I Dumped My Driver (at least for now)!

So I have to bench my driver for an entirely different reason now (well two reasons really)...the main reason is that due to constant tinkering and messing with my setup I ended up with a driver that weighs in at B7. Yes, B7* which is basically a US Kids Golf club. 

So for the time being I am going to be teeing off with hybrid. Who knows? My scores might actually go down. 😆

*This happened because I butt cut a Hzrdus Yellow by 2" which obvious dropped the swing weight a ton. I brought it back previously with heavy head weights in my old Cobra Speedzone driver. Well, when I cracked my SZ, I got a Radspeed XB that only has 6g in the back. It felt like crap and I was having trouble finding the center of the face (low strikes mostly). So I randomly checked the swing weight and was quite embarrassed to find out how much I had missed the mark. I ordered a 12g rear weight which will give me 6g more in the head (brings me like 3 SW points I think) so that will be C1. I wanted a less boardy shaft so I ordered a mid launch stiff shaft that I will not trim and instead will just grip down to keep from jacking up my SW again and so I can sell it if I don't like it. 

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45g "A" Flex shaft (Otto-phlex) - Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Hybrid -  New Level Gi22 5-7 iron - PTxPro 7-PW - Ping Eye2 BeCu Gap Wedge - Ping Glide 4.0 LW - LAB Golf DF 2.1 Putter

Titleist White Box 2023 Prototype Golf balls review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53743-member-test-titleist-pro-v1pro-v1x-white-box/?do=findComment&comment=870550

On 8/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, burnsie said:

Like many, I struggle with consistency hitting my driver (Titleist TSi2 (2019??)).  At 76, I hit it around 200-230 when I catch it just right. I play at least twice a week; problem is, I never know who’s going to show up each round - the ball striker or the slicer!

So this week I retired my driver and used only my Cleveland Launcher 5-wood off the tee. I’ll admit, I hit it only around 180-200 yards, BUT, it was on a rope right down the middle! Every time!  On many holes I had to use it again for my 2nd shot but I was either on the green or very close.  It was one of my best rounds ever!

Now I’m wondering if I’ll ever go back to a driver. I’ve been very pig-headed about this for decades so it was a big deal for me!  It was an eye-opening experience.  Of the courses I play, I might consider the big D occasionally for the carry, but it could be a 3-wood instead!

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks - if you kick him hard enough! 🤣

I think you were right to dump your driver.  I, too often, have had my driver dump me first.  That's always hurt me.  Now they sit in the basement, those former drivers.   I suspect they gossip when I'm out of earshot.  Occasionally we pass each other but try hard never to make eye contact...it's better that way.  And less painful...

• Haha 1

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Edel EAS 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:33 AM, MWL_9 said:

I bench the driver a few times a year.  I roll with my 3-wood off the tee.  I did just pick up the new Taylormade Stealth 2 iron.  Lose some distance, but much more accurate/consistent so I'll take it.  

I was recently fit for new shafts on my driver, 3 wood, and 2 iron so hoping the driver doesn't get benched as often this summer! I know the swing needs some work regardless of the shaft 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus