Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What bounce for my lob wedge?

GolfSpy_KFT

48 minutes ago, Chester3488 said:

I know many folks who carry a low bounce 60 and a high bounce 56. 

I even know one dude who carries a low bound 58 and a high bounce 58. His next most lofted club is a 52. 

Everything is possible - if you carry two wedges like that I would assume that the low bounce one is used for full shots and the high bounce around the green and out of the sand.  If you play the same course almost exclusively you can really tailor your set to the course as you normally find it.  

Beyond a doubt the most generic thing to have is one of your most lofted wedges higher bounce and the other with less bounce.  Before I moved to SCORs about 10 years ago or so I used to have two full sets of wedges - my summer ones and my winter ones to account for the different conditions in Florida.  The summer ones had much more bounce because its very wet here now (it rains nearly every day for a bit - you just hope that's not when you're planning to play because most of our courses drain quickly.) Many of our courses even change their sand and their grasses depending upon the season of the year although the grass change is getting to be far less than it used to be as more hybrid grasses are employed on our area courses.

The V soles work in differing conditions far better so I don't have to go through the seasonal wedge change any more.

In the end the best more for the OP remains to go to a qualified fitter and work out what's best for his game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 hours ago, Chester3488 said:

You've got a lot of options. 
I assume you plan to keep the 44 PW. 

I know you didn't ask this question but I'd go: 50 GW, 54 SW and 60 LW. 

BTW - The 60 TM Hi-Toe also comes in 13 degree bounce. (Which indecently is what I carry.) 

Personally, I love the TM Hi-Toe wedges. But wedges are a very personal thing. I know guys who hate them. Some prefer a more traditional look. In my opinion what every you plan to play out of the sand should be a hi-toe. Why not give yourself more real estate when playing from the sand? I believe it will add to your confidence. It does mine. 

One thing to think about is what the ground is like when you play. I play early AM a lot and the ground is often wet and squishy. So, I like more bounce on my 60 than most folks do. If you are playing off rock-hard ground and tightly cut fairways that bounce will likely hinder your off the tight, hard lies. 

Yes, I am keeping the 44 PW. I have considered exactly what you said with a 50, 54, 60, but I really like my 56. I’ve had it for a long time and we get along pretty well the majority of the time. I was considering getting the 50 GW that goes with my irons set, but after some feedback in this forum I may look for something where I can choose the bounce that will fit what I want to do with a 50 most often, which is 3/4 to full shots. I have seen the Hi Toe wedges at the pro shop of the club I play most often, but haven’t been able to hit one since they don’t have any lefties 🙃 I do like the look of them though. Like you mentioned, it just has a look that I think would give me some added confidence, which is huge for me mentally. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I rarely hit a runner, I almost always go high. I used to play a 60/4 but after playing around with an 8 I bought a SM9 60/8. I found I can still get the ball up just as easy, even on hard pan, but when the grass is growing against you and kind of gnarly (even though it's still tightly mowed), I can get the club through it. My 60/4 could get hung up. 

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

I would take a close look at the Edison Wedges. Terry Koehler, aka “The Wedge Guy”, has been designing wedges for us mere mortals forever. His specific grind and design should make it much easier for you to choose and use. 

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

22 hours ago, revkev said:

What do you do when you have all of the above? 

That’s the Florida dilemma of course. At least AZ is basically dry year round. Our conditions change radically between March and July - like 2 different places. 

I live in Florida as well so I hear ya. That’s when when I was originally fitted my fitter suggested going mid road 10 deg bounce on everything (Callaway standard S grind). Once I refined my short game technique I was able to dial in more on what I desired from bounce and grind and now I’m into Mizunos. 

like RevKev described I’m overall a 16 Hdcp but my short game according to Arccos playing more around 7-8….I struggle out of the tee box

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, Jnoble89 said:

I am going to be adding either a 58* or 60* lob wedge to my bag this year during my offseason winter months. I'm looking for opinions/feedback on both loft and bounce. I don't take deep divots and want something that is going to give me the most versatility for varying lies. I saw Taylormade just released the Hi Toe 3 and the 60 comes in a 7 or 10 bounce.

I've currently got a 44* PW  & 56* SW in the bag, and will probably add a 52* gap wedge as well. 

TIA for the feedback!

I would add a 50* gap wedge, not a 52*, only because your PW is 44*, gapping 6*, not 8*, which is a lot. Having a 56* sand, I would go for a 60*, or 62*, for your lob, to keep your gapping consistent at 6*. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

2 hours ago, grbaker2 said:

Agree. I have T20’s raw at 54/12, 58/08. 7E8A9441-A66F-415A-BD44-A7F251996D7D.jpeg.3e8b7ae07dd82926dceb1c6e4e718804.jpeg

Depends on what type of courses you play. If they are lush, with sugar sand, play standard bounce on every wedge. If you play hardpan, like I do here in the Midwest, and most courses don't have sugar sand, play low bounce wedges, like I have. My sand is a 54*, with a 12 bounce, whereas standard bounce is 14. My lob is low, as is my gap wedge. I play all these public courses, and the sand traps actually have pea gravel mixed in the sand..Pisses me off, ruins a wedge over time. I TRY harder to stay out of bunkers!

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 8/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Jnoble89 said:

I am going to be adding either a 58* or 60* lob wedge to my bag this year during my offseason winter months. I'm looking for opinions/feedback on both loft and bounce. I don't take deep divots and want something that is going to give me the most versatility for varying lies. I saw Taylormade just released the Hi Toe 3 and the 60 comes in a 7 or 10 bounce.

I've currently got a 44* PW  & 56* SW in the bag, and will probably add a 52* gap wedge as well. 

TIA for the feedback!

Figuring about 3 yards per degree of loft for gapping.  I would dump the 4 iron if you don't hit it well.  I would look at a 48*, 52*, 56* and 60* with 12 yard gaps between clubs.  Trusting that I would gain more with these scoring clubs.  I personally love the Renegar wedges they are incredibly versatile.  I would seriously consider a high toe wedge and a 48* Titleist Sm 9 with 10* bounce.  The soles on the Renegar wedges are a thing of beauty.    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrFeXSj6vZiiI4Of7lXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1660377892/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2frenegargolf.com%2f/RK=2/RS=RN3LLVo.7pT7yamhSGupreHiON4-

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

On 8/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, revkev said:

All things being equal I’d say, yes. With the proviso that it’s best to do a fitting/gapping. But since you asked the lower bounce 60 is a sensible starting place. 🤫

TIA for the feedback!

TIA for the feedback!

Don’t guess and forget different suggestions on this thread, though intentions are good. GET PROFESSIONALLY FITTED. 

Here's a good, recent piece about Rory's lob wedge philosophy:

https://golf.com/gear/wedges/rory-mcilroy-taylormade-mg3-wedge-fedex/

Helps he can get a new wedge whenever he likes, but notes some things you should consider.

Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 8*

Fairways: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Steelhead - 3, 5, 7

Irons: :cobra-small: Greg Norman Oversize 4-PW (I have the 2 and 3i for the set, just not brave enough to use it).

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Tour Action 900 - 52*, 60*

Putter: :ping-small: Anser Pixel

Ball: MaxFli Tour XCG

9 hours ago, Golfdad12 said:

Don’t guess and forget different suggestions on this thread, though intentions are good. GET PROFESSIONALLY FITTED. 

I would fully agree with this statement if the players goal is to play their best golf.

I’ve learned through my time here that they are other motivations for playing and/or some people simply prefer trying to do it themselves. 

The other kicker is we are assuming the professional knows what he’s doing. I live in an area where a number of people throw a sign outside a door and build clubs. They have just enough of a clue to be dangerous but certainly no more knowledge than many people here. 

On the other hand there’s a nice handful of fitters/repair people who work with the touring pros and pro wanna bes who live all around me. They are also very good at working with the average player and up to date on equipment. That’s the type of professional you need to find. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like a previous commenter, Ive been told by my instructor that the 60* wedge is difficult to hit. Im presently a 90-92 player and fully expect to hit the 85-87 range in the next short while and he says just to stick with my 56* and open it up if I need to hit a big flop. Any comments to this suggestion would be greatly appreciated. TIA

3 minutes ago, thepeak said:

Like a previous commenter, Ive been told by my instructor that the 60* wedge is difficult to hit. Im presently a 90-92 player and fully expect to hit the 85-87 range in the next short while and he says just to stick with my 56* and open it up if I need to hit a big flop. Any comments to this suggestion would be greatly appreciated. TIA

OP here. One of the reasons I am considering a 60* is because I have a hard time making consistent contact with my 56 with the face opened up to hit a flop. I’ve gotten some great feedback through this thread, I’m sure you’ll see some as well!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

28 minutes ago, thepeak said:

... The biggest issue is a LW takes a longer swing from a shorter distance. Catching it thin or blading one can cause hesitation which leads to all kinds of problems. If you are willing to put in practice, lots of practice, anyone can play a LW regardless of index. But if you play every weekend and don't practice they are best left out of the bag. Full swings also require proper technique. If you don't hit down and through a LW, swinging harder (faster) just makes the ball go higher, not farther and you lose control. Being honest with yourself, your abilities and your willingness to practice will help with the decision. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 8/12/2022 at 5:49 PM, RDel90 said:

I live in Florida as well so I hear ya. That’s when when I was originally fitted my fitter suggested going mid road 10 deg bounce on everything (Callaway standard S grind). Once I refined my short game technique I was able to dial in more on what I desired from bounce and grind and now I’m into Mizunos. 

like RevKev described I’m overall a 16 Hdcp but my short game according to Arccos playing more around 7-8….I struggle out of the tee box

you get a wedge with around a 10 deg or so bounce, lay it open to get more bounce. It's a versatile club, only as good as it's operator.

@Golfnut0226 I have a 58 with 12 deg bounce and already very versatile with pretty good chipping control. Moreso talking spin on full swing wedges and approaches. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG