TESTERS WANTED! ×

RETIRED GUYS How Far DO you hit DRIVER, ..

On the brink of turning 72, I look back on my last 15 rounds via Shot Scope and note that my driver average is 193, with 73% FIR. My driver is a PXG 0211 currently set at 12* with an Evenflow Riptide CB regular shaft. Although I have shifted my irons to Senior shafts, my woods are still regular. As for cool weather golf, I am in shorts until it dips into the mid 40’s. I do have some long pants but would rather wear shorts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

23 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

On the brink of turning 72, I look back on my last 15 rounds via Shot Scope and note that my driver average is 193, with 73% FIR. My driver is a PXG 0211 currently set at 12* with an Evenflow Riptide CB regular shaft. Although I have shifted my irons to Senior shafts, my woods are still regular. As for cool weather golf, I am in shorts until it dips into the mid 40’s. I do have some long pants but would rather wear shorts.

I found better distance by adjusting my Callaway Epic Max senior flex shaft  from the stock 10.5 to 9.5; my ball flight was too high for my swing speed after my swing change.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I found better distance by adjusting my Callaway Epic Max senior flex shaft  from the stock 10.5 to 9.5; my ball flight was too high for my swing speed after my swing change.  

After my knee replacement I noticed driver trajectory has been very high, was set at 13*, have it now set at 11* and seems to be better.  I’ll be able to evaluate tomorrow & especially Wednesday.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I'm 72 10/11 and play my Mizuno MP Type 2 @8.5, par on last hole highlight of the day. I try to forget about birthdays, except wifey buys dinner..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

After my knee replacement I noticed driver trajectory has been very high, was set at 13*, have it now set at 11* and seems to be better.  I’ll be able to evaluate tomorrow & especially Wednesday.

I’m going the opposite direction. 
Tomorrow will be my first time playing a non-Ping driver in about 10 years, (or whenever the G30 came out?) and my first time with a 10.5* loft. I love the way the ST Max sets up behind the ball, hopefully my #’s carry over from demo to the course.

I’m keeping the Ping 425 around though as a security blanket. This is a “big” change for me, and I’m not sure why I’m making it, other than when I was fit for irons recently, they told me I needed to be in regular flex, not Senior with my driver.
I’m not so sure… I hit the Ping very well Saturday. 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

36 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’m going the opposite direction. 
Tomorrow will be my first time playing a non-Ping driver in about 10 years, (or whenever the G30 came out?) and my first time with a 10.5* loft. I love the way the ST Max sets up behind the ball, hopefully my #’s carry over from demo to the course.

I’m keeping the Ping 425 around though as a security blanket. This is a “big” change for me, and I’m not sure why I’m making it, other than when I was fit for irons recently, they told me I needed to be in regular flex, not Senior with my driver.
I’m not so sure… I hit the Ping very well Saturday. 🙄

Looking forward to your results tomorrow.  Good luck Grasshopper!! 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm going back and forth between the R Flex Air Speeder and the same model in the A Flex. And using the V3 to track the PAVG difference. So far the A Flex is winning out. Since I only paid $45. for the R Flex, it's a cheap way to judge the difference. Now if I could just eliminate the short mishit drives that number would jump up with either shaft. 

@fozcyclewhen you were fitted for the 0211 did you try the Evenflow Riptide  in A Flex? I have the R Flex Riptide it my 3 W but consistently hit it shorter than my 5 W with a Helium A Flex  I'm thinking of swapping out the Riptide for my Helium (both woods are Cobras with identical connectors) and just not using my 5W at all since I'm getting almost the same distance with it as my 410 22* hybrid. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 10/17/2022 at 5:23 AM, fozcycle said:

On the brink of turning 72, I look back on my last 15 rounds via Shot Scope and note that my driver average is 193, with 73% FIR.

... Glad you posted this foz and many could learn something from it. 👍  Playing in the desert with a ton of roll once the season gets in full swing, many here are delusional about how far they hit their drivers. Especially carry. We have a short par 4 and driving the green requires about a 220yd carry over water. Prevailing wind is usually into the golfer. The amount of times I see faux "big hitters" come up short of the 220 carry is more often than not. They may make it 1 out of 5 times but really don't count the other 4. 🙄  This course also has several slopes that if you can get close with carry, they will add another 40+ yds and many confuse their 215-220yd carry with their 280 total. Somehow ignoring their 225 yd drive when the landing area is just slightly uphill or even flat. 

... Unless you are using some kind of a measuring device it has been my experience most have an inflated idea of how far they hit their drivers. I know I did. Not a problem of course as many golfers have a healthy ego, until they try and carry a hazard on an unfamiliar course. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Glad you posted this foz and many could learn something from it. 👍  Playing in the desert with a ton of roll once the season gets in full swing, many here are delusional about how far they hit their drivers. Especially carry. We have a short par 4 and driving the green requires about a 220yd carry over water. Prevailing wind is usually into the golfer. The amount of times I see faux "big hitters" come up short of the 220 carry is more often than not. They may make it 1 out of 5 times but really don't count the other 4. 🙄  This course also has several slopes that if you can get close with carry, they will add another 40+ yds and many confuse their 215-220yd carry with their 280 total. Somehow ignoring their 225 yd drive when the landing area is just slightly uphill or even flat. 

... Unless you are using some kind of a measuring device it has been my experience most have an inflated idea of how far they hit their drivers. I know I did. Not a problem of course as many golfers have a healthy ego, until they try and carry a hazard on an unfamiliar course. 

That's because most delusional golfers count their yearly longest shot as "average distance".  Sure, I hit two drives 256 and 262 yards (little roll-out) when I played in slightly wet conditions last Saturday, but both holes were slightly downhill and I had a good 12-15 MPH tailwind on one of those drives.  I would venture that my "average" drive on Saturday was more like 230 yards, and I hit a couple that probably only carried 215-220.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

That's because most delusional golfers count their yearly longest shot as "average distance".  Sure, I hit two drives 256 and 262 yards (little roll-out) when I played in slightly wet conditions last Saturday, but both holes were slightly downhill and I had a good 12-15 MPH tailwind on one of those drives.  I would venture that my "average" drive on Saturday was more like 230 yards, and I hit a couple that probably only carried 215-220.

Some of us actually keep stats. For those who don't, your alleged "method" might be accurate.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
Just now, Middler said:

Some of us actually keep stats. For those who don't, your alleged "method" might be accurate.

That is why I said “most delusional golfers”.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

Please understand I'm grateful you raised this question I should of been clear at the beginning, sorry for the confusion...

Well to be fair I didn't ask about your yearly average drive, you Police what you say here. Although I wasn't clear when I started this topic I was only looking at what guys over 65years young were hitting the driver, I wanted that inspiration to encourage me to keep trying to get better. Im just being a bit selfish, I thank all who posted and please please keep posting. Cheers Colin...

Edited by Bang60
Missed info

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 10/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'm going back and forth between the R Flex Air Speeder and the same model in the A Flex. And using the V3 to track the PAVG difference. So far the A Flex is winning out. Since I only paid $45. for the R Flex, it's a cheap way to judge the difference. Now if I could just eliminate the short mishit drives that number would jump up with either shaft. 

@fozcyclewhen you were fitted for the 0211 did you try the Evenflow Riptide  in A Flex? I have the R Flex Riptide it my 3 W but consistently hit it shorter than my 5 W with a Helium A Flex  I'm thinking of swapping out the Riptide for my Helium (both woods are Cobras with identical connectors) and just not using my 5W at all since I'm getting almost the same distance with it as my 410 22* hybrid. 

I was not even thinking Senior shaft when I got my 0211 driver. Right now I am concentrating more on loft and FIR. Currently my FIR is at 71% with my loft at 12* and avg distance at 193.  Hoping to run with that for awhile but will be considering the Senior shaft in near future.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

On 10/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, funkyjudge said:

Thanks Chisag, that’s what I like about Shotscope….it keeps me look8ng at real numbers, not guesses.

These threads are fun, but a little silly.

Your distance varies so much depending on where you play. Most of the year I’m down in the Myrtle Beach area, and because of the soft conditions and sea level, I’m 10% shorter (at least one club, sometimes more) throughout my bag.

With an 85ish mph SS, I can carry the ball about 200 on average down here. Roll out is dependent on conditions, but it’s usually not very much.

If I’m up on Long Island, I’ll average about 215  carry and get some decent roll out. If I were to play at a higher elevation, or an are like Texas where the fairways are rock hard, I’m going to get a lot more. So depending on where I’m playing I can average anywhere from 200 carry/ 210 total up to 225 carry/ 250 total.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

Your distance varies so much depending on where you play. Most of the year I’m down in the Myrtle Beach area, and because of the soft conditions and sea level, I’m 10% shorter (at least one club, sometimes more) throughout my bag.

With an 85ish mph SS, I can carry the ball about 200 on average down here. Roll out is dependent on conditions, but it’s usually not very much.

If I’m up on Long Island, I’ll average about 215  carry and get some decent roll out. If I were to play at a higher elevation, or an are like Texas where the fairways are rock hard, I’m going to get a lot more. So depending on where I’m playing I can average anywhere from 200 carry/ 210 total up to 225 carry/ 250 total.

I can't wait for winter. I hear you get really good roll out on frozen lakes. 🤣

Seriously though you are correct. My carry and roll out changes by location and elevation. In Myrtle I'm shorter (Sea level and heavy salt air) in Denver Colorado much longer (5,300 feet in elevation and thin dry air). In the end the score is what counts anyway. I live at 1,500 feet in elevation and average about 230 to 240 yards.    

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2022 at 1:41 AM, NJDon said:

69 years old, I play a ping g30 at 12 degrees with a regular flex shaft, and I hit it between 190-210. My swing speed is low to mid 80's. Struggle to keep it in the fairway, but improving. Switched to Lefty 4 years ago.

First sorry didn't know that you posted here I've not received a notification from your post and a few others, I actually started out in my 20s as a Lefty because someone loaned me those clubs and I'm right handed and that's what I play now lol. 

On 10/21/2022 at 2:01 AM, Grand Stranded said:

Yeah silly thread, I thought it was interesting to see what others were achieving compared to me. and what I need to do to improve or be happy that I'm driving average for my age...

I actually don't know my average CARRY just total distances, and as you say too many outside conditions that change daily weather topography etc etc. I wouldn't try to carry a hazard more than 180metres even though my total distances have been 250+ metres, I'd hit 2 5woods...

On 10/20/2022 at 5:15 AM, fozcycle said:

Thanks Chisag, that’s what I like about Shotscope….it keeps me look8ng at real numbers, not guesses.

Same here. Shotscope and I assume ARRCOS as well are 'lie detectors'. 

One thing I like about the Shotscope App is that I can see my Performance AVG distances which knocks out the lows and the highs. So far in 2023 my PAVG is 191. If I look at the longest drives I had a few in excess of 220 but also some 160 drives. 

The one big thing I've found as I get older is the inconsistency in distances especially for long clubs. That's a component of this topic that hasn't been mentioned. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Shotscope and I assume ARRCOS as well are 'lie detectors'. 

... We have an even better lie detector. Hole #8 on my home course is a 90* dogleg around a lake. ONLY 220 to 230 to carry the water depending on the tee location. The amount of golfers I see try and drive the green and splash 20 yds short or shorter is just mind bogging. And I am talking a good drive, not a mishit. Can't claim the calibration is off either 😇

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My Shot Scope PAvg for driver is 196

34 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

My Shot Scope PAvg for driver is 196

That PXG driver is working well for you!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... We have an even better lie detector. Hole #8 on my home course is a 90* dogleg around a lake. ONLY 220 to 230 to carry the water depending on the tee location. The amount of golfers I see try and drive the green and splash 20 yds short or shorter is just mind bogging. And I am talking a good drive, not a mishit. Can't claim the calibration is off either 😇

We have a somewhat similar hole (except for the dogleg) at our club up north. From the bronze (5800 yds 123 slope) it's 201 yds to carry the water + an extra 10 yds to get up and over the bank. From the whites it's 240 to carry the water. Since our condo is directly adjacent to the green on #1 on weekends and holidays I can walk out in the evening and collect lots of brand new Pro V1's that never made it. Oh those overly confident youngsters who have no self knowledge  and lot's of money for new balls 😁. Here's a pic from the bronze tees. 

IMG_9565.jpg.4381585642b39541e608a8030ccaa720.jpg

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

That PXG driver is working well for you!

Yup, and that’s the 12.5* head with Senior shaft.

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Same here. Shotscope and I assume ARRCOS as well are 'lie detectors'. 

One thing I like about the Shotscope App is that I can see my Performance AVG distances which knocks out the lows and the highs. So far in 2023 my PAVG is 191. If I look at the longest drives I had a few in excess of 220 but also some 160 drives. 

The one big thing I've found as I get older is the inconsistency in distances especially for long clubs. That's a component of this topic that hasn't been mentioned. 

Yeah getting older sucks, we are getting slower both physically and mentally and I count myself at the leader of this pack. I'm yet to be truly focused on my pre-shot routine, and we all know what effect that can have. Just yesterday I shanked a wedge because my mind was blank lol..

14 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Nah just can't get it "PAvg" what's the P ?

PAVG is a Shotscope metric that throws out the outliers (both long and short) to calculate a performance average. So that downwind - downhill 350 yd drive wouldn't count nor would that 50 yd drive you chunked off the tee. Shortscope also has an 'average' metric along with highlighting longest. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart