TESTERS WANTED! ×

RETIRED GUYS How Far DO you hit DRIVER, ..

On 8/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, drb1956 said:

Not yet retired, but close at 65, and I play a Ping g410 SFT, set at 9.5*, with 43.5" 65g regular flex shaft, driving around 235 max, averaging 210-220 most of the time, figured by using my Garmin S10. Been launching pretty high as of late, so adjusting down to the 9* setting, and switching back to the 43.5" 55g reg. flex stock shaft to see if I can pick up some yardage. I have tried a lower tee height, just not consistent. My swing speed is only 80 mph., as it has been all of my playing time. I have been told that I should play a senior flex, but I feel it would be too whippy for me. Does your SS warant you playing a stiff? You could get more yardage playing a regular flex shaft, IF you are not swinging over 90 mph. Possibly get on a simulator, if available, to try a different shaft flex. I know stiffs help with direction, but can inhibit distance if you don't have a faster swing speed. My .02...

Shaft flex marching to a swing speed only is often wrong and can be counter productive.    There is a lot more than swing speed that goes into shaft profile and flex.  

My swing speed with a Aldila Acent 49g regular flex was 81-&2 mph.  And o topped out around 175 to 180 carry and 193 to occasionally 210 distance. 

With the new TSR 2 the rep put me onto a HZRDUZ Smoke Red 50G Stiff flex.  I picked up 2 mph CHS, 5-7 mph ball speed , 12-15 yards of carry and 20 plus yards total.   

Main reason was this shaft handed my aggressive  transition better not releasing to early allowing me to get more speed at impact and less spin..it is still a bit high but not the spin monster I had before    

So people are doing them selves an injustice by sticking the the rules of thumb from 20 and 20 years ago. Take advantage of the technology, fitter expertise and myriads od shafts available.  
I promise it will give you better results than saying I swing ABC so I need  123 shaft.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

12 hours ago, Goober said:

My swing speed is 112.I can hit a driver 260-280 carry.From 150 I’m a 9 iron on my good days 

Before my lessons I was 240-255 driver.And 8 sometimes even 7 iron from 150.But I was very very very consistent 

I'm guessing you're a very young 70 something? 260-280 carry fantastic...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 8/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Not as far as I'd like too... consistently.  225-240 total most days.  But there are those 260+ that show up here and there that simply drive me nuts and have me asking why I cannot repeat them more often 😢.

That's around my neighborhood too although the longer surprises, when all the molecules line up properly, is less than 260.  Loss of distance doesn't bother me much as I hardly ever miss a fairway and  I always loved hitting fairway woods, they're so easy, so no pressure really if needed.   As long as I can land the 4's in regulation I'm good.  

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 8/5/2022 at 11:21 PM, Bang60 said:

I'm intrigued after seeing a 85 y/o hitting 225 yards, I'm only 71 and hit 240metres and yeah it landed on top of the hill and went down the other side. I'm ave 200metres with a Tensei xstiff shaft SIM 9* head otherwise lol, about 220 yards but expect more soon as I'm hitting straightish now. So guys what distance with your driver specifics and age?

I am 73 (closer to 74), and generally hit my driver about 245 yards, but lately I have hit a fair number of 255-265 yard drives.  I hit my 4-wood (16.5* loft, 42.5” playing length) about 230 yards off the tee or off a clean lie in the fairway. I have been doing drills to get solid contact with all of my clubs, and it really seems to be paying off, as I’m getting at least 10-15 yards greater distance with every club in my bag (except the putter, of course). This phenomenon hurt me on a handful of holes in my league today, as I sailed a 7-iron well over the green from 150 yards out, and hit a few other approach shots significantly past the hole, to the point where I was clubbing down by 2 clubs on approaches by the end of my round, so that I would leave the ball below the pin.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

BTW, I still play stiff shafts in all of my clubs, as I have a driver clubhead speed of right around 100-102 MPH, and 97 MPH with my 4-wood, as well as low-mid 80s with my 6 and 7 irons.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

13 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

BTW, I still play stiff shafts in all of my clubs, as I have a driver clubhead speed of right around 100-102 MPH, and 97 MPH with my 4-wood, as well as low-mid 80s with my 6 and 7 irons.

Hey that’s good, my xstiff I believe is really just stiff but I get better dispersion so will keep it until I find something better…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 70 and use a G30 12 degree driver with a Ping SR graphite shaft. This season, my average drive is 189 yards based on my GPS watch with long drive of 211 yards. Thankfully, my drives are normally fairly straight so at least my second shots are generally from the short grass.

Just an older guy with 8 or 9 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag.

Just turned 69 and I'm moving it 240-245. I can still get a few past 255 every round. That's measured using my Bushnell GPS watch. I just upgraded drivers from 9° Mav SubZero to 9° Epic Speed and kept my same Matrix Ozik White Tie 60 Reg flex shaft. Set at N-S and playing the TaylorMade TP5x.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, Motoboss said:

I’m 68 and put it out about 220/235 pretty consistently. That’s the lie distance when I go to hit it again. Couldn’t tell you carry and roll out as I can’t see that far anymore. 🙂 

LOL.  I cant see any shot over 140 yards land anymore.  A guy at the range once asked my why I pose after every shot? I said I'm not posing, I'm trying to see where it lands!😁

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

7 hours ago, Headhammer said:

LOL.  I cant see any shot over 140 yards land anymore.  A guy at the range once asked my why I pose after every shot? I said I'm not posing, I'm trying to see where it lands!😁

Ahhh I had that problem too then I had cataract surgery and I see too good now, by that I mean I see alot of tiny marks in the paintwork inside my house and that's work I need to do. Bugger...

• 3 weeks later...

