 wedges 50 & 54 / project x 6.0                                                              -Odyssey Stroke Lab number 9

On 8/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, burnsie said:

Like many, I struggle with consistency hitting my driver (Titleist TSi2 (2019??)).  At 76, I hit it around 200-230 when I catch it just right. I play at least twice a week; problem is, I never know who’s going to show up each round - the ball striker or the slicer!

So this week I retired my driver and used only my Cleveland Launcher 5-wood off the tee. I’ll admit, I hit it only around 180-200 yards, BUT, it was on a rope right down the middle! Every time!  On many holes I had to use it again for my 2nd shot but I was either on the green or very close.  It was one of my best rounds ever!

Now I’m wondering if I’ll ever go back to a driver. I’ve been very pig-headed about this for decades so it was a big deal for me!  It was an eye-opening experience.  Of the courses I play, I might consider the big D occasionally for the carry, but it could be a 3-wood instead!

200-230 at 76? I think that's at the high end of club distance for our age. I'll be 76 in December and generally average now about 190ish occasionally I break the 200 + .and peak in the 170's for my 5W. Most of the guys I play with are in the same boat for age and distance. I did find that working out and/or lack of is making a difference in clubhead speed. I was consistently working out til May when we came back to Ohio - my numbers started to fall off since then - so it's back to the gym. Also you didn't mention how you arrived at the driver head and shaft combo you currently have. This past spring I upgraded from a 410/Alta Senior Shaft to a Taylormade SIM2 Max D with an AirSpeeder A flex shaft. That made a big difference so you might experiment with the head and shaft combo - that might met the distance expectations you're looking for. Note here's an 'unofficial review' of my upgrade.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 8/5/2022 at 10:32 PM, Bobbers said:

I'm 71 and beginning the exact same "experiment" you just described.  Odd thing for me is I hit a 3 wood off the deck pretty well; off even a low tee not so much.

Bobbers,  I had the same issue. So I just drop the ball behind the tee markers and hit off the deck. That’s why they call it golf — all the other 4-letter were taken!

On 8/5/2022 at 10:32 PM, Bobbers said:

I'm 71 and beginning the exact same "experiment" you just described.  Odd thing for me is I hit a 3 wood off the deck pretty well; off even a low tee not so good. 

Bobbers,  I had the same issue. So I just drop the ball behind the tee markers and hit off the deck. That’s why they call it golf — all the other 4-letter were taken!

58 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

200-230 at 76? I think that's at the high end of club distance for our age. I'll be 76 in December and generally average now about 190ish occasionally I break the 200 + .and peak in the 170's for my 5W. Most of the guys I play with are in the same boat for age and distance. I did find that working out and/or lack of is making a difference in clubhead speed. I was consistently working out til May when we came back to Ohio - my numbers started to fall off since then - so it's back to the gym. Also you didn't mention how you arrived at the driver head and shaft combo you currently have. This past spring I upgraded from a 410/Alta Senior Shaft to a Taylormade SIM2 Max D with an AirSpeeder A flex shaft. That made a big difference so you might experiment with the head and shaft combo - that might met the distance expectations you're looking for. Note here's an 'unofficial review' of my upgrade.

Tony,  the operative phrase is.. “when I catch it just right.”  AND I need the roll! 😆

Great point about working out. I’ve slacked off a lot these day. Need to get back on schedule. 

Nice choice on your new driver!

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Also you didn't mention how you arrived at the driver head and shaft combo you currently have.

I forgot to mention, my brother-in-law works for Titleist so I got my driver new from the factory with their “regular” shaft for half price. 🫢    Never tried getting fitted or experimenting with different shafts. Something to look into!

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, burnsie said:

Also you didn't mention how you arrived at the driver head and shaft combo you currently have.

I forgot to mention, my brother-in-law works for Titleist so I got my driver new from the factory with their “regular” shaft for half price. 🫢    Never tried getting fitted or experimenting with different shafts. Something to look into!

Thanks!

Now THAT is the brother-in-law from heaven...well done.  And if that gent happens to need another cousin I'm available, and would only expect (but appreciate) let's say a 40% discount.  Keep it in mind.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

• 2 weeks later...

I bench the driver a few times a year.  I roll with my 3-wood off the tee.  I did just pick up the new Taylormade Stealth 2 iron.  Lose some distance, but much more accurate/consistent so I'll take it.  

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I know that for me, hitting driver for a long time was hit or miss until I worked out some issues with a lesson. I'm 47 but my driver swing tops out at around 100mph so I've never been a masher. When things were off, I just used my 3w to tee off and be in the fairway, but I would still miss greens a lot from some longer distances. Research shows that the driver is still the best play for many golfers, I know higher lofted heads or drivers that are adjustable tend to fit me better and keep me in the fairway further out than a 3/4w does. 

Of course, that said - I'm looking out for a 3/4w for my bag right now for those tighter holes where I'd rather hit a 200 yard fairway shot rather than be hitting 3 from the tee. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

77.  I no longer carry a driver or any fairway woods and haven't for some time now.  Works for me.  I carry a Ping G30 Stretch 3 wood (*13) adjustable, and 4 Cleveland XLS hybrids (16*, 22*, 25*, 28*).  The longest iron in my bag is a 7i (Callaway Mavrik) 8i, 9i, P, G, PM grind 56* and 60*

Bag full of old Ping stuff (K15 irons and hybrids)

Cameron Squareback Select

I am only 38 but I have moved into a "thriver" setup that is working (mostly) for me and much better than my standard driver. I play a 13* Nike Driver with a 43" shaft so it is closer to a 3 wood except it is 460cc and thus it is a tee only club. It goes fairly high and spins a good bit but I find it much easier to catch it out of the center most days. Good luck @burnsie with your setup and never stop experimenting! 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Of course you realize that this flies in the face of the "Stroked Gained" analytics.    If you are throwing away strokes off the tee (topped, heeled, OB), then it makes sense.  But all the analytics say you are better off  with an iron or hybrid in than a 5w, all other things being equal.   I would think you could look at a higher loft driver (say, 12 or 13 degree) -- maybe with a shorter shaft, or not.  That would seem to be a better option.  A driver will have a lot more forgiveness than a fairway wood off a tee.    I was fitted for a 12 loft Ping driver a few years back and could find fairway probably 80 - 90 % of the time.   Problem was it maxed out at around 200, and that was too short for the courses and tees I was playing.  Disclosure, I am 63 and a 10 HDCP, so I understand the continuing challenge of finding distance.     

I don't buy the SG analytics for everyone... just sayin'.   For instance, the SG says you should take 3w and bomb it as far as you can on par 5's and get as close to the green as you can.   That's fine if you ignore the mis-hits and crooked shots that add strokes.  230 yards out on a Par 5 is probably 2 pitching wedges if I chose to play it that way.   Better than the topped 3w that went 25 yards-- and I am still 210 out and have to (try to) hit 3w again!     

Still, I would evaluate other driver options, because on average (per the analytics), you will be better with the added distance and forgiveness.     

Edited by saz0418

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

or you could move up a tee or 2. It is just a game after all and meant to be fun. 5 wood, 7 iron, birdie sounds like more fun than 5 wood, 5 wood, chipping. My group is just getting to 70 and we play from several tees.

When the driver returns to form, either that one or a fitted new one, you can always move back.

I agree with others that adding a little loft and a really good shaft for your swing would help with wayward balls. The whole equipment scene right now is not geared for seniors. When we started with wooden drivers the general rule was around 12 degrees of loft for the driver.  Maybe start there.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 8/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, burnsie said:

I was once in a similar situation.  I would slice my driver but hit my fairway woods dead straight off the tee.  I was on the range one day and the club pro happened to walk by.  I mentioned my issue and he had me hit my driver and 3 wood for him.  Basically he said my swing with the two different clubs was vastly different.  Wirh my 3&5 woods I brought it from the inside resulting in straight to slight draw every time.  With the driver, no surprise, I was coming over the top. He had me focus on coming from the inside with the driver.  Using alignment sticks, I was able to groove an inside out swing which has held up for me over the last few years.  I've gained distance and accuracy.  

Bottome line, IMO, if you can hit your fairway woods straight, you'll be able to fix your driver.

On 8/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, MWL_9 said:

I bench the driver a few times a year.  I roll with my 3-wood off the tee.  I did just pick up the new Taylormade Stealth 2 iron.  Lose some distance, but much more accurate/consistent so I'll take it.  

Same but it's the Mini Driver that saves me most of the time. The 4 Wood or Driving Iron is also a good fairway finder for me and the driver(s) are getting better as I go through lessons and fittings. 

I just started played again after stepping away for about 10 years, then having back surgery.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 082051.png

A lot of interesting comments on this subject!  Thanks for all the feedback.  I see I’m not the only one.  

Problem is, I’m just not ready mentally to give up the driver (even though I have lately!)

I think I’m going to take Bear1’s advice and try to fix my driver issues with a lesson or two. 

7 hours ago, burnsie said:

Problem is, I’m just not ready mentally to give up the driver (even though I have lately!)

I think I’m going to take Bear1’s advice and try to fix my driver issues with a lesson or two. 

Kinda same for me, so lessons and fittings have helped

• 1 month later...

I did the exact same thing about 16 months ago when my Drives ended up either dead straight, Sliced or Completely Hooked and since I've only played Irons and Utility Irons. 2 weeks ago I picked it up from my basement and last 6 rounds has been a game-changer. (I don't want to clap just yet but..) Essentially all drives have been perfect with a small fade. Not sure why that is, perhaps its all a mental thing? What I have noticed though is that I'm now setting up and swinging the same as with my long-irons, putting the ball further back in my stance, having my weight pretty evenly distributed. Anyone else noticing the same where you threw away your driver and picked it back up just to realise its performing better than ever? If so curious if you've found some commonalities..

giphy.gif

So I have to bench my driver for an entirely different reason now (well two reasons really)...the main reason is that due to constant tinkering and messing with my setup I ended up with a driver that weighs in at B7. Yes, B7* which is basically a US Kids Golf club. 

So for the time being I am going to be teeing off with hybrid. Who knows? My scores might actually go down. 😆

*This happened because I butt cut a Hzrdus Yellow by 2" which obvious dropped the swing weight a ton. I brought it back previously with heavy head weights in my old Cobra Speedzone driver. Well, when I cracked my SZ, I got a Radspeed XB that only has 6g in the back. It felt like crap and I was having trouble finding the center of the face (low strikes mostly). So I randomly checked the swing weight and was quite embarrassed to find out how much I had missed the mark. I ordered a 12g rear weight which will give me 6g more in the head (brings me like 3 SW points I think) so that will be C1. I wanted a less boardy shaft so I ordered a mid launch stiff shaft that I will not trim and instead will just grip down to keep from jacking up my SW again and so I can sell it if I don't like it. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 8/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, burnsie said:

I think you were right to dump your driver.  I, too often, have had my driver dump me first.  That's always hurt me.  Now they sit in the basement, those former drivers.   I suspect they gossip when I'm out of earshot.  Occasionally we pass each other but try hard never to make eye contact...it's better that way.  And less painful...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:33 AM, MWL_9 said:

I was recently fit for new shafts on my driver, 3 wood, and 2 iron so hoping the driver doesn't get benched as often this summer! I know the swing needs some work regardless of the shaft 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus