Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

quality component companies?

Good morning...

Starting to get back into the clubmaking game. About 25 yrs ago took some courses at Golfsmith and really got into it. Made a lot of clubs that I gave to friends and used for prizes at friendly/family tournaments. Still swing a set I made for myself all those years ago. 

My son is starting to get the "golf bug" and I've found myself starting to tool around with some old clubs. With Golfsmith (which I really liked) out of business...I was wondering if I could get some of your opinions on good companies in the business today?

An internet search brings up a few (Monark, Golfworks, etc) but was wondering if anyone could recommend which companies they use?

I have set of Golfsmith P2's, that I quit playing years ago. The way the clubmakers that took the course used to talk about P2's, I would have thought that they would be a collector item going forward. I am looking to sell them, and they are complete with Golfsmith grips, but, so far no takers. Yeah, I never took the course, but put together a few clubs with components from Golfsmith. I used to get the component catalog in the mail. I also have in my bag, Snake Eyes Viper #3(18*), #4(21*) hybrids, which I put together myself. Holding up well, as they were my first clubs with weighted tech, which you could switch out weights on the back of the clubhead, to adjust your flight (draw,fade,neutral). Still works well today. I have not looked into component companies since, and just buy OEM over the counter, or from lesser known club companies. GigaGolf is in my bag, but not sure if they sell components, but sure offer choices when selecting clubs to purchase. Check the internet for sources...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Golfworks makes quality heads. My son just started playing. After spending too much time (and money) on eBay figuring out which irons for me, I had him work with a fitter to find the right shaft. The Mizuno shaft optimizer was very helpful if you have access. The KE4 tours with DG120 has been great for him and doesn’t break the bank

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Golfworks has been around a good spell,  used to buy lots of good quality items from them, even drove there one day for a first hand look.  I don't know what it was, or maybe still is today, but Hebron Ohio had 3 good size component companies doing business there at the same time with Pal Joey, Dynacraft, along with Golfworks if memory serves.  I always wondered  what about Hebron-Heath attracted component companies, much like the Rouge River attracted Ford.    KZG had some great heads too.  

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

3 hours ago, ballhawk said:

If you are looking for complete sets then Giga Golf in Florida is a great choice. They even have pre-owned sets available and their offerings are quality products. 

I have a set of their "Reva" hybrid irons in my bag. Quality is very good, and they play just as well. 3rd season with them, and no problems. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c