I did this too lofts 12 14deg just went higher, I've since bought a Mizuno MP Type 2 Driver head std loft 9.5 but set at 8.5 and my ave drive is 220metres, the ball is much lower than before with a penetrating flight. Gotta love that...

12 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

Do most of you guys follow the advice of going up in loft as you age? I've tried 12* and 14* drivers and all they do for me is go higher and shorter. I'm getting my best distance with an 8* Wishon 919.

Nope, I went one lower than standard on the connector for my SIM 2 MAX D (10.5). But it did come with a Airspeeder shaft which is supposed to be high launch and mid spin. So to better address your question I think you need to address the shaft profile along with head loft.. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Well wonders never cease, NEW longest drive of 230 metres which was a couple more as that's to the center and ball was abit further back, love Mizuno MP Type 2 Driver so looking fwd to see how long I'll get... post-9857-0-66705500-1457798839.jpg.8f3ae2779cdc67f6d4a61a22612c5540.jpg

I’m soon to be 76 and 210 yards is about maxed out.  I think if we were still in CT would be 10-15 yards further.  Living at Sea Level has some disadvantages.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

19 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m soon to be 76 and 210 yards is about maxed out.  I think if we were still in CT would be 10-15 yards further.  Living at Sea Level has some disadvantages.

At 75 I'm about the same as you.  Our elevation is only about 350 feet so not much difference.  I'm waiting for the irrigation system to be turned off for the winter and the fairways to dry out a little bit. 🤣  The only problem is that as it gets colder I have to wear more layers which impedes my swing!!  🙄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

At 75 I'm about the same as you.  Our elevation is only about 350 feet so not much difference.  I'm waiting for the irrigation system to be turned off for the winter and the fairways to dry out a little bit. 🤣  The only problem is that as it gets colder I have to wear more layers which impedes my swing!!  🙄

I'm a youngster at 72 lol, I'm 230 metres and I'm betting I've beat that by a big bit today? I will check it out tues as I want to know that distance... I changed bag and irons trying out Orlimar interceptor one length "7iron length shaft" that were just bad news for me, hit skinny and fat bloody awful and they will be sold. 

I’m 68 and until recently I averaged 240 with a few 260-270 drives. But I got tired of looking for my ball in the weeds (the deep rough at my home course is knee high this time of year), and consciously slowed my swing down a couple months ago. I’ve given up about 20 yards with all clubs, but I’m hitting more fairways and greens and scoring better while saving money on new balls. Too soon old, too late smart…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Winters coming!!  I’ll have to switch to heavy shorts!  
We’ve obviously had a very wet spring summer.

Rick

Left Hand, 

37 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Winters coming!!  I’ll have to switch to heavy shorts

🤣. I'm still fairly new to Fl so I still wear light weight shorts and short sleeve polos, I've seen you guys wear long pants and sweaters when it gets down into the high 60's. 🤣

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

There doesn't seem to be a chart that correlates altitude to golf ball distance - but the rule of thumb seems to be 10%. I have to  believe that all things being equal - swing, club, etc,, the ball is going to carry substantially more than 10%  in Denver's altitude and dry air, over Tampa's sea level and humid temps. 

My issue with drives is more consistency ; swing speed and contact. In the same round I can have a range of 165 to 200 yds. (discounting wind). 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

32 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

🤣. I'm still fairly new to Fl so I still wear light weight shorts and short sleeve polos, I've seen you guys wear long pants and sweaters when it gets down into the high 60's. 🤣

If I have to wear long pants (in the 40’s) I’m probably not going to play in the morning.  
No shorts no me!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

30 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

There doesn't seem to be a chart that correlates altitude to golf ball distance - but the rule of thumb seems to be 10%. I have to  believe that all things being equal - swing, club, etc,, the ball is going to carry substantially more than 10%  in Denver's altitude and dry air, over Tampa's sea level and humid temps. 

My issue with drives is more consistency ; swing speed and contact. In the same round I can have a range of 165 to 200 yds. (discounting wind). 

Wet fareways are the problem right now. Losing all runout.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

38 minutes ago, Rickp said:

If I have to wear long pants (in the 40’s) I’m probably not going to play in the morning.  
No shorts no me!!

I was thinking about long pants this morning; 46º now warming up to 65º when we finish and 77º later; but we only have about 4 more days before the temps drop into the 30's at night with a high of 60º.  The only reason I'm wearing shorts today is there is no wind.  However, I have a few more layers on top that I know will affect my swing.  I'm going to call this a practice day... getting used to the extra clothes for the cooler weather ahead!!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I was thinking about long pants this morning; 46º now warming up to 65º when we finish and 77º later; but we only have about 4 more days before the temps drop into the 30's at night with a high of 60º.  The only reason I'm wearing shorts today is there is no wind.  However, I have a few more layers on top that I know will affect my swing.  I'm going to call this a practice day... getting used to the extra clothes for the cooler weather ahead!!  😂

Not too early to start thinking about Arizona.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

North Texas is still warm, but I play a lush course without a lot of roll.  I’m 69.  Play a 9.5 degrees Titleist driver set at 8.75 to guard against over draws.  I avg about 265.  Can still get it out to 290-295 on occasion.  When the Bermuda goes dormant and we are dry, I will see some out over 300.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

13 hours ago, Middler said:

I’m 68 and until recently I averaged 240 with a few 260-270 drives. But I got tired of looking for my ball in the weeds (the deep rough at my home course is knee high this time of year), and consciously slowed my swing down a couple months ago. I’ve given up about 20 yards with all clubs, but I’m hitting more fairways and greens and scoring better while saving money on new balls. Too soon old, too late smart…

Your not the lone ranger sir...