Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

FedEx St. Jude

fixyurdivot

Such a gutsy play to take the drop and to then only stripe his next shot to inside of 7ft … such a great playoff.  

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Holy cow. Two balls bouncing on the wall?!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Crazy shots on the par 3. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had to take that as an unplayable; can't believe he thought about it for that long. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Had to take that as an unplayable; can't believe he thought about it for that long. 

My hope is that he just wanted to see what straka would do. 50% or greater was below the ground height surrounded by rocks. Not even tin cup would have attempted that

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Glad to see Zalatoris get a win on tour.   

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Got that right!!  Even SWMBO was yelling at him to take the drop!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I may be very wrong but can’t see how LIV will have this kind of excitement with their setup.

Great finish!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Holy cow. Two balls bouncing on the wall?!

This legit was me on Zalatoris’ tee shot at 11 … 

image.gif.979a76ca31a59e55e057f14d5556e680.gif

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

The guy has finally broken through. I can only imagine the party he is having tonight!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Congratulations Will Zalatoris!! Getting his breakthrough tour win... and doing it in the first round of the FedEx playoffs!!  We all knew it was only a matter of time.

I did not watch any of the final round but it sounds like a great finish and also a little drama with Cam Smith being assessed a 2 stroke penalty.  What I read is that he "simply did not understand the rule".  It seems nuts that these guys don't know this stuff better... and then you have a second set of eyes with the caddie... crazy.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Glad to see Zalatoris get the win. Hard to believe that earlier this year his putting was dragging his game down. Watched the playoff holes with my son and we had a blast. Every good shot answered with a good shot, every bad with a bad. Totally wheels off and great fun.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

11 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

.....  What I read is that he "simply did not understand the rule".  It seems nuts that these guys don't know this stuff better... and then you have a second set of eyes with the caddie... crazy.

...and then you have playing partners & caddies, numerous tour officials, tv commentators, etc. watching and seeing the dropped ball clearly on the line and it's not called until somebody is watching a replay later that night after his score card is signed and is accepted by the tour.  

For a long time now I've thought they need to have a time stamp when the scores become official and no adjustments are made after that.  Pick a time....Maybe 1 or 2 hours after the last group finishes and signs their cards..... scores are set in stone and it's too late to make an adjustment or DQ.  Just like a bad or lucky bounce on the course, if something is noticed after that time it is a 'rub of the green' regarding a lack of a scoring change.  If the infraction is found after the time stamp and no penalty is assessed, the player always has the option to withdraw if they feel guilty enough.  

Whether it's an appropriate source or not, the impetus for this may be the betting services that the tour makes money on.  I wonder what they did with the bets made on Smith at odds set for him two shots behind before the round versus the change in odds after his score was changed to be 4 shots back before the round started.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

11 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

...and then you have playing partners & caddies, numerous tour officials, tv commentators, etc. watching and seeing the dropped ball clearly on the line and it's not called until somebody is watching a replay later that night after his score card is signed and is accepted by the tour.  

For a long time now I've thought they need to have a time stamp when the scores become official and no adjustments are made after that.  Pick a time....Maybe 1 or 2 hours after the last group finishes and signs their cards..... scores are set in stone and it's too late to make an adjustment or DQ.  Just like a bad or lucky bounce on the course, if something is noticed after that time it is a 'rub of the green' regarding a lack of a scoring change.  If the infraction is found after the time stamp and no penalty is assessed, the player always has the option to withdraw if they feel guilty enough.  

Whether it's an appropriate source or not, the impetus for this may be the betting services that the tour makes money on.  I wonder what they did with the bets made on Smith at odds set for him two shots behind before the round versus the change in odds after his score was changed to be 4 shots back before the round started.

In the old days, this would be a clear DQ.  The Rules have been eased since then, so now the penalty is applied if the infraction is noticed before the close of the competition.  I'd really dislike making the rules even MORE forgiving, so that clear penalties are not applied.  this isn't football or hockey, where an official calls infractions in real time, some infractions clearly go unnoticed, the burden in golf is on the player to know the rules and play within the rules.  Now there's no penalty for ignorance, there's no motivation to try to get it right the first time, only the original penalty is applied, I don't want to actually REWARD ignorance of the rules.  Consider if this was Patrick Reed, people would be howling for his DQ for this type of infraction, people would say he was intentionally cheating.  No, apply penalties if they are known to have occurred.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

34 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Great points and I agree they should consider a revised rule regarding statute of limitation (time).  Also, I never really considered the gambling aspects but that makes perfect sense.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great points and I agree they should consider a revised rule regarding statute of limitation (time).  Also, I never really considered the gambling aspects but that makes perfect sense.

Regarding the gambling aspects, what would you say to Zalatoris backers if Smith had won by a single stroke, despite clear evidence and personal admission of an infraction?  Changes like this don't affect just one group of bettors, they can influence a lot of different sides.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In the old days, this would be a clear DQ.  The Rules have been eased since then, so now the penalty is applied if the infraction is noticed before the close of the competition.  I'd really dislike making the rules even MORE forgiving, so that clear penalties are not applied.  this isn't football or hockey, where an official calls infractions in real time, some infractions clearly go unnoticed, the burden in golf is on the player to know the rules and play within the rules.  Now there's no penalty for ignorance, there's no motivation to try to get it right the first time, only the original penalty is applied, I don't want to actually REWARD ignorance of the rules.  Consider if this was Patrick Reed, people would be howling for his DQ for this type of infraction, people would say he was intentionally cheating.  No, apply penalties if they are known to have occurred.  

I agree with all this except the Patrick Reed comparison. I'm not fan of his, but what Cam Smith did was so inconsequential to his shot and clearly not with any devious intention, that even Reed wouldn't get heat for it. The things Reed has done in the past have been intentional.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

The things Reed has done in the past have been intentional.

Reed got vilified for exactly following the correct procedure for an embedded ball.  I believe he would have been crucified for this.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Reed got vilified for exactly following the correct procedure for an embedded ball.  I believe he would have been crucified for this.

The way Reed picked up and held the ball was odd, and the way the ball bounced seems highly unlikely that it embedded. It wasn't nearly comparable to what just happened with Cam Smith. He also had the instances of brushing sand away in the bunker with practice swings, and tamping down thick rough behind his ball with practice swings.

14 minutes ago, LICC said:

The way Reed picked up and held the ball was odd, and the way the ball bounced seems highly unlikely that it embedded.

He followed the Rules.  He couldn't see the bounce, so he asked a nearby volunteer, who said the ball didn't bounce.  He marked and lifted it carefully.  He set it down to eliminate any chance of accidentally cleaning it.  When he wasn't sure it was embedded, he asked for an official, who agreed that it was embedded.  He followed the Rules, and was crucified.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia