TESTERS WANTED! ×

RETIRED GUYS How Far DO you hit DRIVER, ..

I'm intrigued after seeing a 85 y/o hitting 225 yards, I'm only 71 and hit 240metres and yeah it landed on top of the hill and went down the other side. I'm ave 200metres with a Tensei xstiff shaft SIM 9* head otherwise lol, about 220 yards but expect more soon as I'm hitting straightish now. So guys what distance with your driver specifics and age?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I'm 71, 5'9" tall and about 145 pounds if I have my keys and some loose change in my pockets.  Sorry to say that I'm in the 165-170 range off the tee.

I live in Wisconsin and have learned to love mid-July to late August golf as the fairways get firmer and I get more roll on my drives.  180 yards here I come!!!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Not yet retired, but close at 65, and I play a Ping g410 SFT, set at 9.5*, with 43.5" 65g regular flex shaft, driving around 235 max, averaging 210-220 most of the time, figured by using my Garmin S10. Been launching pretty high as of late, so adjusting down to the 9* setting, and switching back to the 43.5" 55g reg. flex stock shaft to see if I can pick up some yardage. I have tried a lower tee height, just not consistent. My swing speed is only 80 mph., as it has been all of my playing time. I have been told that I should play a senior flex, but I feel it would be too whippy for me. Does your SS warant you playing a stiff? You could get more yardage playing a regular flex shaft, IF you are not swinging over 90 mph. Possibly get on a simulator, if available, to try a different shaft flex. I know stiffs help with direction, but can inhibit distance if you don't have a faster swing speed. My .02...

Edited by drb1956
add content

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Edited by Hacker Rod

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

5 hours ago, Hacker Rod said:

Kinda cheating, but I'm retired at 

Yeah right, I forgot to mention that the over achievers need not be bragging here. I'm interested in what us old guys can do, at your age I was driving it 280-300 metres in Sydney but no big deal most I played with did it and in my mid 60's I could crank it 265metres and that was measured by a GPS..

I'm sure there's lots could do that or better..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

6 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I'm 71, 5'9" tall and about 145 pounds if I have my keys and some loose change in my pockets.  Sorry to say that I'm in the 165-170 range off the tee.

I live in Wisconsin and have learned to love mid-July to late August golf as the fairways get firmer and I get more roll on my drives.  180 yards here I come!!!

You know what you're doing good, we're same age height but I'm 88kgs. More muscle lol...

7 hours ago, drb1956 said:

Not yet retired, but close at 65, and I play a Ping g410 SFT, set at 9.5*, with 43.5" 65g regular flex shaft, driving around 235 max, averaging 210-220 most of the time, figured by using my Garmin S10. Been launching pretty high as of late, so adjusting down to the 9* setting, and switching back to the 43.5" 55g reg. flex stock shaft to see if I can pick up some yardage. My swing speed is only 80 mph., as it has been all of my playing time. I have been told that I should play a senior flex, but I feel it would be too whippy for me. Does your SS warant you playing a stiff? You could get more yardage playing a regular flex shaft, IF you are not swinging over 90 mph. Possibly get on a simulator, if available, to try a different shaft flex. I know stiffs help with direction, but can inhibit distance if you don't have a faster swing speed. My .02...

Yeah I can increase distance with a regular shaft but prefer to find the fairway more often, ss is 105 ave but I'm getting stronger and with my speed training hoping 105 is the slow ave. But i have health issues so not sure where I'll finish, the next 3 months will answer that question if I do not over do it lol. I was using a senior shaft 2 years ago so I've recovered alot, I had some lessons but having a pro telling me I need to change to the perfect swing NOT happening so not going there and nowhere near me is a club fitter with the right technology to help so I'm making the most of what I've got...

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

Yeah right, I forgot to mention that the over achievers need not be bragging here. I'm interested in what us old guys can do, at your age I was driving it 280-300 metres in Sydney but no big deal most I played with did it and in my mid 60's I could crank it 265metres and that was measured by a GPS..

I'm sure there's lots could do that or better..

Consider me sufficiently scolded.  Sorry I chimed in.  

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

Age is just shy of 71, average around 220 yds or so from the tee with an occasional bomb here and there.  Swing speed upper 80s typically.  I normally hit the tee shot fairly straight and normally find the fairway.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Age is just shy of 71, average around 220 yds or so from the tee with an occasional bomb here and there.  Swing speed upper 80s typically.  I normally hit the tee shot fairly straight and normally find the fairway.  

What driver shaft setup you use?

11 hours ago, Bang60 said:

What driver shaft setup you use?

See my signature line. I play a Callaway Rogue ST Max with the stock Mitsubishi Tesai Blue shaft. Head is set to 10.5 with draw bias.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

65 with a mended back about 200 225 now. But I have started back up doing some speed training and picked up a little bit of yardage yesterday maybe 7 yards or so

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Semi-retired guy. I can hit it anywhere from 54 yards to 265 yards, the problem is I don't know which one I'm about to unleash!😅

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

8 hours ago, CarlH said:

See my signature line. I play a Callaway Rogue ST Max with the stock Mitsubishi Tesai Blue shaft. Head is set to 10.5 with draw bias.

Ooooops didn't know about that, slow learner lol

7 hours ago, Headhammer said:

Semi-retired guy. I can hit it anywhere from 54 yards to 265 yards, the problem is I don't know which one I'm about to unleash!😅

WOW that's a huge difference lol, I'm not that good lol...

I’m 65. My tee shots carry between 190 and 210 yards, depending on the strike. If the fairways are particularly hard, I’ll get 25 or 30 yards of roll. Most of the time, I get about 10 or 15 yards of roll. I started playing 30 years ago and I’ve never been a long hitter. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I appear to be on the other side of the driver length spectrum. 

I'm 66 and retired with a relatively new left knee, two shoulder operations, broken neck and a naturally fused back.  With my swing speed of roughly 72 mph and my Ping G400 SFT driver with a 40 gram senior shaft I get a performance distance on my Shot Scope H4 of 180 yards (max 201 yards).  That distance is consistent with my recent Club Champion fitting.  The good news from that fitting was that my driver smash factor averaged 1.49, so at least I was maximizing the distance with my meager swing speed.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
5 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I appear to be on the other side of the driver length spectrum. 

I'm 66 and retired with a relatively new left knee, two shoulder operations, broken neck and a naturally fused back.  With my swing speed of roughly 72 mph and my Ping G400 SFT driver with a 40 gram senior shaft I get a performance distance on my Shot Scope H4 of 180 yards (max 201 yards).  That distance is consistent with my recent Club Champion fitting.  The good news from that fitting was that my driver smash factor averaged 1.49, so at least I was maximizing the distance with my meager swing speed.  

WOW ave 1.49 smash factor is amazing, dude you've reinforced my belief that what I'm doing is right "high smash factor" Rules...

Impressive body with your repair list, hopefully you will keep enjoying your golf. We've got commonality in the number and seriousness of operations just different areas, mine are stomach related. My swing speed is high 90mph, take care...

Not as far as I'd like too... consistently.  225-240 total most days.  But there are those 260+ that show up here and there that simply drive me nuts and have me asking why I cannot repeat them more often 😢.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

43 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Not as far as I'd like too... consistently.  225-240 total most days.  But there are those 260+ that show up here and there that simply drive me nuts and have me asking why I cannot repeat them more often 😢.

Yeah I have that quandary going on too, I've either thought I hit the ball very good/badly and the results are the opposite. Driving me nuts lol...

5 hours ago, KJC said:

74 yrs old. Carry distance 216 with 20 yard roll out, per Trackman using range balls. Ping 400 Max. Hit 72% of fairways. 4.8 index. Play 2x week and practice 3x week. Maxfli Tour ball.

Hey good numbers using range balls...

On 8/6/2022 at 5:12 PM, Bang60 said:

Yeah I can increase distance with a regular shaft but prefer to find the fairway more often, ss is 105 ave but I'm getting stronger and with my speed training hoping 105 is the slow ave. But i have health issues so not sure where I'll finish, the next 3 months will answer that question if I do not over do it lol. I was using a senior shaft 2 years ago so I've recovered alot, I had some lessons but having a pro telling me I need to change to the perfect swing NOT happening so not going there and nowhere near me is a club fitter with the right technology to help so I'm making the most of what I've got...

Is that ss in mph or kpn ?   If it is 105 mph and your avg is 220 yards then I think you are missing out on quite a bit of carry yardage.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Is that ss in mph or kpn ?   If it is 105 mph and your avg is 220 yards then I think you are missing out on quite a bit of carry yardage.

Yeah mph, and I agree I'm losing alot of carry. My numbers are mph and metres, yesterday I nutted 2 drives for 200metres carry with no run because winter here so plugged ball. I'd like to get a fitter to help me but I'm yet to find one close to me, maybe I will take a trip in the summer to see one in Auckland NZ?

Last year was around 210-220 range, then noticed on my backswing was using hood rotation technique but only getting hands shoulder high. On the range, forced more rotation on the same path to get hands ear high and amazingly picked up yardage.  At top of BS, pronate left/lead wrist and release just prior to contact.

Since then have worked on stretching, conditioning and mostly core strength (I’m 5-9, 165) and now in the 235ish range but have had some closer to 250 (maybe a sprinkler head).  Not sure of SS but think around 88-92. My driver is older Callaway Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil ES 450/F3 R. For me, increasing core strength will translate to longer distance at this point. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 68 and put it out about 220/235 pretty consistently. That’s the lie distance when I go to hit it again. Couldn’t tell you carry and roll out as I can’t see that far anymore. 🙂 

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

1 hour ago, Motoboss said:

I’m 68 and put it out about 220/235 pretty consistently. That’s the lie distance when I go to hit it again. Couldn’t tell you carry and roll out as I can’t see that far anymore. 🙂 

Are you using an older Fav or New driver?

14 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Are you using an older Fav or New driver?

A “new” to me Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Tensei CK Orange 70 S shaft. Hit the snot out of it, most of the time.

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft