Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

When life WON'T give you lemons...make your own

Bobbers

I like to use yellow golf balls.  Don't ask me why, I don't think I could tell you.  But I do.  Which for the past couple of years has been a source of frustration due, I'd guess, to the ongoing "supply chain issues".  Take a look at most Golf Galaxy locations for the Maxfli Tour.   Load of white balls, few if any yellow ones.  Want to buy the bargain 4 dozen?  As long as  you want them in white you're good.  Yellow?  Not so much.

Oncore has updated the Elixir.  In white.  They won't even answer emails asking if/when a yellow version might  come available.

Snell?  Routinely sold out of the yellow colored balls.

I decided to make my own.

Easy as pie.

Four cups of water in a plastic pitcher in the microwave for 6 minutes.  Not quite at a boil but hot enough.  Add in a 7 ounce bottle of Rit's "Dye More" Daffodil product.  Add, gently so as not to get splashes of dye (I did this outside "just in case") a dozen golf balls.  Let 'em sit for as long as you like, the longer they sit the deeper the color.  Remove from the solution with a slotted spoon, place in some warm and soapy water for a minute, rinse, dry, and voila.

Total cost was $5 for the bottle of dye, $4 at the dollar store for the slotted spoon, a baking tin to use for the wash/rinse, and the 8 inch high "pitcher" to hold the water/dye/golf balls.

The results:

2022 Elixr Transformed.jpg

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Okay Bobbers, the oncore’s look great. Now go out and play them. We want to see them after, 9 holes, after 18 holes.  Will the yellow hold up?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

31 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Okay Bobbers, the oncore’s look great. Now go out and play them. We want to see them after, 9 holes, after 18 holes.  Will the yellow hold up?

I'll be more than happy to update as they're played.  We shall see what we shall see.  My guess is that bunker shots may wound their pride a bit but normal shots shouldn't have much, if any detrimental effect.  Time will tell if this experiment ends up in the "yay!" column or the "what the hell was I thinking?!?" column.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Would be interesting to note if there is any weight difference after the dye job.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I like to use yellow golf balls.  Don't ask me why, I don't think I could tell you.  But I do.  Which for the past couple of years has been a source of frustration due, I'd guess, to the ongoing "supply chain issues".  Take a look at most Golf Galaxy locations for the Maxfli Tour.   Load of white balls, few if any yellow ones.  Want to buy the bargain 4 dozen?  As long as  you want them in white you're good.  Yellow?  Not so much.

Oncore has updated the Elixir.  In white.  They won't even answer emails asking if/when a yellow version might  come available.

Snell?  Routinely sold out of the yellow colored balls.

I decided to make my own.

Easy as pie.

Four cups of water in a plastic pitcher in the microwave for 6 minutes.  Not quite at a boil but hot enough.  Add in a 7 ounce bottle of Rit's "Dye More" Daffodil product.  Add, gently so as not to get splashes of dye (I did this outside "just in case") a dozen golf balls.  Let 'em sit for as long as you like, the longer they sit the deeper the color.  Remove from the solution with a slotted spoon, place in some warm and soapy water for a minute, rinse, dry, and voila.

Total cost was $5 for the bottle of dye, $4 at the dollar store for the slotted spoon, a baking tin to use for the wash/rinse, and the 8 inch high "pitcher" to hold the water/dye/golf balls.

The results:

2022 Elixr Transformed.jpg

I now wonder if @Yellow Ballis really @whiteball with a dye job 🤔

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

As a fellow fan of the  yellow ball I can say that we all take an oath to keep that sort of information largely confidential.  As a member of that fellowship I was allowed to make this post simply as a recruiting tool...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

So he’s a wolf in Sheeps clothing? Maybe he is deep state WRXer! The conspiracy is real!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

... Might as well ask Pete Rose if he ever betted again his own team. The dye job looks professional Bobbers! But how did you keep the dye off the logo? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Might as well ask Pete Rose if he ever betted again his own team. The dye job looks professional Bobbers! But how did you keep the dye off the logo? 

The logo, number, alignment aid, etc., IF they absorbed any dye, maintained their color.  The right half of the "O" in Oncore is red on these balls and I was wondering if the yellow was going to make that part of the logo orange.  It didn't.  I'm guessing the ink they use to imprint the balls is pretty impervious to pretty much anything.  Guess I got lucky.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

I'm really curious to hear how these play, as I wonder if the dye affects the depth of the dimples.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

1 minute ago, PhilM75072 said:

I'm really curious to hear how these play, as I wonder if the dye affects the depth of the dimples.

Dye, unlike paint, is going to, at worst, add millimicrons to the exterior surfaces of the golf ball.  I used a digital micrometer before and after and there was no change in diameter, at least to the precision level of the tool.

Very good question, Phil.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter